Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Am I the rear end in a top hat for farting on public transport?

This is the lactose intolerant goon that refuses to stop eating cheese, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

just carry around your doctor's prescription for ripping giant stinky farts whenever you feel like it and show it to anyone you're planning to be sealed in an enclosed space with. Ideally before, to set up a sense of anticipation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Remake of Speed, except the bus explodes if OP can't convince everyone to let them fart

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AITA for jumping out of the way when my niece and nephew tried to push me into a pool, resulting in them falling in?

quote:

[3 updates totalling 3000 words, all of which are fully summarized in the title]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling my daughter she is being selfish and that she needs to take an uber since I am not leaving her older brothers wedding

quote:

This has been a built up issue, my son got married this weekend and this issue isn’t dying so I am going here. My daughter has very bad anxiety, she is 19 and I will call her Shelly. Shelly used to go to therapy when she was a minor but stopped when she turned 18. Ever since the her anxiety has been out of control, and due to this she won’t drive anymore.

She has a license but refuses to drive. We live in the USA and driving is basically needed or it’s a big inconvenience for the people around her. Also she is an adult so it not like we can force her to drive.

This is the issue, my son was getting married and she was uncomfortable with so many people around at his wedding. She asked me to take her home, I told her no and if she having difficulties wait in the car. She told me it’s freezing outside and she needs to leave. I told her no again turn on the heat in the car and wait if she needs to be away from people.

She don’t like this answer and told me she will have an attack if she stays and she needs to go home. I told her to take an Uber than I am not leaving. She don’t like this and this was turning into a full argument. Shelly told me I need take her home again and I had enough.

I told Shelly she is being selfish, that she has many opinions and I will not deprive her bother (my son) of his parents being at his weddings. If I took her home I would miss his wedding since it was a hour drive here. She called me a jerk and left to stay in the car for a bit. She was back about an hour later for the rest of the wedding.

She has been pissed since and her younger brother is copying her

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

AITA for jumping out of the way when my niece and nephew tried to push me into a pool, resulting in them falling in?

quote:

[3 7 updates totalling 3000 ???? words, all of which are fully summarized in the title]

quote:

Update #7 - final (I hope!)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm gonna become a reddit mod just so I can perma this dingus

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lmao I should have dug further but honestly, can you blame me for not

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao I should have dug further but honestly, can you blame me for not

i can blame you. you had a solemn duty to this thread and you failed us. a covenant was violated today and when god stands in judgment of this world you will be cast aside as one of the unforgiven

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd say that that's actually going through to update #7. His in-laws provide plenty of entertainment, and he's a decent story teller.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Actually the entire story escalated way beyond some wet phones and drunken argument. It is so amazing I have a hard time believing it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I guess we're doing this.

quote:

Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/AmItheAsshole.
Moderators remove posts from feeds for a variety of reasons, including keeping communities safe, civil, and true to their purpose.

UPDATE: AITA for jumping out of the way when my niece and nephew tried to push me into a pool, resulting in them falling in?

quote:

First off, my folks tell me that my nieces and nephews are all good swimmers and that they use the pool all the time. The 7 year old is still a beginner but he loves the water. My sister just said they couldn't swim so I'd look bad. To be fair none of the kids are allowed in the deep end which is where they fell in. It was the two 10 year olds and the 9 year old who tried to push me into the pool.

After we left the party ended on a pretty sour note. My drunk brother in law who face planted while yelling at me had to go to an urgent care place and get his face stitched up. He was too toasted to drive so Dad took him. Dad was very not happy about this.

Late that evening my sisters started a group text and said some really nasty crap. Their husbands threw in a few comments as well. Wife and I blocked the four of them. My mom called me, she was pretty upset about what they said (she and dad were in the chat) and I don't blame her.

Because of the texts my folks insisted my sisters / BILs come over the next day (Sunday) without their kids to "get some things straight and lay down some ground rules" (mom's wording). The result was a contrite if unenthusiastic apology from the siblings via my mom's phone. I'm glad my wife was with me when they called - her hard stares kept me from saying what I wanted to. I just told them thanks and that we felt no need to discuss it further.

