Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No matter how much you feel you have left to learn in your work, there's always others getting paid more than you'd think to do a worse job than you'd ever imagine, with zero plans or interest in improving whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The first chapter of Snow Crash is amazing (Hiro’s pizza delivery). Then it goes downhill fast.

E: Also I have respect for naming your main character Hiro Protagonist. I’d have more respect if the rest of the book was good enough to justify the joke.

Snow Crash is a Mondo 2000 fanfic. Full stop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Snow Crash gave me big wacky monkey cheese vibes when I read it. Not a fan.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm guessing Legal Eagle is gonna feast on Habba for most of 2024

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Snow Crash gave me big wacky monkey cheese vibes when I read it. Not a fan.

It’s aged like a fine 15 year old Brie. 15 years, as in how old YT is while the author openly muses about her loving the late 30’s Hiro Protagonist.

It’s a mess of a book. But it also contains certain nerd shibboleths and touchstones that make it hard to just outright 1:1 dismiss entirely.

Google Earth?
Central Intelligence Corporations “Earth”
The Metaverse?
The literal loving metaverse.
Terminal Capitalism?
The main character is a Hacker that does literally no hacking/Pizza delivery driver with no car. If that’s not prescient it’s close enough to our lived reality to seem both more and less insane than this did in 1992.

Neuromancer > Snow Crash all day every day, but you can’t completely ignore snow crash. You don’t have to like it, but it’s quickly becoming Old Testament poo poo for nerds of a certain age and almost every billionaire in America is a nerd.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

The Eyes Have It posted:

No matter how much you feel you have left to learn in your work, there's always others getting paid more than you'd think to do a worse job than you'd ever imagine, with zero plans or interest in improving whatsoever.

life must be one incredible ride when you have that total lack of self-awareness and unfaltering confidence and entitlement

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Snow Crash is a satire.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If I remember right Google Earth was directly inspired by Earth in Snow Crash.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudosavior posted:

Snow Crash is a satire.

A very awfully written, very frozen in time satire that billionaire doom cultist nerds whack it to.

Like I said, it’s not everything, but it’s not nothing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Amiga/IBM Neuromancer game is better than chapters 2-whatever of Snow Crash.

https://youtu.be/owZx2zNlyng?si=-thM5XDSoTEyI4Ue

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love the idea of Neal Stephenson books so much, but the man basically launched the gen-x libertarian techbro personality and I'll never be able to forgive him for it, no matter how much I love Anathem and Cryptonomicon.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bengy81 posted:

I love the idea of Neal Stephenson books so much, but the man basically launched the gen-x libertarian techbro personality and I'll never be able to forgive him for it, no matter how much I love Anathem and Cryptonomicon.

Cryptonomicon is actually his favorite book of mine.

So yeah on the one hand there’s cryptonomicon, on all the other hands is Elon Musk.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’ll admit to liking Diamond Age.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I read Snow Crash as a teenager in highschool and remember loving it. I barely remember anything about the book, but from the descriptions here I'm not surprised teenager me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s a mess of a book. But it also contains certain nerd shibboleths and touchstones that make it hard to just outright 1:1 dismiss entirely.

Similarly if you’ve never read Ender’s Game, go ahead and do that and then immediately read Speaker for the Dead.

Then and only then look up OSC’s politics.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I liked the bean books way more than all the goofy poo poo 1k years down the line with the teleportation and remaking bodies with the power of belief

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I’ll admit to liking Diamond Age.

he had no idea how to end the drummer/hackworth storyline but otherwise good book

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
E: totally wrong thread

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 18, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

pseudosavior posted:

Snow Crash is a satire.

So is Idiocracy, never the less

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Similarly if you’ve never read Ender’s Game, go ahead and do that and then immediately read Speaker for the Dead.

Then and only then look up OSC’s politics.

Definitely don't go from Enders Game to Folk of the Fringe, a collection of short stories from a future where the temple in Salt Lake City is the last bastion of civilization

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

maffew buildings posted:

life must be one incredible ride when you have that total lack of self-awareness and unfaltering confidence and entitlement

I hate to relate real life to a video game, but this is reminding me how Arthur in Red Dead Redemption 2 observed "some people are rich enough and dumb enough to just enjoy their lives".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
But go read some good fiction you literate goons.

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Traitor Beru Cormorant
The Blade Itself
The Library at Mount Char
Three Parts Dead

etc

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Blade Itself
Three Parts Dead

etc

I just finished Blood Meridian and...well it is good and a thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Definitely don't go from Enders Game to Folk of the Fringe, a collection of short stories from a future where the temple in Salt Lake City is the last bastion of civilization

I will say I didn’t fully internalize “death of the author” until finding out about OSC after reading the Ender books. Just… how?! I can’t figure out what reading he possibly intended other than one he strongly disagreed with?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Revelation Space
etc

I finished Absolution Gap last week and man that ending felt weak as hell imo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It’s aged like a fine 15 year old Brie. 15 years, as in how old YT is while the author openly muses about her loving the late 30’s Hiro Protagonist.

