Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anal prodeus. top kek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

DUSK > Amid Evil, haven't touched Ultrakill. HROT is also really good for scratching the boomer shooter itch too, rec'd that a bunch when I beat it last fall

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i love amid evil but a lot of enemies suck and theres no real shotgun

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

metroid dread (hard mode). still a really good game but theres some annoying poo poo in there. never wnt to fight another chozo soldier again lol. basic movement feels really good though and the bosses are fun

i feel like "never want to fight another chozo soldier again" is a feature not a bug, lol. absolute king move that nintendo just released a top 10 game for that year with barely any fanfare. metroid dread ftw.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

DUSK > Amid Evil, haven't touched Ultrakill. HROT is also really good for scratching the boomer shooter itch too, rec'd that a bunch when I beat it last fall

Ultrakill hits the dmc+quake vibe it sets out to do. Instead of switching to the best gun for the enemy like doom eternal you feel an incentive to mix up guns to keep your combo meter up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i feel like "never want to fight another chozo soldier again" is a feature not a bug, lol. absolute king move that nintendo just released a top 10 game for that year with barely any fanfare. metroid dread ftw.

oh definitely insanely sick tht the game went from not existing to kicking rear end in like three months and it is real good, ij ust wish there were fewer bosses, the unique ones are all real fun and th first time you fight chozo soldiers/chozo elites is cool, but then theres like four more of each of em lol. 9/10 game imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

oh definitely insanely sick tht the game went from not existing to kicking rear end in like three months and it is real good, ij ust wish there were fewer bosses, the unique ones are all real fun and th first time you fight chozo soldiers/chozo elites is cool, but then theres like four more of each of em lol. 9/10 game imo

i like the progression of the chozo bosses (iirc, none of them are exactly the same), but yeah, i still never want to fight one again, lol.

my biggest complaint with dread is that it's a little too much on rails compared to even super metroid for a lot of the game and it's a minor complaint.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i like the progression of the chozo bosses (iirc, none of them are exactly the same), but yeah, i still never want to fight one again, lol.

my biggest complaint with dread is that it's a little too much on rails compared to even super metroid for a lot of the game and it's a minor complaint.

yeh tbh it feels like a sequel to fusion more than super metroid/zero mission. more linear, guy giving you general directions, limited squence breaks available

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

agreed. dunno how you make a shooter like that sans shotgun but the wand that shoots planets was awesome

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeh tbh it feels like a sequel to fusion more than super metroid/zero mission. more linear, guy giving you general directions, limited squence breaks available

the perfect 2D metroid game definitely feels like it's on the horizon. lessons learned on Dread is a short hop.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

3) GTA V

Still pretty fun 10 years later, most of the jokes still hold up

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dead on dude lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

extremebuff posted:

isnt the mace a shotgun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

isnt the mace a shotgun

it shoots a volley after a delay, and its powerful, but the projectiles are slow and any delay sucks. if you make a classic fps a hitscan shotgun that feels OP is kind of a must

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the mace is the best weapon but it still lacks oomph. swinging it should do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk1syuf5lo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol still amazing that a room full of people got together and said "yea that sword definitely makes that sound"

none of them played the dreamcast/ps2 games, drat shame

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

4. Mega Man Zero 2 - B rank. Generally for Wounded Warrior. Good bosses in this, level design on the whole is more interesting than 1 but it's also got some real bullshit. Hate the grappling hook feel. Lots of off blind jump spike pits. I'll play zero 3 eventually.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

07) blue stinger (dreamcast)

super janky and definitely has its down moments but i liked it overall. very stupid and charming. the people who made this would go on to make illbleed and this is kinda like a somewhat more reigned in, traditional flavor of that. that being said it's still weird as hell just not as devoted to being in your face ridiculous like illbleed. its good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Beat doom 32x resurrection. Wanted to test it out before my buddy tries it this weekend. Was only going to play for a few minutes but it was so buttery smooth.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i just play doom on my computer rather than any of the arcane console ports from the 90s because my parents were not agent orange survivors

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_32X:_Resurrection

This is a modern port. 32x doom did not have coop, or run full screen, or have the bosses, or more maps,or run at 20+ fps, etc

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

aha, wait until you see what the modern pc can do

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

3. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PC), 1/18

Enjoyed the hell out of this. The story outside of the immediate plot with your own pilot was meandering and boring throughout much of it, but it's hard to complain when the gameplay is in top form for the series. I went with the F-22 for the final set of missions, and one of my only other major gripes was that the aircraft tree seemed ultimately underutilized. I'm used to gaining a decent amount of planes/upgrades, but even with pulling in a ton of rewards from missions, it still felt like I barely got 20% of the overall tree unlocked. Not sure if I love it enough to NG+ to get all the extra stuff

The part with your radar being all messed up from the communications satellites going down was cool, but jesus why did they make it take so long to identify enemies. I felt like the fuckin ships in Tie Fighter could inspect vehicles faster than I could figure out friend from foe at times, and even at an A10 basically floating motionless above targets with them in my sights, I would still have to make another approach. The whole thing felt way too fuckin random, and getting yelled out for shooting down choppers before identifying them was annoying

I'm still surprised they haven't remastered or even just rereleased the PS2 games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I'm still surprised they haven't remastered or even just rereleased the PS2 games

Theres a release of AC5 that was only ever made available as a preorder bonus for AC7, they never put it up for separate sale or download lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol what the gently caress

You'd think these game publishers and poo poo who can make so much money would be better at bringing in the easy bucks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Have you played Project Wingman? I liked it quite a lot - a little more so than AC7 even, tbh.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Theres a release of AC5 that was only ever made available as a preorder bonus for AC7, they never put it up for separate sale or download lol

What the gently caress

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

lol hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was also console exclusive. PS4 got AC5 and Xbox got AC6.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

In Training posted:

lmao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

PS4 stays winning. Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Namco ftw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

In Training posted:

Me to namco:

Major Isoor posted:

Have you played Project Wingman? I liked it quite a lot - a little more so than AC7 even, tbh.

not yet! I've heard good things about it and this reminds me I'll have to try it. Is it pretty much "Ace Combat But Not" or does it try to be its own thing

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Good soup! posted:

not yet! I've heard good things about it and this reminds me I'll have to try it. Is it pretty much "Ace Combat But Not" or does it try to be its own thing

It's the former, IMO. However it does try and differ in some ways. e.g. no checkpoints in missions - you've gotta do it all in one hit. TBH I actually didn't mind this - I thought it would be a pain, since AC7 with no checkpoints sure would be. But it actually wasn't too bad - just made it that little bit more tense, at times

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man, no checkpoints would be tough, there were about two or three missions in 7 that I was thankful to have them. A few of those missions would let you get super far along, like 15-20 minutes, and they still wouldn't throw you a lifeboat

It does add a nice challenge most of the time, though, so if it just scratches the AC itch, I'll have to check it out during a sale

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
2. Astro's Playroom (Platinum Trophy)