Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Galaxy AI sounds pretty lame? S24u doesn't sound like it's gonna be very different from the s23u so I'll probably just stick with my 23

https://www.ign.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-unpacked-2024-everything-announced-from-samsungs-winter-hardware-event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, most of this Galaxy AI stuff is just.... Google services. It's weird.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Is there any significant difference between the processors of the s23 and s24? I'd see if it's not too late for me to get an S23 if that's the case.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

reminder to wait and see if the exynos version sucks before rushing to preorder the S24/S24+ outside of NA, the version in all the reviews is not the version you'll get

S24U is still the same worldwide at least

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Having a 3x and 5x tele on the S24U just seems kind of...pointless? Especially with a 200mp main sensor that should afford a lot of room to crop. The 10x optical was great for creeping bird watching, but why have two lenses so close together?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bell_ posted:

Is there any significant difference between the processors of the s23 and s24? I'd see if it's not too late for me to get an S23 if that's the case.

SD8 Gen 3 is brandy new so it's hard to say how it performs in the real world yet.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Having a 3x and 5x tele on the S24U just seems kind of...pointless? Especially with a 200mp main sensor that should afford a lot of room to crop. The 10x optical was great for creeping bird watching, but why have two lenses so close together?

I'm betting it's because they use the 3x for portrait shots and didn't want to punch in too far by using the 5x or crop the main sensor.

I agree though that it's muddled. 3x is basically a pointless optical zoom outside of portrait shots.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This stuff...has been on Pixels for a few years now?

I'm so confused.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
7 years of security updates has sold me on the s24. I really don't want the AI crap but long phone life is worth it for me. I put up with Bixby crap on my s8 until now and some of the translation stuff may come in useful as I travel internationally a lot.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying a new phone through my provider (tmobile) vs standalone?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well that video just hinted at the galaxy ring launch, wonder if it will happen here.

Edit: There it is, Galaxy Ring. With no details about the device or when it launches?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 17, 2024

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

KodiakRS posted:

7 years of security updates has sold me on the s24. I really don't want the AI crap but long phone life is worth it for me. I put up with Bixby crap on my s8 until now and some of the translation stuff may come in useful as I travel internationally a lot.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to buying a new phone through my provider (tmobile) vs standalone?

If they're supporting the phone for so long are they going to sell equipment so you can swap the batteries too? Even 5 year old batteries are very much done for.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
My S8 battery is 5+ years old and still usually has %50 battery by the end of the day. Didn't the EU pass something about requiring replaceable batteries. When does that come into effect?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kind of disappointing that they didn't do Qi2 on these.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm going to wait for reviews, but my initial reaction is "...eh, maybe I go back and get an S23-series instead."

bull3964 posted:

Kind of disappointing that they didn't do Qi2 on these.

Agreed, but my understanding is they just didn't have time; Qi2 was finalized in September, and we were already seeing S24 leaks by then.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

My S8 battery is 5+ years old and still usually has %50 battery by the end of the day. Didn't the EU pass something about requiring replaceable batteries. When does that come into effect?

there's a carve-out in that law where devices are exempt if they meet some criteria for having X capacity left after Y charge cycles, so in practice you're not getting replaceable batteries

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Big ol meh for me with the S24, I have an 22 Ultra and was considering upgrading to a 24 but I am not really seeing a compelling reason to do so.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Disadvantage of getting a device through your carrier is a carrier customized ROM with any extra shitware they're getting kickbacks to put on your phone. Though in some instances a carrier variant will have specific radio hardware for bands the carrier's network uses while the factory unlocked one might not have those radio frequencies at all.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
https://youtu.be/n7lM36yFh2Y?si=5C19FKNUqri9w8Zw

Mkbhd video of the 24 line. The live translation of phone calls seem neat. The AI stuff looks fun to play with but not worth upgrading from a 23

I do like the slight changes in the way it looks though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently much of the AI stuff is coming to previous gen devices when they get oneui 6.1

quote:

Many of the Galaxy AI features introduced on Galaxy S24 will also be supported on previous models including Galaxy S23 series, Galaxy S23 FE, Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Flip 5, and Galaxy Tab S9 series within 1H 2024.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So does that mean even the S22 and S21 will get it since they're also getting 6.1?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe? but they didn't confirm anything older than the S23 or specifically which features will be backported

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-one-ui-6-1-galaxy-ai-update-eligible-devices-schedule-3404172/

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I didn't click the links but weird. I guess all the fancy schmancy AI capabilities in sd8 gen3 aren't actually being utilized by any of this stuff

Oh they haven't said what will or won't, so possibly some stuff isn't able to run on old hardware

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 17, 2024

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Call it Galaxy BrAIn Samsung you cowards

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

soooooo there's basically no reason for me to upgrade from my S20+ to the 24 series instead of a 23, is what i'm getting from today's news...... the possibility of qi2 integration was the one thing i was hoping to see in this new phone and, lol

:sigh: maybe the pixel 9 will have some cool magnets to show off in...... october? really??? fine, i guess!!!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

computer, enhance that fineprint

lol are they going to paywall this stuff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Solovey posted:

soooooo there's basically no reason for me to upgrade from my S20+ to the 24 series instead of a 23

Check trade-in offers. You might be able to get a “free” one after bill credits or something for trading in your S20+.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

repiv posted:

So not only are they going to not give it to devices older than the S23, they're going to make you pay for this nonsense too.

