Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1747776970199363917?t=5TigR8ENC3RMReQETpNcKA&s=19

That looks healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Incredible contrast between hand and face

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nasty friction burns from bad golf club grip?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Midjack posted:

Mount Char owns pretty hard.

The Shadow series was okay but I dropped it after the author had one of the young adult military geniuses talking about how great it was to go into battle with her husband's jizz running down her thighs. Like what the gently caress, Orson.

I uhhh...missed that detail or book when i was reading the bean books jesus christ

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I enjoy the Bobiverse books on audible, but I wish they had a directors cut that removed all the Deltan plot.

Also the books after Altered Carbon went weird. The show was way more enjoyable.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

nullscan posted:

Also the books after Altered Carbon went weird. The show was way more enjoyable.

and yet they are still amazing pieces of Pro Transgender Science Fiction (even if the author is a transphobic piece of poo poo)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Pakistan hit them back hard

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1747733137000472579
https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1747805708823724058

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Why are there so many small wars popping up right now??

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Quackles posted:

Cold War II, Electric Boogaloo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quackles posted:

God is playing Twilight Struggle, and Brush War keep being reshuffled into the deck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Quackles posted:

They're almost all connected to Iran in some way. Their most recent strikes in Syria, Iraq, and Pakistan have ostensibly been retaliation for the funeral bombing a few weeks back (among some other smaller attacks on police checkpoints and government buildings), but they're also facing prolonged domestic strife as well as a lack of a clear heir to Khameini that's probably forcing them to try to save face. It's also not entirely clear that they even control their own proxy forces anymore - their strategy is typically to try and isolate adversaries (Israel, Saudi Arabia, the US, the Kurds). The Houthis attacking shipping in the Red Sea has done the opposite of that: it's generated a multi-national effort to contain the problem while also keeping Russia and China on the sidelines.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Quackles posted:

If Pakistan and Iran escalate to outright war, even if no nukes are used, I would not consider that a small war by any measure.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm sure India wouldn't take advantage of this distraction at all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I certainly didn't have Iran-Pakistan on the divining board

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I certainly didn't have Iran-Pakistan on the divining board

You know who did? Max Brooks!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Tythas posted:

and yet they are still amazing pieces of Pro Transgender Science Fiction (even if the author is a transphobic piece of poo poo)

Well drat. I hate hearing that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Quackles posted:

Russia’s busy, Israel / IP is a shitshow and America’s got domestic political stability issues.

If you’re a second tier nation looking to play your hand on the world stage, this is the best time since WWII.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I was just thinking that.

At least the Iranians don’t have nukes that we know of yet :tinfoil:.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

US Berder Patrol posted:

Can't be topped for dark, gritty interpretation of the western genre

I can't recommend it enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Been going through all of Banks’s Culture novels as an older adult and drat could he write, especially at the end.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

That is possibly one of the greatest audiobooks I’ve ever listened to.

That movie was an abortion not even Brad Pitt could save.

But the book (Read it in Iraq the first time) and the awesome audiobook of World War Z were great.

Kind of Sci-fi, right?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The extended full cast audiobook was amazing. The chopped down version was a crime

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Tythas posted:

the concept is, but the transphobia right there in the text in Altered Carbon is overt enough that it stood out to me, a cis male, the first time I read the book ten or so years ago

the Vorkosigan books have (what seems to me like) some good trans representation, and they're very fun reads

nullscan posted:

the show missed the point so bad

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stravag posted:

The extended full cast audiobook was amazing. The chopped down version was a crime

I have the extremely long one, with everything. I didn’t know there was another one, I went and looked and you’re right, there is a cut down version, and a really cut down version that is what is missing from the cut down version.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was just thinking that.

At least the Iranians don’t have nukes that we know of yet :tinfoil:.

His reasoning was pretty sound, if I recall. It involved border instability and the two nations just assuming that their interests were somewhat aligned so they didn't have an effective de-escalation mechanism in place, so poo poo got rapidly out of hand before anyone understood what was happening

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Aw, man... thread title is correct, this year loving sucks already.
Peter Schickele, musical parodist behind ‘P.D.Q. Bach,’ dies at 88

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Madurai posted:

Aw, man... thread title is correct, this year loving sucks already.
Peter Schickele, musical parodist behind ‘P.D.Q. Bach,’ dies at 88
His Shickele Mix show on PRI, back in the heyday of public radio, was fantastic. Just a nerd talking about (mostly) classical music that he loves.

This prompted me to see if there's archives, and apparently someone turned them into a podcast for a while: https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/schickele-mix-if-it-sounds-good-it-is-good/2368995

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Are positive that isn’t ketchup? I’m only half joking

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Are positive that isn’t ketchup? I’m only half joking

Some other pictures of it that I've seen make it look like it's whatever the gently caress cream he smears on his face to achieve the inhuman skin tone he has. Like the bottle leaked on his hand or something.

Still pretty OK with the idea of his brain rotting to untreated syphilis but I don't think this is it unfortunately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DJT is a fountain pen nerd now.

That’s Noodler’s Ink #19031, “Widow Maker”.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1748119324206760406?t=cJGVHGVpnjh0GDtMWREDKg&s=19

Can Diamond Joe just call in Seal Team Six so we can get this over with?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1748119324206760406?t=cJGVHGVpnjh0GDtMWREDKg&s=19

Republicans complaining about people being disenfranchised is some serious loving lmao hypocritical bullshit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ironic echo of “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Trump gives these dingbats permission to be their most awful versions of themselves, and they love him for it. To them, nothing else matters as much as that does, not even poo poo that actually affects their own quality of life. It's loving weird and awful.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Eyes Have It posted:

Trump gives these dingbats permission to be their most awful versions of themselves, and they love him for it. To them, nothing else matters as much as that does, not even poo poo that actually affects their own quality of life. It's loving weird and awful.

spite is the most powerful human motivation

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm just amazed that he continues to get by with it when things like that are said or published and that it's not a concern or worry, but a threat and guarantee.

"We're not suggesting burning this poo poo down. We're promising it."

Amending my previous post:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can Diamond Joe just call in Seal Team Six The Clap just do its thing so we can get this over with?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1748039835342762244

I can’t believe that Joe R. Biden poisoned him with dioxin.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I don`t know about the AFB commander that got fired but, looks like the sub commander that got fired a few days ago was due to a DUI. I would have thought enlisted guys would be the DUI factory. I guess it`s officers, as well.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2024-01-18/uss-georgia-submarine-captain-fired-dui-12717074.html

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bad judgement? In my officers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shaddak posted:

I don`t know about the AFB commander that got fired but, looks like the sub commander that got fired a few days ago was due to a DUI. I would have thought enlisted guys would be the DUI factory. I guess it`s officers, as well.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2024-01-18/uss-georgia-submarine-captain-fired-dui-12717074.html

That’s a pretty classist take, the nobles are just better at avoiding consequences.

(Also I suspect if you adjust for age / number the proportion is similar)