Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

are we winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
*registers clinking with russian money in the background*

xi: Z who?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fart simpson posted:

are we winning?
yeah sure.

lets see:
- nato bigger than EVER before! swedens, finns! everyone wants to join! big EPIC win for america
- russia is running out of shells, and planes! soon they will have nothing left, big win coming!!
- more and more tanks are coming to the aid every day! europe is united!
- NAFO conference 2024 is happening next week in latvia! vatnik propaganda cant shut it down
- we killed some chick with a car bomb deep inside enemy territory! huge win, putler is increasingly vulnerable
- more and more conscripts are filling the rosters thus the counteroffensive 2.0 is being rebuilt to WIN this time. it cannot fail, it can only be failed

big winning energy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

yeah sure.

lets see:
- nato bigger than EVER before! swedens, finns! everyone wants to join! big EPIC win for america
- russia is running out of shells, and planes! soon they will have nothing left, big win coming!!
- more and more tanks are coming to the aid every day! europe is united!
- NAFO conference 2024 is happening next week in latvia! vatnik propaganda cant shut it down
- we killed some chick with a car bomb deep inside enemy territory! huge win, putler is increasingly vulnerable
- more and more conscripts are filling the rosters thus the counteroffensive 2.0 is being rebuilt to WIN this time. it cannot fail, it can only be failed

big winning energy

You forgot "F-16s!" which are of course superior to any cast iron scrap jet crudly hammered together by barely sentient Russians who know neither toilets nor street signs.

edit - you know if everyone had bought F-16s instead of those boat anchors they call an F-35 "The West" might be in a better position today, given the total reliance on air power. But alas we know what happened there.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Jan 18, 2024

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-17/war-in-ukraine-drains-nearly-half-of-accessible-russian-reserves

War in Ukraine Drains Nearly Half of Russia’s Liquid Assets

quote:

Russia’s government has tapped almost half of the national wealth fund’s available reserves to shield the economy against the fallout from its almost two-year war in Ukraine, leaving it vulnerable to future shocks.

The National Wellbeing Fund’s holdings of cash and investments that can be easily liquidated slumped to 5 trillion rubles ($56.5 billion) at the end of last year from 8.9 trillion rubles before the war, while total holdings fell almost 12% to 12 trillion rubles, Finance Ministry data showed. The value of the fund’s stakes in Russian companies and in bonds that were issued to finance infrastructure projects has surged by more than 2 trillion rubles, according to Bloomberg calculations.

“The total size of the NWF seems quite irrelevant now that a big chunk of it has been invested in Russian shares and infrastructure – essentially illiquid investments,” said Tatiana Orlova, economist at Oxford Economics. “Only liquid investments can be considered as rainy day reserves, the rest is gone.”

The wealth fund, which has taken years to build up its assets, is set to come under further pressure as Russia’s economy continues to be buffeted by sanctions that were imposed by Western nations in response to President Vladimir Putin’s February 2022 invasion of Ukraine. The Finance Ministry tapped around 3 trillion rubles from the fund to cover the budget deficit last year as it ramped up spending on the military and measures to cushion the economy. It plans to take another 1.3 trillion rubles this year.

In addition, budget rules provide for NWF funds to be paid over to the Finance Ministry to compensate it for a loss of export revenue should its earnings from oil sales undershoot the budget estimate of $60 a barrel.

“If the situation regarding energy prices is completely negative, we will use the National Wellbeing Fund,” Finance Minister Anton Siluanov told reporters last month. “But if we see that it decreases, then we will take other budget balancing measures. It’s clear that we are not interested in nullifying the National Wellbeing Fund and sitting without a penny in reserve.”

Such measures could include the partial privatization of state companies or increasing local borrowing.

The average price of Urals, Russia’s main crude-export blend, dropped more than 17% last year to $62.99 a barrel, according to the Finance Ministry. Bloomberg Economics projects that NWF will continue to be depleted this year unless the price exceeds about $73.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Russia is losing dollars and euros, but I'm guessing their position in yuan is growing lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Considering that Russia barely had a deficit last year, and is selling most of its oil just under spot prices for Brent, it isn’t really a major issue. At the end of the day, the National Wealth Fund exists as a rainy day fund mostly to support pensions and budget deficits but could be refilled by the Central Bank if it ever got too critical.

