Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

not really in the spirit of leaving tech behind but otoh photography is a great motivation to get out in nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chemical photography is allowable woods tech imo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah, my xmas present to myself, the fuji 150-600.

:eyepop:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

spankmeister posted:

not really in the spirit of leaving tech behind but otoh photography is a great motivation to get out in nature

i take the camera bag with me on walks around the lake, it gets me outside doing stuff. if you dont bring *some* kinda camera then this thread would have no pics and be kinda boring imo. i dont have any cool landscape photos at the moment so bird photos it is.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i take the camera bag with me on walks around the lake, it gets me outside doing stuff. if you dont bring *some* kinda camera then this thread would have no pics and be kinda boring imo. i dont have any cool landscape photos at the moment so bird photos it is.

oh, sorry i wasn't being entirely clear. i meant that my lusting after gear isn't really in the spirit of this thread. taking pictures of cool birds and nature is cool and please keep doing so and posting them

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
saw a golden eagle eating some carrion by the road the other day

birds big

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I figured out a new mobile photo workflow so have a picture I took while doing a guided hike at smith rock on new years day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin sweet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

saw a hawk on my daily dog hike. i think its a coopers hawk but im bad at identifying birds. might be a red shouldered hawk

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looks like a good bird to me

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

saw a hawk on my daily dog hike. i think its a coopers hawk but im bad at identifying birds. might be a red shouldered hawk

good dog

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

looks like a good bird to me

clearly a dog :confused:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i want to go back to slinging cans of beer and fixing pinball machines

gently caress ai, gently caress hpc, double gently caress kubernetes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah, today was bigly one of those days i was ready to leave tech behind and wander off into the woods

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

outhole surfer posted:

i want to go back to slinging cans of beer and fixing pinball machines

gently caress ai, gently caress hpc, double gently caress kubernetes

my friend's mom used to make pinball field art back in the 90s in Chicago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Very cool mom imo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

clearly a dog :confused:

well now I'm confused

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Actually the lens is long so you can finally see the dick of the bird

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

someday we will achieve true bird dick clarity

i hate to be the one to tell you this, but birds don't have dicks :cry:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tell that to a duck

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i hate to be the one to tell you this, but birds don't have dicks :cry:

do you know why they call him big bird? hint: it's not cause he's tall, and it's not cause he's a bird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

do you know why they call him big bird? hint: it's not cause he's tall, and it's not cause he's a bird

lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

how far away you think you were and what kind of lense for this shot? i keep meaning to invest in a good lense and try and get back into photography as there are a few hawks and bald eagles that fight and chill in my backyard and id like to be able to capture it adequately

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i took that picture with my iphone 15 pro from about 8-9 feet (ish) away. he was either eating or hunting down in some brush below the trail and flew up onto that branch when i walked past.

i posted it mostly because it blew my mind how good it turned out (it was zoomed in to about 8x zoom using the normal camera app, no halide or external lenses or whatever).

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

post hole digger posted:

i took that picture with my iphone 15 pro from about 8-9 feet (ish) away. he was either eating or hunting down in some brush below the trail and flew up onto that branch when i walked past.

i posted it mostly because it blew my mind how good it turned out (it was zoomed in to about 8x zoom using the normal camera app, no halide or external lenses or whatever).

some camera nerd is gonna talk a whole lotta poo poo on this image for things that no one can actually see

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

oh wow ya.

this is my problem with photography, modern ohones are so good and convenient, hauling a big rear end dslr around or whatever the new hotness is, is comparatively annoying

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah i upgraded from an iphone 11 pro recently, and didnt realize that the zoom functionality had gotten so much better in the last few versions. even like 3x or 4x zoom on the 11 would result in a grainy pic. i've been thinking about getting a dslr lately too, but for day-to-day stuff its tough to beat 'oh hey look a bird' and whipping out the device you are already carrying in your pocket.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a lot of ai'ish filtering/upscaling at play there though, unfortunately it tends to look worse the longer one looks.

like, amazing picture, but the improvement from just being grainy is a bit mixed.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you are not going to get cool bird pics in good quality with a phone camera

"digital zoom" is just cropping! it looks like poo poo!

