Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think you just gotta accept that what's "real" and what isnt is negotiable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

not to say its not fun to pick apart

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Al! posted:

i think you just gotta accept that what's "real" and what isnt is negotiable
I dunno, I have a keyboard and I'm not a hunt-and-peck typer, so I'm pretty sure the rules mean that I get to define reality.

(Seriously Alan how did you write so many books with just your index fingers)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about profiling is the fact that Taken speak exclusively in excerpts from manuscript pages.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My read on Saga's power is that she is psychic in that she can intuit the present. Whatever is going on right now, she can see it through the eyes of anyone perceiving it if she has performed the ritual of deduction. It will come through in their voice. Even if they're dead. It is a very cool take on telepathy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and if she really wants to then she can mentally go HNNNNGH and force the truth out of people she's never even met

unless it's mr scratch, who figuratively reaches out of his profile page and starts to strangle her before she switches him off

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

My read on Saga's power is that she is psychic in that she can intuit the present. Whatever is going on right now, she can see it through the eyes of anyone perceiving it if she has performed the ritual of deduction. It will come through in their voice. Even if they're dead. It is a very cool take on telepathy.

Oxxidation posted:

and if she really wants to then she can mentally go HNNNNGH and force the truth out of people she's never even met

unless it's mr scratch, who figuratively reaches out of his profile page and starts to strangle her before she switches him off

honestly I'd peg it as more a straight up form of one way telepathy, except she can agitate people's minds by thinking really hard at them on a particular subject and dig up new information about it.

and of course if the other person is also psychic she can hold a two way conversation with them. This includes Alan, who is also contextually revealed to also be psychic though is probably more clairvoyant than telepathic (in the sense/see things from afar sense, not the future sight sense).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re Saga profiling I'm taking it that anyone who has been affected by the dark place but came out alive would be able to do the psychic zoom call instead of having their thoughts forced out by yelling "where is thing!?"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

As I approach the halfway point of my playthrough of NG+ (decided to just blast through Saga's side before going further than We Sing as Alan) I've got one question that's remained with me since my first playthrough. Am I just unobservant and missed a bunch of clues each time? Like my first playthrough I've got massive chunks of Saga's case board missing, not to mention the usual clues that have remained "available later" like a bunch of stuff from Tor. Especially since I have the Mayor Setter charm I'm pretty confident I haven't missed any clues that get marked on the map. What am I missing? Or is there just a bunch of stuff you aren't meant to find?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the game, pretty epic. I do think the final chapters kinda felt rushed? The early middle game chapters felt way more meaty and intense for both characters. I just googled the Final Draft ending, I preferred the base ending even though it didn't answer as much directly.

Overall I think this game was a massive upgrade over 1 in every regard except characters. I felt like in 1 you got a good idea of Barry because he is with you through a lot of the moments and officer Sarah. In this game because it's split with 2 characters you kinda don't get any other character development. I was really hoping we got more Casey but him and Saga just split up. While Alan only has Mister Door. But ya I would say everthing else was amazing, the overall story went into places I would have never expected and I was always surprised. I do think the first big surprise was predictable but still fun.

So far I have loved everything I have played from Remedy, makes me even want to try Quantum Break and I am happy they are remastering/remaking Max Payne.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 19, 2024

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9dyNh5Qxy8

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

As I approach the halfway point of my playthrough of NG+ (decided to just blast through Saga's side before going further than We Sing as Alan) I've got one question that's remained with me since my first playthrough. Am I just unobservant and missed a bunch of clues each time? Like my first playthrough I've got massive chunks of Saga's case board missing, not to mention the usual clues that have remained "available later" like a bunch of stuff from Tor. Especially since I have the Mayor Setter charm I'm pretty confident I haven't missed any clues that get marked on the map. What am I missing? Or is there just a bunch of stuff you aren't meant to find?