Google Earth?
Central Intelligence Corporations “Earth”
The Metaverse?
The literal loving metaverse.
Terminal Capitalism?
The main character is a Hacker that does literally no hacking/Pizza delivery driver with no car. If that’s not prescient it’s close enough to our lived reality to seem both more and less insane than this did in 1992.

Neuromancer > Snow Crash all day every day, but you can’t completely ignore snow crash. You don’t have to like it, but it’s quickly becoming Old Testament poo poo for nerds of a certain age and almost every billionaire in America is a nerd.

A very awfully written, very frozen in time satire that billionaire doom cultist nerds whack it to.

Like I said, it’s not everything, but it’s not nothing.

I agree, however

Cryptonomicon is actually his favorite book of mine.

So yeah on the one hand there’s cryptonomicon, on all the other hands is Elon Musk.

I stopped reading it 2/3 of the way through when I was tired of waiting for it to get good and go somewhere. Neal Stephenson wanted so badly to be a cross between William Gibson and Thomas Pynchon without having the slightest idea of why either one of them was good.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Stravag posted:

I liked the bean books way more than all the goofy poo poo 1k years down the line with the teleportation and remaking bodies with the power of belief

ok, not only did i not know mr bean had books, but i dont remember any teleportation or supernatural powers in the show

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Blade Itself
Three Parts Dead

etc

Mount Char owns pretty hard.

Stravag posted:

The Shadow series was okay but I dropped it after the author had one of the young adult military geniuses talking about how great it was to go into battle with her husband's jizz running down her thighs. Like what the gently caress, Orson.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

M_Gargantua posted:

Seconding this; this book is phenomenal, and I would love to see/am terrified to see an adaptation of it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
A few more

Blindsight
Ninefox Gambit
The Quantum Thief
Hull Three Zero
An Unclean Legacy

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Blade Itself
Three Parts Dead

etc

I recently reread all of Abercrombie's books and appreciated how well everything tied together.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

M_Gargantua posted:

Gideon the Ninth
Revelation Space
The Blade Itself
Three Parts Dead

etc

I highly recommend reading Gideon the Ninth and the rest of the series beyond that (The Locked Tomb series) it's Sci-Fi Necromancy and it's awesome

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hypnophant posted:

A few more

Blindsight
Ninefox Gambit
The Quantum Thief
Hull Three Zero
An Unclean Legacy

Quantum Thief and the two followups, Fractal Prince and Causal Angel, are also infinitely excellent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hypnophant posted:

A few more

Blindsight

Genuinely one of my favourite books. You can read it free, too!
https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I like this sci-fi derail. I would recommend Light by M. John Harrison, which is probably my favorite book. It reads like it was written by surrealist who got tired of painting melting clocks and decided to have a go at bleak as hell hard sci-fi instead.

Arrath posted:

I finished Absolution Gap last week and man that ending felt weak as hell imo.

Absolution Gap gets a lot of flak, and sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who enjoyed that book. I thought the latest book in that arc (Inhibitor Phase) fizzled out way worse at the end.

I still don't think I've come across a better spaceship name than Nostalgia for Infinity.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Lots of good recommendations :hmmyes:

I'll add:

The Murderbot Diaries
A Desolation Called Peace
The Fifth Season
The Raven Tower
Ancillary Justice
The Southern Reach Trilogy

I still need to read The Traitor Beru Cormorant, I know the author is a goon who posts around.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Genuinely one of my favourite books. You can read it free, too!
https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

I like some of Watts' stuff, but y'all can skip the Rifters books. Good ideas but far too many violent passages that seem like they were written with one hand.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I just finished Blood Meridian and...well it is good and a thing.

Can't be topped for dark, gritty interpretation of the western genre

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

ok, not only did i not know mr bean had books, but i dont remember any teleportation or supernatural powers in the show

Now that you mention it, not using Rowan Atkinson to portray an adult Bean somewhere is a huge missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

GD_American posted:

I like some of Watts' stuff, but y'all can skip the Rifters books. Good ideas but far too many violent passages that seem like they were written with one hand.

I think starfish is good, but i agree about skipping the last two. If it helps, the first-written ending of starfish has Lenie washing up dead on the beach, so containment failed but there’s no sequel

The sequel does have the ai the government puts in charge of fighting the biosphere-ending bacteria actually doing everything it can to spread the bacteria, because it’s an ai, doesn’t have human values, and its creators don’t understand how it will interpret its mission so that part feels very torment nexus