Since I thought things were settled I unblocked them. That evening I got a text from one of the BILs telling me the phones cost $XXXX and asking when I'd be paying for them. WTF??? I replied "Never", took a screenshot of his text and forwarded it to my folks with a note that we were done with this nonsense, were going no contact with sisters / spouses and not to invite us to any more holidays or get togethers if they'll be present. Then I blocked the sisters and their spouses again.

At that point the poo poo really hit the fan. Dad called them and ripped them a new one. Among other things he told them the grandkids were not welcome at his place indefinitely. Since my mom regularly provides free babysitting that got them pretty rattled. He also banned them from using the vacation house and told them my wife and I actually own it, not he and mom. This completely freaked them out - both of my sisters' / families use the place a lot including having their friends up for weekend getaways. This was very much out of character for my folks. They'd clearly had it. And for reference, I never wanted my sisters to know we own the place. We bought it for my folks, they'd always wanted a place in the mountains. Keeping the ownership quiet was just a way to avoid drama with my siblings.

A couple of days later my sisters and their husbands came to our place unannounced to apologize in person. We were were out to dinner and they left a note. One sister also called me at work too, I sent her to voicemail. We've decided being no contact is the best thing for the indefinite future and haven't interacted with them for the last 3+ weeks. Personally I'm done, they can go pound sand.

Update #3

quote:

September 12, 2023... Yet another update regarding the cluster f that is my extended family. Thought it might be time given what's gone on over the past two weeks.

After my sisters came to my place my mom and dad told me they were done with managing the vacation home. Sounded like the sisters had been pressuring them to let them use the place again. Basically my folks handed the responsibility for place over to me and told me it was my problem from here on out. Up until then they'd kept track of who would be using it when and they'd taken care of routine maintenance, replacing worn out items, etc.

In any case they decided they didn't want to be in the middle of all this crap. While I don't blame them I'm disappointed because the drat place was supposed to be something for them to enjoy and hang out in and they use it regularly. Plus I've never cared that they let my sisters and their families use it, because really I've always thought that was my parents' call even though I technically own it. But now my folks are going to be in the position of not having access without me being involved and that changes the whole dynamic of the place.

I've taken several steps to secure the place. I already mentioned that I locked the gate, it has a heavy duty chain and the best lock I could find. I also did a full reset on all the door keypads and created all new codes. Security cameras got installed yesterday, which is actually pretty cool because the installer convinced me to put a high res one that looks out over the valley. The system cost me way more than I thought it would but the peace of mind is worth it. The installer also put up signs on the property saying the place was monitored by video.

I also installed a heavy duty lockout for the water shutoff / drain valve. I hope to hell I don't lose the keys for it because if I do it's going to be a bear to try to remove. Haven't told anyone but my wife that the water is locked off and again, only we have the keys.

Last week I got separate calls at my office from both of the husbands trying to convince me to let them use the house "like they always have". The older one had gone up with some friends for a guy's hangout but couldn't get in because of the gate lock. He was pretty pissed and embarrassed about being locked out, I'm sure he would have broken the lock if he could have. During his call he kept bouncing between pushy and victimhood. At one point he threatened to "rip that gate outta the goddamn ground". He also admitted they'd been renting it out to "a few friends", that they needed the money, I was ruining their "business" and that I should refund their guests' money (Me?? F that). I should have recorded the conversation with him but I don't know how to do that from an office phone anyway. The other BIL just sounded like he was being made to call by my sister, he didn't really put up a fight when I told him not to plan on ever using the place again. In any case I told them they can't use the place and not to ask again.

At this point I'm considering selling the vacation home. Wife and I won't use it enough to justify keeping it and it's not like there's going to be any family get togethers there anytime soon. I mentioned selling it to my folks, their response was pretty much "whatever". I'd more than double my money by selling it, the place consists of three lots with killer views and is at the end of a private road. But I'll probably wait for a while to sell, doing so now would be an emotional decision.

My sisters and I aren't currently speaking and I have no plans to initiate contact. I don't know what the status between them and my folks is and I don't want to.

On the upside, we spent an evening with my folks last week, went to a new restaurant that was nice. No one brought up any of this crap. Mom did update us on the nieces and nephews, she's spending time with them at their homes.

Sorry this update isn't full of laughs or owns, that's just life sometimes.

Update #4

quote:

October 16, 2023. A couple of people have asked for an update, here you go.