I wasn't missing what I'd call a massive chunk of clues but there were some I never got either despite going everywhere I could. I don't know if it was because of bugs or maybe I needed to go talk to someone in a different location at a very specific point that I missed. I vaguely recall a few that feel like they should have come from Rose but I never got any new dialogue with her.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Remedy says this whole logo thing was an old and resolved issue.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1747989755634053475

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zat posted:

Remedy says this whole logo thing was an old and resolved issue.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1747989755634053475

This makes more sense...Because they are literally working for Take Two for Max Payne.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

He really has a look like a dementia patient on a bad day.
Ahti also has a scene with a dementia breakdown in the old folk's home...
Losing your memory in the dark place sounds like an alzheimer's thing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, is Alan Wake supposed to canonically be a bad writer? Am I giant idiot for thinking the manuscripts in AW1 and 2 are well-written?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah, I think you're intended to see his writing as quality, given the villain characters pan it as trash. We're likely intended to garner that he stays famous through controversy between books, instead of them being talked about publicly, though.

Edit: That poses an interesting question, has a literary critic out there actually done an analysis of Alan Wake, the writer? There are full stories of his found in The Alan Wake Files.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ulio posted:

This makes more sense...Because they are literally working for Take Two for Max Payne.

if it's procedural then yeah it probably has to do with that thing where if you don't defend your trademark in court, you lose it. american ip law is nonsense

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

We’re never really going to know if Alan is a good writer or not because we only see extremely small snippets. Even the “pages” we find wouldn’t take up even 1/4 a standard novel page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait, is Alan Wake supposed to canonically be a bad writer? Am I giant idiot for thinking the manuscripts in AW1 and 2 are well-written?

the manuscripts are not well-written but wake is canonically a very good and tremendously popular writer, if not well-regarded in formal literary circles (in other words, he's stephen king)

i just went through the original game again and totally forgot that barry gets sidetracked when he's placing emergency calls to the night falls society because sheriff breaker's dad can't stop gushing over how great his books are

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

From what I understand they were pulp, but very enjoyable pulp that appealed to a wide audience. Alan killed Alex Casey off in The Sudden Stop because he wanted to write something more, and as long as the character existed there would be pressure to write more of him.

I like to imagine that his successful books' prose was similar to the echoes you hear in his segments in AW2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally based off the manuscripts i don't think alan is a particularly good writer, but in canon his casey novels have made him rich and popular

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I think is genuinely noteworthy is, Alan is a tactful enough writer to avoid falling into the "Snape Kills Dumbledore" trap. He made Casey's impending death the focus of the novel such that spoiling the context of how it happens is the actual spoiler, not the fact that it happens. This allowed him to go on TV and promote that such a shocking thing was going to happen to a beloved character. Turning that spoiler into the draw for attention is a brilliant move if you the author know it's the last profit you'll be making for a while.

But it's not a very nice thing to do to your creations.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 20, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, a neat tidbit for anyone who has forgotten: Casey's death in The Sudden Stop can be found as manuscripts in Alan Wake 1, narrated by James McCaffrey.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

He's kind of energetic and trashy, but he's not a good literary writer, I think he is meant to be fine, but more of a blockbuster guy than a arty writer

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is it ok to talk about control here? If so I could use some help. Played it again last night for the first time in ages, I was just getting railed non-stop. Tried a room about 10 times, and went from 'instantly die' to 'start to get somewhere'. First 3 level 8? flying guys appear with 2 red running-exploding things, then a healing orb thing appears after you kill those guys, along with another round of everything, then after you kill the orb, more running exploding guys and flying guys appear. What's a basic way to fight, what are the best personal mods, etc? At first I saw I had all of the +health mods equipped and decided to maybe go for more attack. I have about 10 level V personal mods. I decided to do quicker launch and a few more I can't remember.

I don't really remember the combat essentials very well and I was never good at it, I want to try to master it before I give up and turn on accessibility settings. I feel like I'm just using the wrong tactics or something. Is there a good guide for it? I've got flight and launch, I've finished the game already so this is late-game stuff. I also find that any time I go to try one of those limited-time events I just die on the way to the event and also at the event. It's hard to grind for more money etc when I can't seem to clear a basic room.

I'm on gamepad and had shotgun and pierce equipped. My aim isn't good enough for pierce so I switched that to grip. I'm unsure how to combine all of the attacks and powers. When do I shield, fly, throw things, shoot?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Do you have the mind control power? I always found that very useful cause they both kill stuff for you but also divert attention, if you can control the healing orb things it's even better.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yes I do, but in my ten tries last night I only got the option to use it twice. I suppose I have to be close enough and also have the enemy at a low enough health. At least the heal orb can't heal itself!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

redreader posted:

Yes I do, but in my ten tries last night I only got the option to use it twice. I suppose I have to be close enough and also have the enemy at a low enough health. At least the heal orb can't heal itself!

