Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finished "Beef". It was extremely good although I didn't much care for the huge outburst of violence in the penultimate episode that seemed way out of tone.

Not surprised Ali Wong and Steven Yeun won Emmys for it. Also I learned that Kingo was nominated in the same category for something called "Welcome to Chippendales"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rageaholic posted:

Saw Night Swim earlier and it sucked. Shouldn't a movie about a haunted swimming pool be fun to watch?

I feel like the entire concept of "haunted swimming pool" was covered by the end of It Follows and we really don't need anything else on the subject for awhile.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, not sure about this season of True Detective. Feels like it's trying too hard? What with all the seemingly overt supernatural (or superscientific, we'll see) elements right off the bat, and that research base with the flickering lights and spooOooky figure running in the background. Plus the crime itself seems too "big" and sensational. Also, uh, is Jodie Foster's daughter just a straight up pedophile? Because apparently the actress is in her late 20s and she was loving a 1516 year old, although maybe she's supposed to be playing a lot younger than she is.

Also lol at using that overplayed song for the intro.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

priznat posted:

Was sad that Trooper Witt died, especially how Dot said "He had 6 sisters, that's probably why he was so nice" and my heart just broke.

It's sad but fits the themes. He shouldn't have been there, he was out of his depth but went in because he thought he owed a debt to Dot even though Dot many times insisted he didn't owe her anything.

Mordja posted:

. Also, uh, is Jodie Foster's daughter just a straight up pedophile? Because apparently the actress is in her late 20s and she was loving a 1516 year old, although maybe she's supposed to be playing a lot younger than she is.[/spoiler]

Yyeeaaahhh I was pretty :dogstare: at that whole bit waiting for them to mention her age. The young officer says he used to baby sit her so she's meant to be young, but they don't say her age so she could be 17 which isn't so bad or she could be 20. It's a very weird bit of background plot to dump on the audience in the first episode

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 18, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mega Comrade posted:

It's sad but fits the themes. He shouldn't have been there, he was out of his depth but went in because he thought he owed a debt to Dot even though Dot many times insisted he didn't owe her anything.

Yah definitely. I was wondering if Lars would show up in the finale somehow but kind of glad he didn't, just a miserable little turd but not one who is on the kind of monstrous level as Roy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Hmmm, not sure about this season of True Detective. Feels like it's trying too hard? What with all the seemingly overt supernatural (or superscientific, we'll see) elements right off the bat, and that research base with the flickering lights and spooOooky figure running in the background. Plus the crime itself seems too "big" and sensational. Also, uh, is Jodie Foster's daughter just a straight up pedophile? Because apparently the actress is in her late 20s and she was loving a 1516 year old, although maybe she's supposed to be playing a lot younger than she is.

Also lol at using that overplayed song for the intro.

After a few days to mull on it, I thought it loving sucked.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

he's never gonna appear on my podcast :(

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Does he really need more cash at this point

Like lol if so but if not I wanna say to all of these people that you're allowed to just Stop and shut the gently caress up at some point y'know? Probably a moot point since he seems like an Attention Elemental but nevertheless

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

does he need more cash? no

even if you had all his money would you turn down a check if all it took was (having your assistant) type up a tweet?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i thought his chud daughter ran his twitter account

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i thought his chud daughter ran his twitter account

It's an often-repeated theory but every time it's brought up, nobody can provide a shred of evidence. I'm sure he does have assistants writing at least a few of them though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't there an interview last year with someone who actually knew Shatner personally, but said his twitter account kept acting like they didn't know who he was, thus proving it was not Shatner himself running the account?

Edit: It was Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCN9Toi-Ck

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 18, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no way some old boomer gently caress is running a twitter account, come on

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shatner isn't a boomer, he's too old for that

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

But I thought Mike ran the RLM Twitter account?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Mike is like 200 years old in human years

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

you broke my grill posted:

does he need more cash? no

even if you had all his money would you turn down a check if all it took was (having your assistant) type up a tweet?

Maybe if the part of my brain that can feel shame/embarrassment didn't exist/was surgically destroyed

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

After a few days to mull on it, I thought it loving sucked.

