Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabkettle
Jan 6, 2014
OK, here is my plan for Animal Kingdom:

7:00 - get a LL for River Journey
Rope drop Flight of Passage w/early entry
Ride River Journey, then get a LL for the Safari
Ride Safari, get a LL for Everest
See the Lion King show
Ride Everest, get a LL for Dinosaur
Ride Dinosaur, get a LL for Tough to Be a Bug
See Nemo show (could skip this)
Watch Tough to Be a Bug

These are the main things we want to see. The 2 different animal trails, the bird show, the bone yard, and Planet Watch would be things to do if we have extra time. We don't usually want to rider the River Rapids because we don't like to get wet.

If I plan on hitting the 2 Pandora rides first thing, should I bother making River Journey my first LL, or is it better to do standby for River Journey and make my first LL for the Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kali River Rapids is closed in the winter so you don’t have to worry about that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Different tastes, but I think Nemo is better than Tough To Be A Big. If you just want to see it before it goes away then whatever, but I think Nemo is one of the best shows there while Bug is, for me again, kind of repulsive.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's not even close. Tough to be a bug is a medicore 3d show with a few animatronics, Nemo is a full blown Broadway caliber production.

Definitely make time for Planet Watch, you get to see some cool animals up close (photo ops with big snakes, etc), and the petting zoo is a great time for everyone.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

crabkettle posted:

OK, here is my plan for Animal Kingdom:

7:00 - get a LL for River Journey
Rope drop Flight of Passage w/early entry
Ride River Journey, then get a LL for the Safari
Ride Safari, get a LL for Everest
See the Lion King show
Ride Everest, get a LL for Dinosaur
Ride Dinosaur, get a LL for Tough to Be a Bug
See Nemo show (could skip this)
Watch Tough to Be a Bug

These are the main things we want to see. The 2 different animal trails, the bird show, the bone yard, and Planet Watch would be things to do if we have extra time. We don't usually want to rider the River Rapids because we don't like to get wet.

If I plan on hitting the 2 Pandora rides first thing, should I bother making River Journey my first LL, or is it better to do standby for River Journey and make my first LL for the Safari?

Okay so you're doing the thing again where you run all over the park.

get LL for NRJ
RD flight of passage
NRJ
LL Safari
Dinosaur (you're unlikely to need LL for this if you actually eat pandora first like you're planning to)
Tough to be a Bug
Safari LL
Lion King Show/LL Everest
Backtrack through Africa towards Asia and enjoy the shopping while you wait for your LL
Everest
Nemo (which is amazing and a good rest stop after Everest)
Leave the park or go visit the Boneyard on your way out, but honestly I'd stick around and watch the bird show in Asia. It's neat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recommend the drawing lessons if you want a nice quiet activity. It's a very fun thing to do and you get to make your own souvenier which is nice.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arquinsiel posted:

I recommend the drawing lessons if you want a nice quiet activity. It's a very fun thing to do and you get to make your own souvenier which is nice.

And there’s plenty of other stuff to look at in Planet Watch while your SO/kid/whatever does the art class. The affection section petting zoo is adorable, you can browse small caged animal exhibits, and if you’re lucky you can watch the animal medical team doing routine procedures.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I know food is controversial in this thread but Nomad Lounge is wonderful for relaxing drinks on the verandah, and the new breakfast options in Harambe will knock your socks off

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Nomad Lounge is the best. I wish I could just go there without having to go all the way to AK.

crabkettle
Jan 6, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not even close. Tough to be a bug is a medicore 3d show with a few animatronics, Nemo is a full blown Broadway caliber production.

That's good to know, we've never seen Nemo so didn't know what to expect. We'll still probably try to fit in Tough to Be Bug because the youngest member of our group is really into bugs.

crabkettle
Jan 6, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay so you're doing the thing again where you run all over the park.

See I thought it made sense that if we started at Pandora, which is all the way on the left side of the park, to move counter-clockwise through Africa, then Asia, then Dinoland, then back to the central Discovery Island for Bug. It looks like after Asia it might make sense to then pass through Discovery Island (stopping to see Bug) en route to Dinoland, where we would end the day.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

Kali River Rapids is closed in the winter so you don’t have to worry about that.

