Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

mods are asleep, post small yusuke

i really feel like mitsuru and akihiko should switch outfits here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

So theoretically Metis would get Violet's outfit right.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Arist posted:

Feel like Aigis and Mitsuru should have outfits changed since Haru and Mitsuru have so many parallels including both being Empress Arcana.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gods the phantom thief outfits are so based on and clearly designed for those specific characters that having them as DLC costumes seems weird in a way that the Gekkokan and Yasogami high uniforms didn't.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I never wear those costumes in persona games anyway tbh

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Junpei so tall, no wonder Chidori got the hots for him

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Do not post small Yusuke

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Didn't the P3 fanbook state that Nyx is an alien who crashed into earth a billion years ago, the moon is their physical body or whatever, and shadows are all Nyx fragments? As are plumes of dusk?
Then P4 and P5 hurriedly went back to "actually it's all humanity and metaphysics, not aliens"

I don't mind party members getting new Personas based on your S-Link, but it would be cool if, idk, they hung out with someone else and got a skill that way. I agree it'd be cool if it wasn't only your pasty white dude advice that makes them better people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah nyx was an alien according to the databook and that got backpedaled on pretty hard

the p2 games had some more of that hard lovecraft influence and p3 inherited a little of that and then p4 and p5 excised it completely outside of a couple of demons

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lunar Suite posted:

Didn't the P3 fanbook state that Nyx is an alien who crashed into earth a billion years ago, the moon is their physical body or whatever, and shadows are all Nyx fragments? As are plumes of dusk?
Then P4 and P5 hurriedly went back to "actually it's all humanity and metaphysics, not aliens"

I don't mind party members getting new Personas based on your S-Link, but it would be cool if, idk, they hung out with someone else and got a skill that way. I agree it'd be cool if it wasn't only your pasty white dude advice that makes them better people.
Might be neat if their main Persona was determined by the plot like in P3, and then they got a separate Persona from hanging out with you that was either something they could switch between at will like the MCs Personas or more like a subclass, like how Personas in PQ worked.

Also, hear me out here, what if The Answer wasn't going to be DLC, and instead they handed it off to Omega Force to remake it in the Strikers engine? Might need a bit of fleshing out to reach the level where it's worth a full price purchase, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think Ren Amamiya, japanese high school student, is white

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
P3 has more than a few nods to NGE and Nyx is just Lilith

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

i really feel like mitsuru and akihiko should switch outfits here

It's because Akihiko and Shinjiro's Personas are twins, so they're setting up the light/dark parallels with the Akechi costumes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nyx is one of those things that cannot help but get dumber the more concretely they try to explain it and hopefully they've figured that out and will just stick at the level of: nyx is the embodiment of death and we are not taking further questions about it at this time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nyx could have been totally fine if they had just stuck with that base idea but any layer of added complication like the stuff about her being the mother of all Shadows or the weird alien poo poo does nothing for the story.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Lunar Suite posted:

Not exactly. The not so quoted parts of the Persona Club P3 book include stuff like a 4th wall Ikutsuki explaining Shadows in P4 terms by using Natsuki as an example and how she heard her Shadow talking to her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unclouded posted:

Feel like Aigis and Mitsuru should have outfits changed since Haru and Mitsuru have so many parallels including both being Empress Arcana.

Yes but Aigis has a ton of big guns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm reading a translation of the pages of the fanbook relevant to Nyx and man, this poo poo sucks, it is some hot nonsense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like a lot of that kind of stuff it is genuinely not worth worrying about unless it is brought up directly in show/game. Like seriously it's entirely irrelevant, much in the same way the whole backstory for Evangelion isn't really relevant.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also it seems to be debatable whether any of that is even canon since I think it directly contradicts some stuff from other games and has literally never been brought up anywhere except in that book

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think it comes down to the fact that P3's cosmology and the way it handles personas was just not my vibe and kinda took something psychological and spiritual and turned it into far more of a sci-fi/superhero kind of world. For me P4 ended up being a huge improvement in that manner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it was the opposite for me. I liked that P3 felt like it focused more on mystical beliefs and feeling while P4 very too structured and organized. P3 being "The inherent wish of humanity to die calls down an avatar of Death" just works better for me than "Izanami was feeling like a jerk today."

P3 has this fun air of "A bunch of scientists start trying to mess with mystical stuff and all end up dead, insane, creating atrocities or all of the above and none of them actually seem to grasp what they've done."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Izanami is the worst villain the mainline games have had, and by a good margin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it was the opposite for me. I liked that P3 felt like it focused more on mystical beliefs and feeling while P4 very too structured and organized. P3 being "The inherent wish of humanity to die calls down an avatar of Death" just works better for me than "Izanami was feeling like a jerk today."

