Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KomradeX posted:

It sucks, so much

The thing that bugs me about Death Note's core "battle of minds" is that the only reason catching Light is even remotely possible is that he fucks up a bunch at the beginning and narrows the search down to "a kid in this specific part of Japan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The author really hates women, hope she transitions soon

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that bugs me about Death Note's core "battle of minds" is that the only reason catching Light is even remotely possible is that he fucks up a bunch at the beginning and narrows the search down to "a kid in this specific part of Japan."
they either needed to make Light likable (or at least a loveable bastard) or make L unlikable. it's just both two uncharismatic weirdos, and Light is a boring piece of poo poo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The second funniest part of Death Note is when L is like "I'm 95% sure it's him but I need it to be 100%" about the highest profile terrorist case on the planet.

The funniest is when the media stop reporting crime so Light turns to the internet to give him lists of criminals and, against all odds, this doesn't end up in complete chaos.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Death Note’s biggest problem is that it kills off all of its most interesting characters way too early.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Death Note’s biggest problem is that it kills off all of its most interesting characters way too early.

Nah, it just should have ended with the first round instead of bringing in extra super detectives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YaketySass posted:

The second funniest part of Death Note is when L is like "I'm 95% sure it's him but I need it to be 100%" about the highest profile terrorist case on the planet.

The funniest is when the media stop reporting crime so Light turns to the internet to give him lists of criminals and, against all odds, this doesn't end up in complete chaos.

I think my biggest thematic issue in Death Note is that I get the impression the author thinks we (the readers) should find Light's perspective "compelling." Like "he has a point, but takes it too far."

But IIRC the guy mostly just mass-murders petty criminals and rarely touches anyone with real power unless they're going after him.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

death bloat

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think my biggest thematic issue in Death Note is that I get the impression the author thinks we (the readers) should find Light's perspective "compelling." Like "he has a point, but takes it too far."

But IIRC the guy mostly just mass-murders petty criminals and rarely touches anyone with real power unless they're going after him.

Yeah, the author's idea about the impact on society is dumb as poo poo and also fash. Like batman

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

genericnick posted:

Yeah, the author's idea about the impact on society is dumb as poo poo and also fash. Like batman

In hindsight I get the impression that the author was working under the Saturday morning cartoon belief that basically everyone who ever commits a crime is caught “eventually” and put through the judicial system. Because Lights entire master plan doesn’t seem to account for the fact that the vast majority of crimes never get close to solved.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It makes sense that Light would be a dumb law & order type who has never really questioned what crime is, but IIRC there's also some snippet about how he's greatly reduced war too, which just raises a lot of questions the author has no interest in exploring.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Death note is dumb because the death note represents the only piece of the supernatural in the world so anyone who logics their way into a supernatural explanation for the murders isn't using logic correctly.
Because the premise has light already breaking the rules of logic and reason.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
death note is at least fun, while seraphs end is sooooo boring

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Waraboshi/status/1747561817537171881?s=20
https://twitter.com/Waraboshi/status/1747563114621435955?s=20

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
waraboshi-kun, nooo

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Watching One Piece and rooting for the Celestial Dragons

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The International Slave-Based Order

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've only seen the Netflix show are we really supposed to root for the sea cops

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tokin opposition posted:

I've only seen the Netflix show are we really supposed to root for the sea cops

no the sea cops defend slavery and their leaders are the main antagonists of the series

Augus has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jan 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The coolest moment in the whole series is Sogeking burning what is essentially the NATO flag.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
op fans still stan for garp, a guy whose career was made when celestial dragons had their regularly scheduled sporting event which consisted of hunting down and killing an entire island's population and a bunch of child slaves they brought in just for laughs. garp earned his title of 'hero of the marines' by saving the celestial dragons from pirates who interrupted the event.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

op fans still stan for garp

they do?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there are Good People in the marines, depicted as ignoring, rationalizing, or chafing against the extremely unsubtly evil system they maintain

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

there are Good People in the marines, depicted as ignoring, rationalizing, or chafing against the extremely unsubtly evil system they maintain

Just like every anarchist troop

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you want death note but good read akumetsu

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what if the Kira case went to court

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

oh man, good times

iykyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-eAJIoQFvI

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 17, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know how you can tell garp has never done anything to oppose the celestial dragons? because he's still a marine. it's not like celestial dragons are subtle or restrained about their endless crimes against humanity, and they use powerful, high ranking marines as guards. garp has absolutely 100% stood around and watched while celestial dragons committed atrocities. at most he might have done that "hold me back, bro!" poo poo like at marineford.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Bang Brave Bang Bravern was very generic but I'll watch a second episode just because the theme is such a banger

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the only good marine is an ex-marine

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kitfox88 posted:

Akumetsu was so good. It’s insane how little known it is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akumetsu rules but if you start examining it critically it shares the same politics as Juan Guaido.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the team behind it proceeded to do Wolf Guy Wolfen Crest, which uhh...

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Akumetsu rules but if you start examining it critically it shares the same politics as Juan Guaido.

jup. Gonna turn into a serial suicide bomber for austerity

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In our country we have one problem
And that problem is corrupt politicians skimming money off the top by funding too many infrastructure projects at the public's expense

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

wow, that sucks, i recommend a wide-ranging and theatrical campaign of assassinations

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a genuinely comical series once you see what the main guy (or guys I guess) is doing his "kickass violence" for.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I'm not discouraging anyone from reading it because it rocks, but it's even funnier for the reason Ytlaya says.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Honest Thief posted:

death note is at least fun
i disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, the team behind it proceeded to do Wolf Guy Wolfen Crest, which uhh...

I just read the Wikipedia page for this and what the gently caress?