I hired a guy to manage / look over the vacation home. He lives in the area, takes care of his folks and manages a good number of properties, some are vacation rentals, some are weekend places like ours. He has access to my camera feeds and does a physical check on the place every week or two. I think he may have the best job in the mountains, he gets paid to drive around with his dog, walk around the properties and hangs out on people's decks whenever he feels like it. He also has a camera feed from a house near the start of the private road that takes still shots whenever a vehicle goes past it. $450 per month plus he'll do basic maintenance and repairs on an hourly basis. He's friends with all of the sheriff's deputies too. Got a lot of peace of mind from doing this. And he sends photos from his walks to everyone once or twice a week.

I have to brag a bit on my parents (I got all this from them tonight at dinner). They were getting pressure from my sisters to demand that I open up the vacation house to everyone for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving up there had become quite the tradition for the family (not for me or my wife, we've gone once in seven years). My dad refused to bother me about it because he knew I'd say no. They came up with what I think is a great plan, announced that they were organizing the Thanksgiving gathering and - if everyone split the cost in advance - they'd rent an Airbnb in the mountains. Otherwise they'd host Thanksgiving at their place or one of the sisters could host it. This caused a fight between the sisters because the middle sister was all for doing the Airbnb but the oldest one doesn't have any money. The deadline to commit to the Airbnb has passed, looks like Thanksgiving will be at my parents' place. Regardless, we won't be there.

My parents have asked that we not sell the place for now, they decided they'd still like to use it occasionally but not until my sisters have come to terms with the new normal. And of course they'd probably like it if everyone could get together there again down the road, but that's just not going to happen. I'd just as soon sell it and move on at this point but I can live with keeping it if my folks do use it now and again. Plus it will be worth even more down the road.

Wife and I have stayed no contact with my sisters and their husbands. Both sisters have called from new numbers (F you Google Voice) and left messages insisting that I meet with them "for our parents' sake" to work out how everyone can use "the family vacation home". They called my wife too. I'm glad I was already in the habit of not answering calls if I don't recognize the number. I honestly don't know if they're delusional or if they think they can bully me into giving them access again. Don't really care.

My parents tell me that the oldest sister and her husband are getting out of the leases for their SUV and big rear end truck and are selling their jet skis and some other poo poo they've never needed. That's going to be really hard on her, she's quite the braggart and won't like being seen in something older / smaller / cheaper. My BIL's identity is very much wrapped up with his truck as well, he even has a small tattoo of the truck company's logo. Which frankly is one of the many reasons why he and I never hung out.

Several people have suggested I make the vacation home into an Airbnb. I don't plan to do so, at least anytime soon. I know it would make money but it would cause an incredible amount of drama across the family and would stress out my parents. They don't need that. It would also be a hassle to remove personal things my folks have there, that stuff has nowhere to go. And there would be wear and tear on the place. And I'm sure it would take some amount of time on my part even though I'd use a manager to do it. Just not worth it to me.

Update #5... Crap.

quote:

November 27, 2023... Wrote most of this yesterday but decided to wait to post it until I wasn't so wound up. Waiting didn't work, I'm still wound up. Sorry if this rambles, so much has happened, hard to write coherently.

Things have gone to hell. I really, truly did not think anything like this would happen.

Short version: My brothers in law broke into my vacation home and were arrested. They've been charged with breaking and entering, destruction of property and communicating threats, all Class 1 misdemeanors. I've refused to drop the charges. I might do so if I'm fully paid for the damage they caused. They were still in jail as of Saturday evening, I assume they're out by now.

Things had settled down, at least I thought so. Haven't seen or heard from my sisters in over six weeks. My parents went up to the house for a week and had a good time. David - the property manager I hired - has worked out great, he's done a couple of repairs I asked him to do and I've given him a list that he's going to work on. He usually sends a photo or two of wildlife or a sunset to his clients every week, was kind of making me want to get up there.

Friday after Thanksgiving my BILs went to my vacation home. They used an angle grinder to cut through the chain on the driveway gate and damaged the gate in the process. They tried to get in through the front door, ruined the lockset and gouged the door badly. They finally got in through the utility floor door and a locked internal door. They also broke into the barn, I'm not sure why. When they went out through the front door where they were met by sheriff's deputies and David. David gets notifications from the camera system when there's activity, he saw what was going on and called the sheriff's department.

