Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Air Skwirl posted:

I think the only IT people that make $200k+ are the ones that are committing blackmail on executives whose emails they've read.

I am not sure how an IT role is defined because I am not a computer person, but I would guess 75% of computer people in the bay area older than 25 make something around that. I guess the contract employee at a company that plugs in HDMI cables probably does not make 200k.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I thought Ahsoka was bad but my wife liked it. Then again, she's way more into Star Wars than I am and has seen all the cartoons and everything, and I gather there's a lot of backstory in those.

Rosario Dawson felt really flat in it. Just a real in it for the check performance.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not sure how an IT role is defined because I am not a computer person, but I would guess 75% of computer people in the bay area older than 25 make something around that. I guess the contract employee at a company that plugs in HDMI cables probably does not make 200k.

I’m in the metro area of seattle so I think that’s a significant reason why the salaries are so high for many of the IT/systems support folks I know

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nearing the end of Skyrim and running out of quests finally so I guess I'll open that Elder Scroll on top of the mountain but I don't want it to end.

Also figuring out that I can drag dead bodies around has brought the game to a grinding halt since I'm spending all my time assembling all the Forsworn bodies to make it look like an orgy and cackling to myself because I'm 12

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Love that decapitated heads are still tied to their bodies no matter how far down a mountain they tumble

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Android Apocalypse posted:

Loki season 2 wrapped everything up and it feels like a good coda for the titular character.

I still haven't seen Ashoka because mentally I thought I should watch Rebels first and I'm too lazy to start Echo. I completely forgot season 2 of What If…? started as well.

Rebels has some high highs but is largely kind of boring and a huge comedown from Clone Wars. Ahsoka is pretty bad, I would not recommend watching 75 episodes of Rebels to get to Ahsoka.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

Rebels has some high highs but is largely kind of boring and a huge comedown from Clone Wars. Ahsoka is pretty bad, I would not recommend watching 75 episodes of Rebels to get to Ahsoka.

Do not listen to this man about Rebels. Its very good and I would argue has less filler episodes the Clone Wars.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got a Herman Miller embody last year during their big sale.

Idk what it is but even with my adjustable height desk, mouse wrist cushion, I just cannot seem to get comfy in an ergonomic work position!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

Do not listen to this man about Rebels. Its very good and I would argue has less filler episodes the Clone Wars.

To each his own. Clone Wars could be hit and miss, but the anthology nature of it usually kept things fresh. By the end of Rebels I was pretty tired of Grass Planet and of most of the main cast of characters. I will say that I watched Rebels more or less in real time as it came out, so I could see it going down different if you can stream it all at once. The main way it suffers in comparison with Clone Wars is how obviously lower budget it is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I work at a giant software company. I've no doubt there's software engineers making $200k+ if they've put a decade or more into the job, but most of the people who make that are well into a management role, like middle management and up. This is at a big established company though. There's a faster path to wealth which is to work at startups, of course you could get unlucky and do three or four busts and never have one that makes it big, but if you're young and can handle the grinding hours and irritatingly big personalities and all that poo poo, it's a possibility that you'll get on board a pre-IPO that gets big VC money and your options and stuff will push your income up and over the 200k mark.

As a technical writer, lol, lmao at that being an option, nobody in my field makes 200k. I've got 24 years into my career now and my little brother is making the same as me after three years of doing Elixir programming. Technically I make a bit more because I have RSUs that push it above, but on a strict salary basis his is higher than mine.

"IT" is kind of an eroded term now. It used to mean the guys handling all the servers and networking at every company that had those, but increasingly everything's cloud and your random insurance office or lawyer firm's IT dept has shrunk and the work has become more straightforward and I think that has depressed the salaries. But then there's jobs working at like an amazon data center or implementing a complicated cloud architecture at some big company that can pay pretty well. I'm not sure if people would call those "IT" jobs specifically, they tend to be more specialized. System integrator, pre-sales architect, etc. You get like an Azure certification or something and then charge consultant fees to companies to help them implement their MS cloud deployment and maybe that's "IT" but nobody's calling it that.

