Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

an iksar marauder posted:

My main current gripe with tiny rogues is no saving in the middle of a run. A lot of the time I just want to get in some quick playing, but the runs have been getting longer and longer progressively. Used to be just 10 zones with death at the end, now it's 12 zones, more and longer end boss fights, side rooms, side shops

Seriously? Was about to pick it up but this is a big nope from me. I play in like 15 -30 minute bites, sometimes days apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah, that is kind of a bummer although usually a run doesn't take me longer than 30 minutes anyway.

the dev said in the last patch notes that accessibility/qol will be the focus of the next patch so hopefully run saving is included in that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah infusion trait is good and tends to fit with periodical builds pretty well which just delete everything in the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

It makes sense to me that stack limits for a specific debuff wouldn't increase with additional triggerers. It's more an issue of design that you hit stack limits so fast on everything with minimal enabling.

Oh sure, the issue is that there's no real consistency in how shared buffs are used. If you have one source of Berserk, one source of Rage, and one source of Fury you get the maximum benefit from all three. If you have three sources of Berserk or three sources of Rage then the second two do basically nothing for you. It's entirely arbitrary which sources complement each other and which ones don't despite all being thematically the same thing. See also Haste/Tailwind/Speed Boost/Swiftness (!)

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

No Wave posted:

Doubled booze is +20% damage a lot of the time, and thats assuming beer isnt bugged. Mageblood is obvi the best one its broken. But perma infusion is +20% dmg from shock, perma cold (which is huge) and those two are worth the price of admission so fire is just a bonus and you enable a ton of stuff on top. The elemental wheel one is +100% damage all of a dudden if you are using any elemental weapon, harmony is the obvious one, plus a lot of equipment.

But your opinion was common enough that it got a massive buff with nature damage infusion.

The additions are fine in a vacuum but I find that frequently enough I have an incidental source of an element that reduces that infusion contribution to just a flat damage bonus. I see your point though; I’m probably undervaluing it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth in the next update (currently available on beta branch) there are 7 infusions, though one is the rare holy infusion and another one is kinda worthless (.2 mana drain per attack, but an infusion build is going to have so much attack speed you'll just be in mana burn full-time)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiramisu posted:

The additions are fine in a vacuum but I find that frequently enough I have an incidental source of an element that reduces that infusion contribution to just a flat damage bonus. I see your point though; I’m probably undervaluing it.

The damage bonus is really good if you have a rapid-fire attack build. Personally I don't think it's optimal in a lot of builds, but it's also worthwhile in almost every build, which is more than can be said for a lot of traits.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Toad rain scroll is my favourite. Hope there are more animal rain themed weapons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also, maybe it's just a me thing, but Tiny Rogues sure made a choice to just aggressively rip stuff off. I don't mind cutesy references or obvious inspirations, but Death is just straight up Malthael? Really?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's references to a ton of pop culture and gamer things all throughout the game.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
running across the potion seller in the tavern for the first time was pretty funny

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bald Stalin posted:

There's references to a ton of pop culture and gamer things all throughout the game.

Yeah, I'm aware.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

John Murdoch posted:

Also, maybe it's just a me thing, but Tiny Rogues sure made a choice to just aggressively rip stuff off. I don't mind cutesy references or obvious inspirations, but Death is just straight up Malthael? Really?

just wait till you hear about vampire survivors

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

you went with the generic blizzard guy and not ornstein and smough??

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The thing about "permanent potions/resins" that devalues them a fair bit is that potions and resins already last long enough, and drop frequently enough, that if you hold onto them at all through easy floors and go after them as rewards later on at all(you should)... you can already have most of them active for all the difficult stuff on any given run.

You may have to pass up on one or two gold food drops later on for potion rewards, but that's less of an opportunity cost than spending a trait on mageblood.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean they only last 10 floors and making them permanent means you can choose a food/currency/etc room instead of picking another one up. Also saves you inventory space which is another benefit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Also, they don't stack so if you get a bit unlucky the same pots drop and they're useless

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
But yeh inventory space is a big one if you're losing 2 slots to cinder and are on a companion run

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LazyMaybe posted:

The thing about "permanent potions/resins" that devalues them a fair bit is that potions and resins already last long enough, and drop frequently enough, that if you hold onto them at all through easy floors and go after them as rewards later on at all(you should)... you can already have most of them active for all the difficult stuff on any given run.

