Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elviscat posted:

My GF was at an EA station and some rear end in a top hat slammed the stop button and plugged his Leaf in to charge instead.

I'm frankly surprised the station let the ChaDeMo deliver power while the CCS was still plugged in, I bet he fuckin' tugged on that poo poo while locked until the data pins lost contact.

He has a leaf, so he made like a tree and leafed (off with your GFs charger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

My GF was at an EA station and some rear end in a top hat slammed the stop button and plugged his Leaf in to charge instead.

I'm frankly surprised the station let the ChaDeMo deliver power while the CCS was still plugged in, I bet he fuckin' tugged on that poo poo while locked until the data pins lost contact.

One reason to use mid-high power public AC stations rather than fast here is that pretty much every station doesn't have publicly accessible e-stop button, while all DC do. Also a locked type 2 would require jaws of life to disengage, so it's kinda rare to see people attempting to forcefully remove.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh hell yeah found a red Bolt in idaho, might be pulling the trigger

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Red is a great color for a Bolt IMO.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how well the ID4 deals with the current weather in NW Ohio. Left it at the airport for all of last week, and it lost basically no charge. Have it charging / sitting outside in 0-10 F weather, and -20F windchill, it gives no fucks.

On the flip side, the ability to warm up the cabin prior to getting into the car, and then getting into a car with pre-heated seats and a pre-heated steering wheel without running ICE is awesome.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
helped someone at an electrify America charge their kia which they towed in thinking it had 0 battery, they told me "The lights won't even turn on" and realized they had a dead 12v battery, tow driver came back around and boosted their battery, a success story,

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Don't Kia's have a button that can use the driving battery to give a jump to the 12v battery or something similar to that? Or am I way off?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Don't Kia's have a button that can use the driving battery to give a jump to the 12v battery or something similar to that? Or am I way off?

I saw that online when I was there, but I couldn't find the button.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Today at work, from like the 5th person I've heard pose roughly the same question, someone asked why they can't just put an alternator on the wheels of a Tesla to recharge the battery so you would never need to charge it.

What ARE they teaching in school these days?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

The car charges it when running and when plugged in (or at least it should) there’s a little light on the dashboard that indicates when it’s being charged. I don’t think (for the EV6) there’s a button, it’s just something it does. I did have my 12V die on me last year one weekend, never figured out what did it but a jumper got the car running again and I just let it idle for a bit before turning it off again. I bought one of those battery jumper/boosters and keep it in the car now just in case.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Ioniq classic has a 12V reset button and I'm not sure exactly what it does.

Edit: just the hybrid I guess

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Today at work, from like the 5th person I've heard pose roughly the same question, someone asked why they can't just put an alternator on the wheels of a Tesla to recharge the battery so you would never need to charge it.

Not common sense apparently. Or basic thermodynamics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Wonder how much of an alternator it would take to constantly charge a Tesla at 100kph and then how much hp would that take to drive it?

Indiana_Krom posted:

Certainly not elementary physics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Video poker

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The Ioniq classic has a 12V reset button and I'm not sure exactly what it does.

Edit: just the hybrid I guess

After an extended time of inactivity or low battery voltage the car will disconnect the 12v battery, hitting that button reconnects it. This is to protect the battery as the car does not have accessible jump posts for the small 12v battery.

When it is disconnected the car has no power and acts just like if the battery was completely dead.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A couple years back, Tesla released an update that would keep the HV battery contractors closed in case the 12V battery dies so you can at least drive the vehicle until you get around to replacing it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kill me now posted:

After an extended time of inactivity or low battery voltage the car will disconnect the 12v battery, hitting that button reconnects it. This is to protect the battery as the car does not have accessible jump posts for the small 12v battery.

When it is disconnected the car has no power and acts just like if the battery was completely dead.

As mentioned that's just the hybrid version - the Ioniq Electric has an easily accessible 12v battery right where you'd expect it to be. It is pretty dinky looking but the car does seem to do a decent job of keeping it topped up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s finally happening! Just got back from a test drive and put down a deposit. Going back tomorrow afternoon with a cashier’s check for 12 large and walking out of there with a gently used (6k miles) 2020 Bolt.

I’ll post pics tomorrow night. Thanks for dealing with my dumb questions!

And holy cock snacks, that little hatchback goes fast.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s finally happening! Just got back from a test drive and put down a deposit. Going back tomorrow afternoon with a cashier’s check for 12 large and walking out of there with a gently used (6k miles) 2020 Bolt.

:getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Deal fell through on the red Bolt because these poo poo eating bottom feeders won't budge on sticking me with mandatory accessories

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Congratulations! That's a fantastic deal.

I was just dodging downed trees and freezing intersections to get to work in my '17, they're great little cars.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Deal fell through on the red Bolt because these poo poo eating bottom feeders won't budge on sticking me with mandatory accessories

Boooo! What are they pushing? Floor mats and clearcoat?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Failson posted:

Congratulations! That's a fantastic deal.

I was just dodging downed trees and freezing intersections to get to work in my '17, they're great little cars.

Boooo! What are they pushing? Floor mats and clearcoat?

