Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A lot of people who have done electronics soldering for a very long time consider RoHS and Pb-free to be a detriment and total enshittification, and having worked with lead on stained glass and hobby projects, and SAC professionally, I'll say...

Dual-core loctite SAC is really good these days, Indium made some really good SAC paste, and it's mostly skill issue - specifically skill issue of being used to the melting point of and lubricity of lead your entire career.
Lead solder is absolutely 100% better in every possible way, and I have some sitting around for repairing stuff that's over 10 years old or Chinese. The problem is that the best flowing low-melting point metal that exists is a poisonous heavy metal.
RoHS was enshittification, but for an actual legitimate public health reason. SAC is Sn, Ag and Cu. It's not anywhere near as easy to work with as solder that contains Pb, but you do it for a while and realize why they're using it, it's close enough and you can modify your technique, especially if you're doing a bunch of in-shield microsoldering with air and stuff. SAC is way stickier imo.
Wear gloves though, I know a couple techs from the plant I worked at that worked with SAC and other silver-containing solders for like 25+ years and their old man hands and fingers are all covered in blue argyria stains in the shape of solder wires now lol.

edit: also, while it was enshittification for people working on that stuff because they hated learning new things and adjusting their techniques and getting rid of a whole loving waste stream, it actually works better than leaded solder in application for ceramic BGA processors; i.e. every device with a SOC you own.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I just ordered some Felder Sn100Ni+ to see if it's worth anything. I got enough leaded solder left for repairs on vintage electronics for the rest of my life, but if i keep using it for everything i do, i'll run out in 20 years or so and at that point in time, i think it's safe to assume the tin/lead solder will be either very hard to find, or very expensive - so i kinda don't wanna get into that situation.

I hope it's any good. I tried some no brand lead free solder, and that stuff was utterly unworkable with the tools i use (370 degree C old magnastat soldering irons - theoretically hot enough but idk).

No brand leaded solder always was passable. No brand lead free is really poo poo, so far.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is a weird one, but I just got one of those spam "Hot woman in YOUR AREA!" emails. Except this one was "With the WAR II UKRAINE going on, many people have been displaced. Up to 80,000 people have left Ukraine for your country. Do you want to BANG hot Ukrainian refugees? Click below to see these sad, HORNY ladies with no home!"

They somehow made spam emails worse.

"Become a war profiteer... in bed!"

"With the things she's seen, she'll stare at it like it's a thousand yards!"

"Post-traumatic *sexy* disorder!"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

LimaBiker posted:

I just ordered some Felder Sn100Ni+ to see if it's worth anything. I got enough leaded solder left for repairs on vintage electronics for the rest of my life, but if i keep using it for everything i do, i'll run out in 20 years or so and at that point in time, i think it's safe to assume the tin/lead solder will be either very hard to find, or very expensive - so i kinda don't wanna get into that situation.

I hope it's any good. I tried some no brand lead free solder, and that stuff was utterly unworkable with the tools i use (370 degree C old magnastat soldering irons - theoretically hot enough but idk).

No brand leaded solder always was passable. No brand lead free is really poo poo, so far.

As a rule, you can't and shouldn't use Pb solder on boards that were soldered with SAC and vice-versa unless you do way more cleaning than is financially viable. Loctite SAC wire and Indium SAC paste is what Sennheiser uses to make their G4 stuff, and it's excellent. The flux is real important too, SAC fluxes are formulated different from Pb fluxes. poo poo, our wave machine and rework process used two different types of loctite flux. This is the best SAC flux for hand work, but it's always out of stock and one time a dude forgot to put the order card in for a week and we ran out of the good flux for 3 weeks while our logistics team got a special order jumped to the front of the line. SAC solder needs good flux for its reflow properties, whenever you're working with an overoxidized tip or not enough flux it flows like poo poo, transfers a bunch of heat into the board without melting, and beads up.

A big part of the old timers I worked with bitching about SAC was them not liking having to use irons and heat guns as digital programmable appliances (simpler than an 80's VCR) with heat and fan profiles as button macros, and then change the profile on the fly in order to do poo poo they just coulda done without adjusting heat with lead.

I get it, but I also don't want to work with lead very much.

