Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The world in BOTW felt more like you were visiting a place that hadn't seen a visitor in a long time.

BotW 100% nailed that feeling of being in a post-apocalyptic emptiness only inhabited by the occasional loopy hermit. While TotK gave a completely different vibe of being in a lively and crowded theme park.
Though to be fair to TotK, it was a sequel trying to not just repeat the vibe of the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

galagazombie posted:

BotW 100% nailed that feeling of being in a post-apocalyptic emptiness only inhabited by the occasional loopy hermit. While TotK gave a completely different vibe of being in a lively and crowded theme park.
Though to be fair to TotK, it was a sequel trying to not just repeat the vibe of the last game.

I appreciated how alive the stables are in TotK, especially after you finish the musicians quest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Game of the Year Thread Results are in:

VideoGames posted:

Goodnight All :D

TotK was my personal game of the year and I'm pleased to see it do so well against BG3 which was just an utter juggernaut.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’m not even mad that TotK wasn’t a shoo-in, lots of great games is better for everyone even if you don’t play them all

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I thought about putting the SO2 remake ahead of it personally

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

TOTK can feel like a romhack of BOTW sometimes, and that's totally valid criticism. However I seem to really appreciate when my favourite games get turned into romhack-like sequels. Hotline Miami 2 is a prime example of this for me. Or a more relevant example would be Majora's Mask.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 15, 2024

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I've got a question that I've seen conflicting answers to, given that game guides are apparently all AI generated trash these days.

Is there a difference between the "attack up" buff given by food and the fierce deity or barbarian armor, and the set bonus for the upgraded legacy armor sets (Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, etc) you find in the deeps?

If there is a difference, what are the mechanics for each one? I've seen claims that the food/armor buff is a % base, though with varying values depending where you look, while the set bonus is said to be a flat addition to your base damage.

If that's true, do they stack? It seems like the optimal case would be to use a legacy set for the flat bonus and then a buff food for the %, assuming food and fierce deity/barbarian armors are the same effect.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
From what I remember, they're the same buff and get added together, but can't stack up past level 3. It's been too long for me to be confident about this, though, so maybe test the cap in-game

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
For fucks sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_MftISZHU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I've got a question that I've seen conflicting answers to, given that game guides are apparently all AI generated trash these days.

Is there a difference between the "attack up" buff given by food and the fierce deity or barbarian armor, and the set bonus for the upgraded legacy armor sets (Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, etc) you find in the deeps?

If there is a difference, what are the mechanics for each one? I've seen claims that the food/armor buff is a % base, though with varying values depending where you look, while the set bonus is said to be a flat addition to your base damage.

If that's true, do they stack? It seems like the optimal case would be to use a legacy set for the flat bonus and then a buff food for the %, assuming food and fierce deity/barbarian armors are the same effect.

For the damage calculation, this reddit post appears to have the numbers, along with how each bonus affects it: https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/13wrp2g/

tl;dr
- Attack Up (the specific, generic attack up status buff) food and armors can stack up to level 3. (1: +20%, 2: +30%, 3: +50%)
- Attack Up from the legacy armor is +1 to the above, but also can't go over the same cap
- Buffs from food and armor are applied after Weapon Effects

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's weird that they fudged the numbers on two-handers and spears, I didn't know that before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It sort of makes sense that they messed with the numbers some since you can get in a lot of hits with a charged spear attack. I never use it since most of the time you only hit them once or twice, but whatever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ICwHJpA.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

"Your mother sucks cocks in Death Mountain"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

"Your mother sucks cuccos in Death Mountain"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
A very confused Goron, having misheard it as "sucks rocks" : "Yes, and?"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

:words:

I have no desire at this point to do everything and will probably eventually just finish the main quest and never play it again.

Tl;dr: IMO TotK is a bloated mess of a game that actively works against much of what made BotW so memorable. It's a frustrating and grind-heavy game that lacks the elegance and flow of BotW.