It's also the worst ride in any Disneyworld park in my opinion. Does anyone here disagree? I'm curious if that's just my opinion.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Superrodan posted:

It's also the worst ride in any Disneyworld park in my opinion. Does anyone here disagree? I'm curious if that's just my opinion.
not while tomorrowland speedway still exists

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

crabkettle posted:

That's good to know, we've never seen Nemo so didn't know what to expect. We'll still probably try to fit in Tough to Be Bug because the youngest member of our group is really into bugs.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's pretty much designed to guarantee crying kids every show. 'Youngest of the group' is the worst possible audience for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

crabkettle posted:

See I thought it made sense that if we started at Pandora, which is all the way on the left side of the park, to move counter-clockwise through Africa, then Asia, then Dinoland, then back to the central Discovery Island for Bug. It looks like after Asia it might make sense to then pass through Discovery Island (stopping to see Bug) en route to Dinoland, where we would end the day.

You can do that, too. It's a bit more circular. And it doesn't matter as much at Animal Kingdom because it's not the chugging jog you'd be in at say, Epcot. But it can still be a bit for the little adventurers.

Affection Station at Planet Watch is nice if you aren't used to farm animals. It's missed on me because if I want to pet a goat, I'll just go outside and mess with one of ours. But if the kiddos aren't used to them, it's worth a trip up to Planet Watch just for that. Plus their sheep are very polite friends, if they're out. And they're the same breed we raise and process.

Roadie posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that it's pretty much designed to guarantee crying kids every show. 'Youngest of the group' is the worst possible audience for it.

yeah, there's that, too. I always enjoy the shrieks of terror that, even after almost 23 years of being open, apparently nobody took 5 minutes to go watch it online and be ready for that thing that happens almost at the end. Always screams. Always crying kids.

It's intense but if you don't mind spoilers, crabkettle, we can tell you what to expect to better plan for the little ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

not while tomorrowland speedway still exists

The noise, smell, environmental effect etc all sucks, but it's pretty popular with kids because they are actually controlling the car.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yep my 11 and 6 year old love that ride. It’s one that basically guarantees giggling the entire ride as they crash into the median ever three seconds and my wife and I react overly dramatically to their driving

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aphrodite posted:

The noise, smell, environmental effect etc all sucks, but it's pretty popular with kids because they are actually controlling the car.

You’d figure they’d turn those into EVs, considering it’s Tomorrowland.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

You’d figure they’d turn those into EVs, considering it’s Tomorrowland.

$$$.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am one of those people that first experienced ITTBAB as a kid (10 or so) and seriously, gently caress that show if your kids aren't into their teens. Or have balls of steel.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Superrodan posted:

:dafuq:

What did Kali do to you?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hazo posted:

What did Kali do to you?

probably got em wet unexpectedly

e: to be fair, my mother was pissed at me when she realized a full 90 seconds into JP at IOA she was probably gonna get wet

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 17, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So now that more folks have ridden it, does anyone else really struggle with motion sickness from Tron? I've done it twice and it had me lying on a bench both times. A friend that works at MK (but not Tron) said he's heard that from a lot of people and was surprised. I assume it's the forward position? I've never had a great stomach for coasters, but never really had a problem with any that don't have inversions. If I give it another try I think I'll request the back cart that's the normal seat style.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife gets bad motion sickness from a lot of stuff (most notably Cosmic Rewind,) but she loves Tron.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I get sick pretty easily (like Star Tours good god), and Tron was no exception.

crabkettle
Jan 6, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's intense but if you don't mind spoilers, crabkettle, we can tell you what to expect to better plan for the little ones.

Haha, I know what to expect, and I think this kid can handle it. Plus I will give her some hints in advance so that she's still surprised but not horrified!

A question just occurred to me - can I book an afternoon VBG at the 1:00 release if I'm not in the park at the time? I was thinking on Epcot "Future World" day that I would try to get the GOTG VBG at 7:00, spend most of the day in Epcot, then hop over to MK for a few hours. Can I try to get a VBG for Tron at 1:00 if I'm still in Epcot? I think there have been some changes to how the virtual queues work recently so I didn't know if that was possible.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

What did Kali do to you?

It's more like what it didn't do. Check out the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_VzIIskA8

They're in the boat at 20 seconds in, but don't reach the top of the lift until 1:40. Then there is a really slow section followed by one actual drop a minute and 20 seconds later, and that's definitely the memorable bit. But the part after that, even though its faster, still feels pretty serene, and doesn't really do much except take you back to the end. Along the way the scenery is kinda nice to look at but there's no real meat to it.

