Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

DynamicSloth posted:

I never sensed anything more than performative antagonism between them, they certainly shared senior staff freely.

She'd be a total moron to run in the next election though.

I thought the “best” part about notely was having to be “tough” on bcc’s NDP government to keep the hooting chuds of Alberta happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I use one of those online only grocery places. The produce lasts a lot longer. Tiny bit more expensive and I can't go there for garbage bags and the like but suits my needs fine.

Presumably the whole operation should have little to no food waste.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 17, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ZShakespeare posted:

I thought the “best” part about notely was having to be “tough” on bcc’s NDP government to keep the hooting chuds of Alberta happy.

Yeah, a losing gamble because those fucksticks didn't vote NDP in the first place

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Costco is the way to go for most things. Sales prices at Zehirs were better than Costco, and the 50% meats were always a winner, but if those aren't there I don't think Joe Fresh black hoodies are enough to keep me coming back.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Aces High posted:

Yeah, a losing gamble because those fucksticks didn't vote NDP in the first place

I refuse too understand the liberal brain rot that makes them try to appeal to a group that did not and will never support them.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Once you get used to Costco prices it's almost physically painful if you're forced to buy cheese at a different store. That and Kirkland allergy meds easily cover the membership cost alone.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

We used to have a Costco rep come to my work once a year with a trunk full snacks and they’d just hang around all day in the lunchroom trying to get people to sign up for memberships. They haven’t come back since Covid though. Always tempted, but never bought a membership because I live in a small apartment, don’t even know where I’d put a chest freezer.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

My only problem with Costco is I can’t get variety of things I need. Like the lower fat Oikos, or things that are sugar-free or salt reduced. It’s great if you don’t have to modify your diet but if you do it loving sucks.

I usually just get meat and cheese and the odd thing once in a while. Being able to buy meat and bread and such in bulk and freeze it is so handy it’s worth it.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

ZShakespeare posted:

Let’s organize a boycott of food

Good plan! Start with boycotting the animal products. Buying beans and lentils will gently caress with their bottom line!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

My dude I gently caress with chickpeas too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Rice pilaf made with brunoise'd carrot/celery/onion, and finished with a can or two of beans is where it's at

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I will say, I haven't willingly shopped at a Weston store in a long time. That is because I have a car, and in Ottawa at least, there are two smaller independent grocery stores I go to frequently to get my stuff that are wildly cheap (Produce Depot and Greenfresh for those wanting to know).

Ah, I am very close to Green Fresh. Weren't they the ones selling illegally imported prescription antibiotics off the shelf? Given that and a few other incidents of stocking expired goods and such I don't really trust them at all.
We get our 'specialty' asian imports from Win Tai.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently males between 18 and 35 overwhelmingly support PP.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
According to whom?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

large hands posted:

Once you get used to Costco prices it's almost physically painful if you're forced to buy cheese at a different store. That and Kirkland allergy meds easily cover the membership cost alone.

Hearing aid batteries, for me. They're less than half the price buying at, say, SDM for the same count, and they're good quality, long lasting.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

McGavin posted:

Shocker, the dumbest group of the populace support the dumbest candidate.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

McGavin posted:

Can't believe people who can't afford to buy a home aren't flocking to Landlord Singh and his "government should pay people's mortgages" policies

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

According to whom?

Some polisci hack on CBC radio discussing what JT can do to turn things around. It was in the context of "the Cons claim that young people support PP, but it's only men who do. Women of all ages detest PP."

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
well according to the three old grandmas i saw beside at kfc pp is a canadian trump and they hate him so

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

McGavin posted:

Some polisci hack on CBC radio discussing what JT can do to turn things around. It was in the context of "the Cons claim that young people support PP, but it's only men who do. Women of all ages detest PP."

huh. It's a narrative his campaign for leadership was pushing ages ago, but IIRC the data to support it was always questionable, for a variety of reasons.