SMD is really enshittification personified, though. How are you going to replace an 0201 or 0402 resistor, inductor or cap without a diagram, which the company you bought the product from will not give you or have available unless you are lucky as poo poo or a corporate subscription customer? There are tons of parts in exactly the same form factor with different values that are too small to print anything on, I guarantee you the floor trash 0201 caps in this picture are different values:

that's a quarter at the top and a microscopic solder ball in the middle for scale
poo poo, all our stuff went haywire when we had to start sourcing parts from alternate suppliers in final testing, even though everything was "in spec," during the peak of the chip shortage and thereafter. Good luck fixing any SMD thing reliably going forward.
Most of the issues we had with final testing were voltages that were -.01 to +0.01 traced back to alternate parts.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 17, 2024

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mercury_Storm posted:

...wait so things aren't selling until an algorithm marks it down just before it rots (to pre-pandemic prices I'm guessing) and that makes them think they're being stolen from?

More that they didn't do accurate stocktake because that would require paying someone and relied on lovely tech to do the job. Now they got someone to actually count stuff they're learning that the lovely tech didn't work well at all so are blaming marauding gangs of organised shoplifters rather than accept they hosed up.

For enshittification in my life I watched a dude have to do a 3 point turn with his mobility scooter to get out of the supermarket because the new 'anti shoplifting' gates aren't easily accessible at all when you have wheels. It also took 2 staff to move stuff out of the way for him to get out. All because someone got a bonus for putting in some self service checkouts and now they need to be made to work no matter what.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Didn’t Target die in Canada because of their faulty inventory tracking system?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I think it was trying to use SAP without paying for SAP professionals. It's always been lovely to use without a lot of extra support and custom additions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is a weird one, but I just got one of those spam "Hot woman in YOUR AREA!" emails. Except this one was "With the WAR II UKRAINE going on, many people have been displaced. Up to 80,000 people have left Ukraine for your country. Do you want to BANG hot Ukrainian refugees? Click below to see these sad, HORNY ladies with no home!"

It's practically humanitarian aid

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

no it's because they did zero research and assumed Canada was exactly the same as the US

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just bought a 2015 car that came with a 3G connection when new. The 3G network is now shut down, and there is no upgrade solution for the car to 4G or 5G, so I now get to enjoy 2G speeds on the navigation and infotainment interface.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bradzilla posted:

no it's because they did zero research and assumed Canada was exactly the same as the US

it's pretty shocking how sanitized, rewritten, and simply not taught the history of the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, and War of 1812 are in the US. The country where they all happened that was one of the belligerents.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

skooma512 posted:

The Coachella lineup this year suuuuucks

Can't speak on that but music festivals 100% fit this thread. Their golden years are looong gone.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Yup. The trend is NVME drives and while those can top out at 1-2TB now, if that's all your storage you're gonna fill it up fast if you want to play more than a couple current games. Starfield is 150GB, MFS, Forza, BG3, and Warzone are all about that much. I have to be very choosy with what gets SSD space and what doesn't, since some games will not function on a spinner at all and they mean it when they say it's required.

This results in making tough choices, but also easy choices, like uninstalling Starfield :v:

SATA SSDs are going way down in price, a 2TB SSD is not that expensive anymore in the old form factor.

Speaking of NVMe, NVMe slots are making motherboards shittier. Give me back my PCIe slots! :argh:

skooma512 posted:

some Scrum waterfall poo poo

Software development has the worst jargon, no wonder software sucks so much if the idiots who write it think "dogfooding" and "scrum" are things you should be doing in your company.

:lmao: that part of "agile software scrums" is having daily meetings, what a productive and not wasteful use of time

MrQwerty posted:

it's pretty shocking how sanitized, rewritten, and simply not taught the history of the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, and War of 1812 are in the US. The country where they all happened that was one of the belligerents.

This is basically true for most wars among the belligerents because nation states are universally evil. Consider the way Japan teaches kids about certain "incidents" they had in the '30s and early '40s...

Apparently AI has decided the most beautiful men all look like the Übermutant from Wolfenstein.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 17, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Woolie Wool posted:

This is basically true for most wars among the belligerents because nation states are universally evil. Consider the way Japan teaches kids about certain "incidents" they had in the '30s and early '40s...

It's weird because I saw some of it happen in my lifetime, and I ended up getting a history degree. The French were already THE COUNTRY THAT SURRENDERED FIRST IN WWII by the time I was born, but I was 15 when 9/11 happened, and I got to watch the barest mentions of how responsible France is for the creation of this country completely written out of American history at any level below college when I was 17. When I was 17 I already knew the story about France's surrender because I got interested in history at an early age. "Freedom fries," "FRANCE HATES THE US," Toby Keith, all of it was so loving stupid, but it's an easy talking point that belies a rewriting of our national history at a really fundamental level that's unfair to the participants; and it's something that makes everyone dumber overall.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MrQwerty posted:

It's weird because I saw some of it happen in my lifetime, and I ended up getting a history degree. The French were already THE COUNTRY THAT SURRENDERED FIRST IN WWII by the time I was born, but I was 15 when 9/11 happened, and I got to watch the barest mentions of how responsible France is for the creation of this country completely written out of American history at any level below college when I was 17. When I was 17 I already knew the story about France's surrender because I got interested in history at an early age. "Freedom fries," "FRANCE HATES THE US," Toby Keith, all of it was so loving stupid, but it's an easy talking point that belies a rewriting of our national history at a really fundamental level that's unfair to the participants; and it's something that makes everyone dumber overall.

