Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

take me you ANIMAL posted:

What is the difference between 2 and 3 fan and OC edition vs regular? Just noise and if you have to manually overclock if you want?

The last card I bought was five years ago and just got the one that was on sale with free games to sell to lower the price more.

My case lists 350mm length by 160mm height, how much extra clearance do I need for not bending the poo poo out of the power cable?

Going to get a 4070S to replace my 1070ti with my tax refund, and don't really know what one to pick since they all look to be within $30 of each other.
For the 12VHPWR cable you usually need 30-40 mm of additional "height" (width) to bend the cable.

And what the Doctor said. The main difference between 2- and 3-fan models is that the latter are generally* higher tier SKUs with better voltage regulation and more capable cooling solutions, and more RGB lights - they're absolutely not worth it for performance reasons anymore, even though the manufacturers spin it like that ie. they have the "use 10%+ more power to get 2% more performance" problem. They're often (not always, consult reviews!) a bit better than the MSRP cards and Nvidias FE models** in terms of cooling and noise and where they're not, they sometimes have the option to switch to a "silent" BIOS with less aggressive cooling- and power defaults. Otherwise buy what's available / cheapest / actually fits into your computer case. Note the "OC" models were embargoed for an additional day so the shops will mostly list MSRP models first, which is why they're all within 30 bucks.

*) 3-fan MSRP models are not going to be meaningfully different from 2-fan MSRP models because they will have similar cost-minimized heatsinks / VRM underneath, and will use faster spinning (louder), cheaper fans. $30 more to get a slightly cooler or quieter card is alright, but I wouldn't pay much more than that - especially not the 100+ the real ~gamer~ oriented OC cards will be.
**) The 4070S FE is not very quiet though, so personally I wouldn't get that over other MSRP cards (luckily they're not selling it in my country :rubby:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
AMD's countering with discounts:

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX - $999
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT - $749
AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE - $549

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/amd-unveils-promo-pricing-in-wake-of-nvidias-super-launch

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So the 7900 GRE is $50 more than the 7800 XT now? If the GRE was actually available in the west that’d really gently caress things up for the 7800 XT I’d imagine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Branch Nvidian posted:

So the 7900 GRE is $50 more than the 7800 XT now? If the GRE was actually available in the west that’d really gently caress things up for the 7800 XT I’d imagine.

The 7800 XT is on its inevitable way to being a $400 GPU now, at which point it seems decent?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It already felt like a pretty good deal/card in the present market, but if it goes to $400 that becomes a default recommendation for nearly anyone that doesn’t specifically need something higher end for features or resolution/fps

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
tengen toppa geforce lagann

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

xfxHOLiC

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Melancholy of Huáng Rénxūn

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like this one.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have to believe the names are intentionally over complicated. What benefit Nvidia, or any other company with similarly badly named products, actually derive from that I have no idea; but you don't just "accidentally" have a product stack this confusing.

I would agree. I went in to a computer store to buy a 1650 Super and walked out with a 1650 non-Super once by accident. I realized my mistake in the parking lot and thankfully could do an easy return. I had said Super to the saleperson too, so they also had made a mistake (I hope). For reference the 1650S had 40% more cuda cores, 50% more memory bandwidth, and an updated nvenc chip. It was closer to a 1660 than a 1650.

Not everyone is a power user. Maybe someone gets word of mouth recommended a 4070 and pays more for something they didn't need. Same for the reverse, maybe someone sees 4070 on a prebuilt and presumes its the same as that Super review they half remembered. I feel this is the same reason laptop CPUs are such a mess, because once you buy the specs kind of retreat to the background even if they're not what you thought they were.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The GeForce (2024)

God this made me groan. My vote is cast.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

buglord posted:

God this made me groan. My vote is cast.

Motorola has been doing this with their phones for a while. Moto G Play (2021), Moto G Play (2023), so and and so forth.

Also Motorola sucks - do not buy Motorola phones.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
(Arthas voice) It's begun.

