Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fedex has been known to straight up lie about delivery status. It's happened to me several times. There's a good chance it was lost long ago or hasn't even left the warehouse.

If it does come, don't trust any bulging cans even if you think it's caused by freezing. Not worth the risk. Chewy should reimburse you for damaged items.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Rescue Toaster posted:

Due to weather my order (had some both wet and dry food) from chewy has been sitting on a Fedex truck for like, a week straight presumably freezing to -10F every night. If the cans burst that's obvious, but if they're only slightly bulged or whatnot will that still be safe? Or should I try to get chewy to replace them either way? Supposedly arriving tomorrow but they've said that like 4 days in a row.

Call/contact Chewy, let them know what's going on. Tell them that the order has been delayed multiple times, and that you can no longer trust the food to be safe should the order still arrive because of the weather conditions and what you presume would be unsafe/incorrect storage for the undelivered food items.

Chewy should help you out with this.

FedEx sucks, and I don't trust their tracking at all (and many of my packages come through the infamous Bloomington FedEx hub). If something keeps getting delayed, or the shipping status is otherwise continuously fucky, there's a good chance that they lost your package.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel a little better. :unsmith:

(I need straw instead of a blanket, but that’s coming sometime later this week. It’ll do for now.)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Rescue Toaster posted:

Due to weather my order (had some both wet and dry food) from chewy has been sitting on a Fedex truck for like, a week straight presumably freezing to -10F every night. If the cans burst that's obvious, but if they're only slightly bulged or whatnot will that still be safe? Or should I try to get chewy to replace them either way? Supposedly arriving tomorrow but they've said that like 4 days in a row.

a can that bulges or has a dent or rust should get replaced no matter what

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

bltzn posted:

Our very needy cat wakes up around 3-4pm and gets extremely demanding for attention, which makes getting work done pretty difficult. We don't really have scheduled play with him, so I'm thinking I should start doing it, but I'm not sure what the best time for it is in order to get him to wait patiently until we're finished work. Should we play with him after work so that he knows that he'll only get play time when we're away from our desks? Should we do it right when he wakes up to placate him until his dinner time?

I’ve heard to play before meal time, but I’m also not totally sure how to structure it or how often to put out kitty meals (we’re doing 3x/day currently). I think if you build a routine they might adjust their energy levels around it, our cats have definitely changed their schedule since they came home (but they were also younger then, idk).

I’d be interested if more people have suggestions on this, too! :3:

Pollyanna posted:

I feel a little better. :unsmith:

:kimchi: It looks great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No takers yet - maybe I should move it out from under the deck/stairs-platform? I chose that spot since it’s hidden and protected from snow, but maybe they’re having trouble finding it. Then again, I have no idea how feral cats would even identify it as a place to rest.

Camera might be worth a shot!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Pollyanna posted:

No takers yet - maybe I should move it out from under the deck/stairs-platform? I chose that spot since it’s hidden and protected from snow, but maybe they’re having trouble finding it. Then again, I have no idea how feral cats would even identify it as a place to rest.

Camera might be worth a shot!

Maybe try leaving some food in it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That actually makes me wonder what the difference is between a cat shelter, a raccoon shelter, and an opossum shelter. Either way, I do have leftover wet food…oh and when I get home I need to move it a little so it’s on even ground and also maybe figure out how to get the top insulating panel on cuz it won’t stick to the lid.

yes this is basically nicotine patches for cat butler withdrawal but consider this: shut up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aren't feral cats and cats in general generally pretty suspicious of environmental changes anyway? I would expect it to be a while before they're comfortable with it even if they know it's there, and they won't know its there until they stumble across it while exploring their range. And with the entrance hole being how it is, they might not even be aware they can push their way into it, right?

And yeah, when you posted that picture my immediate first thought was "Congrats on your new raccoon shelter", hah.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Maybe try leaving some food in it?

Catnip?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Howdy, cat crew! This question is more of a curiosity than looking for solutions. I'm a lifelong cat butler, currently we have five (which is three more than intended but I'm sure you've seen 16 and Pregnant).

