Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they really aren't at the cap of how good people can be, not even close, it's that smaller advantages become disproportionately more impactful as player skill gets higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tildes posted:

Oh wow that’s really stark. I guess it’s 50th percentile of controller players, not all players? Otherwise you’d be surprised that both the controller and MnK player are at the 50th percentile given one is so much more accurate.

The stuff when you get to the top 100 though seems rly hard to get around thinking about it- I think you’d have to assume everyone that high is probably at the cap for how good you can be and it’s rly just input method.
the accuracy differences are probably more dramatic than the chart suggests, because controller is much stronger at close range [matters more] but much worse at long range [matters less]. the closer the battle, the stronger controller is.

an mnk player tried controller in apex and in the r5 apex client aim trainer beat their mnk high score [shots landed] on the first day and shattered their mnk score by almost double after 2 weeks of practicing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_FqqhzLMw

also keep in mind top 100 players are going to be much harder to hit than median players.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

The fact that top 100 Mnk aimers had about the same accuracy as the average controller player is a good stat to show how out of hand AA has gotten. But it is unfortunate that the things that usually get pointed to are the top players, streamers, pros switching to pad etc because that's all we have the stats on. It's the average mouse user that misses shots occasionally and doesn't spend hours and hours in aim trainers that's getting it the worst, and that crowd is the one that's been severely disadvantaged these past couple years and just quitting the games.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i played a bunch of cod and my feeling was that being the average casual mnk player in that game would be soul crushing

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

amitlu posted:

The fact that top 100 Mnk aimers had about the same accuracy as the average controller player is a good stat to show how out of hand AA has gotten. ...

That's a really good point

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Taser is getting real old

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

Taser is getting real old

especially when you're at 95% of a deposit and thinking "haha no one can even kill me fast enough to stop me from gettin this bag" and then the taser interrupts you

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

shotguns might be good vs tazer since they have the same spread in hipfire

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

i am tired of Light players in general but i am not tired of one-shotting them with the rocket launcher

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Relyssa posted:

i am tired of Light players in general but i am not tired of one-shotting them with the rocket launcher

Wiping an entire light team with just a nuke and a followup rpg feels amazing. They can keep the taser.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Or torching the aggressive, cocky little shits who think rushing a heavy with a flamethrower is a good idea

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Flamer heavy checking in. I haven't even played the other classes, I'm having too much fun smashing buildings, torching dudes, and dropping some shields.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kool Aid Man'ing through buildings is so much fun.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Relyssa posted:

Kool Aid Man'ing through buildings is so much fun.

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't a Kool Aid Man skin. Make your character shout "oh yea!" While I burst through walls.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

withoutclass posted:

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't a Kool Aid Man skin. Make your character shout "oh yea!" While I burst through walls.

I'd bet good money on that being a battle pass skin eventually. It's a no brainer.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Triggs posted:

Or torching the aggressive, cocky little shits who think rushing a heavy with a flamethrower is a good idea

Some of the most fun I have had in The Finals is playing as a dash-light with the sword and getting into duals with sledgehammer heavies. Its just really great fun trying to dash in and out slashing at the heavy while avoiding the sledgehammer.

Also the most fun is playing as sledgehammer heavy and obliterating lights.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ospuze has an exclusive contract for drinks-related promotions

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

me on medium when heavy busts through wall and right clicks

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ospuze has an exclusive contract for drinks-related promotions

Pop lights with a sledge
Pour fire onto mediums with the flamethrower
Perform emojis over the bodies of your enemies

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Some of the most fun I have had in The Finals is playing as a dash-light with the sword and getting into duals with sledgehammer heavies. Its just really great fun trying to dash in and out slashing at the heavy while avoiding the sledgehammer.

Also the most fun is playing as sledgehammer heavy and obliterating lights.

This is true. The Call of Duty brain can't comprehend, but it is true.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi thread, installed 2.7 Hours ago and just finished my 10th match.

Game seems fun, I like the mobility with all the zip lines and bouncy pad you can bring. I've only played as a Medium with the default gun except for my last match I switched to the Grenade Launcher and was disappointed that it doesn't seem to destroy walls like I'd hoped/assumed. Reading this last page saying the Heavy can run through walls has me wanting to try that out pronto -- I've gotten my head caved in a few times by some big boys, but I didn't know they could go full Juggernaut.

