Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

poop chute posted:

Re: agitators, I think at this point everyone except GW includes a mixing ball. I know Army Painter and Two Thin Coats do, for sure, and I think the revamped Game Color paints have them as well.

Yeah, I know Army Painter does, even in their spare mixing bottles. In fact, though, it was one of those that basically spoiled a bottle of Vince Venturella's gold mix to the point of unusability. Easy enough to open up and swap out the metal for glass, though.

Meanwhile, I've been painting up this Sister of Silence, and figures that since she's the one with the flamer, might as well paint her like a Salamander, with the obsidian black skin and red eyes. Dunno if it's lore accurate or not, but gently caress it, we doing it live. Also, honestly think it came out pretty deece, so :shrug:

Oh yeah, I magnetized the arms and wrists, because I'm building for Kill Team, and being able to go with a sword isn't a bad thing either. Honestly not that bad, though actually getting the magnets was the hardest thing because shipping loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

poop chute posted:

Re: agitators, I think at this point everyone except GW includes a mixing ball. I know Army Painter and Two Thin Coats do, for sure, and I think the revamped Game Color paints have them as well.

Reaper has always included agitators in their bottles, and they're little 28mm scale pewter skulls

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

I laughed at those people that purchased one of those electric auto-mixers, but here I am shaking a contrast paint for 10 minutes without making a dent to the weird white stuff on the bottom of the container.

Pro don’t do this tip: vortex mixers are excellent but they aerate the living poo poo out of the new citadel washes and some contrasts making them absolutely unusable until the air settles out of them and you don’t have a head on it like a pint of loving Guinness. Takes ages too.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

poop chute posted:

New VGC does not have agitators included, I think the only vallejo bottles that do are the VMC ones.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have experience taking a vortex mixer apart to fiddle with it? Mine has a little cup under the rubber that I assume is sized for a test tube. It works well with an upside-down paint bottle or citadel pot, but trying to put them in right-side-up doesn't quite line up and often I have to fiddle to get a good connection on whatever switch activates the drat thing.

My new one doesn't have this issue somehow. But this little adapter may do the trick for you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4887753

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I desperately want a Sisters of Silence kill team with adrathic destructors, nemesis bolters, webbers, etc. all the stuff that they can have in 30k but don’t have models for it. Also a jetbike.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mr Teatime posted:

Pro don’t do this tip: vortex mixers are excellent but they aerate the living poo poo out of the new citadel washes and some contrasts making them absolutely unusable until the air settles out of them and you don’t have a head on it like a pint of loving Guinness. Takes ages too.

I have never seen this happen, but it could be because I transferred all my contrasts to droppers so I'm getting the good paint from the middle. Does this happen in pots?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have never seen this happen, but it could be because I transferred all my contrasts to droppers so I'm getting the good paint from the middle. Does this happen in pots?

it's slightly noticeable just shaking it by hand, I guess the lip on the lid works like an aerator a little bit? it's not an actual problem though, just swirl the pot like a glass of wine for a bit

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Picked up a paint brush for more or less the first time in about eleven years to make some wasteland bases. Kinda pleased with how they came out.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Picked up a paint brush for more or less the first time in about eleven years to make some wasteland bases. Kinda pleased with how they came out.

what'd you use for the rocks/raised bits?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Mederlock posted:

what'd you use for the rocks/raised bits?

Ripped up cork board.

I'm using this video guide as my starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdy7D2V7I9Q

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

How does this highlighting I've started on Magnus's shoulder look? It's Pink Horror over Sigvald Burgundy, possibly I just need a transition because of the models size? Should I try to mix a mid colour, or is the addition of lahmian medium to the pink called for?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

That transition is pretty stark, so definitely mixing a midtone is the way to go. If should smoothen things up quite a lot by itself. If you want to smooth it out even further, you can then make a glaze from either your darkest or lightest colour, and smooth out the edges.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starting to feel the diminishing returns as i keep working on this, despite some obviously unfinished parts that I didn't even start on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If purple isn't going to be the final colour of them, paint the bases. Don't necessarily go to the point of texturing them, but get some colour on and you'll feel like you've made more jump forward in progress.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

poop chute posted:

Because I started using [army painter warpaints] first and I have yet to find a good match for Greenskin

army painter is retiring most of the warpaints hues and the color match on the ones they're keeping is apparently pretty variable. you might want to stock up a bit on anything you particularly love from AP warpaints before fanatic comes out.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh shoot, I better stock up on AP Gunmetal on the offchance it changes then!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

painted up some of emang's greater daemons, a bloodthirster, shalaxi and skarbrand.

shalaxi and skarbrand need some finishing touches and then i need to do the bases and drench everything with blood effects, but i'm pleased so far.
they're goddam massive too

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Um I think you will find those are a Hematic Quenchseeker, Collector of Confidentiality, and Skar Bran the Flaked One.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I made my first attempt at airbrushing today. Just priming a bunch of little bases and a few models. I really need to look at some instructional videos because I have no idea when to stop spraying :dumb:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I made my first attempt at airbrushing today. Just priming a bunch of little bases and a few models. I really need to look at some instructional videos because I have no idea when to stop spraying :dumb:

Never. Stop. Spraying.