One of the two new kittens (probably seven months old now) goes absolutely CRAZY when I have my speakerphone on or if I'm playing a video on my phone speaker has a single person talking with no other noise. It's almost like an overstimulation thing. Regardless of where she is in the house or what she's doing, she'll immediately run to me and quickly attempt to climb me. Ultimately she'll try to bite and latch onto my face really drat hard. It's *always* my face... She's succeeded once and she bit me so hard I had to pry her mouth open to get her off of me.

It doesn't feel aggressive (though it sounds very aggressive), she's not clawing when she does this and her body language is a wild mix of panic and curiosity. She doesn't do this when any other speakers are going, only my phone. My solution is to just not use my phone speaker in the house.

She's a very docile cat, though she does like to play a lot. Biting is not something she normally does (especially this hard). Any ideas what might be setting her off? Super weird stuff.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Will she still go for you if the phone isn't near you?
My at-a-glance take is her cat brain imprinted on a noise from a phone video scared her and climbing you stopped it, so now if she hears other phone videos starting she assumes the bad sound is gonna start and the only way to stop it is to climb up and bite your face.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Coolness Averted posted:

Will she still go for you if the phone isn't near you?
My at-a-glance take is her cat brain imprinted on a noise from a phone video scared her and climbing you stopped it, so now if she hears other phone videos starting she assumes the bad sound is gonna start and the only way to stop it is to climb up and bite your face.

yeah it happens regardless of where the phone is in proximity to me. that's an interesting though. i can't recall an incident where she was scared by the phone, i only recall the first incident where she managed to get me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Cat brains are really weird about fixating on something they perceive when something happens and then making an association between them. It's why negative reinforcement is heavily discouraged, they can be just as likely to associate you with the bad feeling and not associate being yelled at or chased with clawing furniture or attacking another cat -even if that's the only time it happened.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Coolness Averted posted:

Cat brains are really weird about fixating on something they perceive when something happens and then making an association between them. It's why negative reinforcement is heavily discouraged, they can be just as likely to associate you with the bad feeling and not associate being yelled at or chased with clawing furniture or attacking another cat -even if that's the only time it happened.

That's positive punishment, not 'negative reinforcement,' but you're otherwise correct. Punishment decreases behavior and reinforcement increases; positive means you present something and negative means you remove something. Negative reinforcement would be something like a headache going away after you take an Advil - you take Advil again next time your head hurts because it made something unpleasant go away last time you tried it.

You're otherwise totally correct: Positive punishment is difficult to use with cats, and ccomes with a cost. The first is that cats are preceptive and pick up on signals quickly. In other words, they soon learn that that punisher is only going to happen if you are there, and will start to do it when you're not visible. The other issue that in addition to operant consequential conditioning, you're doing some Pavlovian pairing conditioning, and associating yourself really strongly with whatever punisher you're trying to use (after all, it is only presented when YOU are there), whicch can hurt your relationship/rapport with your cat.

You can try double-sided tape on whatever it is they are scratching. Its still positive punishment, but doesn't cause the cat to startle, and doesn't require you to be present. However, if you go this route, provide lots and lots of other scratching opportunities like posts and cardboard, and give lots of rewards for using them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGZVphV4Pw

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I've made one. Instructions using a plastic tote, styrofoam cooler, and straw can be found all over the web. It's better to set it up even if it doesn't get used rather than feeling nervous about community cats every time it gets cold, in my opinion.

My family made about 4 of these for our ferals, and yeah it's just a plastic tub with a smaller tub inside, separated with styrofoam or hay, and 2 holes drilled into the sides. We cut up some planter pots and taped them into the holes to give them a little bit of a lip to help keep moisture out:

Several cats hopped in and started using them right away.

Pollyanna posted:

No takers yet -

Consider cutting a 2nd hole if you can, in one of the side walls on the opposite end from the 'main' hole. We tried making a box with just 1 hole to cut down on wind but we haven't seen any go in to it yet. Like others have said ferals probably put some value on having multiple escape routes.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

move and distraction seems to be so helpful for my more poo poo-stirring kitty for sure

the other one has been dealing with intermittent chronic diarrhea and blood after defecation basically since i got her. countless tests and near 1.5k later, plus a second opinion and the vets are still shrugging at me. she's otherwise fine but this is frustrating and scary. a friend of mine has a cat that's been dealing with this for years, same boat: tests, tests, nothing.

