Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Regarding boomer shooters, For some reason I couldn’t get into Ultrakill or Turbo Overkill, like they’re super well made and all I was just eh on them, but Dusk and Ion Fury were amazing.

Despite the faux retro looks to them, imo they've very different games than the fps games that the world knew. There's probably a bunch of weird high-skill-ceiling old games that never took off (like Armour-Geddon) and hurt their makers. I'm glad such niche fps games now exist, but they really shouldn't be lumped into the fps revival category as they're probably not a good fit for what a lot of people are looking for, imo. Like the library lumping together sci fi and fantasy or something.

So yea, I'm in the same boat. Won't touch those games past their demos, but quality classical stuff like Dusk we need more of.

edit: gently caress wrong thread. Uhh, unpopular video game opinion: Just because you can't handle it, doesn't mean Starcraft was bad in any way. Git Gud.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

but sci-fi is fantasy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I bought the new Prey but haven’t played it yet on the very adamant recommendation from a couple friends so I think it has or will reach that cult status, like they spoke of it in the same way people talk about Titanfall 1&2.

Also probably not an unpopular FPS opinion, but holy poo poo I hate Turok 2’s single player levels so much, everything else about the game is great but the level design just completely kills it, and the online multiplayer is completely dead now too.

my biggest piece of advice for prey is, shoot your robot assistant in the face as soon as you can spare the ammo.

when the handholding ends, the real game begins :unsmigghh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cosmik Debris posted:

Does anybody remember heretic 2, the third person action platformer followup to heretic 1, which was a doom clone?

I liked that game. Ive never heard anybody mention it in like 20 years.

Yeah that was a blast.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Floodixor posted:

In the FPS genre, my one qualm is that Prey (new Prey, not the older one) got sniped by lovely reviews on release and sort of buried it. It's the best game I've played in the last, like, 10 years. It's amazing.

I hope that a sort of "legacy" thing happens to it, it becomes a cult favorite, and they bring back production for a sequel.

Prey on Playstation had horrible horrible control lag, and it should get 5 of 10 on that platform just because of that. Prey on PC was wonderful, though.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Prey was good but moon crash was excellent. Deathloop was a shittier version of it and it's a drat shame.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Debris posted:

Does anybody remember heretic 2, the third person action platformer followup to heretic 1, which was a doom clone?

I liked that game. Ive never heard anybody mention it in like 20 years.

Wait wasn't Hexen also a doom clone?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
iirc they both used the actual doom engine and was published by id software so not sure doom clone is the exact word

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 18, 2024

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Cosmik Debris posted:

Prey was good but moon crash was excellent. Deathloop was a shittier version of it and it's a drat shame.

more like Death-poop

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
nice

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nice

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Deathloop is like Dishonored except it felt cheaper because it reused maps. If you're going to make the same game again make it better.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it was also bad because all of the dialogue graphics and entire tone of it was boring and corny

i dunno what people are talking about with gameplay loops and mechanics sometimes, as if they matter. it's much simpler than this. deathloop is a good example. you walk around as a cylinder collider and point the center of the screen at things and shoot em. that's all for granted. that's what you did in the original doom.

when every single other thing about your presentation is crap, i dunno man, you're stupid. your whole games company is run by people with bad taste. people play it because it's a simple gameplay formula that almost everybody likes, and all you've done is add things that need to be endured to get to that part.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm sad that Rocksteady's Suicide Squad thing sounds like it's going to be the next Redfall because I'd probably have enjoyed it if it was good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordor She Wrote posted:

more like Death-poop

the brand name is 'marmite' actually

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

oh yeah i guess its time for my weekly reminder that redfall exists, i had forgotten about it for like the 30th time.

Arkane may have the most pathetic arc for a games company of all time. From making really good games to complete trash in like 3 years.

and it's not even like it's one studio, Prey and redfall were both arkane austin and deathloop was arkane lyon and both dishonoreds were both offices

I was so excited for deathloop, I loved prey mooncrash and deathloop was so bad i just stopped playing

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 19, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deathloop is a 8/10 game that could have stumbled into insanely high retrospective esteem if it hadn't had only one golden path to winning.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Deathloop's comedy never rang right. It was always too silly for me to take the premise seriously. Like when a woman is stabbing you through the chest -- to death -- and your character says "Ow! That's gonna hurt tomorrow!" (this is also before he is aware of the timeloop)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I agree both that Deathloop was bad and that it wasn't funny but iirc that line is said because the character is literally going to wake up tomorrow after dying and still feel the stabs

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deathloop is one of those games that you could tell would be terrible by the way the devs talked about it in previews. One of the lead level designer guys said in a pre-release interview that it was a game based around the premise that games become infinitely more fun after you've played through them hundreds of times and memorized the environments and enemy placements. This is an experience I've never had because games almost universally become boring after playing through them once or twice.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

the premise that games become infinitely more fun after you've played through them hundreds of times and memorized the environments and enemy placements.

