Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the whole point of 28 Days Later was that the "Zombies" were all still alive, just lobotomized to the point where all they could do is vomit blood everywhere and skullfuck anyone within arms reach. They were so pissed they literally couldn't think about eating, meaning they were all going to die out in a few weeks due to starvation, exposure, etc.

In other words, why the gently caress is this getting another sequel?

Maybe they looked at how people responded to covid and figured they could do a movie about people who would intentionally infect themselves to prove zombies aren't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I thought the whole point of 28 Days Later was that the "Zombies" were all still alive, just lobotomized to the point where all they could do is vomit blood everywhere and skullfuck anyone within arms reach. They were so pissed they literally couldn't think about eating, meaning they were all going to die out in a few weeks due to starvation, exposure, etc.

You've basically described the end of every horror franchise film that has had multiple sequels. There's always something that allows the monster(s) to come back. And it's usually stupid as hell.

My guess would be the virus is still hidden away somewhere, gets out again and whoops all rage zombies....again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

joylessdivision posted:

You've basically described the end of every horror franchise film that has had multiple sequels. There's always something that allows the monster(s) to come back. And it's usually stupid as hell.

Oh occasionally, particularly late into a horror series, they just don't even bother with a reason. They know the audince doesn't care why it's back. I did like the one Jason one, where someone digs up Jason body just to make sure he's dead, then jason randomly gets struck by lightening and comes back to life.

That was delightfully stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

They kept showing those chimps riot footage for some reason.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Couldn’t they have a lab-isolated sample of the virus that is mishandled somehow, leading to a new outbreak?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If each zombie lives for a month, then you only need like 340 generations of them.

(Also the second movie established the existence of asymptomatic ‘carriers’.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Oh occasionally, particularly late into a horror series, they just don't even bother with a reason. They know the audince doesn't care why it's back. I did like the one Jason one, where someone digs up Jason body just to make sure he's dead, then jason randomly gets struck by lightening and comes back to life.

That was part 6 and Tommy was making sure Jason was dead/having a freak out.

The director was also super open about that movie being consciously silly. It's my favorite of the franchise because it's very aware of what it is, what it's doing and who it's for. Also Jason looks pretty dope, only looking better in part 7 because it was directed by an FX artist who put the details of the previous 4 (Jason is only in 4 of the original 6 movies) incarnations and the damage taken in those movies into the makeup/costume.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

duz posted:

Maybe they looked at how people responded to covid and figured they could do a movie about people who would intentionally infect themselves to prove zombies aren't real.

28 Years Later: Virus, Shmirus

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The movie will take place in a world where everyone has the rage virus and is just super pissed off all the time, but has learned to force themselves to eat every few days and then go back to raging

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

28 Years Later: after the big epidemic, a more mild variant of the Rage Virus has become endemic in the population and now everyone's just sorta pissed off all the time

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's just Mayhem, which I thought was a lot of fun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

That's just Mayhem, which I thought was a lot of fun.

Kind of a lovely ending but yeah a good movie.

the comic, Crossed, which isn't very good, did have a good arc explaining how the problem would stick around. I won't spoil the one clever thing Crossed ever did but it was the +100 arc, written by Alan Moore

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

the comic, Crossed, which isn't very good, did have a good arc explaining how the problem would stick around. I won't spoil the one clever thing Crossed ever did but it was the +100 arc, written by Alan Moore

Are you sure you're not thinking of The Sadness? Similar premise, just edgier and more extreme.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Sadness was so fun

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

joylessdivision posted:

dr_rat posted:

I feel like they kinda reined in the goofy nonsense explanations after the 2000's, the era when everyone went to space. Then we hit the era of remakes, reboots and sequels that arbitrarily ignore 90% of the franchise because I guess Hollywood thinks we're too mature and respectable for that poo poo now (but we're really not, please give us more deranged weirdo poo poo like Malignant please).

IIRC, John Carpenter did a seminar a while back where he talked a bit about the reasoning behind horror movies turning into endless franchises and the answer pretty much boiled down to "people already know what 'insert popular horror movie name here' is all about, so we can cheap the gently caress out on advertising and still expect to get butts in seats for an easy profit, double that if its October".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Then we hit the era of remakes, reboots and sequels that arbitrarily ignore 90% of the franchise because I guess Hollywood thinks we're too mature and respectable for that poo poo now.
True, but sequels that arbitrarily ignore 90% of the franchise I think have always been a thing to an extent. Writers seem to always be fine with just totally ignoring any movies in a franchise they thought sucked I think (possibly also at the director/producers request as well).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

It wasn’t even that clever and it saddened me to see Moore rolling around in the poo poo pit that was Crossed

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Professor Shark posted:

It wasn’t even that clever and it saddened me to see Moore rolling around in the poo poo pit that was Crossed

Go on, spoil it. I'll never read any Crossed but I'm intrigued.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Some serial killer practices husbandry on the Crossed and sets up a multigenerational plan where the Crossed will appear in cycles until all of humanity is gone, with the idea that humans will fight back the Crossed and succeed in eliminating most of them, but not all, and after a couple generations the Crossed will become myths and humans complacent, then there will be a burst of Crossed.