According to David the BILs tried to bullshit their way out of it but the deputies didn't buy it. Breaking into an empty house is a pretty serious thing up there, usually it's meth heads who ransack the place and hock everything. When the BILs were arrested they freaked out big time, were saying how they were going to beat the hell out of me, etc... Not smart to do in front of cops.

David and the sheriff's office tried calling my wife and me to see what we wanted to do but we were spending the day with her parents and had left our phones in the car so we could be in vacation mode. So they booked the BILs on everything, which is what I would have asked them to do anyway.

BIL's called their wives from jail who of course freaked out; they called my folks, tried to call me (they're blocked), tried to find a lawyer up there to arrange bail (not easy to do given that it's a rural area and was a holiday weekend). Older sister has zero cash and her cards are maxxed out so if they made bail my middle sister would have had to pay for both husbands. I know they were still in jail as of Saturday afternoon.

We didn't check our phones until late Friday on the way home from the in laws. There were a ton of calls and messages from my mom, dad, David and the sheriff's department. Talk about ruining a great day, I was in such a good mood til I looked at my phone. My wife read through the texts and listened the messages, read them out to me and by the time we got home I had some idea of what was going on. I put my brain back into thinking mode, tried to get past my anger, failed. Called David and got the rundown on what had happened and how bad the damage was, resulting in more anger.

I ended Friday by calling the sheriff's department and telling them there was no misunderstanding, the BILs had absolutely no right to be on my property and I wanted to press charges. I didn't call my folks back. Barely slept.

I waited until Saturday afternoon to call my folks. They were both pretty rattled about it all, my mom in particular. My sisters had browbeat them into telling me I should tell the cops it was all a mistake and that I wanted the charges dropped. I refused flat out, told them there was no way I'd do that until I spoke with an attorney and also not until I was paid in full for whatever it will cost to fix everything 100%. My mom was crying hard by the time we got off the phone which of course made me feel like poo poo. My dad suggested it was time for a complete start over but also said he thought they needed to pay for the damage.

I haven't gone up to the property yet. There's nothing I can do and I'll probably go nuts when I see the damage in person, the photos are bad enough. I'm hoping to tomorrow or Wednesday but my job isn't one I can just wander off from for non-emergencies.

I've left messages with two attorney friends asking them to recommend the right lawyer(s) to go after my sisters and BILs. I don't know what I can do exactly but I'm hoping to get restraining orders (I have all the texts they've sent me, that might help). I'm strongly considering suing them for the money they made renting the place, I don't care about the cash but it will help make them as miserable as possible. The gloves are definitely off at this point.

A couple of side notes:

BILs had no idea I'd hired someone to keep an eye on things or that there are cameras there now. My parents knew but hadn't told them because they knew it would just give my sisters a reason to drama up. There are signs on the property stating it's being monitored with cameras and no trespassing signs though.

My wife has completely had it at this point. I don't blame her, she's been more than patient about it all but she reached her limit and was not shy about letting me know. She told me its up to me how I deal with this but that she thought they all needed to be taught a hard lesson.

Older BIL likely won't face any repercussions at his job over this but middle BIL has a security clearance so he might. I'm hoping that will be motivation for middle BIL to pay for the damages himself immediately.

David (the caretaker) has an interesting background. I knew he was friends with some of the deputies, figured it was because they were all locals. I was wrong, he was a cop in a big city for years, was shot on duty and afterwards decided to quit and move to where his parents had retired. He has some PTSD over it all, his dog is a certified service animal and is usually with him. I know law enforcement people tend to hang together, I guess that's how they became his friend group.

I don't want to see or speak with these Aholes for the rest of my life. I know this is in direct conflict with my overwhelming urge to make their lives as miserable as possible.

Update #6

quote:

Thursday afternoon I got a courier-delivered envelope at my office. In it was a signed letter from both my brothers-in-law and a cashier's check for $5000. In the letter they made what I have to say was a really sincere apology. Among other things they acknowledged breaking in, acknowledged it was wrong, said the $5000 was to pay for the damage and that they'd pay more if it cost more than that. Also said they'd stay away from the vacation home unless my wife and I specifically invited them. They also asked that I do what could to get the charges dropped as soon as possible because they both could lose their jobs and that they'd agree to a restraining order or whatever else it took for that to happen. There was more as well, all conciliatory, but that's the gist of it.

