Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

There are two shots that I swear I remember from when I saw Jurassic Park that haven't been on any subsequent release.

There is a quick shot during the jeep ride after they arrive on the island, where Ellie leans out of the jeep and snatches a big leaf off a plant as they drive by. This is the leaf she is seen looking at when they arrive at the brachiosaurus reveal.

There is a shot during the T-rex attack when the vehicle is upside down and the T-rex is biting at it. It bites one of the tires and the tire explodes. You can still see rubber strips hanging from the T-rex's mouth when it roars and pushes the car down into the mud, but the tire exploding moment is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the whole Star Wars special edition thing kind of made people hyper-vigilant about movies being changed for any reason whatsoever, always protecting a "definitive version" that may or may not actually exist. Little changes have always happened, way more than people realized.

On balance it's probably a good thing, but it does get irritating sometimes. Like oh they used a slightly different stock sound effect for this thing now, my original experience of seeing it in the theater is ruined forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The anger over this stuff is depressing because if you leave it all to directorial intent then whatever they say was "always the intended vision" loses meaning. Lucas always intended for Greedo to say Maclunkey. The Raid was always supposed to look like a 4K restoration rather than how it first released.

Saying you like one version over the "intended version" will always bring down idiots upon you for not preserving media or some dumb poo poo.

First of May
May 1, 2017

I'm not mad about it, I just wish I knew why Steven Spielberg has been gaslighting me for 30 years.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
He put those shots in just at your theater. Specifically to drive you nuts for three decades.

Edit: it’s also not impossible that those shots you mentioned could’ve been from specific tv edits that you’ve seen 25 years ago

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 18, 2024

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Are you maybe thinking of cut scenes or a behind the camera thing on the DVD?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the whole Star Wars special edition thing kind of made people hyper-vigilant about movies being changed for any reason whatsoever, always protecting a "definitive version" that may or may not actually exist. Little changes have always happened, way more than people realized.

On balance it's probably a good thing, but it does get irritating sometimes. Like oh they used a slightly different stock sound effect for this thing now, my original experience of seeing it in the theater is ruined forever.

The difference is that Lucas not only hosed around with the trilogy but then basically said "LOL gently caress you, you'll never see these as they were originally released ever again because the garbage 90's CGI is my vision"

And then went and made even more nonsensical changes before they hit Blu-ray for reasons

Generally I err on the side of letting an artist have control of their own work, but slapping all that needless CGI onto the original trilogy also does a huge disservice to the work done by Industrial Light and Magic and all the amazing miniatures and puppet work they did, ontop of adding dumbshit that didn't need to be there (and removing the Ewok song from the end of Jedi for the incredibly boring and senseless galactic celebration poo poo.)

Basically my point is, if you're going to go back and gently caress around with a piece of art after it's been released into the world, don't lock the original away in a vault, it has its own historical value and the changes being made aren't always going to be good or even necessary (The Warriors and Blade Runner: Final Cut come to mind)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

First of May posted:

There are two shots that I swear I remember from when I saw Jurassic Park that haven't been on any subsequent release.

There is a quick shot during the jeep ride after they arrive on the island, where Ellie leans out of the jeep and snatches a big leaf off a plant as they drive by. This is the leaf she is seen looking at when they arrive at the brachiosaurus reveal.

There is a shot during the T-rex attack when the vehicle is upside down and the T-rex is biting at it. It bites one of the tires and the tire explodes. You can still see rubber strips hanging from the T-rex's mouth when it roars and pushes the car down into the mud, but the tire exploding moment is gone.

Is it possible this actually came from a tv broadcast? It was common to intentionally film footage that would be cut from the theatrical release but later added to the tv version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

Basically my point is, if you're going to go back and gently caress around with a piece of art after it's been released into the world, don't lock the original away in a vault, it has its own historical value and the changes being made aren't always going to be good or even necessary (The Warriors and Blade Runner: Final Cut come to mind)

Big same. New cuts are fine and good but whatever was originally released to the world should be just as easily available as whatever the new one is. Even in cases like Blade Runner where I like the Final Cut more and would always opt to watch that one, it’s really bad that they just don’t seem to put out the theatrical cut anymore.

The Warriors though, they FINALLY remastered the theatrical cut in 4k! First time it’s ever been released on an HD format

https://www.arrowvideo.com/the-warriors-limited-edition-blu-ray/14941926.html

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

joylessdivision posted:

The difference is that Lucas not only hosed around with the trilogy but then basically said "LOL gently caress you, you'll never see these as they were originally released ever again because the garbage 90's CGI is my vision"

And then went and made even more nonsensical changes before they hit Blu-ray for reasons

Generally I err on the side of letting an artist have control of their own work, but slapping all that needless CGI onto the original trilogy also does a huge disservice to the work done by Industrial Light and Magic and all the amazing miniatures and puppet work they did, ontop of adding dumbshit that didn't need to be there (and removing the Ewok song from the end of Jedi for the incredibly boring and senseless galactic celebration poo poo.)