Then Deathloop should have been a $5 shareware episode :v:

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Deathloop is one of those games that you could tell would be terrible by the way the devs talked about it in previews. One of the lead level designer guys said in a pre-release interview that it was a game based around the premise that games become infinitely more fun after you've played through them hundreds of times and memorized the environments and enemy placements. This is an experience I've never had because games almost universally become boring after playing through them once or twice.

That's the entire premise of Mooncrash.

It's a simulation of events on a moon base where everyone is dead, and you're an investigator. You do "runs" trying to figure out the story of each character, and each character has goals you have to pursue, and you only have a certain amount of time before the run is over (I forget the reason). Unlike death loop, you can't take as much time as you like, and there's only one area (iirc).

It forces you to run through it multiple times with multiple different characters, unlocking different stuff.

It's a much better game than death loop, with a better premise, even if the "death loop" system is the same. And it's just DLC for prey, because that's all that the premise can really support - a DLC. The base is fairly small and you can get a hold on it after 3 or 4 runs. Each run only lasts around 20 minutes I think.

I played the hell out of it and really enjoyed it. Plus epic gave it away for free along with the base game like 2 or 3 years ago.

Just looked at some steam reviews and people are pissed that it's so different from Prey, but I really liked it. If you want a better version of deathloop, get moon crash.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 19, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Meh. Deathloop was fine, but I completed it and didn't go back. I also couldn't be arsed to try the multiplayer where you could be the female character trying to assassinate Colt or whatever his name was.

!Klams posted:

Oh, absolutely! Painkiller had that stake gun that could pin enemies to walls, which was essentially hl2s Grav Gun before it did it. Just endlessly fun. Having those tarot cards 'rewarding you with a power up for doing well' felt good too. An absolutely class act. I really enjoyed Blood and Blood 2, and Hexen 2, and actually Kiss: psycho circus came out around the same time as painkiller (in my mind... Just checked, lol, 4 years prior, ok.) and that was unreasonably good for a first person KISS game.

But the one for me that no one ever talks about is singularity. It was doing(a poor man's) titanfall 2 impression long before titanfall 2. (not the mechs, but that one level). It has a ton of other gimmicks in it too, and they're all just really fun.

Yeah, I liked Singularity, but not enough to have done a second playthrough. It is one of those forgotten gems, though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I liked Prey but couldn't get into Mooncrash. I didn't even hate it, it just felt really pointless to play that kind of game in the form of short ephemeral runs where you explore the same space over and over, since exploring the unknown of the station is what made Prey good.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

I liked Prey but couldn't get into Mooncrash. I didn't even hate it, it just felt really pointless to play that kind of game in the form of short ephemeral runs where you explore the same space over and over, since exploring the unknown of the station is what made Prey good.

I'm also someone who was disappointed that Prey's DLC completely switched genres, but after letting it linger in my backlog for over a year, I finally gave it a shot and was surprised by how much I liked it. Figuring out how to make each character escape, then putting all of your knowledge from previous runs together to make them all escape without resetting was very satisfying, and the tactical decisions about whether to use the resources you find, or to leave them for another character made it all very tense and engaging. It's how roguelikes/roguelites should be designed, instead of making people look up thousands of obscure mechanics in a wiki.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The station changes as you progress in Mooncrash, various hazards close down and open up new paths, and the 'idea' was being able to complete a (semi-familiar) area while leaving goodies behind for the next guy who ran through. The Mechanic-class muddled that balance a bit, but it was a solid idea decently executed. As for exploration, each character has something like a mini-plot to complete (once only), so it's got its fair share of new content as a carrot to keep you going.

-------

Unpopular Video Game Opinion: Dark Souls' mechanic of having the resting station respawn enemies was brilliant and should be a staple in all genres going forward. A few games have already done so, but various troglodytes loudly call them "Souls-likes" for daring to adapt to new ideas. Morons.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Wasn't there a TC mod for Skyrim that became it's own game that was also based around a repeating day time-loop?

I seem to remember people speaking highly of it at the time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Forgotten City, yeah. Some people loved it, others hated it. I shamefully missed out giving it a go when it was on gamepass so I'll probably never get around to it lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I got it on a Humble Bundle and loved it. Really solid short game. I read a lot of people hated the ending, but... given the setup, it made sense to me, seemed fitting, I don't know what would have made for a satisfactory ending otherwise :shrug:

There was one part in the game I always hated. The idea is that nobody is allowed to commit a crime, or everyone in the city dies. There's a part where you have to steal a bow. How can you steal a bow without committing a crime? You replace it with another bow. That's still a crime, though!! Everyone should be dead!

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

credburn posted:

You should get winded quicker. I hate playing online shooters and a person is like fuckin vibrating in a spot, unwilling to sit loving still for just a moment, gotta move two inches left, two inches right, two inches forward, two inches left, two inches left, two inches forward, two inches right

You twitchy idiot, you're trying to make yourself a harder to hit target but you're wrecking my immersion!