To say this was a shock is an understatement. It was (obviously) a total 180 from their past behavior.

I'd already made an appointment with an attorney to see about suing my BILs over the damage and to try to get a restraining order. I called him and told him what I'd just received and he agreed to meet with me at the end of the day instead of next week. Told me not to deposit the check.

We met for about two hours. He ended up recommending the wife and I do a "settlement and mutual release agreement" with all four of them (sisters and BILs). He said if we went after them via a lawsuit that we'd almost certainly win but that it could take two years or more, there would be sizeable up front legal fees and that we might never see any money. He also said we could keep the $5000 free and clear even if we didn't let them off the hook. He's drawing up the agreement, it won't be ready until Monday. The agreement will include what's essentially the civil equivalent of a restraining order.

I'd already asked my property manager to work up a bid to get the damage repaired. I called him after the meeting and asked that he get me as close an estimate as possible ASAP. Got that Friday, he thinks it will take around $4000 to fix everything. Most of that is for the front door.

On Friday my attorney contacted each of the BILs, told them what we were proposing and advised them to get their own lawyers. They both agreed to it. The middle BIL told him they could afford to either pay for the damages or pay for a lawyer but not both and they figured a lawyer wouldn't make any difference given that they really had no defense for what they did. His biggest concern was if the charges could be dropped. From what I can tell they're willing to do anything / sign anything to make this all go away.

My attorney also called the DA's office on Friday to discuss dismissing the charges, got the name of the prosecutor and left them a message but has not spoken to them yet. He thinks they'll dismiss the charges because the BILs are paying up and they have no priors, but then again he's not a criminal lawyer. Also said I should be prepared to drive up there Monday or Tuesday and tell the prosecutor in person that I want everything dismissed.

He's also advised me to continue to be no contact with sisters and BILs especially for the next six months and that it will be really important to follow the terms of the agreement when it comes to future interactions with them.

I'm guessing that the BILs change of heart is due to them having figured out what's at stake for them, what it's going to cost them in legal fees and fines and so on. There's also the (highly unlikely) possibility that they could go to jail for up to 120 days, and as I've mentioned one of them has a security clearance for his job that could be at risk. So this is their Hail Mary pass to keep their normal lives.

This isn't a perfect resolution to the situation, but at least it will get me past the legal and financial parts of the poo poo show that I've been in for the past few months. I doubt I'll ever have a civil relationship with any of them ever again and that's fine. What I want most at this point is to close this off, get on with my life and never speak to any of them again. I'm exhausted from this. Wife feels pretty much the same way.

Kind of a side issue but getting the written apology was, weirdly, a huge moment for me. I wasn't expecting that ever but apparently it matters to me quite a bit. The money doesn't feel particularly important at this moment. I'll drat sure take it though.

Also I'm pretty certain my middle sister and her husband came up with the money. The cashier's check is from the credit union of the company he works for.

Once things are signed I plan to make one more update, probably just an edit to this post.

I'm sorry for being so pedantic. Writing these posts has helped clear my head and the feedback has really helped. I truly appreciate everyone's comments, insights, and support. And I really, really hope none of you ever have to go this kind of nonsense.

quote:

Tuesday morning I met with my attorney went over the agreement. Changed a couple of minor things and he sent it to my sisters and brothers-in-law. It included a requirement that they pay my attorney's fee (about $3000). They weren't happy about that and tried to negotiate it away, but he told them they either accept it as is or there would be no deal at all and we'd proceed with suing them for the money they got from renting out the place, wear and tear from renting it, repair costs from their break in, emotional distress, lost income from having to deal with this, attorney fees and whatever else we could. He also told them I would push hard with the DA's office to prosecute every charge.

Short version, they came in and signed. I wasn't there. I'm told it was a pretty tense environment, that the middle BIL appeared to have taken charge and that at one point he told both of my sisters to shut the hell up or he was walking away from the whole thing, making his own deal with us and the rest of them could all go to hell. They provided another cashier's check for $2500, claimed that's all they had. It's close enough that we're going to accept it as the final payment.

