Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Hinchcliffe/Holmes really was just a fantastic run for the show.

Re: the Master, I never got tired of:

Master: No Doctor, you see this temporary alliance with these power-hungry aliens is just to deal with Earth's forces, then once that is done I plan to betray them because I won't need them anymore :smug:
Doctor: You know they're probably thinking of doing the same thing to you for the same reasons.
Master: ... :aaa:

lol yeah. The Master being the Doctor's spoiled "sibling" who never learns their lesson is what makes it great when they bring them back. The characterization for the Master feels like "Was told they were a gifted child, but feels a competitive urge toward the childhood best friend that everyone liked better." It's the difference between a kid who gets Cs and gets curious about setting up their own farm and a kid who argues with the teachers when it's not straight As and spends their spare time holding a magnifying glass up to an anthill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Confusedslight posted:

Anyone here give their big finish stories a go?

Yep. Fun as hell. For the most they're pretty much comedies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

I can imagine - Strax is a one note character but it's a very funny note to me. Playing into the inherent ridiculousness of the Sontarans never gets old.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I figure I can get through 2 serials a week with the Tom Baker Doctor Who. I just finished The Brain of Morbius and I think I watched The Android Invasion as well but I can't remember if I started the next series.

Okay Yeah I just looked.. next serial is

Seeds of Doom!

I was kind of "Meh" about Android Invasion but it had some good memorable moments my favorite being The Doctor saying "gently caress this" and jumping head first out a window to get away. I also liked the robots.

I really really liked The Brain of Morbius a lot though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 18, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Seeds of Doom has a massive tonal shift after the first two episodes but it's fantastic throughout and has so many all-time great 4th Doctor moments.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 18, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Plus Boycie!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Seeds of Doom is one of my all-time favorite episodes. Two parts "The Thing From Another World" and four parts mashed together from The Day of the Triffids, The Quatermass Experiment, and the Avengers episode "The Man-Eater of Surrey Green". :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The climax is some fine fine stuff. Excellent excellent villain.

I've always wanted more Krynoid stories, but writers have generally struggled with them for whatever reason.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Seeds of Doom is great. I think the major shift after episode 2 helps it avoid feeling overlong the way some 6-episode serials can end up, like it's halfway between a 6-part story and two shorter stories.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

I still need to dive in to the series, I think I have listened to the first one. But I enjoy Strax hanging out with Jago and Litefoot, and the Churchill stories were.. Okay I guess.

I'm always down for more comedic Who from BF, will have to bump these up my list.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Strax is a little like Dr. Spaceman in that he's just the same joke over and over again, but it's a joke I enjoy, so I don't mind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven’t watched The Name of the Doctor in years, but “It was an unprovoked and violent attack, but that's no excuse” is a line I still think about and laugh at.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Strax is a little like Dr. Spaceman in that he's just the same joke over and over again, but it's a joke I enjoy, so I don't mind.

I love that violent little potato man

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Excure me, but Strax is nurse spaceman, not doctor spaceman. Please don't disrespect his profession.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I interrupted my Pertwee rewatch because I felt in the mood for some McCoy, so I put on The Happiness Patrol, as it'd been ages since I last watched it.

I remembered thinking it was a good episode from when I last watched it, but I was honestly surprised at just how much I really enjoyed it this time around. Probably because this time around I'm a fair bit older (:corsair:), and a bit more familiar with some of the context of the various themes and allegories of the story (Helen A. and her policies being a critique of the Thatcherite regime; the subtexts that are pretty obvious nods to gay rights/representation, and so forth). But I also enjoyed it on a purely superficial level, too; the production design and lighting aren't the usual 1980s DW "flood everything with light" approach the BBC usually made the production team take, so it feels very much like a film noir. And there isn't constant background music playing throughout, either (and what does play doesn't feel like someone noodling around on a keyboard; it feels very appropriate to the scenes). And even the more annoying aspects of Ace that the writers loved shoving into stories (where she's always going around calling people "bilgebag" and waving about her Nitro-9 and so forth) are fairly toned down in this story.

So yeah, overall I'd say it's a good story, well worth a watch if you haven't seen any Seventh Doctor episodes before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if I will ever be able to read spaceman as anything other than the last name on first glance again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

It's nice to feel loved.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I interrupted my Pertwee rewatch because I felt in the mood for some McCoy, so I put on The Happiness Patrol, as it'd been ages since I last watched it.

I remembered thinking it was a good episode from when I last watched it, but I was honestly surprised at just how much I really enjoyed it this time around. Probably because this time around I'm a fair bit older (:corsair:), and a bit more familiar with some of the context of the various themes and allegories of the story (Helen A. and her policies being a critique of the Thatcherite regime; the subtexts that are pretty obvious nods to gay rights/representation, and so forth). But I also enjoyed it on a purely superficial level, too; the production design and lighting aren't the usual 1980s DW "flood everything with light" approach the BBC usually made the production team take, so it feels very much like a film noir. And there isn't constant background music playing throughout, either (and what does play doesn't feel like someone noodling around on a keyboard; it feels very appropriate to the scenes). And even the more annoying aspects of Ace that the writers loved shoving into stories (where she's always going around calling people "bilgebag" and waving about her Nitro-9 and so forth) are fairly toned down in this story.