excellent bird thoguh

here's another one

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah for sure. the whole ai upscaling thing is the reason why i've been thinking about getting an actual camera. but my two main use cases for a nice camera are backpacking and hiking, and neither one makes hauling around another bulky, heavy, somewhat fragile thing all that enticing of a proposition. i've wondered whats the absolute smallest thing i could get away with carrying and still get 'better than phone' quality pics but have never spent much time researching it, partly because i shouldnt be going down a 'new expensive hobby' rabbit hole right now, but also because its just too much to look at. i know leicas are _very_ expensive, but as a form factor example, ive wondered about something like this size:

i dont even know if that lens is removable, but for my specific priorities (sturdiness, size, weight) it might be better if it wasn't. other problem is the main things i want pics of are close ups (birds) and big rear end mountain landscape pics, which might not be conducive to a single lens, either.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

realistic depth of field also comes from optical compression and always looks weird when applied to a photo digitally. idk if it would ever be possible to get that on a phone because physics just doesn’t allow it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i got a little camera sling bag that holds my camera and two lenses. it is very comfortable for hikes and you can easily slide it around to the front of your torso for easy access and lens swapping

this one https://www.thinktankphoto.ca/product/turnstyle-5-v2-0-charcoal/

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 18, 2024

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

leica cameras like that are pretty much all capable of removing the lens but you are paying for the leica tag, just get a nice fuji if you want that form factor

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
our ciso just quit and im 95% sure it was to go into the woods

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

post hole digger posted:

yeah for sure. the whole ai upscaling thing is the reason why i've been thinking about getting an actual camera. but my two main use cases for a nice camera are backpacking and hiking, and neither one makes hauling around another bulky, heavy, somewhat fragile thing all that enticing of a proposition. i've wondered whats the absolute smallest thing i could get away with carrying and still get 'better than phone' quality pics but have never spent much time researching it, partly because i shouldnt be going down a 'new expensive hobby' rabbit hole right now, but also because its just too much to look at. i know leicas are _very_ expensive, but as a form factor example, ive wondered about something like this size:

i dont even know if that lens is removable, but for my specific priorities (sturdiness, size, weight) it might be better if it wasn't. other problem is the main things i want pics of are close ups (birds) and big rear end mountain landscape pics, which might not be conducive to a single lens, either.

might be worth looking into fuji X100V, or XE4 if you want interchangeable lenses

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

post hole digger posted:

check out the YCIAPOS thread and micro four-thirds cameras. you can get a very small very good camera for not that much $$, but if you want cool bird pics you'll need a long lens. i'm in the same boat with really only wanting a camera for hiking/backpacking. short lens will be great for landscapes, but yeah you do run into the issue of needing multiple lenses and carrying all that/changing out gear sucks.

this is my tinycam
i got a big lens for birds though

here's a little Yardbird at ~30ft? with the 300mm lens

100% crop

so for birds you'd probably want longer than that and a tripod. yuck

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 18, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

polyester concept posted:

i got a little camera sling bag that holds my camera and two lenses. it is very comfortable for hikes and you can easily slide it around to the front of your torso for easy access and lens swapping

this one https://www.thinktankphoto.ca/product/turnstyle-5-v2-0-charcoal/

check this out :c00l:
https://www.matadorequipment.com/collections/photography-remote-work/products/camera-base-layer-2

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

check out the YCIAPOS thread and micro four-thirds cameras. you can get a very small very good camera for not that much $$, but if you want cool bird pics you'll need a long lens. i'm in the same boat with really only wanting a camera for hiking/backpacking. short lens will be great for landscapes, but yeah you do run into the issue of needing multiple lenses and carrying all that/changing out gear sucks.

this is my tinycam
i got a big lens for birds though

here's a little Yardbird at ~30ft? with the 300mm lens

100% crop

so for birds you'd probably want longer than that and a tripod. yuck

hmm ok for big bald eagles in a 100 ft tree 50-75 yards away id need a telescope got it, pass

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if it helps, you can usually rent the telescope for :10bux:x2 a day

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

here's a lens I rented last year and a couple of the photos I took with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that body is a nearly 2 decade old canon rebel t2