I agree with most of this. I actually like the majority of the things they added to TOTK: all the activities, greater depth and complexity to the quests and handcrafted setpieces, the depths, the sky, the weapon fusing, etc. But all of those things ultimately add up to an experience that is overwhelmingly stuffed and felt less satisfying when I was done with it. The thing that really hurts it is that they have the "look over here!" breadcrumb signalling down to a science, so my ADHD rear end keeps chasing every shiny thing and getting overwhelmed.

I think the biggest mistake was re-using BOTW's map; not because I wanted a new map, but because the old map was specifically designed for BOTW's style. Taking that huge expanse and giving it the TOTK makeover gives you way too much to do and, as you said, feels bloated. You don't need 150 caves. You don't need 80 Addison's. This is most apparent with the sky and the depths, where they clearly didn't have enough time or interest to fill another layer of the world but still committed to them covering the entire map (even with the sky islands pretty scattered they STILL feel 90% copied and pasted).

TOTK's density and complexity on a smaller map built for that game system would have been much better imo

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think it's too many quests. Just it doesn't take advantage of the cool set pieces enough. Show players who'd normally not stumble upon an Easter egg. Like a mission where you are trying to find a lost horse and you find it at lon lon ranch ruins instead of random place. Or make use of the cool castle pieces.

I really enjoyed the wells that turn into caves and wish there were more of those and less of the caves that just have horriblins and like likes.

Also think that some of the limitations of the Zonite system ought to be removed post game. I might start going into caves using vehicles and have that be part of the problem solving.

The quests are too generic for a map bursting with personality. Addison quests ought to be clues to caves, for instance.

I really liked the gerudo quest even though the prize sucked because it had a lot of personality and lore.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just wish they fleshed out the depths and sky islands more. Seems like such an afterthought. When I discovered the depths it was such a cool experience and I was so looking forward to exploring it. Turns out there’s pretty much nothing worthwhile in like 90% of the depths. It’s more of a slog than anything now. Sky islands are just like they spent a few hours copying and pasting poo poo up there just so they said there’s a third layer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching a let's play of skyward sword and two observations

1) Man like 90% of the things explored in breath and tears was tried out in this game
2) these dungeon items suuuuuuuuck No wonder they wanted to try something different.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The spinner would've been rad as hell if it had any traversal use outside the dungeon tracks, that feels like a real missed opportunity.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Twilight Princess double Hook shot was fun. I just hated how they telegraphed the only locations you can cling on to with grates instead of it just being any wooden object , like ocarina of time. It felt less like exploring and more like a crafted area for you to use dungeon item outside of dungeon. And that was done to curb complaints that you only ever use items in the dungeon you find them in.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Guys I know it's not a popular game but they said Skyward Sword not Twilight Princess.

Houle posted:

Twilight Princess double Hook shot was fun. I just hated how they telegraphed the only locations you can cling on to with grates instead of it just being any wooden object , like ocarina of time. It felt less like exploring and more like a crafted area for you to use dungeon item outside of dungeon. And that was done to curb complaints that you only ever use items in the dungeon you find them in.
I think it also worked on vines?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's understandable, the last good true Zelda game was wind waker.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My point still stands :colbert:

don't hurriedly read and reply to posts while in between having sessions, kids

But yeah, I liked the whip ok and the clawshots are fine, but the rest are just kinda there.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eifert Posting posted:

It's understandable, the last good true Zelda game was wind waker.

It's really funny that they casually made the most powerful Zelda item ever in the Deku Leaf and it only took them 15 years to realize that and revisit it (as the glider in Breath of the Wild).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I finally rolled credits on the game after ~275 hours. After that, I found and finished the like 7 side quests I had missed and finished the signs, which took another ~10 hours. I've put ~100 more hours into this than I did BOTW.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. I didn't ever really sit down with a specific goal in mind, mostly I just tooled around and let my ADHD point me to wherever. Honestly, I think that helped things overall. Like, if I were ever able to focus on one thing, I could imagine getting frustrated about all the various little hints and nooks and crannies that I was constantly finding. Instead, it was a decently chill experience unless I wanted to go fight something big. I think I basically ended up doing the main quest until I finished with the Rito section, then tooled around for a while going from 0 to 40, then did the Goron area, then tooled around for a long while going from 40 to 80, then did the rest of the main quest up to the final bit before getting the last 20% and finishing.

mycot posted:

It's really funny that they casually made the most powerful Zelda item ever in the Deku Leaf and it only took them 15 years to realize that and revisit it (as the glider in Breath of the Wild).