4070 SUPERs are now live on Newegg and will likely be live on other sites soon. Cheapest models so far are the Zotac Twin Edge and Asus DUAL coolers right at MSRP (and Gigabyte will be offering a WINDFORCE model for MSRP but it isn't live yet), with everything else being up toward $650. (I have no idea who'd buy that TUF model for that price, lol.) Europe also has offerings from Palit, Gainward and Inno3D, depending on exact market, that are roughly at MSRP as well and that those of us Stateside are unlikely to see these days. The models from Zotac and MSI maintain the impressive svelte-ness that some 4070 models achieved, being 234 and 242mm, respectively.

Speaking of size, as quietly announced, Gigabyte has launched their new 4070 standard card, featuring a two-fan implementation of the ~WINDFORCE~ cooler, and it measures in at a practically teeny 201mm. I actually wonder if that one might attract some ITX fanatic attention, even moreso than the 4070 Zotac model did (which actually made for a shockingly good higher-end ITX GPU, it turns out).

Anyway, those prices likely aren't coming down for a bit, so I still don't feel too much buyer's remorse for my Black Friday deal on a standard 4070. (:negative:)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Motorola has been doing this with their phones for a while. Moto G Play (2021), Moto G Play (2023), so and and so forth.

Also Motorola sucks - do not buy Motorola phones.

I mean, cars have done it forever. It can work if you’ve got clear ways of telling one year from the next. Arguably better than 4060/4060Ti/4060Super/4060SuperTi (and that’s without the resellers adding SUPRIM XREM 420 WEEDLORD XC OC WAIFU 420 to each model.

But cars do the same poo poo too with dumbass lettering that is meaningless marketing poo poo (EX/LX/SE/T/TDI etc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tehinternet posted:

I mean, cars have done it forever. It can work if you’ve got clear ways of telling one year from the next. Arguably better than 4060/4060Ti/4060Super/4060SuperTi (and that’s without the resellers adding SUPRIM XREM 420 WEEDLORD XC OC WAIFU 420 to each model.

But cars do the same poo poo too with dumbass lettering that is meaningless marketing poo poo (EX/LX/SE/T/TDI etc

What kills me is that they have an unused digit right there. Just call it the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063, etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I suspect people would have the same problem keeping 4070/4071 straight than they would keeping 4070/4070Super

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cyrano4747 posted:

What kills me is that they have an unused digit right there. Just call it the 4060, 4061, 4062, 4063, etc.

Marketing would probably hate that because it makes it harder to slip models in between later if you've already got a 4060 and 4061

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Marketing would probably hate that because it makes it harder to slip models in between later if you've already got a 4060 and 4061

No reason you have to go sequentially as long as you keep the order logical.

If it's going to go 4070 < 4070S < 4070Ti < 4070 Ti S you could call the TI a 4075 and slot the others in as appropriate. 70, 73, 75, 77 if you wanted. Lots of options for leaving room to slide in your eventual cut-down model where you're trying to run out stock.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RTX 4075.3.4 v2 FINAL

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

RTX 4075.3.4 v2 FINAL

Unironically still an improvement.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just refer to the cards by the git commit hash of their verilog source

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RTX 4070++

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Squibbles posted:

I, too remember the 2060 KO.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I suspect the final digit is for 'in place" revisions where their maybe architecture changes but the same performance target. They've done this before, marketing wise they just keep it at zero. So probably used internally but not for marketing.

Having two digits represent performance target is not any clearer though, and in the 4070/4070S/4070ti/4070tiS only one of those actually existed when they announced the models so it's fair to say this wasn't exactly the long-term plan.

The real answer is: The 4070 should have been the 4060 (which should have been the 4050), the 4070ti should have been the 4070, and now you would have just had a Super refresh. That would have been the cleaniest but I don't think NVidia cares all that much about clean model labels. Yes whenever you release mid/late cycle models inbetween there is basically nothing you can do that would prevent people with half-remembered model numbers confusing things.

We had this 2 gens ago too with a 2070 > 2070S > 2070ti> 2080 > 2080S > 2080ti. These naming conventions are totally arbitrary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

You can still use decimals to have an infinitely granular product stack

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

(Arthas voice) It's begun.