The reality is that, as in many other fields, specialization is how you make more money, but also involves a certain amount of added risk. If you're the only guy in the region who really knows how to do this one specific thing, you can charge high fees. But if that one specific thing becomes obsolete and you don't have more general skills, you could just stop being relevant. I remember in the 90s/00s there were people with loads of investment into physical networking knowledge and technologies, and then basically everything standardized on ethernet. If you invested a ton of time into expertise with token ring networking, that investment became worthless and you needed to be willing and able to shift to the modern thing. And since the modern thing is much more standardized, you'll be competing with a lot of other networking people who are also experts with ethernet networks. Your specialization premium went away.

I'm somewhat specialized on cloud architecture docs. But that's a shift. I used to be somewhat specialized on enterprise application admin docs. And before that, in ~1999-2000, I had experience with XML before most tech writers did, and that got me my first job. In a world where people are worried about AI eroding writer jobs and we've had two decades of exporting those jobs overseas too, I'm still pretty secure because of my specialty. For IT jobs it's a similar deal.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

I turned my heater on when it dropped below 60 tonight. Brrr.

Haha whenever I post my weather trolls I know you're right there with me

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How many of you make $200k or more?

To IT goons, how much do you make and how much does IT pay? Most of the IT folks I know have a wide range of incomes and work titles that seem almost completely unrelated to the scope and difficulty of their work responsibilities.

When I was at either of my former corporate law gigs, pretty much everyone I dealt with in IT made over 200k each, from contractors to the in house.... god its been too long since I did Agile so I forgot their titles... Product Owners + Conductors?

Basically everyone involved made crazy money. Brokest dudes int he room were the Scrum Masters and they made mid 100s. Seemed like a really safe field to make a good living.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I used to make over 200k but that involved traveling every week, and that doesn’t work when trying to start a family. Sure beat when I was traveling for 20 days at a time making 90ish though.

I’m looking for a new job now though and it does sting seeing salaries at half of what I used to make, but the lifestyle should be much better.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

More artists should make feature-length music videos for their work, this rules

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

Rebels gets a little repetitive at points but it's generally very good. Now, Resistance? That was more tepid than day-old dog diarrhea.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

These new Marvel movies are getting weird.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

wandler20 posted:

These new Marvel movies are getting weird.

Thanos was right.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What's the complete opposite of insider trading?

https://twitter.com/followtheh/status/1748027676600738112?t=cpcgP4HF3EVKgIOtlt5CKA&s=19

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Literally a more then 25% drop on the day, huh.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

To IT goons, how much do you make and how much does IT pay? Most of the IT folks I know have a wide range of incomes and work titles that seem almost completely unrelated to the scope and difficulty of their work responsibilities.

I'll out myself - after bonuses, I made approximately $155k. This is in Wisconsin, and I had ~20 years in the field as a team lead managing 10 folks, all overseas contractors that I had no say in hiring or retention, mostly in a support role for devops tooling. I was at this place for 12 years and started at $95k as a senior developer.

As mentioned, I technically wasn't supposed to be 24/7, but by nature of being That One Guy That Knows All The Legacy poo poo, I got called and messaged every day at all times of the day. That was supposed to change but the company wouldn't invest in upgrading old code so there was never an end in sight.

Anyway, I'm rambling. If you're at all curious feel free to PM me and I'm happy to explain what I saw.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's funny because I imagine Portnoy tweeting out that he bought the stock was an attempt to juice the price as he hoped his fans would buy in too. Whooooooops!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I could.

My current gig is inpatient psych has me managing multiple inpatient facilities. I have 12 facilities that I see every two weeks. I go to them in the morning, see my dudes, then come back home and chart. A couple of facilities I see weekly, but most are every two weeks.

To get to 200k, I'd need to add a couple facilities and see the really in depth ones half as much, which would make those days brutal. Overall I'd need to see 26 patients a day. I'm paid per patient, and obviously that invites some perverse incentives and no not all of these patients need to be seen monthly but this is per Medicare guidelines and I do right by them. I don't just snow people.