While this is kinda true, it does mean allocating a lot of inventory space to potions, and means that you have to prioritize potion rooms over other rooms. So really the value of Mageblood is in freeing you up to focus on other sources of power, giving you more flexibility. Without it, you'd probably want to go after 1-2 alchemy chest rooms per floor.

Regarding the pop culture references: they're an easy way to pad out your content if you don't trust your ability to come up with novel stuff. I take them as basically a signifier that I shouldn't pay attention to the game's worldbuilding or setting, because there isn't any.

e:f;b

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

studio mujahideen posted:

you went with the generic blizzard guy and not ornstein and smough??

I figured it made more sense to cite the boss you always fight, but yeah slapping O+S in there is also tacky.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean they only last 10 floors and making them permanent means you can choose a food/currency/etc room instead of picking another one up. Also saves you inventory space which is another benefit.

Yeah, potions are good enough and last short enough that Mage Blood is absolutely worth it. If you don't have Mage Blood I wouldn't risk a potion room in floor 11 or 12 just because the chance of a random potion is probably not worth the stats.

Early game when it's competing with gold/bombs/keys? Absolutely.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Regarding the pop culture references: they're an easy way to pad out your content if you don't trust your ability to come up with novel stuff. I take them as basically a signifier that I shouldn't pay attention to the game's worldbuilding or setting, because there isn't any.

this is where im at. itd be lame if the game was bad, but the game rocks, so its funny and good instead

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im a fake gamer because i only ever got some of the weapon references... sob sob

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

this is where im at. itd be lame if the game was bad, but the game rocks, so its funny and good instead
basically this. prepare to die! Ouuugh-grah-grah-grah-grah!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not even really that, a lot of the designs are rip-offs of really good designs. It's hard to make good designs, compare the rip-offs to the OCs and the rip-offs generally look better (compare Death to the final boss of hell). Straight up having both the gargoyles AND smoughstein is pretty lol though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like all the little references, I can basically use my Gungeon muscle memory when the Iron Maiden shows up. I don't remember the name but one boss is straight-up Sirus from Path of Exile too, I started soyfacing when I recognized the attack patterns (and Mageblood being OP is very apropos)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

porting in the iron maidens from gungeon is violence, to me. although they're easier to deal with here

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While this is kinda true, it does mean allocating a lot of inventory space to potions, and means that you have to prioritize potion rooms over other rooms. So really the value of Mageblood is in freeing you up to focus on other sources of power, giving you more flexibility. Without it, you'd probably want to go after 1-2 alchemy chest rooms per floor.
Not really, because I don't care at all about having potion buffs until the last 2-3 floors(because those early floors are easy) and at that point I will usually have accumulated potions without even trying. And once you are on those last floors, it's completely fine to pick a potion reward instead of small bonuses like +2.5% lucky hit chance.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think 10 rooms is a really really long duration relative to the power the potions have, and again, the opportunity cost of spending a perk on essentially just inventory space(what else are you using your inventory space on that is actually practically useful by the endgame?) is steep.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 18, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There are a ton of enemies to learn and a cinder that adds harder ones that are completely new varieties not just reskins and if you play as demon hunter you get tained rooms that have their own, unique set of even more enemies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LazyMaybe posted:

I think 10 rooms is a really really long duration relative to the power the potions have, and again, the opportunity cost of spending a perk on essentially just inventory space(what else are you using your inventory space on that is actually practically useful by the endgame?) is steep.

You get so much money selling poo poo to the pawn shop though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, who said I'm not selling stuff at pawn shops? Once you're at the endgame you've already got plenty of money and your stuff's upgraded. I'm not talking about like, filling your whole inventory with potions the whole game. I'm saying that by the time I'm near the end, I'll have some potions already and I'll grab more along the way, and have most of the potion buffs without issue for the fights that actually matter. So I don't value "potions last forever" highly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You somehow have most of the potion buffs, without the permanent potion trait? I'm mashing X there are a bunch of potions and they're not THAT common a reward.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sway Grunt posted:

I've been enjoying Tiny Rogues the past week but I'm not yet completely enamored with it. I think it suffers from some keyword/mechanic overload, there's so much "item does damage of type X which puts an ailment of type Y which has an effect of type N which triggers on Z" stuff that my eyes just glaze over it eventually. There must be a way to clean that up a bit. But I've only played 8 hours so maybe you just get used to it.