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Did I get lucky? My cat doesn't mind me clipping her nails when she sits on my lap. She tolerates about 3 before she leaves, then I can finish them slowly over the course of a day or two.

Does anyone else have a cat that isn't a complete shitlord when it comes to nail trims?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had cats at both ends of the extremes. They got personalities as varied as humans so you just happened to get a chill cat that doesn't mind her paws being touched.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Beep got neutered this morning, vet said he would be kinda sleepy for today but he's just been full on zoomie mode since he got home lol. Love this lil cat

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

cat posts.txt posted:

Did I get lucky? My cat doesn't mind me clipping her nails when she sits on my lap. She tolerates about 3 before she leaves, then I can finish them slowly over the course of a day or two.

Does anyone else have a cat that isn't a complete shitlord when it comes to nail trims?

I clip Pepper's claws by sitting cross legged and pulling her into my lap sitting person-style, then going snipsnipsnip on one paw, letting her go to eat a treat, grabbing her again to snip the next paw etc.

She purrs while I do it.

To be fair she was badly injured as a kitten and was handled all sorts of ways constantly while the vet fixed her up before I adopted to her, so she is extremely used to having anything done to her and just puts up with it. Can recommend adopting kitten from the vet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kullik posted:

Beep got neutered this morning, vet said he would be kinda sleepy for today but he's just been full on zoomie mode since he got home lol. Love this lil cat

Yeah that's pretty much every foster kitten when we get them fixed, lol. That said the females are always at least a bit out of it since their procedure is a bit more intensive.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

cat posts.txt posted:

tandy straight up spreads out his toes when i grab his feet. he also loves being washed but he's a shitlord in every other respect

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

We have both extremes. Licky girl doesn’t care at all as long as she’s comfortable, she’ll purr while we’re doing her claws.

Her sister is difficult. She hates her paws being touched and panics if we try to restrain her at all (including in ways she’s now okay with us handling her normally). We’ve had our cats nearly a year and outside of vet visits we’ve only been able to trim her claws ourselves twice, and she’s due again. :sigh: Our attempts to entice her with treats aren’t really working. She’s a lot more motivated by toys, but I’m not too sure how to combine that reward with an activity where I’m trying to handle her sharp, sharp paws…

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My cat struggles so hard to get her lil paw out of my grasp that I either have to hold it in an iron grip, which I’m sure is painful for her, or let go. She twists her entire body around and I’m too worried she’s going to get hurt so I let go. She plays me like a fiddle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of ours will fuss and squirm over any new body care procedure, the first couple times. After that her spirit breaks and she curls into a ball and buries her face in a blanket while we do what we need.

It is wayyyyy more effective than digging claws into my arm because it makes me feel like a cruel monster.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

My cat struggles so hard to get her lil paw out of my grasp that I either have to hold it in an iron grip, which I’m sure is painful for her, or let go. She twists her entire body around and I’m too worried she’s going to get hurt so I let go. She plays me like a fiddle

Yeah, my cats have always been a two person job to groom their nails so someone can scruff them as the other cuts. Otherwise they squirm like they know you'll release their paw rather than hurt them.
One even lets me touch his toes and expose his nails (on the front paws at least) if we're just cuddling, but the moment he sees a clipper come out he wants to move.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
We have one that lets me do two paws before she needs a break, but mostly just loudly complains the whole time. The former stray is fine with the vet trimming but won't let me do it. The young tuxedo is a vet-only trim with a chart that says she must be very drugged. Absolute terror.