The D&D used to go crazy over it because they thought it was all the reserves that Russia had, they probably still do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(Rapidly types several zeroes into an excel spreadsheet cell)

As you can see our Western economiy is booming, furthermore

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It honestly makes sense for the Russians to invest in infrastructure than simply having the money sitting around at a certain point especially since they have other sources of liquidity.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I as a superior big brained Westerner only understand how to inflate tech stock pyramid schemes to swindle venture capital out of spreadsheet money. I don't quite get this concept of "infrastructure" or "physical production". It's all just make spreadsheet go up.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
using your National Wellbeing Fund to fund national wellbeing???? that's a sign of a collapsing state (unlike collapsing infrastructure)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VoCommunism/status/1747646935429677554

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:slick:

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Snyder particles going off the charts

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Dang just counting people in Auschwitz as victims of communism is a ballsy move. How long until Stalin did the holocaust?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Weka posted:

Stalin did the holocaust

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Weka posted:

Dang just counting people in Auschwitz as victims of communism is a ballsy move. How long until Stalin did the holocaust?

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw in the next few years a New York Times op ed saying Stalin was responsible for the holocaust somehow.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I think I would be fairly overcome with despair.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Slavvy posted:

Good news! Modern technology means the officers are telling the conscripts what to do via tablet, always safely away from danger

I wish I were joking

Frontline -- Fascist blocking brigades -- Commanding officer

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Organic robots to clean up the Chernobyl disaster.

Organic robots to march forward into Russian artillery, drones and minefields.

Sensing a theme here.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reminder they also count the perpetrators of the holocaust as victims of communism as well lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

comedyblissoption posted:

reminder they also count the perpetrators of the holocaust as victims of communism as well lol

are they wrong?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

I don't blame you for not watching the video, but it says

quote:

Wanda Wos Lorenc was captured in August 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising, a Polish resistance attempt to liberate Poland from Nazi Germany.

Stalin deliberately stopped his troops short of Warsaw and refused to help the uprising. Hitler's forces then eliminated the Polish resistance.

Wanda was imprisoned at Flossenbürg and Ravensbrück concentration camps. She was 16 years old.

so we're already there: because Stalin purposefully let the Warsaw Uprising get put down (a claim we had previously discussed last October), then he is also responsible for everyone who got killed in the concentration camps afterwards

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're on the losing side of history, does it matter if you re-write the history books you own?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw in the next few years a New York Times op ed saying Stalin was responsible for the holocaust somehow.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I think I would be fairly overcome with despair.

it's already a mainstream talking point, blaming molotov-ribbentrop for everything bad the nazis did because they allied with the ussr you see

didn't even need a nyt oped

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

history is written by the victors, and boy howdy there's a lot of nazi-apologia and double-genocide history that's been written

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

so we're already there: because Stalin purposefully let the Warsaw Uprising get put down (a claim we had previously discussed last October), then he is also responsible for everyone who got killed in the concentration camps afterwards

I did watch the video, without noticing the source. I was pleasantly surprised at how it was mostly about nazis being bad then got a jump groan (like a jump scare) from that bit at the end about Stalin and instantly guessed VoC.
The level of guilt being claimed here is rather tenuous though, we may aswell blame Stalin for not destroying America or at least the libs of western Europe. I think in most of our lifetimes there will be a more direct sort of guilt being allocated to the USSR, almost complete revisionism. Stalin personally pulled the Zyklon B lever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best part about re-writing history is its a process that never has to stop. You re-write history, they re-write history, someone else does it again in another 50 years. It never has to stop!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the soviet army was at its logistical limit and needed to regroup and reorganize to campaign. especially so with Warsaw and where it is located in relationship to the rivers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They get pink packaging.

It also costs more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the soviet army was at its logistical limit and needed to regroup and reorganize to campaign. especially so with Warsaw and where it is located in relationship to the rivers.

Yep. Also they got sledgehammered by panzers just outside Warsaw.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bedpan posted:

https://bigserge.substack.com/p/mechanized-stalinism

This guy gets into this in detail. Author here is a right wing anticommunist but still refutes the idea that the red army purposefully stalled in Poland.

quote:

Taken by surprise from multiple directions, Rokossovsky’s army would lose some 550 of its 800 armored vehicles in the ensuing firestorm, forcing him to withdraw to refit.

[...]