P3 has this fun air of "A bunch of scientists start trying to mess with mystical stuff and all end up dead, insane, creating atrocities or all of the above and none of them actually seem to grasp what they've done."

Agreed. I think P4/P5 could have been more interesting, but (for the most part) they didn't really do anything interesting with the psychological stuff.

Amusingly, I think Yousuke's deal in P4 is one of the most interesting things involving a P4/P5 party member, though it doesn't factor into the story much. The basic idea that part of him wanted this stuff (the murder mystery + persona stuff) to happen and the guilt he feels about that in light of what happened to Saki was actually pretty compelling. Shame that he's also the living vector for 90% of the game's terrible humor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No way. Izanami isn't even really the villain, she's just the final representation of theme. If you're counting her you also have to count Yaldabaoth, who is just a retread of Izanami.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Maruki stuff in Royal is the most interesting the series has gotten in terms of theme and plot in awhile. Judging personally and from the amount of conversation it generates vs. Yaldy's plot or Izanami's nonsense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

No way. Izanami isn't even really the villain, she's just the final representation of theme. If you're counting her you also have to count Yaldabaoth, who is just a retread of Izanami.

Yaldabaoth is way better because he was a present force for the entire game even if you didn't realize it. Also just a cooler fight. Royal's villain is better but Yaldabaoth is Izanami done right because the secret is focused around a character you wouldn't expect (and a clever excuse for sounding different to boot).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Yaldabaoth is way better because he was a present force for the entire game even if you didn't realize it.

By this logic, the Delta twist in Zero Time Dilemma is both earned and effective. Hell, by that logic Ikutsuki is a good villain.

I'm not going to give the game credit for having the villain just be around, doing nothing of importance and dropping no hints about their true identities until like two hours before the reveal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

By this logic, the Delta twist in Zero Time Dilemma is both earned and effective. Hell, by that logic Ikutsuki is a good villain.

I'm not going to give the game credit for having the villain just be around, doing nothing of importance and dropping no hints about their true identities until like two hours before the reveal.

There are actually a fair number of hints if you look for them, it is just that you're not going to be looking for them because the game puts you in the position of trusting your preconceived ideas. It's one of the better bits of writing in P5 because it becomes really clear on a replay but your first time through you're just expecting the same ol'.

Edit:
Just off the top of my head:

He refers to it as "my Velvet Room" instead of "The Velvet Room." He actively gives the protagonist the App whereas Igor is usually more passive. His speech is pepped with mocking or insulting phrases whereas classic Igor was exceedingly polite. If you lie down on the bed in the Velvet Room you hear a mysterious voice whispering to you. Lots of stuff like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 18, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

The Maruki stuff in Royal is the most interesting the series has gotten in terms of theme and plot in awhile. Judging personally and from the amount of conversation it generates vs. Yaldy's plot or Izanami's nonsense.

That's true, but I don't think the game is great about presenting what's going on there. The narrative focuses on this question of "free will and the value of your painful experiences," but Maruki isn't actually representative of the opposing philosophy there. Instead he's just dealing with immense feelings of "sunk cost" brought on by his power making his fiance forget about him. "Since I lost so much, this has to be worth it" - that kind of thing. He's not actually altering reality in a way that makes life better for everyone. If he was, then the core philosophical conflict would have more weight, but it feels like it's mixing up the philosophical stuff with Maruki's own personal trauma.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Playing P4 for the first time, got to July so far, and I already detest about a third of my S-Links.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What's wrong with sports bros

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Playing P4 for the first time, got to July so far, and I already detest about a third of my S-Links.

Going backwards from P5R play-wise is definitely gonna make some of the mechanics and writing in P4G look dated.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
At least P4 and I guess P3 follow a coherent plot outline that wasn't clearly rewritten from scratch half way through development, they have that going for them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And then do a half assed job of matching the new storyline to the anime cutscenes that were made to fit the old storyline

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's wrong with sports bros

One of them is more interesting than the other, which is a deep sin.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the note of bad S.Links, I got to the point where I have to hang out with the Gourmet King in FES and oh my god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Both the sports links are boring. It was a neat idea I guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am very curious if they change that at all in Reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the sport stuff are very fun. I too sometimes dont try as hard at things I do because Im afraid of the hurt I will feel when I fail. :(

Persona 5's social links are all boring as hell