It's been a hot minute but I'm pretty sure the mind control power needs some upgrades before you can grab orbs, and also unless it's fully upgraded you gotta be pretty close

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You should always be throwing things, and also remember that the throw ability does not require you to wait for whatever you picked up to come to you or even aim. If you just tap and release the throw button, Jesse will still whip whatever it is straight at whatever poor jerk you have targeted, from wherever it currently is.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I did it first try on mouse and keyboard. My professional opinion is if you want it to be equal to M+K and you're playing on gamepad, you HAVE to use accessibility easy mode features!

edit: I just realised you lose money when you die????? No wonder this game is so tough. Die, can't upgrade, die, die, die, win a fight, die and lose everything I just made, etc etc.

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2024

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

redreader posted:

edit: I just realised you lose money when you die????? No wonder this game is so tough. Die, can't upgrade, die, die, die, win a fight, die and lose everything I just made, etc etc.

Control’s upgrade economy is pretty brutal if you fall behind and start dying a ton. I think you’re supposed to be spending all of your resources the instant you’re able to, which means constantly diverting to get the region-specific materials you need for the upgrades you have available. It’s one of the weakest parts of an otherwise strong game.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

We Sing might have only been the second-best musical segment from a game in 2023 where the characters narrate the content of the song as it is happening, but it was still really good.

What's the other one? I feel like I've missed a game I should play.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I realized that I had stopped playing control about two years ago (or whenever) at a tough area, and had a bad load out and there are easier areas I could have done first. I've got like twelve missions I can do including the dlc, and after looking some stuff up, yes I can farm some upgrades too. I tried the first jukebox mission and managed to do two of the four areas before running out of time and dying about 8 times to the other two paths.

I can reliably take down level six fights, sometimes level seven, and die to level 8 bad guys. Most of my mods are level 4 or 5.

I'm moving onto the foundation dlc and the enemies there don't seem too tough. I'm getting better the more I play. Control is pretty good!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Explodingdice posted:

What's the other one? I feel like I've missed a game I should play.

this seems difficult to answer without spoilers, but i'm pretty sure it's baldur's gate 3

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Something I've been mulling over is that Alice may have a better control over the dark place since photography is less abstract than writing so the presence has less ways to rules lawyers being a jackass.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
I’ve always imagined the Casey series as Lee Child-esque but I’ve also never read a Jack Reacher book.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

redreader posted:

Is it ok to talk about control here? If so I could use some help. Played it again last night for the first time in ages, I was just getting railed non-stop. Tried a room about 10 times, and went from 'instantly die' to 'start to get somewhere'. First 3 level 8? flying guys appear with 2 red running-exploding things, then a healing orb thing appears after you kill those guys, along with another round of everything, then after you kill the orb, more running exploding guys and flying guys appear. What's a basic way to fight, what are the best personal mods, etc? At first I saw I had all of the +health mods equipped and decided to maybe go for more attack. I have about 10 level V personal mods. I decided to do quicker launch and a few more I can't remember.
Hell, it didn't stop me.

Control combat is ABT: Always Be Throwing. If you have energy, grab something and chuck it at somebody. It does way more damage than your piddly-poo poo guns (flat +damage weapon mods are the rarest in the game and upgrades are incredibly expensive and you only get a few anyway) -- it'll insta-kill those exploding guys! Guns are for finishing off dudes who have been knocked down when you threw something at them. Also, if you've got the opportunity to do it safely, mind-control somebody; they're not great at fighting, but they're wonderful distractions and bullet sponges. And yeah, the orbs are loving nightmares until you put enough skill points into mind control to being able to grab them. Best you can do is prioritize them, since they don't heal themselves. And remember that dead enemies can't heal and throw can often kill guys outright.

Mods-wise, I'd recommend +Energy, launch efficiency, and seize speed. More throw is more better and mind control takes a long time and you're vulnerable during it, so speeding that up is a major help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Silver Vision posted:

I’ve always imagined the Casey series as Lee Child-esque but I’ve also never read a Jack Reacher book.

Those books are written far worse than anything Alan Wake ever produced. I cannot believe a grown man wrote that poo poo.