I also think it lacks a bit of personality right now. The gameplay's fun though and that's a good base to build off of.

My recent run gave me an UBFG+2 early so that was kind of a rout.

There are weapons where the tooltips are longer than the actual weapon infobox, it's absurd. The dev really needs to start consolidating those.

John Murdoch posted:

It's so brazen that it goes all the way around and becomes funny. Almost the entire initial roster is a straight copy of Dark Souls 1's classes, name and all, then you unlock Diablo and Final Fantasy ones and there's even a Stranger Things reference lol Coming across the gargoyles and O+S was immensely funny, especially since their level has Anor Londo-style giants and silver knights :allears:

Gone Fashing posted:

running across the potion seller in the tavern for the first time was pretty funny

Oooh I assumed it was a reference to something but I've no idea to what exactly.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I really like all the tooltips tbqh, its kind of refreshing to just have that info available where I actually need it, instead of having to cross-reference with in-game docs or something. its especially nice that every item that interacts with crits or lucky hits tells you your lucky/crit chance and your crit multiplier, without having to check your sheet

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Azran posted:

Oooh I assumed it was a reference to something but I've no idea to what exactly.
this old internet video
https://youtube.com/watch?v=R_FQU4KzN7A

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

There's been a Tiny Rogues thread for a while, in case people missed it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050084

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

being a hosed up dreaming freezing ghost that lulls everyone into an eternal sleep ftw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bald Stalin posted:

You somehow have most of the potion buffs, without the permanent potion trait? I'm mashing X there are a bunch of potions and they're not THAT common a reward.
Frequently, yes. And almost always most of the potion buffs I actually want, like power/anger/wrath.

I just did a couple runs, and on the first one, at the end of the game I had-

-7 different potion effects active, including all the ones I care about(no luck potion, but I had resolute technique so who cares). This is on a run where I opened 1 alchemy chest.
Also note that I have both the trait that doubles beer buffs and the trait that doubles potion buffs. Plus the trait that raises power per actor(including you) and the trait that increases buff effectiveness depending on power, which is why that beer buff is giving me +198% damage instead of +180% damage, and that means those numbers all get dramatically higher with multiple enemies onscreen. You have to work to enable these, especially doubled beer buff, but the payoff for each of them is so much higher than mageblood, which just enables you to have the buffs up on floors you don't normally need them on.
Even if I was only able to get half as much tipsiness as this, the doubled beer damage buff would clear mageblood easily. Every +HP favor boost or piece of gear that gives +HP is another +20% damage, assuming you can reach a tavern-and there's a perk to guarantee a tavern on floor 10! It's so good!

The 2nd run I only had 4 potion buffs at the end, which is obviously not most of the potions that exist, but among those 4 potion buffs I had power, wrath, rage, stamina. Again, I have most of the buffs I actually want during the fights I need them, no need to give up a perk slot. And that time I had 3 active infusions, so I'm still doing the last floor with a lot of active buffs.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

I really like all the tooltips tbqh, its kind of refreshing to just have that info available where I actually need it, instead of having to cross-reference with in-game docs or something. its especially nice that every item that interacts with crits or lucky hits tells you your lucky/crit chance and your crit multiplier, without having to check your sheet

Yeah, this is one of the best things about TR. It may have a ton of different effects, some even specific to one special weapon, but that's not a problem, because you always can easily see what it does and how likely you trigger it.

I wonder one thing though - for weapon damage, does it show raw value of the weapon, or is it already adjusting for scaling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're looking at the weapon, it's adjusting for scaling. If you do something like put on/off the accessory that gives +30 strength with a str scaling weapon you'll see it swing up and down hugely.

Also for anyone who hasn't realized this yet: there's not actually a big difference at all in the damage gained per stat based on the letter grade of the scaling on a weapon. If a weapon scales at all with a stat, you'll get a good damage boost from increasing that stat a lot. Which is part of why many high rarity weapons scale with 2-3 stats, it's generally better for a weapon's damage to scale with more stats than to scale better with 1 stat, because you're going to get a decent number of opportunities to get stats that aren't the one you want to focus(and frequently, you should be taking them).