Any time someone repeats it I just assume it's the same campaign team pushing the message.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, I have a feeling that it's a campaign team hoping that if they push the message enough, people will believe it.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Can't believe people who can't afford to buy a home aren't flocking to Landlord Singh and his "government should pay people's mortgages" policies
Almost all of the people I know who support PP are doing so, not because of the economy or housing prices, but because the country is "too woke". A lot of them are struggling financially but they blame their problems on cancel culture and "wokeness". When I ask them how that impacted their financial situation, they can never explain and they end up saying something like "getting rid of Trudeau and his woke brigade will bring things back to normal."

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 18, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i wonder if skippy will start talking about replacing our monopoly money with crypto again

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Almost all of the people I know who support PP are doing so, not because of the economy or housing prices, but because the country is "too woke". A lot of them are struggling financially but they blame their problems on cancel culture and "wokeness". When I ask them how that impacted their financial situation, they can never explain and they end up saying something like "getting rid of Trudeau and his woke brigade will bring things back to normal."

Ontario Strong, Canada Proud, and other right-wing grassroots efforts have been UNBELIEVABLY successful in the last 6 years or whatever. Even Tiktok is getting overrun with racists now.

Media literacy is at an all time low, and people are loving IDIOTS. Myself included.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I want to like Costco, but I live in a l*xury c*ndo, so storage is at a premium especially freezer space.

Group buy a refrigerated semi trailer for the building. Be a real dirt bag, and park it on the street permanently.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Slotducks posted:

Ontario Strong, Canada Proud, and other right-wing grassroots efforts have been UNBELIEVABLY successful in the last 6 years or whatever. Even Tiktok is getting overrun with racists now.

Media literacy is at an all time low, and people are loving IDIOTS. Myself included.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This phenomenon is legitimate, and for my money its scarier when its going the other way, for things they don't like. Take hating Trudeau. While that's an eminently defensible position, oh goodness, they cannot defend it.

Ask "why do you hate him," and out comes a stream of incoherent nonsense, utterly divorced from reality, if not directly contrary to reality. A few years back it was always pointing to Trudeau shutting down the oil fields and the Transmountain expansion. Amazing! I dislike Trudeau because he spent billions of dollars buying that failed project to try to keep it going.

These days its about Trudeau is some totalitarian who brutalized the convoy goers. Meanwhile, as a resident of the capital, I got to watch him do nothing for a month and a half while fools with no understanding of how our society is organized shut down the city I live in, our federal capital, with the express purpose of overthrowing our (crummy) democratically elected federal government - because they were upset about [I seriously still can't believe this is true] provincial public health mandates.

Or they just say Wokenss, but they can't describe what it is or why it's bad.

Or because he has abandoned Israel. You know, despite his support for Israel remaining unwavering notwithstanding the ongoing catastrophe befalling Gazan residents. At best, they'll point to him tepidly endorsing the idea of a temporary pause in bombing.

These exchanges cause me genuine despair. Canadians are very, very angry and upset about things that are imaginary. And pointing out what actually happened, with credible resources at hand, just makes them angrier and distrustful of reliable sources of actual information. And me, because I make them upset by not knowing whatever it is their church friends say when they make these non-reality based declarations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don't think it's fair to blame JT for the convoy occupation in Ottawa. Like the first month of that was waiting for the OPP/Ottawa police to get their own asses in gear and only then did it become a federal problem. It was only because so many other people shirked their own duties that it became something he had anything to do with (in terms of sorting it out).

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 18, 2024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Thatcher once said: "Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides." and surely Justin Trudeau is the living, breathing proof of it.

He seems so fake, most of all, because he's constantly trying to play both sides and satisfy everyone, while only making things worse, and now there's three people left in the country who actually like him on any level.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Fake poo poo masquerading as legitimate news orgs probably doesn't help as well.