Oh of course, but that's what I mean by "hyper-vigilant". There's a difference between drastically and intentionally changing major aspects of the movie with no way to watch anything close to the original version, and a slightly different editing decision here and there. In some cases there's really not even such thing as an "original version". Probably even applies Star Wars too, but we all know what we mean when we say that.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2024

First of May
May 1, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: it’s also not impossible that those shots you mentioned could’ve been from specific tv edits that you’ve seen 25 years ago

I knew they were missing because they weren't there the first time I watched JP on home video, so I'm pretty sure they were in the theatrical.

Maybe I'm remembering scenes mentioned in the promotional trading cards and my child brain just filled them in?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

If Led Zeppelin sues for unauthorized use of Stairway, they should just say it’s “Taurus” by Spirit.

:hai:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

First of May posted:

There is a quick shot during the jeep ride after they arrive on the island, where Ellie leans out of the jeep and snatches a big leaf off a plant as they drive by.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmchwe60Lo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

are incels really a large proportion of the sailor moon fandom?

I assumed it was 99% children, and I'm disheartened to learn that there are a bunch of apparent adults who have real big feelings about this

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

First of May posted:

I knew they were missing because they weren't there the first time I watched JP on home video, so I'm pretty sure they were in the theatrical.

Maybe I'm remembering scenes mentioned in the promotional trading cards and my child brain just filled them in?

I rewatched JP recently on Netflix and both of those scenes are in FWIW.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Back when 28 Days Later came out in theatres I was hearing rumors about alternate endings at different theatres/showings.

Later the DVD proved the alternate endings true of course but I can't find mention of it happening on the big screen during its run.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arc Hammer posted:

The anger over this stuff is depressing because if you leave it all to directorial intent then whatever they say was "always the intended vision" loses meaning. Lucas always intended for Greedo to say Maclunkey. The Raid was always supposed to look like a 4K restoration rather than how it first released.

Saying you like one version over the "intended version" will always bring down idiots upon you for not preserving media or some dumb poo poo.
wong kar-wai was supposed to lead uh I think the criterion restoration of some of his older movies, and his thing was like "look... I literally can't do this as my original vision, because I'm not the same person anymore. it's been decades. if I tried to be faithful to what that younger man wanted to make, it'd be a lie, I'd be pretending, and I'm not interested in pretending. I'll do this honestly as the person that I am now. it's going to be a little different from what you originally experienced."

and I was like right yeah

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

kalel posted:

saw cure (1997, dir. kiyoshi kurosawa)

real drat good serial killer psychological thriller with occult flavor. it starts out a little weird, almost silly, with how the killer is initially presented, but it very slowly grows into a macabre nightmare. there are no jump scares but it's probably the most scared and gripped I've been in a theatre in a very long time. there is some pretty disturbing imagery throughout. also features a handful of wonderfully staged and blocked one-shots that are seamless and nearly invisible. one of my favorite viewings so far this year.

watch pulse next!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I get what you mean, but then you have people colorizing black-and-white movies using the same reasoning. Some people take it too far.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
i think recolorization and other similar projects are cool, but i also dont jump down anyone's dick for liking a certain cut; except the og star wars trilogy because gently caress the *s p e c i a l e d i t i o n* and gently caress u if you like it

oh and david lynch's dune

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I have been searching for the version of Dog Day Afternoon as it originally played in theaters where instead of people chanting "Attica" text appeared on screen reading "missing reel sorry for the inconvenience theater management"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I assumed it was 99% children, and I'm disheartened to learn that there are a bunch of apparent adults who have real big feelings about this

I mean it’s a show that popularized and redefined a genre that its still influencing to this day. The problem is less “it’s pink now” and more “they really are gonna just continue storing this next to the radiator?”

Keep in mind the outcome could’ve easily been less “it’s pink tinted” and more “well I guess the only color that survived was red…”

It is also just par for the course with that company just not giving their works, even the very famous ones, the care they deserve. just letting whatever happens happen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

I mean it’s a show that popularized and redefined a genre that its still influencing to this day. The problem is less “it’s pink now” and more “they really are gonna just continue storing this next to the radiator?”

Keep in mind the outcome could’ve easily been less “it’s pink tinted” and more “well I guess the only color that survived was red…”

It is also just par for the course with that company just not giving their works, even the very famous ones, the care they deserve. just letting whatever happens happen.