So yeah, overall I'd say it's a good story, well worth a watch if you haven't seen any Seventh Doctor episodes before.

McCoy's stories are definitely ones that I enjoyed on one level as a kid but as an aging lefty they're quite something else. And aside from the stuff you listed it's got 7 talking that sniper down which is a great character moment.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Phy posted:

I love that violent little potato man

:emptyquote:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have started Seeds of Doom. I am already loving the beards.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Random Stranger posted:

Excure me, but Strax is nurse spaceman, not doctor spaceman. Please don't disrespect his profession.

He can produce magnificent quantities of lactic fluid

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hrmm this is kind of like a James Bond Doctor Who episode. Seeds of Doom. I'm on the 3rd episode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back to Strax, him beaming Clara with the newspaper was out of left field and hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

LMAO The Doctor just broke some dudes neck. What the hell is this. oh wait the guy is fine after having his neck broken.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hollismason posted:

LMAO The Doctor just broke some dudes neck. What the hell is this. oh wait the guy is fine after having his neck broken.

This cracks me up every time I think of it, the Doctor just casually snapping Boycie's neck, but so expertly that it just puts Boycie out for a few minutes :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's just an extension on the way on TV you can smack someone on the head and they take a harmless nap and not be at severe risk of permanent brain damage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so overall Season 13 favorites :

Planet of Evil
Pyramids of Mars
The Brain of Morbius

Overall a really drat good 2nd season and none of the stories were really boring. They were all relatively exciting affairs. Stand out for me is Brain of Morbius , just really loved that one particularly.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I just rewatched Seeds of Doom for the first time in god knows how many years, and

- It's really entertaining, better than I remember
- why do the Antarctic people have a gun? For vicious penguins?
- you're right, Doctor, the music is terrible
- Hargreves is played by 'Seymour Green'? Seriously?

Anyway, lovely stuff. Followed up with Masque of Mandragora and Time Meddler, all great.

Later I watched Pointless where, in the final, they had to name any episode title from the Jodie Whittaker era. Not one person from the 100 people surveyed knew any of them at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Stand out for me is Brain of Morbius , just really loved that one particularly.

I adore the section where Solon lets Condo stroke Sarah Jane's hair for a second and then grumbles,"Okay stop that, she doesn't like it!" - maybe just because I always remember the people on commentary just having the best time and roaring with laughter when that happened.

Man, Philip Madoc was always a great time on Doctor Who, apart from that one time they bizarrely cast him as a nobody crewman in The Power of Kroll.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just loved the gothic horror atmosphere of Brain of Morbius. Its like they landed the Tardis in a Hammer horror Picture which I think that's what they were going for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, Philip Hinchcliffe has been pretty open from memory of saying they just decided,"gently caress it, Doctor Who is Hammer Horror now" and the world was a better place for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of scary, this month's Torchwood is a banger.

I like how Countrycide is just... what if an Italian cannibal flick, but instead of visiting the Global South we're just hanging out in the British South. I have no idea where Chibnall came up with it, that kind of story feels completely out of either his or RTD's wheelhouse.

That first season is so loving wild in tone, but between Countrycide and that fairy one it opened the show up to being able to tell random stories about the leads wandering into Welsh horror as a valid story type and that kind of owns. Particularly when you get good freaky stuff out of it, like this play. Recommended.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of scary, this month's Torchwood is a banger.

I like how Countrycide is just... what if an Italian cannibal flick, but instead of visiting the Global South we're just hanging out in the British South. I have no idea where Chibnall came up with it, that kind of story feels completely out of either his or RTD's wheelhouse.

That first season is so loving wild in tone, but between Countrycide and that fairy one it opened the show up to being able to tell random stories about the leads wandering into Welsh horror as a valid story type and that kind of owns. Particularly when you get good freaky stuff out of it, like this play. Recommended.

Interestingly it's a RTD idea. He actually wanted to do something similar for the Eccleston season, in the slot that eventually became Boom Town, having the Doctor show up somewhere and be convinced something other than human evil is to blame only to be proven wrong, but he decided it didn't fit into the Doctor's arc at that point. Eventually it resurfaced as a Torchwood idea. I don't recall how much of the cannibal idea was in the original version.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

That first season is so loving wild in tone, but between Countrycide and that fairy one it opened the show up to being able to tell random stories about the leads wandering into Welsh horror as a valid story type and that kind of owns.

I think this aspect of Torchwood is better done by the Rivers of London books, especially as Torchwood ultimately (on TV at least) leaves a lot of that sort of thing behind.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Back to Strax, him beaming Clara with the newspaper was out of left field and hilarious.

I remember shout-laughing when I first saw that, just a perfectly executed bit of slapstick out of nowhere

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It is a beautiful beautiful joke.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Has anyone listened to Heroes of Sontar? That does some fun stuff with the Sontarans and it made me laugh a fair few times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

I think this aspect of Torchwood is better done by the Rivers of London books, especially as Torchwood ultimately (on TV at least) leaves a lot of that sort of thing behind.

Shoutout to the excellent Rivers of London books here, which have lots of Who refs.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Shoutout to the excellent Rivers of London books here, which have lots of Who refs.

I think the author might be a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

I think the author might be a fan.

He’s probably written some fanwanky stories at home.