Window etching :nyd:
recovR anti theft (glorified airtag) :nyd:
Brake light pulse thing :nyd:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Those anti theft devices are a security nightmare (more so than the car already is).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm a chump and signed off on the $400 blinking brakes upgrade for my Bolt EUV because it was already installed and idgaf. I did decline the rust undercoating and thankfully those were the only 2 options they gave me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I made sure the dealership I bought from didn't pull any of this poo poo because we bought my wife's car from a place that tried it with the etching but he said no the auto group doesn't do that anymore.

Also made sure they didn't slap any dealer stickers on and poo poo.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Brake light pulse thing :nyd:

Wait wtf is this and why

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My dealership didn't even try to put their logos on the Bolt, I think they were embarrassed to be selling an electric vehicle. They didn't even include a dealer branded rear license plate frame!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wait wtf is this and why

They charge $300 to have some C-tech hastily wiretap a $20 module into your third brake light so it flashes when applied to be more 'noticeable and safer'. Depend on your locality it may actually be illegal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I ordered my Mach-E from a commercial truck dealer and it was one of the most pleasant car buying experiences of my life because their entire business is selling like millions of dollars of trucks to AT&T and the explicitly said we don't want your business, it's not worth my time but I guess I technically have to sell you the car per our Ford contract. But seriously, don't bother me, I don't like you.

"We didn't discuss this but please don't put any dealership branding on the car." "Why would I waste that on you, a license plate frame costs me like $2 and I never want to have to talk to you again."

"So, when is a good time for my husband and me to come in and sign the paperwork?" "What? I'll send you a Docusign when the car is unloaded" "OK, when is a good time for me to pick it up? "I don't care, we open at 7, the receptionist has the keys."

No upsale, no haggling, do you want the car or not because I'm trying to close a $10m deal with Safeway and I'm already annoyed with you.

darnon posted:

They charge $300 to have some C-tech hastily wiretap a $20 module into your third brake light so it flashes when applied to be more 'noticeable and safer'. Depend on your locality it may actually be illegal.

The US DOT has said they are illegal.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 18, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They tried to get me on this very obvious scam of giving them 400$, that could turn into a 3,000$ with them if this car gets stolen. Billed as “anti-theft insurance”.

Uh no. Lol. gently caress no.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I ordered my Mach-E from a commercial truck dealer and it was one of the most pleasant car buying experiences of my life because their entire business is selling like millions of dollars of trucks to AT&T and the explicitly said we don't want your business, it's not worth my time but I guess I technically have to sell you the car per our Ford contract. But seriously, don't bother me, I don't like you.

"We didn't discuss this but please don't put any dealership branding on the car." "Why would I waste that on you, a license plate frame costs me like $2 and I never want to have to talk to you again."

"So, when is a good time for my husband and me to come in and sign the paperwork?" "What? I'll send you a Docusign when the car is unloaded" "OK, when is a good time for me to pick it up? "I don't care, we open at 7, the receptionist has the keys."

No upsale, no haggling, do you want the car or not because I'm trying to close a $10m deal with Safeway and I'm already annoyed with you.

sales guy must’ve been a goon

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

darnon posted:

https://brakeplususa.com/home/auto-consumer/. Made in the USA! No child labor!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

my vw jetta had a vcds option to enable that, no purchase necessary

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wait wtf is this and why

One of the dealer chains in Nashville does this as a mandatory add-on and has for years, so whenever there's traffic on the freeway it's a sea of flashing brake lights.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Have we talked about how dumb the brake light on the cybertruck is? There’s a big red light bar across the back, until you hit the brakes, then it becomes a smaller light just in the center.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

borkencode posted:

Have we talked about how dumb the brake light on the cybertruck is?

Not enough, IMO.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Also made sure they didn't slap any dealer stickers on and poo poo.

Did I tell y'all that when we bought the LEAF they scotch taped the temporary license plate to the inside of the rear window against the heating wires?

When I took it off, it broke the fragile little conductive lines that make up the rear window defroster. I tried repairing it, but it's still broken.

I had to ask the used dealer not to do that on the Bolt and they were like, "what? that's a thing?" They handed it to me and I made sure the tape didn't touch the heater wires.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

darnon posted:

The touching of the factory wiring harness is the thing that pisses me off

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

It seems it's not about what they're teaching so much as people thinking that as soon as they graduate, any knowledge not related to their job isn't worth remembering.

SlowBloke posted:

One reason to use mid-high power public AC stations rather than fast here is that pretty much every station doesn't have publicly accessible e-stop button, while all DC do.

I've never seen an open e-stop button on any of the public chargers I've seen (AC or DC). Could this be specific to your area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

Did I tell y'all that when we bought the LEAF they scotch taped the temporary license plate to the inside of the rear window against the heating wires?

When I took it off, it broke the fragile little conductive lines that make up the rear window defroster. I tried repairing it, but it's still broken.

I had to ask the used dealer not to do that on the Bolt and they were like, "what? that's a thing?" They handed it to me and I made sure the tape didn't touch the heater wires.

Gah! I am always so paranoid about those especially when I clean the inside just using the mildest soap diluted way down with tepid water and trying to avoid the conductors completely. I’m surprised they are still that fragile, I am paranoid because the 80s cars I used to have those wires would peel off if you so much as looked at them.