Attorney also told me that everyone was very cold and curt towards one another, but that they all managed to keep it together long enough to sign and left without making too big of a scene.

I drove up to the vacation house early yesterday to check out the damage and meet with the DA's office. Seeing the damage made my blood boil, it was so senseless. I was so pissed that I was ready to eat the cost of repairs and do everything I could to ruin their lives. Tried walking it off, failed utterly. Ended up calling a good friend who was kind enough to stay on the phone for over an hour letting me spew and vent. He eventually got me back to focusing on the bigger picture of putting this behind me and getting on with my life. Honestly I'm still not sure that's what I want to do but I settled down enough to get some food in me and I felt better.

After lunch I went he DA's office. Hadn't made an appointment and had to wait a while but got to meet with the assistant DA who's got the case. Short version is that since I don't want to prosecute and the BILs have already paid for the damages that they are willing to drop all the charges except trespassing, which in this case will be a class 2 misdemeanor. The BILs will have to plead guilty and pay whatever fine the judge sets. I'm also told that if they fight the trespassing charge or ever so much as fart in public up there that it would go very poorly for them. It helped that the BILs didn't resist arrest, if they had none of the charges would have been dropped.

I also went by the sheriff's office to thank them for getting there so quickly and everything. Wanted to thank the deputies personally but only spoke to the dispatch person. And I tried to meet up with David (the property manager) but couldn't get hold of him.

A couple of notes: The agreement includes a no contact clause. Basically if any of them show up where my wife or I are (or the other way around) whoever got there last has to leave immediately. No contact except through attorneys or other "mutually agreed upon third parties". They get to keep whatever they made from renting the vacation house (my big "give") unless I have tax consequences which they will be responsible for. And we release each other from all other liabilities up through the present. There's more to it than that but those are the high points.

Wife and I will sign the agreement later today. After that I can't talk about most of this but I can talk around it.

I think this is my final update regarding all this nonsense but I'll respond to comments if I can. As I've said before, posting about all of this and reading folks thoughts and responses has been really helpful and has probably been key in my being able to handle this in a relatively healthy way. So thank you all again.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 18, 2024

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

UPDATE: AITA for jumping out of the way when my niece and nephew tried to push me into a pool, resulting in them falling in?

Update #3

Update #4

Update #5... Crap.

Update #6

That sure is a story!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:eyepop:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol that's wild as gently caress

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FWIW, 5,121 total words at a 9.0 Flech-Kincaid grade level.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (29F) friend (26M) is upset at me for "discriminating" against men I don't find hot in the club.

quote:

We have been friends for eight years. We went out clubbing Monday night, with one other guy and one other girl. I brought them to my favorite place, and we got drinks and started dancing with each other. I had a few different guys come up and try to dance with me and I rejected a few before I was approached by one I found hot and decided to dance with him. The same thing happened a couple more times and I went home with the third man I danced with other than my friends.

I saw my friend again yesterday at his place, and he asked me "Why did you say no to dancing with so many guys, yet you danced with a few of them?"

I told him "I was just waiting for a hot one."

He replied "So if a guy isn't hot you won't even give him the honor of dancing with you?"

I said "I can be picky about who I dance with if I want to be."

Then he asked me "Do you discriminate based on looks in your work as a doctor?"

I said "Absolutely not!"

He said "Somehow I doubt it. You seem shallow and I doubt you leave that in the club."

I asked him "Are you upset with me?"

He said yes, and I immediately got up and left. I'm starting to feel afraid of him because of his attitude. Do I talk to him about it? Or is he beyond help at this point? I'm not sure if I should just avoid him for my own safety.

TL;DR! - He got mad at me for only dancing with hot guys and now I'm afraid of him.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

My (29F) friend (26M) is upset at me for "discriminating" against men I don't find hot in the club.

quote:

I should just avoid him for my own safety.

Ding ding ding.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
May I have the honor of dancing with you, my lady?

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
AITA for accidentally getting my brother kicked our of the house?

quote:

I (17M) recently discovered that my brother (16M) has been secretly bullying our stepbrother (14M) and because of this led to my brother getting kicked out of the house. This happened last last wednesday/ thursday. Tomorrow will make it a week since I've seen my brother.

