Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What is this dayworking of which you speak? Some newfangled method, I suppose?

(Just kidding, I just haven’t worked on a boat that was allowed to use the UMS system since my cadet days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
US fleet is moving to LNG so UMS probably goes away for awhile. Pasha and Matson are having nightmare issues, not sure how Tote is doing. Whatever I'm running for a union position this year.

MSC is offering 3rds 190k coming out of school. I have to poo poo on everyone and explain no, thats a loving 20% pay cut from pay from the 90k for 6 months we were getting when I graduated because they want 10 months of the year and inflation has increased by 60% over that time. Add in the way we were treated during COVID and I'm ready to make enemies. gently caress this industry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lightpole posted:

US fleet is moving to LNG so UMS probably goes away for awhile. Pasha and Matson are having nightmare issues, not sure how Tote is doing. Whatever I'm running for a union position this year.

MSC is offering 3rds 190k coming out of school. I have to poo poo on everyone and explain no, thats a loving 20% pay cut from pay from the 90k for 6 months we were getting when I graduated because they want 10 months of the year and inflation has increased by 60% over that time. Add in the way we were treated during COVID and I'm ready to make enemies. gently caress this industry.

I’m thinking about mobilizing again. My old ship is still doing its thing. Felt like I got kind of cheated by Covid loving everything up.
Looking forward to those MSC breakfasts again.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yes. When I think of Crab Dad the first word that comes to mind is "cheated".

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Cheated out of flirting with the local Napoli wives maybe...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
crab dad's finally going to get a warfare pin and make chief.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

crab dad's finally going to get a warfare pin and make chief.

He should have his IW pin at least and he might have been able to get his SW pin on the last mob

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He’s got his bartending pin with V device.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

He should have his IW pin at least and he might have been able to get his SW pin on the last mob

We went from 30 sailors to 5 halfway through my Covid mob with none of them having the SW pin.

One of the reasons I want to mob is to complete that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M_Gargantua posted:

Cheated out of flirting with the local Napoli wives maybe...

He is a devoted family man though, so those poor Napoli wives are left with nothing but the scent of his mustache, and blue ovaries.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

We went from 30 sailors to 5 halfway through my Covid mob with none of them having the SW pin.

One of the reasons I want to mob is to complete that.

I had a nightmare about deploying last night.

You're a sicko

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://x.com/centcom/status/1746705110401695779?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

I'm glad to know the anti-missile defense systems work.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

OPAONI posted:

I'm glad to know the anti-missile defense systems work.

quote:

The missile was shot down in vicinity of the coast of Hudaydah by U.S. fighter aircraft.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If a fighter shoots down a missile then it's a missile defense.
:goonsay:

I'm sure someone's got an alignment chart that will explain it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Fighter aircraft being the first layer of air defense has been a thing since WWII, and never stopped being a thing. It's only in recent decades when US ships have been attacked when the vessels weren't on combat footing that gave the impression that fighters wouldn't be a factor. It's a lot harder to attack a warship when it's expecting a fight than when it thinks it's safe.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Doctrine Purist - A missile defense must destroy the missile
Doctrine Neutral - A missile defense must prevent the missile from being combat effective
Doctrine Radical - A missile defense must interact with the missile

Structure Purist - A missile defense is performed by the target or group
Structure Neutral - A missile defense must be something in theater
Structure Radical - A missile defense must interact with the missile anywhere in its lifecycle

Therefore: Neutral/Radical - A "smoking accident" is a missile defense

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Radical/Radical - The attacker is a missile defense

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Slashrat posted:

Radical/Radical - The attacker is a missile defense

Offensive Air Diefense.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The missile knows what a missile defence system is because it know it no longer is. By knowing what interface with its existence before it was no longer in existence, the now non existent missile can deduce the existence of an anti missile system aimed at ending the missile’s existence.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Anybody know what the Georgia's skipper did other than "lost faith in his command" by the big Navy?

https://www.stripes.com/branches/na...xbPfABeEtiLYfBQ

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flyinglemur posted:

Anybody know what the Georgia's skipper did other than "lost faith in his command" by the big Navy?