Good ol' Samsung.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I didn't watch the announcement or anything since Samsung flagships have proven to not be my cup of tea, but is the AI poo poo mandatory or can you just not use it? If it's the latter it's just the usual case of Samsung including a bunch of poo poo on a phone that realistically people won't, or shouldn't, use anyway.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Why don't they call it Milk AI? They'll likely kill that off too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The keynote was strange because they spent a ton of time on Google supplied features that the Pixel 8 is getting too (circle to search and Google messages features). It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of Galaxy AI is actually Bard on the backend.

Again though, strange keynote. Less hardware emphasis while leaning into Google services.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bull3964 posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of Galaxy AI is actually Bard on the backend.

Check out the mkbhd video I posted, he shows the various AI features and mentions that you can tell when they're available because they have "two little star icons, well Bard logo" or something like that. He also showed the photo editor and said it seems less restrictive than the pixel version. It also puts a Bard watermark on the edited image

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay I can get a big chunk off the price of this for trading in my S22 Ultra so I'm back to 'considering it', if I buy an unlocked one from samsung.com will that give me any issues with T-Mobile? I don't think I've ever gotten an unlocked one before but I like the orange color and that only comes unlocked :shobon:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
xperia v 5 is here. Definitely larger than a pixel 5 but less giant feeling than the xenfone 10. It feels like a higher quality thing too :shrug:. Guess I'll stick with it.

The software seems okay so far, too.

Unrelated to the devices but I went to make sure my pixel 5 whatsapp had made a recent backup before I set it up on the new fone and it turns out whatsapp hasn't completed a backup since July of last year and never gave any indication about it. Quality stuff.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

oops wrong thread

smoobles fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 18, 2024

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

other people posted:

xperia v 5 is here. Definitely larger than a pixel 5 but less giant feeling than the xenfone 10. It feels like a higher quality thing too :shrug:. Guess I'll stick with it.

The software seems okay so far, too.

Unrelated to the devices but I went to make sure my pixel 5 whatsapp had made a recent backup before I set it up on the new fone and it turns out whatsapp hasn't completed a backup since July of last year and never gave any indication about it. Quality stuff.

I'm really confused. According to Phone Arena, the Xperia V 5 is like a quarter inch (~6 mm) taller than either the Pixel 5 or the Zenfone 10. It is slightly narrower, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

repiv posted:

You are kidding yourself if you think Google won't lock Bards best features behind a Google One subscription (or whatever they're calling it now) after a year or two.

Did anyone actually expect this poo poo to be free forever?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You are kidding yourself if you think Google won't lock Bards best features behind a Google One subscription (or whatever they're calling it now) after a year or two.

Did anyone actually expect this poo poo to be free forever?

probably true for anything that runs on the cloud, yeah

google are at least pushing a subset of their AI features down onto the device itself on newer hardware

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

hooah posted:

I'm really confused. According to Phone Arena, the Xperia V 5 is like a quarter inch (~6 mm) taller than either the Pixel 5 or the Zenfone 10. It is slightly narrower, though.

The xenfone is super fat :shrug:

Also, is there a simple & pretty launcher anyone can recommend? I liked the pixel launcher but it isn't really available.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

explosivo posted:

Okay I can get a big chunk off the price of this for trading in my S22 Ultra so I'm back to 'considering it', if I buy an unlocked one from samsung.com will that give me any issues with T-Mobile? I don't think I've ever gotten an unlocked one before but I like the orange color and that only comes unlocked :shobon:

Only issue is no native visual voicemail integration.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can WhatsApp be accessed using the FFC as biometric on the Pixel 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

other people posted:

The xenfone is super fat :shrug:

It's just 0.76mm thicker.

Otherwise it's the same width and quite a bit shorter. The Zenfone is also nearly half an oz lighter.

It's fine if you prefer the Xperia, but it is not a smaller phone.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can WhatsApp be accessed using the FFC as biometric on the Pixel 8?

It's a class 3 biometric. The app doesn't actually care what the biometric type is, only what class it requires and the face unlock on the Pixel 8 series is the highest. Prompts are all invoked via the same API, no explicit support is necessary..

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 18, 2024