When my siblings and I were home alone I overheard my brother telling our stepbrother that he needed to die while in their room. This caught me off guard and I soon saw my stepbrother leaving their room in tears. I immediately grabbed my stepbrother and brought him back to their room demanding an explanation from my brother. When I confronted my brother I told him to apologize but he refused and not only stood by what he said and also told me that I could die along with our stepbrother and that he's tired of his stepbrother being here and he needs to leave already. This left me deeply upset and confused. I left the room with my step brother and decided to wait til our parents got home

When our parents got home, I told them what had happened. They were livid. They demanded to know what happened and confronted my stepbrother and brother together and to my shock my stepbrother tearfully revealed ALL of the things my brother had did and said to him. This made me even more upset because I never knew what was happening and felt like I failed them as a brother.

I never intended for my brother to get kicked out, but because of the situation our parents decided to send him away to live with our grandparents, who are located about 1.5 hours away. On Thursday our parents made my brother pack his things to be prepared to live with our grandparents. When my brother was packing his things he was crying and refused to talk to either of us and even refused to apologize to his stepbrother.

When our grandparents came my brother finally spoke and told our mom that it was nice to see that he's replaceable to her and that his life would've been so much better if dad was alive instead of her. This made our mom cry so hard. Harder than I've ever seen her cry before. She tried to apologize and hug my brother but he pushed her away and told her to leave him alone and she made her wish.

I started crying too. I tried calling my brother multiple times but he blocked me. When I call my Grandparents he refuses to talk to me and my mom. My step brother has been crying blaming himself for what happened and I've been comforting him telling him it wasn't his fault. I never thought my mom and step dad would kick my brother out of the house I just thought they would maybe punish him or something. I feel so horrible and I keep crying.

ETA:Two days ago, my mom asked me while crying if she did the right thing by kicking my brother out of the house and I told her no and that I don't think she did. This made her cry worse and my step dad said I had no right to tell her that and now my my mom is barely speaking to me now. I don't know what to do. My best friend told me that I was responsible for what happened and my girlfriend told me that what I did was in the right place and I went about it the wrong way. She said what I said to my mom was insensitive as she was only trying to do her best.

(Couldn't add that in because it went over the word count)

TL;DR: Discovered brother bullying stepbrother, exposed it to parents, leading to my brother getting kicked out of the house. Now I have a strained relationship with my mom, and have people telling me I was the cause of what happened.

AITA?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OOF

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
So many issues, this ain’t getting unpacked in a reddit thread (or elsewhere)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Clearly he was thinking ahead for when he accidentally called his wife by the mistress's name in bed. "Oh no I was just thinking about our daughter."

That uh does not seem an improvement :gonk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mx. posted:

The way he said this being scary doesn't quite come across but if that's the feeling she got from him she should absolutely trust her instincts and not hang out with him anymore, cause yeah him getting upset and possibly aggressive over her standards which should have nothing to do with him is no bueno

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

feedmegin posted:

That uh does not seem an improvement :gonk:

I didn't say it was a smart plan.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They make a combined $210k which, assuming about 75% take home, is like $13k/month.

That seems a pretty high take home unless they happen to work somewhere without a state income tax.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Eshettar posted:

AITA for accidentally getting my brother kicked our of the house?

yikesaroo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Update #3

Update #4

Update #5... Crap.

Update #6

Lmao

I'm so curious about what the original story was. It can't be as good as the updates, though...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Space Kablooey posted:

Lmao

I'm so curious about what the original story was. It can't be as good as the updates, though...

I loved the detail that apparently the brother-in-law faceplanted while yelling at him lmao

lmao x2

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Space Kablooey posted:

Lmao

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/15zqti5/aita_for_jumping_out_of_the_way_when_my_niece_and/

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

the side not on the bottom of the original is great

quote:

Side note: Dad, of course, never got out of the whirlpool.

dad is so done with their bullshit it's incredible

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Imagine the conversation when they were trying to coax him out of the whirlpool to get dressed and drive the stupid brother in law to the hospital

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dad's played by Rob Reiner

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quote:

One fun note on why OOP's post was removed from AITA:

"According to the message I just read from the other sub's moderator the violence was "Property damage". I still don't get it. The phones being ruined I guess? Ridiculous."