4070 SUPERs are now live on Newegg and will likely be live on other sites soon. Cheapest models so far are the Zotac Twin Edge and Asus DUAL coolers right at MSRP (and Gigabyte will be offering a WINDFORCE model for MSRP but it isn't live yet), with everything else being up toward $650. (I have no idea who'd buy that TUF model for that price, lol.) Europe also has offerings from Palit, Gainward and Inno3D, depending on exact market, that are roughly at MSRP as well and that those of us Stateside are unlikely to see these days. The models from Zotac and MSI maintain the impressive svelte-ness that some 4070 models achieved, being 234 and 242mm, respectively.

Speaking of size, as quietly announced, Gigabyte has launched their new 4070 standard card, featuring a two-fan implementation of the ~WINDFORCE~ cooler, and it measures in at a practically teeny 201mm. I actually wonder if that one might attract some ITX fanatic attention, even moreso than the 4070 Zotac model did (which actually made for a shockingly good higher-end ITX GPU, it turns out).

Anyway, those prices likely aren't coming down for a bit, so I still don't feel too much buyer's remorse for my Black Friday deal on a standard 4070. (:negative:)

they went live yesterday dude. it's not that the other MSRP models aren't live yet, they sold out already.

the asus 4070 super dual is probably the best one to buy right now. the cooler on it is the best dual-fan cooler on the market, better than crappy triple-fan coolers like the windforce

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Looking at some of the prices of the AIB 4070 Ti Supers, it seems like that card might be pretty hurt cost/performance-wise by not having an FE model, with the 4080 Super now at $999. Some of the prices I saw yesterday on Newegg and Best Buy for the coming-soon card were in the $850-870+ range, which puts the 4080 Super (FE) not that much more if it'll be available and not sold out all the time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

they went live yesterday dude. it's not that the other MSRP models aren't live yet, they sold out already.

I actually thought the launch was today. I am, evidently, dumb and slightly addled from being snowed in for nearly a week!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
With the prevalence of scaling nowadays, it can be hard to tell what the actual demand is at launch

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

Looking at some of the prices of the AIB 4070 Ti Supers, it seems like that card might be pretty hurt cost/performance-wise by not having an FE model, with the 4080 Super now at $999. Some of the prices I saw yesterday on Newegg and Best Buy for the coming-soon card were in the $850-870+ range, which puts the 4080 Super (FE) not that much more if it'll be available and not sold out all the time.

Typically the "coming soon" prices are higher then what they are when they hit the street, but I do think you're right the prices might be upside down for a little while.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mobby_6kl posted:

You can still use decimals to have an infinitely granular product stack

Dewey Decimal System for video cards

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squibbles posted:

Library of Congress, please

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

I still have no idea how that works, let's just stick to subdividing the products as necessary.
4070: 4070
4070 S: 4070.25
4070Ti: 4070.5
4070Ti Super: 4070.75

Need to slot it one more card? No problem!

Geekerwan has a test of the 4070 as well. Mostly seeing +20% over the base card but a pretty big VRAM issue in Alan Wake 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtgWc5UGQ8

Not only 4K with RT is completely unusable, framegen actually decreases performance. Which is a bummer, I wouldn't expect any 4070 card to be a high-FPS 4k monster but a $600 card shouldn't fall on its face like that.

They also mention that by bumping the power limit it should be possible to match the original Ti, but don't seem to actually test that.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

The 7800 XT is on its inevitable way to being a $400 GPU now, at which point it seems decent?

so 50% of the price of 4070 ti super for 3% better raster?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the asus 4070 super dual is probably the best one to buy right now. the cooler on it is the best dual-fan cooler on the market, better than crappy triple-fan coolers like the windforce

speaking of the dual, I had my eye on the 4070 dual before the super refresh was announced and I'm now making bad choices and looking at the 4070 super ti instead. I don't see asus listing a 4070 super ti dual on their website right now, but does anyone know if there's a chance they're gonna make one?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doesn't look like it, presumably they don't think the dual cooler will cut it at the higher TDP of the ti super

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

anyone know what API is recommended for Saint's Row, DX11, 12 or Vulkan?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think the recommended API is the one which deletes the saints row folder

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hey i want to give volition's final title a fair shake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011