Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/noah-hawley-prometheus-alien-prequel-fx-1235787276/

"For me, and for a lot of people, this 'perfect life form' — as it was described in the first film — is the product of millions of years of evolution that created this creature that may have existed for a million years out there in space," Hawley explained. "The idea that, on some level, it was a bioweapon created half an hour ago, that's just inherently less useful to me."

This show is gonna blow

David created the first alien ever and this so true because I said so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also it takes place on earth in the near future? Bruh that’s even more lame than you not liking that the coolest character from the best movies created the alien

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

This show is gonna blow

David created the first alien ever and this so true because I said so

David creating an Alien is neat.

David creating the first-ever Alien is dumb and bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

The show has other (alleged) problematic content that has me holding my breath a bit, but walking back the Alien origins is not among it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David created the first alien ever in the history of the universe

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Today I spent a little more than I probably should have (but I got a good deal, honest! No really!) on something I never thought I’d see in person:

Vintage 1979 Alien action figure (Coke can for scale).

https://youtu.be/iBhTpyJMnZY?si=ZRfVWgHa7ONw_KK9

I got this for Christmas of 1979. I was both fascinated and horrified by it, and when I placed it at the door of my bed still in its box, my Dad said “better hope you don’t wake up in the morning and the box is empty with a hole slashed in the front plastic.”

Thanks, Dad!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

imo it's better if the Aliens never had a concrete origin, just hints and implications. I hate the need to explain everything.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

imo it's better if the Aliens never had a concrete origin, just hints and implications. I hate the need to explain everything.

How about this: multiple concrete, but canonically contradictory origins.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Said it before, Scott saw that the mystery of the Alien was all gone so he replaced it with a far bigger mystery and all fandom did was complain that he left everything unexplained.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

just let me have my numinous fear of the vast unknown please

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No! Your fears are specific and human!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

says here the real monster was... capitalism??? that can't be right!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't see how Prometheus and Covenant are irreconcilable with the earlier movies. Seems like it all could fit together neatly with a fairly simple chain of events.

The engineers have a level of technological mastery over the manipulation of life that borders on the magical, and creating a new lifeform, or perhaps even transforming themselves into new forms of life, is a relatively simple affair. Maybe the xenomorph is one of many 'blueprints' they came up with before their civilisation declined, or maybe it's a naturally-evolved creature that they consider useful enough to preserve through the ability to recreate it on demand. Maybe it is even the creature they originally derived their insights into the manipulation of life from through study of it.

David comes along, figures out how the engineers did their magic, and like a child with a brand new box full of toys, he gets really excited about the things he can create with it. He either doesn't consciously acknowledge or doesn't recognise how much of the results owe to existing instructions left behind in the tech. He hijacks a colony ship and fucks off to places unknown to play with his new toys.

At some point David passes information back to Weyland-Yutani, or they otherwise establish contact with David, and WY learns just how crazy powerful all this engineer life-manipulation tech is, for a wide variety of purposes besides just creating bio-weapons. WY, or persons within it at the very least, become obsessed with obtaining this knowledge for themselves and begin various measures, executed with different degrees of competence and planning, to locate xenomorph specimens or engineer technology that will allow them to reverse engineer life manipulation like David did. They don't know exactly where to look, or what exactly they will find, they just know it's out there.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 16, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm fine with David not having created the xenomorph, because the colony ship from '79 is cooler if it's much more ancient than David. However, what I must stress is that David was the one who perfected the xenomorph.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's a frigging mural of a crucified Xenomorph in Prometheus, like I thought it was a pretty clear implication that the black goo has the potential for endless Xeno-style creatures and the Xenomorph has probably independently existed before way before any of the films. Like they basically made one by accident in the Prometheus post credits sequence

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

David basically pulled the xeno source code off of the Engineer github, and made his own very feature-similar fork.

This is unironically what I believe and it's supported by the text IMO.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 16, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alchenar posted:

Said it before, Scott saw that the mystery of the Alien was all gone so he replaced it with a far bigger mystery and all fandom did was complain that he left everything unexplained.

The “fandom” didn’t want it explained (and the two times the EU tried to “explain” the Space Jockey were met with a resounding “uh what”), likewise very large portions of the fandom responded to Prometheus and Covenant’s “revelations” with “no wait stop what are you doing”.