Got another sketchy YouTube promoted ad in the app today claiming to be from the CBC with the logo and everything. Clicking on the advertiser info though said "This Advertiser has not Verified their Identity" but based on the advertiser name and location I'm assuming the CBC isn't run by "Marsha Reeves" in India.

Been seeing more and more fake CBC poo poo especially. Sometimes it's random weird poo poo like this but usually it's AI Generated Trudeau or Crypto/Elon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nobody gives a poo poo about content moderation or brand safety, so it's pretty much a free for all. You can report it and the individual account may get shut down, but odds are they have another 20 going concurrently because the cost is very close to nil.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Internet hygiene and pruning your social media feeds is going to be an essential skill we should be teaching people from primary school onwards.
Clearly nobody is prepared for this crap. It breeds hatred and discontent, often targeting the wrong solutions and root causes to very serious societal problems.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

I don't think it's fair to blame JT for the convoy occupation in Ottawa. Like the first month of that was waiting for the OPP/Ottawa police to get their own asses in gear and only then did it become a federal problem. It was only because so many other people shirked their own duties that it became something he had anything to do with (in terms of sorting it out).

Yeah, it's this. Believe it or not it's not under the Prime Minister's immediate jurisdiction or responsibility to police a city. There's many fair criticisms of Trudeau but he only involved a federal response with the convoy after it was clear municipal and provincial authorities weren't doing poo poo about it, and like it or not that is the appropriate way to go about it. It's one of the big reasons his use of the Emergency Measures Act was found to be fair play.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Fake poo poo masquerading as legitimate news orgs probably doesn't help as well.

Got another sketchy YouTube promoted ad in the app today claiming to be from the CBC with the logo and everything. Clicking on the advertiser info though said "This Advertiser has not Verified their Identity" but based on the advertiser name and location I'm assuming the CBC isn't run by "Marsha Reeves" in India.

Been seeing more and more fake CBC poo poo especially. Sometimes it's random weird poo poo like this but usually it's AI Generated Trudeau or Crypto/Elon.

And there's huge astroturfing going on some of the bigger Canada subs. Someone r/onguardforthee compared active times:
https://www.reddit.com/r/onguardforthee/comments/197hyck/comparing_best_times_to_post_across_some_of_the/

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Maneck posted:

These days its about Trudeau is some totalitarian who brutalized the convoy goers. Meanwhile, as a resident of the capital, I got to watch him do nothing for a month and a half while fools with no understanding of how our society is organized shut down the city I live in, our federal capital, with the express purpose of overthrowing our (crummy) democratically elected federal government - because they were upset about [I seriously still can't believe this is true] provincial public health mandates.

wasn't it also because of border-crossing policies that were in place from the United States? I mean, you'd think they'd want to do something for trying to overthrow Biden as well...oh wait, that failed and people are facing consequences (perhaps not fast enough, but at least it's starting to happen)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The internet is largely dead.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

Its very alive. And stupid.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

inshallah

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

No I mean it. There are some areas of its rotting carcass where life still exists, but I largely subscribe to dead internet theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Internet_theory

e: and to be clear I don't think it's ~~government conspiracy~~ or whatever, rather the natural (read: capitalist) outcome of every online interaction being commodified and monetized

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's why I paid :10bux: to post on the Something Awful dot com forums

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

That's why I paid :10bux: to post on the Something Awful dot com forums

$10 for 20 years of shitposting. I sure got my moneys worth out of it.

e:

ZShakespeare posted:

No I mean it. There are some areas of its rotting carcass where life still exists, but I largely subscribe to dead internet theory.

e: and to be clear I don't think it's ~~government conspiracy~~ or whatever, rather the natural (read: capitalist) outcome of every online interaction being commodified and monetized

Oh I didnt know this had a name. I dont think we are there yet as I am not getting AI generated images of a hulked out PP riding an F150 painted like a Canadian flag spammed at me.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah but the Atlantic thinks its not real.. so...