Yeeeaaah...the French were some of the biggest allies in defeating the British during the American revolution. By the time the French Revolution gets going though, there's kind of a schism happening between shores, which escalates eventually to the Quasi-War and the breaking of the Treaty of Alliance. Our relationship with France has never fully recovered, and the US would eschew any more formal military alliances until WWII.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can’t really generalize American education which is like 10,000 independent school districts and god knows how many teachers doing who knows what .

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeeeaaah...the French were some of the biggest allies in defeating the British during the American revolution. By the time the French Revolution gets going though, there's kind of a schism happening between shores, which escalates eventually to the Quasi-War and the breaking of the Treaty of Alliance. Our relationship with France has never fully recovered, and the US would eschew any more formal military alliances until WWII.

yeah, but the French relationship with the US has pretty much been completely written out of K-12 US history since freedom fries

euphronius posted:

You can’t really generalize American education which is like 10,000 independent school districts and god knows how many teachers doing who knows what .

you can, actually, based on what textbook market they're buying from. K-12 teachers aren't giving their kids daily reader packets and telling them, "gently caress that book they made me make you buy it, get your money back."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

you can, actually, based on what textbook market they're buying from. K-12 teachers aren't giving their kids daily reader packets and telling them, "gently caress that book they made me make you buy it, get your money back."

K-12 students in the US don’t buy their own textbooks. The schools provide them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wash bucket posted:

K-12 students in the US don’t buy their own textbooks. The schools provide them.

yes that is the loving point I was making thanks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Many schools have moved away from textbooks and gone to authentic sources and materials instead

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

buglord posted:

It looks like the Targets ive been to in both the rich and the poor zip codes have gone absolutely nuts with putting everything behind security panels. Phone cases, detergents, toothpaste, underwear, every single thing. Of course you use the little summoning button and nobody shows up, and when you do flag down an employee they dont have the keys with them about half the time.

Some googling redditing suggests its semi-organized thieves reselling items on amazon/facebook marketplace or something? Its supremely annoying and its stupid just how many items are behind glass now.

the walmart near me took all of the bargain bin DVDs, put them in a box and locked them in a glass cabinet. sifting through that garbage was one of the few retail joys I had left.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

euphronius posted:

Many schools have moved away from textbooks and gone to authentic sources and materials instead

I'd like that to be the case, but the majority of K-12 kids are getting textbooks written for 3 markets: California, Texas, and Florida. History wise, they all say real different poo poo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

yes that is the loving point I was making thanks

Well then I’ll apologize for my reading comprehension because I’m not sure how else to parse your “made me make you” comment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Those sources and materials are the Bible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The French aren’t in the Bible either so we are back to square one

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Pretty soon AI will be writing textbooks that no one fact checks, if they aren't already

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MrQwerty posted:

Imaging calling the people who fought at Verdun cowardly. The rah rah freedom fries crowd would have sit their pants just getting off the train there, let alone before they even got to a trench.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wash bucket posted:

Well then I’ll apologize for my reading comprehension because I’m not sure how else to parse your “made me make you” comment.

I'm commenting on the fact that there are different textbooks that tell very different stories about very critical parts of US history based on what market your K-12 is in, and it's not like a K-12 teacher in Mississippi or Florida can go tell their class, "hey, that book sucks, sell it back I just have a bunch of packets."

Instead, all those children get to learn about how the Civil War was about a mild disagreement over undefined State's Rights and chattel slavery was actually extremely beneficial to black people.

edit: I worked for follett for 2 years and the textbook industry are low-key some of the dirtiest motherfuckers in this country, absolutely bigger assholes than pharma

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MrQwerty posted:

I'm commenting on the fact that there are different textbooks that tell very different stories about very critical parts of US history based on what market your K-12 is in, and it's not like a K-12 teacher in Mississippi or Florida can go tell their class, "hey, that book sucks, sell it back I just have a bunch of packets."

Instead, all those children get to learn about how the Civil War was about a mild disagreement over undefined State's Rights and chattel slavery was actually extremely beneficial to black people.

edit: I worked for follett for 2 years and the textbook industry are low-key some of the dirtiest motherfuckers in this country, absolutely bigger assholes than pharma

I worked for HMH for 6 years, we only did K-12 as well. It was wild because California would reject a book for not having a strong enough depiction of first nations or how all the pictures of India were of dirt rear end poor India.

