Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Who purchases a Bible? I don't think I've gone a full year in adulthood where I didn't have to actively refuse an invitation to take a Bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Donald was a pall bearer.

You missed a really solid Mike Lindell joke in there (who is actually Paul Bearer)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lol whole lotta wins lately

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

greazeball posted:

Texas and California seceeded. BOTH SIDES, SEE? :jerkbag:

It's a non-chud (Alex Garland) who is making the movie and starring Kirsten Dunst as the main role, who is pretty open about being liberal. My guess it'll be a dystopian near future where everything sucks for everyone. Just like a civil war would be irl

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:lmao: if trump goes down like capone. getting popped for loving around with taxes then spending his last few years wandering around in florida all out of his gourd from the degradations of neurosyphilis

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Anders posted:

It's a non-chud (Alex Garland) who is making the movie and starring Kirsten Dunst as the main role, who is pretty open about being liberal. My guess it'll be a dystopian near future where everything sucks for everyone. Just like a civil war would be irl

I mean, it’s a24, it’s not gonna be another American sniper chudfest. Still dumb.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Not in any way surprised, but lol lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They could vacate Johnson but at this point they are running into a wall of what does that get you.

They ignored the wall on the first vote but at some point they have to see it

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
My guess, which I think someone already made earlier in the thread, is it's going to generally try to demonstrate why a civil war would be bad and awful all around so maybe people should stop fetishizing civil war in Boogaloo memes and such like a bunch of clueless teenagers.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

fondue posted:

I wish they wouldn't romanticize this poo poo.

.... "I'm going to see this just to find out how Texas and Cali ended up on the same side " ( from the comments)
This.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They could vacate Johnson but at this point they are running into a wall of what does that get you.

If they learned from their mistakes, would they be qualified to be Congressmen?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Doesn't get them poo poo. Gets us lols though, so I say do it.

Pass a bill to fund the government until next year, then motion to vacate Johnson. I feel like there's a way to do it with it ending up with a dem as speaker.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The GOP turds in the House are delaying this vote as much as possible by forcing roll-call votes on all the procedural poo poo that is normally done by voice vote before the vote on the CR.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Lmao if you think the HFC wants anything other than to screech, throw poo poo everywhere and become e-famous by constantly drawing attention to themselves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So that's correct but not the entire outcome - the motion was denied in part and granted in part.

https://bsky.app/profile/kenwhite.bsky.social/post/3kjbjzyrwrs2n

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I said we’ll cut off vacate your Johnson, Lebowski!!

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

funeral home DJ posted:

It's even stupid for Trump supporters, who constantly find new and exciting depths of stupidity on a regular basis.

I hope the secret service and FBI find the swatter so we can have a good laugh at how many head injuries they sustained before they made the decision to call a SWAT team on the White House.

That SWAT Team was ready to tase the poo poo out of that fire

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Liquid Chicken posted:

I'm guessing the chuds will be jerking off in the theatres over the upcoming Civil War movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

Are those lovely translucent red glasses supposed to be the new Hawaiian shirt or Fred Perry polo or Viper sunglasses or whatever stupid fashion accessory far-right shitheads use to identify each other as violent treasonous fascists?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone do the doom guy buts for vacate

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CharlestheHammer posted:

the chances of a shutdown skyrocket and that seems to be exactly what the HFC wants

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

You know, the more I hear about these 'House Freedom Caucus' people, the less I like them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
HFC absolutely 💯 wants a shut down because they think that will force budget cuts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I commend Jeff Foxworthy for trying to update his bit but it falls flat IMO.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

but at some point they have to see it

but do they

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

HFC absolutely 💯 wants a shut down because they think that will force budget cuts.

Nah, they really just want to tank the economy to boost Trump

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kazil posted:

the chances of a shutdown skyrocket and that seems to be exactly what the HFC wants

That’s what they want but they are a pretty tiny minority that basically needs the democrats to actually do anything

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I acknowledge this is a stupid question an idiot would ask, but please be gentle.

Why would Johnson get removed over this? Yes, I'm sure he wants it to pass, but wouldn't enough Republicans also vote for it to render the HFC's tantrum irrelevant?