What seems to be the problem, friend?

https://i.imgur.com/cAQH5mJ.mp4

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 19, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

!Klams posted:

I guess my train of thought followed on with 'great games you cant play anymore' because I started remembering Evolve. I miss that game so much, and it's SUCH a drat shame they can't support it or re-release it or anything. Super weird that I never once in any reviews saw any reference to Giants: Citizen Kabuto which was very much it's spiritual predecessor, which I believe you CAN still play, which is just super topsy turvy. Oh, I bought that the same time I bought that game Sacrifice, which was too weird to live and really rare but still died anyway.

This is just a stupid mind dump at this point because I'm procrastinating from working, but I guess the thread loosely tying this together is weird games. You don't seem to get quite so much of it these days, but, maybe that's just because I don't have as much time to dive into all the indie stuff.

I still sing the praises of Evolve to this day. Most people just heard about the bad press and low player count and assumed the game was rear end, but it was entirely a failure of marketing, not gameplay design. They sold the base game for full price, then like a month after release they sold additional playable characters as DLC for like $25. These were completely new characters with unique functionality, not cosmetic upgrades, on a roster of only a handful of characters. Then shortly after that they sold a season 1 battlepass for $40 which was basically just another DLC that gave you a new monster. So you were looking at $125 just for the privilege of playing the full version of Evolve.

Then as the game was clearly dying just a couple months out the gate, they went into panic mode and hyperfocused on every complaint they could find other than the glaring monetization issue, leading to a long string of extreme and badly conceived balance changes, along with a "graphical overhaul" that significantly diminished the game's graphics because I guess some people were complaining about bad performance on old machines. Now that the game looked worse and played worse, they gave up ditched the greedy DLC poo poo and sold the full version for a heavily discounted price as a final gently caress-you to the old players who supported the game. Meanwhile new players tried it out and quickly saw that the game wasn't very good anymore. 2K can go suck a gently caress.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wait wasn't Hexen also a doom clone?

Hexen was weird because it had multiple characters that played differently and multiple hub levels that you travel back and forth from, it's doom engine but it's well beyond a doom clone

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I liked The Hidden, which was a Source mod if I remember right. One person is a Predator-cloaked serial killer who can jump good and cling to walls briefly, armed with a knife that has a quick jab attack and a long, noisy wind up attack that is tricky to time and will reveal your location because of the sound, but will also instagib anyone it hits. He could also pin bodies to walls. The other players are the spec ops team trying to hunt the killer down. One of the greatest things the game did was there was no indicator when someone was killed. You could get separated from your team and then wander into a room and see every last one of their bodies hanging from the walls and ceilings and realize you were alone.

Good stuff but it was never very popular and it'd probably be impossible today since there'd be a million and one ways to cheat implemented in no time.

edit: oh he also had pipe bombs to discourage everyone forming a blob of death that's covering every angle

There actually is a custom gamemode for Pavlov VR that is straight up just The Hidden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJamGiKnO1o&t=75s

Sadly I don't know of any groups that play it, but it looks fun as hell :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm like 3 hours into NieR:Automata and so far Nier was a way better game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Forget call of duty, give me a Blood remake!

Or Blood 2 would also be fine.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

credburn posted:

I'm like 3 hours into NieR:Automata and so far Nier was a way better game.

Nier Automata is a decent 7/10 game and if anyone goes on about it being the greatest game ever etc please slap them in the face tia

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nier Automata is a decent 7/10 game and if anyone goes on about it being the greatest game ever etc please slap them in the face tia

Yeah, it's a 7/10 but you can add another point or two if you're depressed and like anime rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, it's a 7/10 but you can add another point or two if you're depressed and like anime rear end.

1 point per cheek

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Serephina posted:

Unpopular Video Game Opinion: Dark Souls' mechanic of having the resting station respawn enemies was brilliant and should be a staple in all genres going forward. A few games have already done so, but various troglodytes loudly call them "Souls-likes" for daring to adapt to new ideas. Morons.

Similarly, the whole "dropping your souls on the ground" mechanic is bad and pointless. It gives souls newbies badfeels for no reason, and if you've played enough souls to know losing your souls doesn't really matter at all it just clutters the ground/ui in a difficult area. This mechanic drags down pretty much every game that adopts it. The ones that turn your souls into an enemy you have to beat are even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

yeah but some of the characters are named after philosophers

The combat is super basic compared to other platinum games and the dumb brain hacking shoot em up segments are dire

The Moon Monster posted:

Similarly, the whole "dropping your souls on the ground" mechanic is bad and pointless. It gives souls newbies badfeels for no reason, and if you've played enough souls to know losing your souls doesn't really matter at all it just clutters the ground/ui in a difficult area. This mechanic drags down pretty much every game that adopts it. The ones that turn your souls into an enemy you have to beat are even worse

Nah it adds a ton of tension into your next run and provides meaningful and memorable experiences when you lose all your souls. After a few hours its like "lmao remember when I lost all those souls? That was crazy." Other games don't pull it off, especially Hollow Knight.