If you swing over to Islands of Adventure and go on Bilge Rat Barges, it's almost the inverse. There isn't a huge drop anywhere, but the track layout is full of bits that speed up immensely and send you back and forth in a chicane pattern and the speed and motion just makes it much more fun and exciting to ride. It does slow down, but the slow bits have actual set dressing in them so you have things to look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmltWRgt_Vc

Maybe the difference in pacing is entirely a preference, which is kinda why I asked. In my defense I don't think I've ever been on Tomorrowland Speedway, so maybe I'd agree there.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So we are getting geared up for our RunDisney trip next month. We have one full day to do whatever with after the 5k on Friday. However, I am in total shock at the single-day ticket prices at WDW now.

If it's nice enough we might just make a pool day of it at Saratoga Springs, but any suggestions on what else we can do?

Right now, venturing over to SeaWorld to ride all the newer roller coasters is probably the favorite. I suggested Gatorland (I miss that place) but was shot down instantly. We won't have our daughter, so we aren't stuck having to do 100% family outings either. I haven't been to Orlando to do anything outside of WDW or trade shows in so long I forgot the other options. Open to any/all suggestions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Superrodan posted:

There are worse rides, but it's definitely one that's pretty situational. The wrong day and it'll ruin it for you. On the other hand, it can save a scorcher by cooling you down fast.

Coasterphreak posted:

probably got em wet unexpectedly

e: to be fair, my mother was pissed at me when she realized a full 90 seconds into JP at IOA she was probably gonna get wet
Last time we did JP the people behind us in the queue were laughing at us when me and my wife poncho'd up. It was great to do the "first time?" meme in reality.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually think that, while short, Kali is an enjoyable enough ride. The queue and overall atmosphere are great and the scenery while on the ride is cool. What's annoying though is that it is possible to ride it and end up almost completely dry. Depending on how the raft rotates, those facing backwards will get drenched, but those facing forwards will barely get anything. This is bad both when you want to get wet and when you'd rather not get wet.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Kali River falls into the “there’s not enough here but one drop that soaks Anya no matter where she sits but no one else gets wet” bucket.

Bilge Rat Barges is incredible and absolutely soaking wet to each person and is what I would dream of Kali to be.

TRON talk.
All guardians rides make me nauseous but TRON, I’ve rocked it with a full stomach after a direct sprint from Columbia Harbor House without an issue. Occasionally I can feel a little twinge at the end but I adore that ride so much, it’s truly my sci-fi love at Disney.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am unreasonably hostile to Bilge Rat Barges because I got fully soaked and then the sun vanished in loving June. Being colder outside than indoors was not what I had expected from Florida.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Kali is super underwhelming. Also, getting soaked as an adult sucks because chafing and wet socks are the worst in a theme park.

The traumatized kids is the selling part for me with Tough To Be a Bug. I'm just sad that it will be closed before I my daughter will be old enough to be scarred by it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Doronin posted:

So we are getting geared up for our RunDisney trip next month. We have one full day to do whatever with after the 5k on Friday. However, I am in total shock at the single-day ticket prices at WDW now.

If it's nice enough we might just make a pool day of it at Saratoga Springs, but any suggestions on what else we can do?

Right now, venturing over to SeaWorld to ride all the newer roller coasters is probably the favorite. I suggested Gatorland (I miss that place) but was shot down instantly. We won't have our daughter, so we aren't stuck having to do 100% family outings either. I haven't been to Orlando to do anything outside of WDW or trade shows in so long I forgot the other options. Open to any/all suggestions.

There’s all kinds of poo poo to do along I-Drive, you can easily burn a full day at smaller attractions without spending a ton of cash. The Orlando Eye and Fun Spot come to mind immediately, but there’s other stuff too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eat at The Nile Ethiopian on I-drive you're welcome

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Town is something that should be experienced. Think of like the lamest, most cliche boardwalk ever. It's worse than that. And then, don't actually put it next to water.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://youtu.be/68YMEmaF0rs?si=hSUKPUh-xjBFMe33
Cool as hell

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He invented a way to capture us so we can never leave.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Help! Disney made the floor woke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I think Kali wouldn’t get as much hate if Grizzly River Run didn’t like, improve on it in every way.

That being said, Popeye’s Undersea Adventure is just about the pinnacle of the genre.