Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

*Somebody speaks in a foreign language for 2 seconds*
Me: Should I know what he's saying? There's no subtitle....
...a minute goes by and there is very much a conversation going on I should understand...
Me: GODDAMMIT

Extra fun when you're watching something artsy fartsy enough that they have intentionally unsubbed foreign dialogue because you're supposed to get the gist of what they're saying by using your ~fEeLiNgS~ Andor :argh:

Corb3t posted:

Bazarr is another great Plex companion app to have running on your server. You can link up an OpenSubtitles and Subscene account to automatically pull down subtitles as they get added to your library.

I see from the UI banner on the page there's a toggle for Forced, I assume I can filter by this and only grab Forced subs? I don't usually like watching with subs except for non-English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Extra fun when you're watching something artsy fartsy enough that they have intentionally unsubbed foreign dialogue because you're supposed to get the gist of what they're saying by using your ~fEeLiNgS~ Andor :argh:

I see from the UI banner on the page there's a toggle for Forced, I assume I can filter by this and only grab Forced subs? I don't usually like watching with subs except for non-English.

Yep, you can have it automatically filter and only download forced subtitles.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Complex home theatre setups are cool because on movie night with your spouse you can start the movie, and then two minutes in you can pause it and turn to them and say "does it sound right to you? are you hearing anything coming out of the rears?" and then they go "it sounds fine to me, i don't know what you're talking about" and then you go "hang on, one sec" and you walk over to the rears and then you start the movie again and you're not hearing anything and then you pause it and you go "gently caress it's not working right hold on" and you start going into the plex settings to see if it's outputting the right signal and then you pull out your phone to look up how to show the diagnostic screen on your AVR settings and your spouse says "it honestly sounds fine to me, let's just watch it" but you spent thousands of dollars on all this stuff and you secretly like loving around with it more than you like watching movies anyways and in the end you say "hang on i need to go see if i can find a different release of this, it should only take about 15 minutes" and your spouse ends up watching Love is Blind on their laptop

Related

https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/interactive/2024/ken-fritz-greatest-stereo-auction-cost/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dudes rock

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Dudes rock

Might want to keep reading, he basically enslaved his entire family to build his audio shrine and disinherited his oldest son when he wouldn't let him listen to it and finally got told to gently caress off.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Takes No Damage posted:

Might want to keep reading, he basically enslaved his entire family to build his audio shrine and disinherited his oldest son when he wouldn't let him listen to it and finally got told to gently caress off.

I read the whole thing.

Dudes. Rock.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I have a strange Plex issue, which is more of an annoyance than anything else but I'd like to resolve it.

Setup: Plex is running on a Synology NAS within a docker container, and works perfectly 99% of the time. Playback is on an LG TV using the built-in application.

Problem: When watching some Linux ISOs the ability to rewind/fastfwd/skip does not work. This issue mainly seems to occur on British ISOs, but i can't see any common factor between the problematic files.

Note, i can use the same files on the Plex web player or on the iOS app and this problem does not occur.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have seen this on a similar class of files on the TiVo plex app (same ancient smart TV code base I believe)

I have found that if I pause, then skip back 10 sec with the directional arrow, most of the time it restarts the stream properly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qwijib0 posted:

I have seen this on a similar class of files on the TiVo plex app (same ancient smart TV code base I believe)

I have found that if I pause, then skip back 10 sec with the directional arrow, most of the time it restarts the stream properly.

Same problem and solution when I ran it on the fire stick

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.techradar.com/pro/this-...for-2024-launch

Some of us need this, "ceramic cartridge with a 10,000TB capacity looks like - system that can store data for 5000+ years."

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

Gave this a try and no dice. Trying to pause and skip back 10 seconds has no effect, it just jumps back to the current time. Any form of skipping, whether paused or not has no effect.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

Gave this a try and no dice. Trying to pause and skip back 10 seconds has no effect, it just jumps back to the current time. Any form of skipping, whether paused or not has no effect.

Any correlation between the problem files and transcoding? If working files are direct play and these files are being transcoded, depending on your settings you might be overwriting the transcoded files too quickly to have a history to rewind back to.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Any correlation between the problem files and transcoding? If working files are direct play and these files are being transcoded, depending on your settings you might be overwriting the transcoded files too quickly to have a history to rewind back to.

Nope everything is Direct Play. In fact if i force it to transcode then seeking works ok but causes lots of buffering.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
https://www.lowpass.cc/p/plex-store-movies-tv-shows-tvod-vod

Knew this was coming since they started putting the lifetime pass on perpetual sale. They're gearing up for a major pivot. :smith:

It was fun while it lasted.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

https://www.lowpass.cc/p/plex-store-movies-tv-shows-tvod-vod

Knew this was coming since they started putting the lifetime pass on perpetual sale. They're gearing up for a major pivot. :smith:

It was fun while it lasted.