I dunno I liked teenage mutant ninja turtles when I was 6, but I don't really have strong opinions on where they should keep the masters or whatever

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am mad that the OG awesome violent effects shots from Friday the 13th 6(?) were cut from the theatrical release to get it down to a PG-13 and then they apparently chucked them into a dumpster after filming because the only thing remaining is a VHS editing copy or something. All the insanely violent hell dimension footage from Event Horizon is also apparently gone as well.

you'd think they would want to take the minimum amount of care to preserve stuff so they could y'know sell it again later to us rubes as an unrated edition or something

And yet Vinegar Syndrome or whoever it was was able to assemble a full movie (New York Ninja) out of a garbage can full of raw film reels that were 40 years old

Cubone
May 26, 2011

sinnesloeschen posted:

except the og star wars trilogy because gently caress the *s p e c i a l e d i t i o n* and gently caress u if you like it
star wars is a funny one because it was altered long before the special editions and NO ONE CARES because it just wasn't really a big deal
like, there's a reason that the special edition changes are what people get upset about

in 1977 it was little things like removing matte lines from a composite shot or a small section of the cantina music playing when they first approach mos eisley
it's interesting but very understandably doesn't really get anyone's goat

I'm sure stuff like that happened all the time, it's just not meticulously documented the way it has been with star wars

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Star Wars, like lots of movies, has little dumb poo poo that changes between releases. Adding Episode 4 to the crawl, very slight changes in cut timing, using different takes that are slightly different, it’s rare for a director to just be straight out malicious like Lucas was in 1997.

I also don’t know why the hell The Evil Dead got changed in the bluray/uhd releases. It didn’t go adding Star Wars poo poo, but they went through and “fixed” the movie and smoothed out camera movements and changed color temperature and CGI’d out mistakes.

Who the gently caress watched Evil Dead and was annoyed by the fact that it looked like it was made with no budget?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's an often-repeated theory but every time it's brought up, nobody can provide a shred of evidence. I'm sure he does have assistants writing at least a few of them though.

I think people want to believe rather than acknowledge in their heart of hearts that Shat has some pretty rear end opinions.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

thats weird. even in the original version its barely recognizable. i wonder if they didnt fully ever say or write “stairway to heaven” if they could have played more of the song. copyright is so weird.

I distinctly remember noticing when the wrong notes version made it to video. I thought there was a later TV edit that cut out the Stairway sign altogether so it's just a guy being yelled at for playing badly, but I definitely remembered the right notes version, being 100% target demo for Wayne's World at the time and probably seeing it opening night.

Cubone posted:

star wars is a funny one because it was altered long before the special editions and NO ONE CARES because it just wasn't really a big deal
like, there's a reason that the special edition changes are what people get upset about

in 1977 it was little things like removing matte lines from a composite shot or a small section of the cantina music playing when they first approach mos eisley
it's interesting but very understandably doesn't really get anyone's goat

I'm sure stuff like that happened all the time, it's just not meticulously documented the way it has been with star wars
Like, my own quibble with the Special Editions is not OMG my childhood, but the whole "oh no, the original reels died on the way to their home planet and will never be seen again" for film history reasons.

Kinda like when they colorized movies; okay, have at it, just let people watch the originals.

The fact all of this happened when certain countries' copyrights were at risk of ending on the originals is totally a coincidence

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Big same. New cuts are fine and good but whatever was originally released to the world should be just as easily available as whatever the new one is. Even in cases like Blade Runner where I like the Final Cut more and would always opt to watch that one, it’s really bad that they just don’t seem to put out the theatrical cut anymore.

The Warriors though, they FINALLY remastered the theatrical cut in 4k! First time it’s ever been released on an HD format

https://www.arrowvideo.com/the-warriors-limited-edition-blu-ray/14941926.html

I am so loving happy about that new 4K Warriors. I love that movie and never liked the funky re-release from the mid-00s. I had the theatrical cut on DVD that I kept from Netflix but I think it eventually got lost and I was stuck with the newer version.

sinnesloeschen posted:

watch pulse next!

Also this. Pulse is so depressing and good, and it's a crime against cinema what they did with the American remake.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

stillvisions posted:

I think people want to believe rather than acknowledge in their heart of hearts that Shat has some pretty rear end opinions.

I'm sure he does but you can't seriously think old man shatner is posting that poo poo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even in our age of old men, ruling the world, shat is pretty high up there at 92. I'm not sure if that fits better the theory that they are his takes and they're rear end, or that he could not possibly be posting to such an extent.

I guess I just feel like, news flash, old people did learn to post unfortunately

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it rules that shatner had a mind altering space trip and bezos just ignored him to spray girls with champagne lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Haha nobody doubts that Shat is a blowhard who thinks dumb poo poo, it just doesn’t seem likely that he’s running his own Twitter account in his 90s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGnW6YNPjs

Better or worse than Mutt dying in Vietnam and nazis shooting Romans?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yoda booty dance

First of May
May 1, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Indiana Jones and the 5.8 Metacritic Score

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

All they needed to do was make a Tomb Raider or make a Lucasarts adventure. What on earth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Point and click sidescroller is the only way Indiana Jones games should work.

Indiana Jones ripping off Tomb Raider is a real ouroboros.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wild that they saw the reception to dial of death in vietnam and still thought that was a good idea, full speed ahead. Starting to think that maybe this todd howard guy has lost the plot

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be clear, the main thing I doubt is that Shatner's daughter, specifically, is running his account. It probably is someone, I'm just not sure how it became her specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

indiana jones and the cool rectangle