Ridley Scott’s stated intent, and the message the movie was arguably trying to convey, were that David created the Alien. That doesn’t mean it’s not irreconcilable with ‘Alien’ (my head canon is basically in line with Owlbear Camus’ view). I’d just get a big chuckle if the new TV series or movie actively walked it back.

David creating the Alien has been pretty unpopular with most fans and with people who remember ‘Alien’ and think about it for a few seconds, and FOX/Disney know it. Funnily enough, the author of the ‘Alien Covenant’ novelization actively changed it so David was following an Engineer blueprint, and the editors and studio basically said “yeah that’s a good call.” I don’t know that that’s necessary, it also works if David genuinely thinks he created the Alien but doesn’t realize he’s creating something that already existed, and I’d argue that that path is even more thematically interesting and appropriate for a tragic gothic horror villain.

I haven’t read it in person so I don’t know exactly what it says, but apparently the Alien RPG’s latest supplement also walks back the “David created the Alien” idea.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think Ridley Scott successfully trolled super fans

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Didn't Scott basically want to make another sci-fi film with aesthetic similarities to alien but mostly reflecting on the theme of Man Asking Questions So Big They Don't End Up Liking the Answers, but basically to get it made he had to tie it into a ~marketable property~?

It's a shame Tony Scott never got to make an Alien film. He really could have cooked.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Didn't Scott basically want to make another sci-fi film with aesthetic similarities to alien but mostly reflecting on the theme of Man Asking Questions So Big They Don't End Up Liking the Answers, but basically to get it made he had to tie it into a ~marketable property~?

It's a shame Tony Scott never got to make an Alien film. He really could have cooked.

Pretty much, yeah. Prometheus wasn’t going to be an Alien film and they went back and forth on it. Likewise, Alien: Covenant (originally titled Paradise) was going to feature Shaw and David going on a space adventure to find the Engineers and their world. But audiences complained that there were no Aliens in Prometheus and Ridley Scott said, and this is a real quote, “They want Aliens, I’ll give them loving Aliens!”

I think it could have been cool to see how Neill Blomkamp’s Alien movie could have turned out. I still maintain that a Blomkamp-directed faithful adaptation of ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ would be extremely in his wheelhouse, and I would actively try to get a copy of the comic in his hands if I thought there was a chance he’d read it.

One of my fondest forum memories was when I scored a ton of copies of Labyrinth and mailed them out to a bunch of goons in this thread and the GBS Aliens thread.

Speak of mailing stuff to goons, the toy shop I went to yesterday where I bought the 1979 Alien had a whole bunch of 90s ‘Aliens’ toys for cheap, I seriously considered picking up a bunch to give out to people in this thread.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 16, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

The “fandom” didn’t want it explained (and the two times the EU tried to “explain” the Space Jockey were met with a resounding “uh what”), likewise very large portions of the fandom responded to Prometheus and Covenant’s “revelations” with “no wait stop what are you doing”.

No, you're wrong, this is clearly better than the engineers

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’d be cool with getting a bunch of stand alone movies with the directors given the creativity to select or re interpret the canon as they like. Wanna recognize Prometheus and Covenant? Cool. No? Also cool. Series would be better if just Alien was recognized as the core

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Likewise, Alien: Covenant (originally titled Paradise) was going to feature Shaw and David going on a space adventure to find the Engineers and their world.

I wanted this movie so much.

Xenomrph posted:

Speak of mailing stuff to goons, the toy shop I went to yesterday where I bought the 1979 Alien had a whole bunch of 90s ‘Aliens’ toys for cheap, I seriously considered picking up a bunch to give out to people in this thread.

If they have a Scorpion alien or queen I'd happily pay you cost+shipping.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

If they have a Scorpion alien or queen I'd happily pay you cost+shipping.

Unfortunately the only Alien they had was the Rhino, although a shop down the street did have the Queen (not in the package though).

They did have all of the Marines except for Apone though. I think they had 3x Ripley and Bishop, and 1x Hicks and Drake, sealed in the package.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Listening to fans got us Covenant when we could've had Paradise. Ergo, filmmakers should not listen to fans.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterWeller posted:

Listening to fans got us Covenant when we could've had Paradise. Ergo, filmmakers should not listen to fans.

It wasn’t even fans, it was general audiences; the bulk of fans were looking forward to Paradise from what I recall on fan forums, etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

People think they want a new Alien movie but they really don’t. They’ve made a bunch of them and they could make something cool but they probably won’t because the studios want it to be a mega hit. Just need to let directors make new properties.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't want more Alien movies, I want more David movies.