That seems like a lot of patients, but I'm working in chronic care; i see these patients at least monthly. I know them very well, and without bragging I'm good at this. I can get patients stable. It's a ton of work up front, because in every facility I'm taking over for someone incompetent. For example I took over an entire VA long term care facility and the previous provider was an imbecile. It took me about 2 months to get everyone stable, and now the place is a cakewalk. It's just a cash cow for me now, and I'm fine with that because I killed myself to get it there. I go there, shoot the poo poo with my patients, let everyone play with Addie, and go home and chart.

I'm doing well but lifestyle creep is absolutely a thing and I have a ton of projects that aren't going to pay for themselves. I'm trying to keep perspective on things and I am worried about my work life balance. I do not like charting from home; when i go home I want things to be done, and WFH leads to me just kinda working a little all during the week. I'm already seeing more psych patients than any other psych provider in the company, six months in. they don't even bother me about not attending zoom meetings because I'm too busy. they're paying me for acute consults because, frankly, how incompetent other providers in this company are. Ive never smoked weed regularly in my life and I'm currently getting high every night to relax because I know they can't randomly drug screen me and even if they did I'd laugh at them and dare them to fire me. this is toxic as poo poo

So yeah, I'd need to increase my patient load by about 20%, add facilities, and go through the process of stabilizing them all, and honestly I just don't think it's worth it. i loving hate this job, I hate this loving company, I hate working from home, I hate my coworkers saying stupid loving poo poo like asking what dopamine is (yes I am serious yes I am horried) and i hate hate HATE when patients ask me to help them with other problems because Im the only person they trust. I hate not having in person coworkers and I miss the camraderie of working in the hospital or an office where we all know we're getting hosed but we're getting hosed together so gently caress it.

Next step for me is...

a.) either private practice psych where'd I'd absolutely make over 200k and have an office. Id be bored as hell but it'd be easy.
b.) inpatient neuro. i love it. it's what i like doing. it would not pay that great compared to what I could be making in psych
c.) say gently caress it and work at that psilocybin/mdma/ketamine psych facility 20 minutes outside of town

anyway wow this took off uh sorry

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Outsider art

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My ex wife did the startup routine for a bit but had pretty bad luck, ranging from unexpectedly shutting down with no notice to the cokehead owner firing her at SEATAC during a manic episode while she was returning from a work trip. Made me greatly appreciate the stability of government work, the best job security and especially with the union I’m harder to get rid of than a cockroach. My pay is unimpressive in the grand scheme but for a social worker, especially one without an MSW, it’s pretty much top of the industry, I’ve got a buddy who wants to move to Tennessee to be near her family and it’d literally be a 60% pay cut

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Love to see Portnoy eat poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

My ex wife did the startup routine for a bit but had pretty bad luck, ranging from unexpectedly shutting down with no notice to the cokehead owner firing her at SEATAC during a manic episode while she was returning from a work trip. Made me greatly appreciate the stability of government work, the best job security and especially with the union I’m harder to get rid of than a cockroach. My pay is unimpressive in the grand scheme but for a social worker, especially one without an MSW, it’s pretty much top of the industry, I’ve got a buddy who wants to move to Tennessee to be near her family and it’d literally be a 60% pay cut

Yup. I dunno if this holds true across all industries but for a lot of white collar jobs, you can take a ~$80k-$120k job and more or less half-rear end it permanently with no big trouble. But if you want to make $200k you are going to be busting your rear end. Maybe there's some dead easy $200k jobs out there but I don't know what they are. If you're thinking "executives" hell yeah but at least in my industry they're making more than $200k and a lot of them sacrificed their personal lives for 10-20 years first to get there. If you are climbing a management chain, the bottom levels of management suck rear end a lot in a lot of industries.