So powerful, they left the Deku Leaf right in the game. I'll bet if Link were a child, those Korok Leaves would still work just fine.

Honestly, I'm having trouble coming up with my favorite weapon from the various games. I think it might be WW's boomerang? Being able to lock onto multiple targets and at least stun most enemies was great. The spinner suffered from needing a highly visible and hard-to-justify-in-lore track. If it had some other means of sticking to walls, it would've probably seen much more use overall.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

1) Man like 90% of the things explored in breath and tears was tried out in this game
2) these dungeon items suuuuuuuuck No wonder they wanted to try something different.

It is really funny how obvious it is that totk was just them trying again at the things they wanted to accomplish in SS. Fujibayashi has straight-up said he wanted to do seamless sky-to-ground dives in SS but couldn’t pull it off with the Wii hardware. Plus, yknow, dropping the SS HD remaster to warm us up for totk

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
The Lens of Truth is up there for me. I know it’s not a cool action item, but the mystery reveals and scares that came with it gave OoT so much character and immersion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The paraglider's obviously the best overall, but the bunny hood's gotta be a strong second, and it's a shame it only does anything in one game. I already spend most of my time on foot in BotW/TotK, it would've been incredible if I could do all that at 1.5x speed.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Eifert Posting posted:

The beetle rocks once you upgrade it a few times. I wish that came back. Zonai drone with camera?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RCarr posted:

I just wish they fleshed out the depths and sky islands more. Seems like such an afterthought. When I discovered the depths it was such a cool experience and I was so looking forward to exploring it. Turns out there’s pretty much nothing worthwhile in like 90% of the depths. It’s more of a slog than anything now. Sky islands are just like they spent a few hours copying and pasting poo poo up there just so they said there’s a third layer.

Yeah I was really excited to find cool temples and lore in the depths, find out what its deal was, how it tied into Ganondorf's plot, etc. When I realized it mirrors the top world and the shrines are tied to it I was even more excited for the eventual "origins of the depths" reveal. Turns out it's just kinda there.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It still feels like a lost opportunity how they put a cave in the Akkala fortress and it's a generic natural cave instead of something like Hyrule Castle on a smaller scale

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
In hindsight it should probably have been a bit more concerning that Hyrule was built on a sinkhole the size of a continent

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As mentioned above Skyward Sword is fascinating with how in hindsight it’s so obviously BotWs beta test. Basically everything BotW is lauded for, SS did first. Except in every way a concept in BotW worked, in SS it sucked rear end. Name me one thing that BotW did well and I’ll point out how SS did it badly. It’s like Nintendo outsourced BotW’s development to the consumers. We paid $60 to be Guinea pigs for the game they were really making.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
That's kind of the Nintendo way. The virtual boy was a prototype for 3ds the wiiu was a prototype for the switch.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Name me one thing that BotW did well and I’ll point out how SS did it badly. It’s like Nintendo outsourced BotW’s development to the consumers. We paid $60 to be Guinea pigs for the game they were really making.

Weapon durability.

(I have never played SS)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wildtortilla posted:

Weapon durability.

(I have never played SS)

It has shield durability and a weird elemental triangle where wood shields burned, metal shields could be shocked out of your grasp, the fairy shield had the lowest durability but naturally regenerated it and then if you beat the boss rush you got the Hylian shield with infinite durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wildtortilla posted:

Weapon durability.

(I have never played SS)

Love it or hate it, BotW has a system of “swords are ammo” that works with the game. SS had the most obnoxious “permanent item you have to keep paying to repair” grind.