Never change, Reddit mods

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Might come down to how operative “temporarily” is there. If he was downsized recently and is actively looking for work, she should cut him some slack and understand that’s a stressful and time consuming process. If he got fired for being useless or getting caught harassing someone on hotel CCTV on a business trip and is taking advantage of the time to lie around while the wife supports the household, I wouldn’t fault her for getting snippy about his help.

I calmed explained its temporary (it's permanent)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Update 2 (missing from your post) is where the sliminess and entitlement of the sisters and BILs really shines though:

Update #2

quote:

Update to the update (August 26, 2023, a week after the update):

Well, it's been an interesting last few days. I thought the poo poo had hit the fan before but it was more of a fart compared to what's happened this week.

For this to make sense I need to provide some financial context. My folks haven't ever been any good at saving money (I've been doing their taxes for years so I know pretty much everything about them moneywise). Their house is paid for and they have minimal debt but they didn't save much for retirement. Both of them get Social Security, dad gets a solid pension and they have a bit of savings but there's no treasure chest in the basement. I bought their current car for them after they retired a retirement present so they could have something nice to drive; it was the first car in probably 20 years they didn't lease. My sisters are convinced the folks are dripping with money and that our parents will be leaving the two of them everything since I don't need more money, so they've never cared about saving either.

Turns out my oldest sister and her husband (they have three kids) have been living beyond their means for some time and are in financial straits. They've maxxed out their credit cards and are behind on their car leases to the point that one is about to get repossessed. He'd bragged in the past about making X per year but it turns out to be about half that. She confessed all this to mom on Tuesday because they need a loan and because (and this was a WTF moment for mom and dad) that for the last three years instead of staying at the vacation house regularly she's actually been renting it out once a month or so and pocketing the cash - we're talking $2000+ for a weekend and at least $4000 for a week. With her being cut off from using the place she's had to cancel one group already. She's now worried they'll lose everything. My folks aren't in any position to give them a loan.

My other sister was aware of her renting out the place but of course hasn't ever said anything. I suspect she's done the same thing as well because I went up there once to drop off an ATV I'd had worked on and there was a family there who claimed to be staying there with my sister / her family and that they'd "gone to town for something". At the time I let it go - I figured she'd loaned out the house to some friends. But I've always wondered.

I found all this out through my folks who are pretty stressed out about it, mom more than dad, he's mainly just pissed off about it all. I know dad feels betrayed. And I imagine he's embarrassed that he's in no position to help his daughter out. He did reiterate that as long as it's up to him the girls won't be using the vacation home anytime soon.

My folks let me know what's going on because they figured my sisters would put a full court press on me next. And they were right. On Thursday my sisters came to our place again (without husbands this time) and waited outside the door until I got home. I had to choose between fighting with them in public, them making a scene if I went in without them or letting them in so I let them in. I got a bullshit story from the older sister with the younger one backing her up regarding why I needed to let them use the mountain place again immediately. They also said I've been a lovely brother and that I needed to "step up" and plan on paying for their kids' college tuitions since "that's what family does". I let them pitch their story then called them out based on what my folks had told me. Things went to poo poo from there. There was denial, crying, cursing, yelling, you name it. I swear my ears are still ringing two days later. Won't lie - I said some really mean and lovely things to them but nothing that wasn't true. They finally left after about an hour.

After that I took a shower and laid down. When I got up my wife was home and her first words were that she'd had to block more phone numbers because my sisters were blowing up our phones from new ones. Folks messaged me yesterday asking me to call. I'm sure my sisters have told them some bullshit version of what happened but I'm not up to rehashing it yet.

I'm usually a pretty energetic person but this drama has me beaten down. I had just enough energy today to drive up to the vacation house and padlock the entrance gate shut. I'm the only one with a key. I'm guessing that will be enough to ensure my siblings leave the place alone, they'd probably die trying to walk 400 yards uphill to get to the house.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what a trainwreck of a family lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao "because I do their taxes" and it all comes into focus

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mx. posted:

quote:

Then he asked me "Do you discriminate based on looks in your work as a doctor?"

I said "Absolutely not!"

He said "Somehow I doubt it. You seem shallow and I doubt you leave that in the club."

:psyduck:

"Patient prepped, let's do this"
*glances at patient's face* "Whoof, uggo spotted! Somebody else get this appendix, I'm out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The load bearing sibling has developed a spine