A friend offered to help me with her once, and not only did she easily escape from the escape proof trim bag but she shredded both our arms in the process.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Tic was front-declawed by his previous owner, but is 100% fine with being upside down as long as two of his paws have something to push against. I roll up a blanket in my lap, grab him, flip him over, then wrap the blanket around his front legs while I trim his remaining claws. He aggressively purrs the entire time.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

cash crab posted:

move and distraction seems to be so helpful for my more poo poo-stirring kitty for sure

the other one has been dealing with intermittent chronic diarrhea and blood after defecation basically since i got her. countless tests and near 1.5k later, plus a second opinion and the vets are still shrugging at me. she's otherwise fine but this is frustrating and scary. a friend of mine has a cat that's been dealing with this for years, same boat: tests, tests, nothing.

finally ran a PCR, and it came back positive for three separate things, including giardia, which i kept insisting to the vet i thought she had. i luv 2 b right. she also has a cold, and a secondary infection stemming from the giardia.

what's super annoying is the last vet ignored me when i said i wanted to test for giardia, tested her for parvo instead (even though i mentioned they had both been tested already) and rolled my eyes at me when i said i couldn't afford a full blood panel and internal imaging. this could have been taken care of nearly two months ago. i feel like she missed out on some integral growing because of this.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I got a new fountain since my Catit kept overflowing despite months of troubleshooting and attempts to fix it, and now every morning I wake up and find their toy mice floating in the fountain.

It's very cute but also does make the fountain water get dirtier more quickly and makes me want to change out the fountain filter more quickly too. Is there any decent way to change this new behavior?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I'm away for work for three weeks and my petsitter sent me a picture of my normally somewhat suspicious (of strangers) cat fully lounging on her lap. That fickle traitor.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't see why it would be as long as you're not divulging any details about how you got the treatment.

I'm currently fostering an FIP+ cat who I had fostered previously. He was returned by his adoptive family when he got sick, and it was heartbreaking to see him just skin and bones because he was the sweetest kitten ever. He's one month from the end of the treatment and he's totally turned around:

Tito is the best cat ever and I'm glad to have helped saved him.

Just wanted to update on this guy, after ending FIP treatment and getting a clean bill of health he was adopted by a friend of mine who already has 2 gingers. He made friends with them in record time and is living the good life:

He's on the left, he turned out to be a real long-haired chonky boy. And he's still affectionate and goofy as hell :)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I moved with my cat to the US from Europe last year. She was prescribed Advantage Plus as a flea and heartworm treatment in her checkup here in Chicago, which I've now given the last of the dose of.

I find it so bizarre that I need a prescription to buy flea treatment for my stupid indoor cat, and that it costs like $25 per dose wtf.

Would the vet charge for re-prescribing? Also, are they fleecing me by recommending the Advantage Plus (selamectin and sarolaner)?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I think it might be that particular multi-treatment that's prescription only. Because most flea drops are over the counter -here in California at least.

IANAV but it would be worth asking them -especially if your cat is indoor only, about switching to an OTC version of advantage. It might be something like "We're being safe because a high percentage of cats brought from Europe have heartworms," or "Due to Chicago's weather and the particular mosquitos we have, your cat is likely to get infected, so I strongly recommend it."

It also can be a dog specialized vet who just happens to also accept cat business but treats them like tiny dogs, and something trivial like this is a better time to learn that.

E: Though I've also got a slightly jaundiced view, since my mom's new vet doesn't seem to know a lot about cats and makes some boneheaded calls like "Oh this male that was nuetered at 3 years old is overweight because he's 15 pounds, and that's when the chart says a cat is overweight!" when he's got a healthy bodyshape, and more muscle mass than a male who was fixed younger.
Also I've got an amazing cat specializing clinic down the street from me, but they're not accepting new patients for stuff like general check ups, so I'm stuck with less specialized vets. The clinic I go to is fine, but I just wish especially as my cats get older that I could stick with the cat vet.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 22, 2024

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks, definitely food for thought! The heartworm thing was new to me because it doesn't exist in (Northern) Europe at all, so it's not something you have to worry about.

So it might be them being extra cautious, or as you said being dog-oriented.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if your cat is an indoor only cat and they get fleas you house has other problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ded posted:

if your cat is an indoor only cat and they get fleas you house has other problems

this isn't entirely true, they can absolutely be tracked in on your shoes, etc.

though it's also true that you gotta solve the house flea problem now