Or something like that. It was a really dumb “no happy endings! Everyone is doooooomed!” type thing.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen went off the rails too so I think Moore might have just reached a point in his life where he should have retired.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The people in the future also speak with a vocab derived from military slang but with some child like approach to things, which makes reading the comics set in that time very frustrating to read when it's just "zombies but not dead just violence and rape"

The villains of the movie the sadness is based on crossed and imo it's a hot mess which appeal to people (who aren't me)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s got some incredible gore and a few hilarious head explosions

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the 2007 movie 28 Weeks Later shows that there are carriers who don't get angry and starve to death and that is how the virus spreads

so ya know, probably continuing off of that premise

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

the 2007 movie 28 Weeks Later shows that there are carriers who don't get angry and starve to death and that is how the virus spreads

so ya know, probably continuing off of that premise

Oh yeah I know all about 28 Weeks Later, I'm mostly just venting at some lovely movie trend since I liked the ending of the original so much.

It just frustrates me whenever they toss the themes and ideas behind something that really didn't need or want a sequel in favor of some inferior follow-up. It doesn't always turn out that way, there's been plenty of great sequels or reboots out there and I'll gladly eat my own words if this one turns out good. It just seems like for every T2 we get, there's like 50 more Genisys' waiting in the wings. At least we sometimes get some hilarious promo shots out of the deal, but that's still not enough to make me drop 15 bucks to see it in theaters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Oh yeah I know all about 28 Weeks Later, I'm mostly just venting at some lovely movie trend since I liked the ending of the original so much.

It just frustrates me whenever they toss the themes and ideas behind something that really didn't need or want a sequel in favor of some inferior follow-up. It doesn't always turn out that way, there's been plenty of great sequels or reboots out there and I'll gladly eat my own words if this one turns out good. It just seems like for every T2 we get, there's like 50 more Genisys' waiting in the wings. At least we sometimes get some hilarious promo shots out of the deal, but that's still not enough to make me drop 15 bucks to see it in theaters.

you can't mention that and not post the shoot

I would watch an hour long documentary about the thought process that lead to this shoot and the decision made to publish them. I know EW shoots are always famously bad but this is simply bewildering.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Very funny with the Matt Smith picture seeing as he was barely in the released movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's the only one that seems to realize how ridiculous it all is. And then he went on to be the villain in Morbius.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Firing a rifle one-handed with your elbow locked out and the muzzle flash photoshopped in. King poo poo.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pirate Jet posted:

Firing a rifle one-handed with your elbow locked out and the muzzle flash photoshopped in. King poo poo.

Uhh that's clearly a flame thrower or some kind of plasma based weapon sir.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also no muzzle, his mouth is the one photoshopped!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Very funny with the Matt Smith picture seeing as he was barely in the released movie.
He died during the shoot obviously

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Martman posted:

He died during the shoot obviously

He's the only one not pointing at the ground, I think he went to jail.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I would watch an hour long documentary about the thought process that lead to this shoot and the decision made to publish them. I know EW shoots are always famously bad but this is simply bewildering.

Matt Smith clearly the evil one, everybody else follows John's request of only shooting kneecaps.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

Every time I see these pictures, I can hear them.

AHHHH

AAAHHH

AGGGHHH

GRAAAHH

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Snowman_McK posted:

This is one of those things where you can keep coming back to it years later and find some new bizarre detail, like the photoshopped screaming, the angle of the guns, or the fact that they're all throwing down on a random airport tarmac for some reason (for no reason).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Clarke’s eyebrows outshining everyone else as usual

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Half of these pictures being dutch angle'd to death is another thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I swear to god Jai Courtney’s head was photoshopped onto a different body.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I personally can't wait for 28 Millennia Later.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I swear to god Jai Courtney’s head was photoshopped onto a different body.

They swapped Courtney's and Smith's heads just to see if they could.

They couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the war face didn't do favors for this either