Dems want this to pass too, right? My tiny pea brain isn't seeing the problem here.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You know, the more I hear about these 'House Freedom Caucus' people, the less I like them.

But who doesn't like houses, freedom, and/or caucus! Everybody loves those things, I'm sure there just misunderstood due to all their inane babbling, yelling and screaming, and the like.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I acknowledge this is a stupid question an idiot would ask, but please be gentle.

Why would Johnson get removed over this? Yes, I'm sure he wants it to pass, but wouldn't enough Republicans also vote for it to render the HFC's tantrum irrelevant?

Dems want this to pass too, right? My tiny pea brain isn't seeing the problem here.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I think if the dems decide to vote against him, the HFC crazies would be sufficient to kick him out. But unless I missed something, the dems should be pretty ok with this version so they probably won't do it, even though it'd be pretty funny.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It only takes 1 (republican) member to call for a motion to vacate. Johnson would need Dems to not vote against him to keep the job. Would come down to do Dems save Johnson or let Republicans kill each other and hope they get the blame?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Dems can vote him out just to own the Republicans but they wouldn’t do that until after it passes so that is irrelevant

Though this time their might not be a speaker until the next bill anyway so it could come back to bite them

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Why would Johnson get removed over this?

If it followed the McCarthy model, Johnson would get it passed, then piss off the Dems to the point where they don't see any value in protecting him, and then HFC pulls the one-vote MTV and the Dems stand aside and let the GOP eat itself. It's probably easier to do now than it was under McCarthy with even smaller House GOP margins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kazil posted:

It only takes 1 (republican) member to call for a motion to vacate. Johnson would need Dems to not vote against him to keep the job. Would come down to do Dems save Johnson or let Republicans kill each other and hope they get the blame?

Whichever is less good for the dems and the country, the dems will probably do

the only reason McCarthy got ousted was because Matt "Forehead" Gaetz hated him, I don't know if Republicans hate Johnson. in fact a lot of republicans love johnson generally

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also more moderate republicans often end up caving to the far right of their party. Republicans tend to be like the Democrats in that way who also always seem to cave to the right of the party.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

jokes posted:

Whichever is less good for the dems and the country, the dems will probably do

the only reason McCarthy got ousted was because Matt "Forehead" Gaetz hated him, I don't know if Republicans hate Johnson. in fact a lot of republicans love johnson generally

McCarthy also backed out of a lot of deals he had with Dems.

Dems could theoretically leverage a speaker circus into a more moderate Republican in the spot, though it's probably just more likely they would keep Johnson to avoid a shutdown altogether.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So it only took a bit over 30 minutes for the House to vote on a 15 minute procedural vote. Now they have 5 minutes to vote on a Senate amendment. I'm guessing it takes at least 15 minutes.

They really do need to just loving stop taking votes when the timer runs out and let the reps stew over their votes not counting. Eventually they'd maybe figure out how to push their stupid yes/no button during the timer.

E: The amendment voting is going much faster and already has enough yes votes to pass.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There isn't a large enough R majority in the house to make anyone's temper tantrum irrelevant. And since the rules are anyone can call for the speaker to be kicked out at anytime, two or three people mad that the bill didn't gut federal funding for puppies and kittens can break government again.

Basically, any compromise that gets dems on board loses a minimum of one-third of the nutjob party. The only way to keep the lights on right now is to get dems to agree to something because the nutjobs are fractured and too many want too many contradictory things. So the best that they've been able to do is kick the can down the road and that will still likely result in Johnson getting the boot.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

The Locator posted:

So it only took a bit over 30 minutes for the House to vote on a 15 minute procedural vote. Now they have 5 minutes to vote on a Senate amendment. I'm guessing it takes at least 15 minutes.

They really do need to just loving stop taking votes when the timer runs out and let the reps stew over their votes not counting. Eventually they'd maybe figure out how to push their stupid yes/no button during the timer.

E: The amendment voting is going much faster and already has enough yes votes to pass.

It needs 2/3rds of the House which it'll get, not a simple majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Oof, this vote is splitting Republican votes hard. Johnson might actually not be safe