Is there anything in particular I should spend my spacebucks unlocking first?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 16, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

for heavy, the dome shield is incredibly useful for taking cashboxes or reviving teammates

i dont recall who has gas mines by default, but i get a ton of usage out of those

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
does the rpg start out unlocked for heavy? if not definitely grab that asap

also the sa1216 auto shotgun absolutely shreds

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Hi thread, installed 2.7 Hours ago and just finished my 10th match.

Game seems fun, I like the mobility with all the zip lines and bouncy pad you can bring. I've only played as a Medium with the default gun except for my last match I switched to the Grenade Launcher and was disappointed that it doesn't seem to destroy walls like I'd hoped/assumed. Reading this last page saying the Heavy can run through walls has me wanting to try that out pronto -- I've gotten my head caved in a few times by some big boys, but I didn't know they could go full Juggernaut.

Is there anything in particular I should spend my spacebucks unlocking first?

The medium grenade launcher can destroy walls but it takes two full reloads worth to do so. If you put two explosive mines on a wall at once that will do the job a lot better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

does the rpg start out unlocked for heavy? if not definitely grab that asap

It does! But dang he moves so slow. I mean to be expected, but :(

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Sab669 posted:

It does! But dang he moves so slow. I mean to be expected, but :(

i felt the same way when i first started playing heavy but then you solo tank an entire team and suddenly it doesn't bother you quite so much

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

New update tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpFbuVapb0

solo bank-it and balance changes

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

New update tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpFbuVapb0

solo bank-it and balance changes

Mildly bummed at solo bank It being a limited time mode. Hoping it turns permanent.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The danger there would be it becoming the "primary" mode as the most like straight deathmatch if it were permanent.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

The danger there would be it becoming the "primary" mode as the most like straight deathmatch if it were permanent.

I'm fine with that tbh. My idiot teammates tend to treat it like that already so having a solo mode means less putting up with that nonsense.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Everything you'd expect to get the slap got the slap.

https://www.reachthefinals.com/patch-notes-7

Also V9S damage buff because ??? (Only changes medium bodyshot breakpoint from 8 to 7 shots.)

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 17, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do the Vaults / Deposit Boxes always only spawn in the same locations?

And what are they grayed out Letters on the UI? Where a Deposit Box might spawn?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 17, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sab669 posted:

And what are they grayed out Letters on the UI? Where a Deposit Box might spawn?

Cashouts are always spawned, and are always referred to with letters. Vaults only spawn when needed and are referred to by number. This does mean you can camp a cashout rather than fight over the vault, though in Quick Cash you only have a 50% chance of getting it right.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Unhappy Meal posted:

Everything you'd expect to get the slap got the slap.

Also V9S damage buff because ??? (Only changes medium bodyshot breakpoint from 8 to 7 shots.)

probably underutilized, plus light is meant to be the medium killer and having to land 8 shots with a semi auto is kinda dumb if you think someone is meant to be assassinating mediums

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

The letters are the currently active deposit points. They're gray instead of yellow because you currently do not have any coins to deposit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Relyssa posted:

They're gray instead of yellow because you currently do not have any coins to deposit.

Oh

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
A lot of people still don't know this: In tournments when there are two vaults, you can deposit both into a single cashout to make its cashout reward be the total of both vaults that were slotted into it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kwolok posted:

A lot of people still don't know this: In tournments when there are two vaults, you can deposit both into a single cashout to make its cashout reward be the total of both vaults that were slotted into it.

this is actually fantastic if you pull it off. if you have a good defensive position and a medic its basically gg as the other 3 teams dick eachother over trying to get in.

last tournament i was following behind a light, we both had cash boxes. When we get to the cashout I tossed my cash box over their head and into the cashout before they reach it. they stop for a second, befuddled, then turn around before i blast em. funniest thing in gaming

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 17, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kwolok posted:

A pro move I like to do is if you're in first place and it's gonna be the last cashout of the match you can do this and then fall back to guarantee that you'll move to the next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

patch notes