I'll keep watching it lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

He directed Fitzcaraldo (etc) so I'm going to pretend that's my reason for posting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FS9JKeEZss

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MrCamW/status/1747884799367500225?t=Vv6Y03PpZkhmH7lYMMhjVA&s=19

So wait, the HBO Max version of Wayne's World has the original theatrical audio mix with the Stairway to Heaven notes? I've only ever seen the home release where they play something completely wrong and it kinda makes it funnier.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
yeah I've apparently never seen the real version of that because I instantly recognized the weird replacement lick

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

my vhs copy of waynes world back in the day had the actual stairway notes. thats the first time ive heard the “wrong notes” version. does led zeppelin have the copyrights on a 1 second cover of their song? wtf

BobShaftoe
May 20, 2007

It's not a delusion.
Yeah it's a whole thing with Wayne's world and this joke where an entire article was written about it
https://www.gq.com/story/no-stairway-denied-waynes-world

"It was only later that I discovered the movie originally included a much more recognizable version of the song—but only in the original cut. At some point after the U.S. release, Warner Music Group and Led Zeppelin refused the rights to even the first few notes of "Stairway" for broadcast, video, or foreign release, resulting in the hasty, patchy edit. "With 'Stairway to Heaven' we were told that we could only use two notes before we’d have to pay $100,000, so to sell that he’s gonna play 'Stairway to Heaven' in two notes is pretty difficult," said director Penelope Spheeris. "I don’t know this to be absolutely true, but somebody told me that in the first version of the movie we play too many notes. So they had to go back in and edit a note or two out."

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

thats weird. even in the original version its barely recognizable. i wonder if they didnt fully ever say or write “stairway to heaven” if they could have played more of the song. copyright is so weird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's no way Warner Music has ever won a lawsuit on that. They're just getting people to back down with threats of a costly defense.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Swinging rope mounted paint buckets into rich evans' crotch and getting copyright struck because it sounds too much like the opening riff from stairway to heaven

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mix up the google search bar with this thread's post button again?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MrCamW/status/1747884799367500225?t=Vv6Y03PpZkhmH7lYMMhjVA&s=19

So wait, the HBO Max version of Wayne's World has the original theatrical audio mix with the Stairway to Heaven notes? I've only ever seen the home release where they play something completely wrong and it kinda makes it funnier.

Goddamn it’s so much better now. Thank you Paramount for finally paying up for the music license

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hackers film 1995 posted:

my vhs copy of waynes world back in the day had the actual stairway notes. thats the first time ive heard the “wrong notes” version. does led zeppelin have the copyrights on a 1 second cover of their song? wtf

Yeah I didn't even know there was a different version but I haven't seen WW since i was a young teen

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I only ever saw Wayne's World in the theater (and maybe on the first release VHS), so I had no idea that there was a version where he didn't play Stairway. Yeah, it just goes to show that this kind of fuckery has been happening to movies for as long as they have been around. I'd be more inclined to side with Led Zeppelin to get their money from the studio if something like 60% of their entire catalogue wasn't built on riffs they stole from blues musicians. (Like, if loving Led Zeppelin had to pay a 6 figure royalty for the rights every time they managed to play 7 consecutive notes from another musician, they'd be the poorest band on the planet.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 18, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Much like that home video modified Wayne’s World gag just kind of becoming the “real” one for a lot of people, Sailor Moon is having current Twitter discourse between people who hate that Toei stored their masters of Sailor Moon in a way that caused them to degrade and turn pink in the 2000s, and people who are glad Toei stored Sailor Moon poorly because “the pink tint is nostalgic and my childhood and any other color scheme is now incorrect because of it, and if you are upset that they just allowed this to happen then you’re an incel nerd”

Also people still insist that Rambo 3 has a title card specifically mentioning the Mujahideen by name that was edited later (it didn’t lol)

Edit: Toei has a history of lovely preservation. Like how now dragon ball has a gross green tint and the audio sounds like it comes from another room

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

And why did they edit out the scene of the T-Rex biting the tire from the original theatrical release of Jurassic Park? This is censorship.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i bet it was for upsetting american audiences

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you care about the color degradation of the sailor moon masters in any way you are, in fact, an incel nerd

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

First of May posted:

And why did they edit out the scene of the T-Rex biting the tire from the original theatrical release of Jurassic Park? This is censorship.

What??

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you care about the color degradation of the sailor moon masters in any way you are, in fact, an incel nerd

I guess if there’s one thread I’d expect people to be okay with film just rotting away in a warehouse, it’s the Nukie Appreciation thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

First of May posted:

The Michelin folks were big mad

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

In the name of the moon
I shall punish you

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
are incels really a large proportion of the sailor moon fandom?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mozi posted:

are incels really a large proportion of the sailor moon fandom?

If they were then maybe we would have a properly colored bluray release by now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If Led Zeppelin sues for unauthorized use of Stairway, they should just say it’s “Taurus” by Spirit.