It is not an exaggeration to say that Model’s actions both saved the Eastern Front from a premature collapse and doomed Warsaw to destruction. With Soviet momentum at last dissipated and Rokossovsky’s front working to consolidate its positions, Model was free to turn his attention to Warsaw itself, where the Polish Home Army had launched an uprising in anticipation of immanent German defeat. They, like Rokossovsky, did not know that Model had multiple armored divisions slated for immanent arrival, and were thus bitterly disappointed when their efforts to liberate the city internally collapsed alongside the Soviet offensive. The German response was genuinely horrifying, with the Warsaw garrison destroying fully 85% of the city’s buildings in the following two months.

The fact that the Germans were able to almost completely destroy one of Europe’s major cities while Red Army forces were stationed only a few miles away has led to one of the enduring tropes of the war: that the Soviets deliberately sat by idly, allowing the Germans to wipe out independent Polish resistance (thus saving the NKVD the trouble of having to do the job). While there is some element of truth here - the Red Army did not attempt to intervene as the Germans brutally put down the Polish resistance - their crime seems to have been simply a matter of choosing military prudence over humanitarian sympathies. The Red Army had, in the space of about six weeks, advanced some 450 miles, and then suffered a defeat in which their spearhead tank army lost nearly 75% of its vehicles. After Model’s victory - and the phenomenal dimensions of the Soviet advance - it is not particularly clear what the Red Army might have done to intervene, sitting as they were at the far end of their logistics after weeks of hard fighting.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 12:50 on Jan 18, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yep. Also they got sledgehammered by panzers just outside Warsaw.

Which kept happening. Every time the Soviets did an offensive right at the end of their logistical reach the Germans would mass and counterattack and give them a bloody nose. That if anything, is an argument for the Soviets trying to go *too fast* rather than too slow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t DDay in like 1944

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The soviets exhausted themselves getting to poland and basically lost an entire tank army to a massive counterattack, and this was weaponized during the cold war and beyond as them "letting" the germans bulldoze warsaw.

However, this is nothing to be upset about - history is written by the victors, and the Communists have only themselves to blame for losing the cold war.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Ukrainska Pravda

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/01/18/7437787/

Ukraine's Defence Minister unexpectedly cancels his visit to France, citing "security considerations"
EUROPEAN PRAVDA, UKRAINSKA PRAVDA — THURSDAY, 18 JANUARY 2024, 11:18

Ukraine’s Defence Minister Rustem Umierov has cancelled his trip to France at the last moment, citing "security considerations," and will participate in the planned events online.

Source:

Le Monde, citing the French Defence Ministry’s official statement, available to the editorial staff.

Details:

The statement that reached the media in the evening mentions that Umierov cancelled the scheduled trip on 18 January "due to security considerations" and will join the events with his French counterpart, Sébastien Lecornu, via video conferencing.

During Umierov's visit, an "artillery coalition" was expected to be announced within the Ramstein-format meeting, involving 20 states led by France and the USA.

Lecornu and Umierov had planned to visit one of the facilities of arms maker Nexter in Bourges, where self-propelled howitzers including the CAESAR are produced, as well as the MBDA missile factory. The detailed program of the visit was published for the media on 15 January.

Background:

As is known, Ukraine received 18 self-propelled artillery units Caesar from France, and Paris has already been able to partially replenish its artillery systems stock – thanks to the arrival of previously ordered howitzers.

The creation of the artillery coalition and its launch were announced in December, with the implementation set for January.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/01/18/7437798/

Assistant Secretary General: NATO is fully capable of defending itself against Russia
UKRAINSKA PRAVDA, EUROPEAN PRAVDA — THURSDAY, 18 JANUARY 2024, 12:09

NATO Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs and Security Policy Boris Ruge has assured the public that the Alliance is sufficiently powerful today to defend itself against Russian aggression.

Source:

European Pravda, citing Boris Ruge in an interview with LRT

Details:

Ruge noted that since 2014, when Russia first invaded Ukraine and occupied Crimea, NATO's main task has been to enhance deterrence and defence.

"So, over the past ten years, we've been working on better deterring Russia and, if necessary, defending against any kind of Russian aggression," said the NATO Assistant Secretary-General.

He added that Russia is currently considered the number one threat to the Alliance, and that NATO has a comprehensive set of military plans for deterrence and defence.