I know a fair number of programmers and while I don't know all of their salaries, I know the ones that have gotten promotions and longevity in their jobs and have have roles like "chief architect" are the types that hammer out code for weeks without coming up for air and don't seem to have a lot of outside of work hobbies or interests. That's never gonna be me.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm guessing Oregon pays about the same as Washington and I think for a field office we top out at about $110 and that's if you want to be the boss everyone in an office. King County gets a 5% COLA as well and that's across all state agencies. On the other hand our entry level admin and very basic worker salaries start at about 30k before taxes and that's across all agencies too. I did our lobby day on Monday to talk specificially about that since a good friend of mine had to post a GoFundMe for rent after her husband got laid off they got behind. Better wages for everyone, getting someone with actual child welfare experience instead of gormless Microsoft tech dude as our agency head, and taking worker assaults seriously have been the focus here for our union. Gotta admit, aside from burnout, getting multiple threats from a client was a big reason for me switching to court services.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah I forgot there is one obvious line of work where you can make 200k and still be a lazy rear end in a top hat, and that's cops lol
just do all the overtime gigs, so I guess you're lazy but also doing a lot of extra hours?

it's the one area where government work seems to pay off more than private sector

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/mikansboxx/status/1747732632371143031?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

oh yeah I forgot there is one obvious line of work where you can make 200k and still be a lazy rear end in a top hat, and that's cops lol
just do all the overtime gigs, so I guess you're lazy but also doing a lot of extra hours?

it's the one area where government work seems to pay off more than private sector

Are you suggesting sitting in your running car at a highschool football game while sending revenge porn isn’t working!?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Those numbers thrown around are giving me hives.

Can’t wait to be a loving engineer.

This is giving me intense anxiety just looking at it, good lordt

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

here. i have several engineers and managers that report in to me that also make over this, though they are tenured and strong technologists. i maintain a pretty good work life balance and am able to be present and get the kiddo to practices and pursue creative hobbies - i've been fortunate to find companies that are aligned with the balance I want and I also am very proactive in protecting this space.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the most annoying thing about making money is that our leaders just gently caress the economy up so they can get theres and it ends up eating all my advancement.

Literally making the most money I've ever made. In the worst financial position I've been since I bought my house nearly ten years ago.

Monthly costs since 2020 have gone up for me by nearly 800 dollars and I've reduced frivolous and vice spending by a lot.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I make zero dollars. Except for when I sell random stuff in SA Mart or on Ebay.

Actually I lied, I think I made $90 last year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My company recalled all remote employees to hybrid roles for two days a week in the office in August. They’re increasing it to three days in April.

I applied for 11 roles today. gently caress that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Dinner was a quesadilla made with leftover pulled pork, cheese, and assorted sprouts a studio mate brought to work a while ago (alfalfa, broccoli, clover, and radish).

Quest nacho cheese chips because :btroll:… which I negate by having a Coors. :v:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

No Butt Stuff posted:

My company recalled all remote employees to hybrid roles for two days a week in the office in August. They’re increasing it to three days in April.

I applied for 11 roles today. gently caress that.

A very good reason to be firing off resumes, imo

My ~1500 people company had a quarterly town hall today. There was a typed question asking if a fully remote person would have the same opportunities for advancement as someone in a physical office. Our (very uncharismatic) CEO at first said oh yeah, good employees will be recognized and promoted no matter where they work, then kind of caught himself and threw in something at the end about "it's one thing to be remote where we don't have a physical presence, but you can figure out a hybrid schedule if you're in a city where we have an office". Made me happy there isn't one within 1000 miles of me.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Digital Jedi posted:

Shared this with a few discords and might well share it here.

For those in the US, if you don't know your state may have unclaimed property(mainly money) of yours. https://unclaimed.org/

I've done this a few times over the years. Got about $5k over the years (90% of it was a single item from some stock sale).
Pretty easy to file a claim. And, money is money so worth to check!

Got $200. Thanks!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Got a helluva icicle going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Freaquency posted:

Love to see Portnoy eat poo poo

Didn't he just lose a ton of money on a bad bet, too?