Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey

hey

What if the Eagles hire Frank Reich back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
It's weird they need to post a story that he's not getting canned

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

It's weird they need to post a story that he's not getting canned

Nah, not teams that get that much media attention and speculation. This way they control the message and can move on.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey

hey

What if the Eagles hire Frank Reich back

Lol if you don’t think Nick already floated the idea of him coming on as a senior advisor!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xbilkis posted:

Keeping McCarthy is maybe 1000x more justifiable than keeping Sirianni

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

xbilkis posted:

Keeping McCarthy is maybe 1000x more justifiable than keeping Sirianni
I ain't justifying either one but Sirianni has lead his team to literally twice as many playoff victories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah but only one has had a team quit on them

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but only one has had a team quit on them

You forgot to add "this year"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I would rather have McCarthy than Sirianni tbh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I would rather have McCarthy than Sirianni tbh.

Agree with this

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

gonna laugh my rear end off for the rest of this week

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I am so excited for another year of horrible clock management, zero adjustment, no motion on the road, poor play calling and poor discipline. Was hoping for Belichick, it'd be audacious and perhaps a spectacular failure, but it'd be different and perhaps successful.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Do they think the players will unquit on Sirianni next year?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 18, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He just has to make the right obscene gestures during camp.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He just has to make the right obscene gestures during camp.

Patricia knows what to do, you just cut all the good players who hate you and sign guys who are just happy to be on a team because they suck so much.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
drat, belichick coaching the cowboys would’ve been a wonderful nfl villian, and great drama with jerruh. Would’ve expected at least one of them to lose their job, particularly siriani

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

CapnAndy posted:

I ain't justifying either one but Sirianni has lead his team to literally twice as many playoff victories

Hell of a load-bearing usage of "lead" tbqh

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers apparently interviewed Quinn, Raheem and someone I think would be a good hire in Frank Smith today.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Pontius Pilate posted:

drat, belichick coaching the cowboys would’ve been a wonderful nfl villian, and great drama with jerruh. Would’ve expected at least one of them to lose their job, particularly siriani

I do wonder if each side was quietly factoring in what their rival was choosing to do

Not that they'd outright flip their opinion, but if it was real close to 50/50 amongst the decision-makers, and you know the main rival for the division decided to keep their unpopular (amongst the fans) guy, maybe you feel like that tips things over into the conservative choice of "run it back"?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dan graziano is saying panthers are planning to hire Brian Callahan (bengals oc) but I have nothing except a tweet as an actual source.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:bisonyes:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kalensc posted:

I do wonder if each side was quietly factoring in what their rival was choosing to do

Not that they'd outright flip their opinion, but if it was real close to 50/50 amongst the decision-makers, and you know the main rival for the division decided to keep their unpopular (amongst the fans) guy, maybe you feel like that tips things over into the conservative choice of "run it back"?

Feel like that probably factored into it

But feel like if a rival was running it back you’d swing for the fences and make a move and mix sports metaphors. Bill Belichick leading the Eagles against the fat mike boys, and vice versa, sounds real good

Happy the chargers have a better chance at harbaugh tho

e: lots of feels

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Dan graziano is saying panthers are planning to hire Brian Callahan (bengals oc) but I have nothing except a tweet as an actual source.

That could be a good hire, especially if he brings his dad along.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

This bodes extremely well for a certain SAS tweet we all know is coming Jan 2025.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

kalensc posted:

I keep feeling like there's a more elegant metaphor here but the Eagles and Cowboys both seem to be drowning in quicksand, up to their necks, and doing nothing but staring each other in the eyes and thinking "well, as long as that motherfucker dies too".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

i'm a little confused lately do Cowboys fans want him fired so much just because of what happened in the playoff game? Or is there more to it? Because honestly Dallas had a great season

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

i'm a little confused lately do Cowboys fans want him fired so much just because of what happened in the playoff game? Or is there more to it? Because honestly Dallas had a great season

Great season up until it mattered. I think it's just an ongoing perception of fat Mike at this point.

Think Marty except not loveable. And slightly better in the playoffs but not to the point where he's better enough. Does that mean he should be fired? Hell if I know, but I'm not exactly buying super bowl tickets if I had the money to for the Cowboys next year.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kiimo posted:

Dallas had a great season if you ignore the games where they ate an absolute ton of poo poo from teams that may not have had their record but clearly were better put together and/or coached.