Florida and Texas would reject it because of Common Core (we just removed the words Common Core) or because the books didn't show US History as 100% good times for everyone.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

so the thing is, yeah, pharma are assholes and they're a legal drug cartel and "legal" vs. "illegal" drugs is dubious and they do jack prices when they're allowed to -
but that's a problem with the US insurance industry. They're drug dealers, they want as much money as they can be paid for their product, and if you're going to hand them stacks of cash they're going to take it.
Say you have a problem like my brother just had, though, where insurance providers changed and now CVS has decided to not pay for his insulin?
Well, drug dealers like selling drugs, so the company that makes his insulin gives him coupons so he can buy his insulin at the rate his insurance was covering, because dead customers mean no money, especially on poo poo like insulin.

The textbook industry is allowed to publish multiple, contradictory, dumbed down, low-reading level versions of reality because Texas and Florida want to do that and it's allowed for some reason. Then public schools are allowed to use millions of dollars of state and federal money to purchase poo poo that is 100% factually inaccurate and teach it to children as the Absolute Truth.
They know what they're doing, too, especially with how they jack you in college. They don't want to sell you books unless you can throw wads of benjies at them. They'd prefer you not if you can't afford to buy in.

For pharma, a good customer is a living customer.
For textbooks, a good customer is a mark.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 17, 2024

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Jeeeeeesus Christ, man. That'll be enough for me today.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mercury_Storm posted:

...wait so things aren't selling until an algorithm marks it down just before it rots (to pre-pandemic prices I'm guessing) and that makes them think they're being stolen from?

Because the discounting is being counted in the same categories.

Think about markdown meat. They put those 50% and 75% stickers on it. That discount is a loss. That loss very often is counted in different categories of shrink depending on the type of discount.

That’s dramatically expanded and it’s not a person doing it, so they don’t know why the shrink is spiking up.

Be we do know that theft is staying relatively flat as the data about it comes out.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

skooma512 posted:

The Coachella lineup this year suuuuucks

Rich douchebags will still go to it. It's like Burning Man. They're both just for rich shitbags now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I haven't worked in retail for nearly 20 years but when I did so much shrinkage was caused by people further up the chain cutting costs. We had so many deliveries of things that were broken or soiled to the point that they either had to be sold at a deep discount or could not possibly be sold, and this was considered to be the fault of the store staff and not the middle-manager somewhere that had decided to save a tiny amount of money hiring completely incompetent or downright negligent delivery services, including one time when I received an entire delivery of frozen food in an unrefrigerated truck. This was marked as shrinkage against my store because I refused to sell it knowing that it could loving kill someone.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
The last time I went to Fred Meyer it was like walking into the refugee camp in Children of Men. Armed guards and gates everywhere, elderly people weeping openly, barrel fires, parades of jihadis chanting and firing rifles in the air, the whole thing. A kindly eastern european lady did bring me to the cold medicine aisle though so that was nice. I wish the Whole Foods by my house carried actual medicine and not just fake bullshit for idiots. Its much more pleasant there.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

redshirt posted:

There was a real story some years ago when Amazon pulled legally purchased copies of 1984 from people's Kindles due to a dispute with the publisher. Everyone was refunded, but the idea of a megacorp taking back a book that I had purchased without consent convinced me that I'll never consider an electronic purchase an actual purchase, but just a form of rental.

If I really want to own it, I buy the physical copy.

Also, ask me about my giant library!

To be fair this was a one-off thing that got Amazon such bad press that it's never happened before with their Kindle books as far as I can tell.

Emphasis being on as far as I can tell.

I dunno about Kindle books but it seems to be a problem with their Audible service. It hasn't happened to me, but I've read stories of people noticing a book they bought on Audible is just gone now with no warning or refund. If they ask customer service about it then they'll confirm it was some rights bullshit and give a refund. I guess they just hope you don't notice and if you do it's just a 'whoopsie, sorry about that, here's your money back!'

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The makeup gun was set to whore

Imagine if they passed around a white towel and rubbed their faces on it. What would come back

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Apple pulled some seasons/specials of the Rocky Gervais podcast from circa 2007 from my library.

Thankfully they're all over YouTube now.

And the uploaders level the audio so Ricky's annoying howling and screeching isn't ear shattering, which is nice as myself and apparently a ton of others like to listen to them in bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

The makeup gun was set to whore

Imagine if they passed around a white towel and rubbed their faces on it. What would come back