Actually, that's not true. I do want more Alien movies as long as they keep trying to making them weird and interesting. Gimme the good franchise slop. But I want more Alien ripoffs than I want more actual Alien movies. File the serial numbers off and give me a modern wave of Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror type flicks over a new Alien movie any day.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

As much as I love my familliar slop, be it alien or star wars or whatever... more than anything i wish they still made mid-budget movies that were like... about something

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sorry, the best I can do is give you a bunch of TV shows that should have been movies and have way too much filler and feel incredibly stretched-out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, as gone over earlier in the thread, the endlessly-swarming exponentially-reproducing aliens imagined by fans would quickly die out. They’re unfit.

this, i think, is the origin of the belief that the aliens don't have to eat and just generate mass via magic. otherwise you have to confront that they are ecologically nonviable

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think you ever see the aliens eat though? Like in Covenant they actually go to distinguish the neomorphs by showing them eat people, which the xenomorphs stilll do and seem to go from baby lil' guys to fully sized in minutes

Thinking about it you actually see the neomorph grow from nothing in real time during the backburster scene too, I think them being actual Aliens who exist through principles beyond human understanding is very much meant to be the intended takeaway

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 16, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clearly they are very dense as little guys and much less dense as big boys

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Dignity posted:

There's a frigging mural of a crucified Xenomorph in Prometheus, like I thought it was a pretty clear implication that the black goo has the potential for endless Xeno-style creatures and the Xenomorph has probably independently existed before way before any of the films. Like they basically made one by accident in the Prometheus post credits sequence

MacheteZombie posted:

I think Ridley Scott successfully trolled super fans

The beauty of the David films is that they specifically only contradict the expanded universe materials. Xenomorphs are still potentially billions of old - except for, specifically, the kind on your lunchbox.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Based on the chestbursters in both Alien and Space Balls birthing during a meal leads me to suspect some sort of connection between the xenomorphs and human sustenance

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If xenomorphs don't fit into any kind of natural balance, and just keep making more xenomorphs until they run out of food and animals big enough to stick a facehugger on, do they not embody and carry out the death drive of capitalism? Agent Smith classifying humans under capitalism as a virus, et cetera.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No Dignity posted:

I don't think you ever see the aliens eat though? Like in Covenant they actually go to distinguish the neomorphs by showing them eat people, which the xenomorphs stilll do and seem to go from baby lil' guys to fully sized in minutes

Thinking about it you actually see the neomorph grow from nothing in real time during the backburster scene too, I think them being actual Aliens who exist through principles beyond human understanding is very much meant to be the intended takeaway
Originally in ‘Alien’ the crew was meant to find their food rations raided (presumably by the chestburster) to explain how it got so big, and it’s fine to presume that scene happened “off camera” in the movie.

The EU is very inconsistent on if chestbursters need to eat to grow. Like, they can do it (it happens in the Bishop book I’m reading, in fact) but there’s a bunch of instances where chestbursters just reach maturity without an apparent food source. Hell, it happens with the two xenomorphs in Covenant, who reach full size in minutes.

I agree that the intended takeaway is that they’re Aliens, they do poo poo that doesn’t make sense (nor should it). Whether you want them to be some sort of evolutionary outcome that speaks to naturally-occurring biomes we can’t even fathom, or if they’re the byproduct of artificially created bioweapons made with technologies we can’t fathom that result in “unnatural” creatures, it kind of speaks to the same themes and fears of poo poo We Don’t (and can’t) Understand.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna cross-post this to a few places.

I got the NECA ‘Aliens’ remake of the Kenner Ripley figure. The original toy came with a badass flamethrower. Instead of making a new updated flamethrower for the remake figure, NECA instead just gave her a smart gun and called it a day.

Anyone here with any 3D modeling/printing/sculpting/customizing aspirations interested in making a few bucks and giving her the weapon she deserves?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope we learn that David created the predator next

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

Clearly they are very dense as little guys and much less dense as big boys

They are murderous balloon animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Has anyone done any sort of EU fiction in the Alien universe further ahead in the future? I know Resurrection was set a few hundred years after Alien; has anyone done anything after that?

I ask because I'm considering doing something like that in the rpg. The PCs make a long distance trip but end up further in the future than they expect, that sort of thing. I think that there are a lot of threads, like the status of Synthetics, that could be pulled, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this already.