Ruge emphasised that NATO takes the support of allies on the eastern flank and protection against any possible aggression very seriously. "Ultimately, NATO, soon to have 32 members, is a very powerful alliance. We have very strong economies and cutting-edge technologies. We are fully capable of defending ourselves against Russian aggression," Ruge said.

Background:

On 15 January, the Bild publication reported that it gained access to a secret Bundeswehr document – a training scenario that step by step describes how a military conflict between Russia and NATO could unfold. The scenario outlines the actions of Russia and the West month by month, culminating in the deployment of hundreds of thousands of NATO soldiers and the inevitable onset of war in the summer of 2025.

Jānis Sārts, Director of the NATO Center of Excellence for Strategic Communications, said that the story by the German tabloid Bild, which says NATO is preparing for war with Russia, is based on a training scenario document.

The Office of the President of Lithuania and the Ministry of National Defence of the country, against the backdrop of Bild's publication, stated that they are not changing their assessment of the threats in the region.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/01/18/7437812/

France to produce 78 Caesar howitzers for Ukraine in one year
EUROPEAN PRAVDA, UKRAINSKA PRAVDA — THURSDAY, 18 JANUARY 2024, 12:44

France can produce 78 Caesar self-propelled howitzers for Ukraine by early 2025.

Source:

European Pravda; French Defence Minister Sébastien Lecornu in an interview with France Inter

Details:

Lecornu noted that in the coming weeks, Paris will supply six Caesar howitzers to Kyiv, with plans for the delivery of another 72 by early 2025. In total, around 78 howitzers are expected to be produced over the course of just over a year.

"Currently, there are 49 of them [Caesar howitzers – ed.] in Ukraine, which has led to tactical success. Our initiative aims to produce 78 Caesar howitzers in 2024, and we encourage Europeans and other allies to co-finance the effort," Lecornu said in an interview with Le Parisien.

Lecornu noted that Ukraine bought the six howitzers at its own expense. The creation of a French and American-led artillery coalition, aimed at strengthening Kyiv’s capabilities, is to be announced in Paris on Thursday.

Ukraine's Defence Minister Rustem Umierov was scheduled to visit the French capital, but his trip was cancelled for security reasons. He will join the planned events online.

Lecornu added that the Caesar long-range self-propelled howitzer, the flagship of French artillery pieces, costs between €3-4 million, a price he believes is "acceptable" to Paris' allies.

Lecornu also said that the delivery of about 40 additional SCALP cruise missiles to Ukraine, promised by President Emmanuel Macron, will begin soon and will take a year, according to a schedule he did not elaborate upon.

Macron had previously announced that he would visit Ukraine in February to finalise a bilateral agreement on "security guarantees".

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Kyiv Post

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/26769

OPINION: Food for Thought
By Andriy Kurkov
January 18, 2024, 10:42 am

Over the past two years, Ukraine and Russia have become the main buyers of drones on the world market, and they will soon become the largest manufacturers of drones too. Produced for battle, these essential tools will have a short life, and production must be on a huge scale.

By the end of 2023, Ukraine was producing 50,000 drones per month. Russia produces about 300,000. Recently, Zelensky promised that Ukraine would produce 1 million drones per year.

A year ago, only seven drone production companies existed in Ukraine. Now there are 70. How many will there be in a year? Secrecy around the subject makes it hard to gather facts and figures, but Ukraine is gradually transferring its economy to a war footing.

The last two years have revealed a great deal of talent and goodwill inside Ukraine, and it has been matched by more of both from abroad, as our Japanese hero proves.

Ingenuity has become the middle name of most people in the country, but I can’t help worrying about how much of that Olivier salad reached somebody’s festive table before it went bad.

Could they have used drones to get to the front line more quickly?

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

fizziester posted:

Source: Kyiv Post

https://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/26769

OPINION: Food for Thought
By Andriy Kurkov
January 18, 2024, 10:42 am

A year ago, only seven drone production companies existed in Ukraine. Now there are 70. How many will there be in a year? Secrecy around the subject makes it hard to gather facts and figures, but Ukraine is gradually transferring its economy to a war footing.

[stepan universe] 2 years after the war started, Ukraine is gradually transferring its economy to a war footing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We're sending your new artillery pieces.

Great thanks, it'll really help. So uh, how much ammo do we get with these?

(click)