In my experience, any time you hear "personal and professional conduct" it usually has to do with adultery or sexual harassment.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

RUMINT on Reddit was that it was a DUI.

Or this.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 17, 2024

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Flyinglemur posted:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Man, it must be really embarrassing to get restricted to what used to be your own boat with extra duty for two months.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Normally the reason for a firing is not cleared for public release and anybody that does have information should keep it to themselves.

In unrelated news, public records show that someone named Geoffry Wayne Patterson was arrested by the Camden County sheriff a little after midnight on January 9 and charged with a DUI.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

Man, it must be really embarrassing to get restricted to what used to be your own boat with extra duty for two months.

The Georgia has a proud history of doing poo poo that brings shame on the entire Navy

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Normally the reason for a firing is not cleared for public release and anybody that does have information should keep it to themselves.

Only for nobles.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

orange juche posted:

"God is the Greatest
Death to America
Death to Israel
A Curse Upon the Jews
Victory to Islam"

Thats their platform.

Wait you are guys really pretending to be on this poo poo? You can’t think of why the Houthis would be particularly sensitive to the issue of genocide and enforced famine?

Frankly this is a bunch of racist Islamophobic bullshit, and you should be embarrassed.

loving skim a Wikipedia article about Yemen or something, goddamn.

They said explicitly they’re attempting to enforce international law and that they will stop shipping until sufficient aid is let into Gaza or there is a ceasefire.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/15/cargo-ship-near-yemen-reportedly-hit-by-missile-as-fears-grow-conflict-could-spread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wait you are guys really pretending to be on this poo poo? You can’t think of why the Houthis would be particularly sensitive to the issue of genocide and enforced famine?

Frankly this is a bunch of racist Islamophobic bullshit, and you should be embarrassed.

They said explicitly they’re attempting to enforce international law and that they will stop shipping until sufficient aid is let into Gaza or there is a ceasefire.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/15/cargo-ship-near-yemen-reportedly-hit-by-missile-as-fears-grow-conflict-could-spread

No thanks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

True or false, the houthis practice slavery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

:ok:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Honestly, I’m really disappointed in you guys. I guess I expected better.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m really not trying to be argumentative. I’m genuinely sad to see pretty much the only decent veteran related online forum buy into and recycle the same anti-Arab and anti-Muslim “they’re savages who hate our freedom” talking points from 2001 all over. I joined the military when I was young thinking we would prevent the next holocaust, not run interference for the state doing it. I keep thinking we’re better than this and I keep being wrong.

If you want to be smug edgelords, it’s your soul I guess. I hope you guys come to your senses. Especially if you’re still in and in a position of being asked to comprise moral responsibility you think on these things hard and seriously. You have an obligation to humanity.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 18, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m really not trying to be argumentative.

And yet the whole rest of your post.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Arguing in support of random attacks on civilian shipping while simultaneously calling everyone else an edgelord is certainly something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

True or false, the houthis practice slavery.

But we practice market driven capitalism.
So really it’s basically the same.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Thread frequented by people who have previously or currently do work on the sea and who hadn't just heard of Ansar Allah 4 months ago are not stoked about missiles being fired at random people on the sea or particulary trusting of the relationship between actions and stated objectives of Ansar Allah.

The world wonders.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, it would be one thing if it was just us current or former Navy folks but having active merchant mariners post itt does make one wonder why we'd all be against targeting shipping

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

US navy has been loving up pirates for many years now. If you gently caress with civilian shipping, you're gonna get hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
P.s., you can disapprove of the policies of the government of Israel and still disapprove of indiscriminate violence towards random civilians, in the same way you can disapprove of the policies of the government of the United States and still disapprove of the Oklahoma City bombing.