Real answer: stop when you've coated it with your primer color. It's ok if you see a little of the model underneath because you don't need 100% coverage.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kylaer posted:

The optimal case is that your paint is drying right as it hits your model, based on a combination of the paint priorities itself, pressure, quantity of paint, distance between the model and the end of the airbrush, ambient conditions, etc. It's a lot to experiment with, and the best way to do it is just keep painting.

The upside is that means you should stop spraying when you have coverage and your model starts to look wet. There's a little leeway in there, but really seriously stop if you see paint pooling on the model at all - that's when you're going to get stuff you don't want happening.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Cease to Hope posted:

army painter is retiring most of the warpaints hues and the color match on the ones they're keeping is apparently pretty variable. you might want to stock up a bit on anything you particularly love from AP warpaints before fanatic comes out.

weeeeeeeelp.

Worst case scenario, I figure out another green and just redo some armor, or just use the new color, but this still sucks.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Anyone know of decal dissolver solutions more aggressive than MicroSol?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You really shouldn't need one. Just put some on, wait until it's visibly dry, then do it again. For as many times as is needed.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Stephenls posted:

Anyone know of decal dissolver solutions more aggressive than MicroSol?

Tamiya Mark Fit Strong is about as hot as it gets.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Boy howdie you never forget your first time licking the brush after microset

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Yeast posted:

I've never done that, and I always assumed that microset was just diluted white vinegar. How's it taste?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

I've never done that, and I always assumed that microset was just diluted white vinegar. How's it taste?

methyl alcohol and possibly a bitterant

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
I must be in that rare subset of mini painters that never licks their brushes :shrug:

When painting, after getting some paint on the brush I just sort of drag the tip of it around on my palette, turning it as I do so, until it's formed back into a point. I think Duncan and others do a similar sort of thing when they do YouTube vids. That's one reason why the latest mini painting fad--namely, using one of those "push pop" silicone fidget toys as a palette--doesn't really work for me; while they're easy to clean and have a zillion "wells" for paint, they usually don't have enough of a flat surface on them anywhere for me to do the "drag and turn" tip technique.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Some of the ex GW guys (so Duncan, mainly) won’t show themselves licking the brush because they couldn’t show it on camera during GW tutorials, because the company didn’t want to be liable for some kid accidentally eating paint and getting sick and its habit at this point, particularly for someone like, again, Duncan, who basically just replicated the old GW format.

Source, that interview with a former product designer that Peachy did

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
You're probably doing it right, but you're also missing out on a whole range of taste and texture, so I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to not lick their brush

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Micro set is acetic acid that has been slightly diluted. Vinegar contains acetic acid, so diluted vinegar could work as a decal setting solution but contains other chemicals that are probably not desired and might cause a slight yellowing or discoloration. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar the distinctive odor.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Bohemian Nights posted:

You're probably doing it right, but you're also missing out on a whole range of taste and texture, so I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to not lick their brush

I've done the "accidentally swigged from mug of paint rinse water instead of the intended mug of coffee/tea" thing before, so I think I'm good :v:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just use my fingers to "re-point" the brush tip before painting the next color? No idea why anyone would want paint breath.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Picked up a cheap airbrush and compressor for priming/basecoating, have used it a bit but still getting used to it. Can I just check; As I'm undercoating, very little paint is coming out, unless the trigger is actually moving, so to get decent coverage I'm having to rock the trigger back and forth. Is this because I didnt thin the paint enough or would there be another cause?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Picked up a cheap airbrush and compressor for priming/basecoating, have used it a bit but still getting used to it. Can I just check; As I'm undercoating, very little paint is coming out, unless the trigger is actually moving, so to get decent coverage I'm having to rock the trigger back and forth. Is this because I didnt thin the paint enough or would there be another cause?

I believe most dual action airbrushes work by pressing down on the trigger to allow airflow and then pulling back to allow paint flow. When you pull back the airbrush trigger you should have consistent paint flow. Numerous airbrushes have a collet or locking device actually, like a backstop that you can set, to limit how far back you can pull the trigger and this is so you can figure out the ideal flow rate and lock it in.

Your situation sounds like something is not functioning quite right. Are you thinning the paint sufficiently? I think that would be where I would start. If you are struggling with figuring out the dual action mechanism you can just shoot water out of it to practice.

Edit to add: Sometimes paint will dry on the tip of the airbrush, this is called dry tip, and this can cause sputtering, blockages, impeded paint flow etc... Airbrush thinner will make the paint thinner, as the name suggests, allowing for easier flow, but sometimes it still dries relatively quickly on the needle. Flow improver tends to extend the drying time and helps prevent dry tip. So you can also add a little bit of flow improver to the mix instead of just thinner.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yeast posted:

Just lmao if you aren’t dumping micro set on your chips.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To paraphrase the guy who was in charge of the GW paint line, just because it's non-toxic doesn't mean it's a good idea to ingest it.

Just roll the brush in the crease of your hand instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I mix a little radium with all my paints so I know they are toxic, keeps it simple.