Dak was briefly considered MVP candidate? Nonfactor for an entire half (this is officially A Trend of his in the playoffs)

Micah Parsons, pass rush extraordinaire? Nonfactor

Defense overall and turnovers? Nonfactors.

CeeDee Lamb? Dak was off, but Lamb was too until garbage time. The perpetually injury ridden Michael Gallup had a better game, and he's been nonexistent all season.

The offensive scheme was bad and clearly could not figure out the defense. That's on McCarthy, who is also the offensive coordinator.

The defensive scheme was lost and failed from moment one. Everyone in DFW from all walks of life said "well, if the Packers have success running the ball the game could get dicey." Understatement of the year. The Packers did what the Bills did what the 49ers did. Dan Quinn has not beaten anyone coached by one of his former coordinators, apparently. That's a problem!

It was a garbage performance we had seen 3 separate times this season as I will include the Cardinals game. 3 times it happened, 3 times and there wasn't a single person on this team that could figure out any way to address the issues in any way. A complete team failure repeated 4 times, with the 4th occurring when it mattered most.

Everybody has earned the chance to get fired from the Dallas Cowboys, but Jerry is too scared to start over because he's old and failing and desperate. Problem is, his methods haven't worked for near 30 years now. It is a statistical anomaly that the Dallas Cowboys have not even been to an NFC title game since the 90s. They win a lot of games!!! Good god there are franchises green with envy when you look at the win totals this otherwise pointless organization has obtained. But beyond the regular season there simply has not been a team talented enough, deep enough, mentally strong enough, or just lucky enough to make it past round 2 of 4 in the playoffs.

The failures of the 2023 Dallas Cowboys are not just on Mike McCarthy. It's on just about everybody except Bryan Anger. I don't think "run it back" is really the right call here.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mike McCarthy is 1-3 in the playoffs in four years for a team with Superbowl aspirations. He hasn't even managed to get The Cowboys to the conference championship game.
Few believed in him when he was hired and he's done nothing to change anybody's mind about him.
Jerry Jones fires good coaches too soon and hangs on to subpar coaches too long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BB gonna go back to the motherland: Cleveland

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Overall he's 11-11 in playoffs but I think you could make the argument that his playoff resume is getting worse as times going on.

I would be fine if he was the Panthers coach for like the next 3 years. He'd probably build us into a contender but I really wouldn't expect a deep playoff run. He's kinda like John Fox at this point just with one better record in the big one.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Absolutely floored both the Cowboys and Eagles decided to stand pat like this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Absolutely floored both the Cowboys and Eagles decided to stand pat like this.

Starting to wonder if Jerruh is trying to turn the Cowboys franchise into his own funeral pyre.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Starting to wonder if Jerruh is trying to turn the Cowboys franchise into his own funeral pyre.

The Fall of the House of Jones. He made a deal for those 90s Super Bowl wins and everything since has been the price.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Mike is a big oak tree you don't take him down with a few swings. Sorry Dallas fans this is exactly the same as his tenure in GB which is why I predicted he'd be staying. He knows how to talk to ownership.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Sirianni thing baffles me. With all the cards down and no coordinators to lean on, he showed his whole rear end as a guy who couldn't get his teams ready to play. The optimal outcome - they get better coordinators and have a decent year again. Those coordinators move on and get promoted, back to square one.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That's absolutely a possibility. I have to think if they do bring in coordinators good enough to warrant head coaching nods elsewhere, they'll do more to try and hold onto 'em this time around. But there's probably only so much you can offer a coordinator that stacks up even halfway decently to being a head coach.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Crossposting from NFCE thread, today there was an Inquirer report that as of this morning that Sirianni hasn't met with Lurie yet. He's been essentially tasked with Howie's help to develop a list of coordinator candidates. Last time this happened, Doug was fired. Sirianni's not out of the woods yet.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

shyduck posted:

Crossposting from NFCE thread, there was an Inquirer report that as of this morning that Sirianni hasn't met with Lurie yet. He's been essentially tasked with Howie's help, developing a list of coordinator candidates. Last time this happened, Doug was fired.

Seems like a way to say "I gave him a shot. Wasn't good enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1747998878622699672?s=46