I've been running Jellyfin in parallel for a couple of years now. It's getting decent enough to compete with plex from 2021 or so. Which is good enough I guess.

https://github.com/luigi311/JellyPlex-Watched works real well to sync watched/unwatched between the two so switching back and forth isn't so painful.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The word redesign always sends a shudder through me. It's never a good word. :(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
They've had the same UI forever and it would be nice to see that change.

Are there any other sources on this? I've never heard of that and seems odd they make you subscribe to find out more.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Emby as an alternative removed their 45 device lifetime option, so all options to expand past the lifetime 25 devices are now subscriptions.

They recently announced they would have "exciting news in the coming days" which almost certainly will include the long in development 4.8 release being pushed to stable, but could come along with other changes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bonzo posted:

They've had the same UI forever and it would be nice to see that change.

Change for the sake of change is unwanted by most people who are using something as a tool, especially when that tool is pretty much feature complete and mature for the job they're doing with it. There is nothing I can think of that really warrants a full UI redesign for the functionality I use on plex and it's likely to be a huge disruption and hassle for the lower tech family members many of us share our servers with. If it's bad enough it may be the time to switch them to Jellyfin.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I just fired up the Jellyfin server flatpak on my desktop and it... looks pretty similar to Plex? I use Tailscale to remote watch anyway, so I'm not really getting much out of the Plex lifetime outside of transcoding. I tried turning on hardware transcoding and tried to get it to use my 3080 to take 4K down to 1080p and it struggled, but that's probably because I don't have jellyfin-ffmpeg and christ only knows what GPU access the flatpak has, even when I set it up for acceleration in Flatseal.

Anyway, just dicking around made me confident that when Plex finishes selling out, it'll take about an hour to move my actual Plex machine over to Jellyfin.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

I am ride or die on plex at this point, I'm not teaching multiple elderly family members new software and interfaces.

relevant from a year ago, the last time plex was "dying"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

relevant from a year ago, the last time plex was "dying"

You seem to think this is different.........we're discussing the exact same slide we were discussing then, and I don't think anyone thought it was going to be immediate.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Do either emby or jellyfin have a Watch Together feature like Plex? That’s probably the most important feature for my immediate family.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Do either emby or jellyfin have a Watch Together feature like Plex? That’s probably the most important feature for my immediate family.

It's called "SyncPlay" on Jellyfin. Dunno about Emby.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I run Jellyfin in parallel, but there’s no way I’m switching unless they add smart collections like Plex. Love me some smart collections.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Update: Got it running and using the 1080 to transcode. So yeah an hour.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren: DISCLAIMER: I'm trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery :siren: :siren: :siren:

Jellyfin may be interacting poorly with ZFS, and maybe btrfs.

Somebody last week posted in the issue I've been working with Jellyfin that there's a potential tremendous bottleneck related to the page size on the underlying filesystem interacting spectacularly badly with sqlite. The poster mentioned ZFS specifically, but it's possible my btrfs has the same issue. The full writeup and fix is in issue 2600.

You might not see much of a problem if you're using a Real Computer That Is Capable Of Doing Real Things. But still, it might be worth looking into: no sense throwing CPU cycles away for no reason.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 19, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

It's called "SyncPlay" on Jellyfin. Dunno about Emby.

Seems like to be abandoned. :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: DISCLAIMER: I'm trying to do all of these things on a calculator from 2010 that needs to run on a D cell battery :siren: :siren: :siren:

Jellyfin may be interacting poorly with ZFS, and maybe btrfs.

Somebody last week posted in the issue I've been working with Jellyfin that there's a potential tremendous bottleneck related to the page size on the underlying filesystem interacting spectacularly badly with sqlite. The poster mentioned ZFS specifically, but it's possible my btrfs has the same issue. The full writeup and fix is in issue 2600.

You might not see much of a problem if you're using a Real Computer That Is Capable Of Doing Real Things. But still, it might be worth looking into: no sense throwing CPU cycles away for no reason.

That may be an/the issue, but whether it is actually the one or just another symptom (of poor threadiness?) is absolutely an open question. I have 24 cores assigned to my VM with plex and jellyfin and JF has basically never gotten over 100% on a library scan (usually at 68%) while plex will happily consume 1600% or more routinely when doing these types of operations. This would be fine if it just took longer to do background tasks, but what's happening is devastating interactive usage from the web interface and all clients.

This looks like some of the same: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/6906

While any of this nonsense is happening Plex is absolutely fine and responsive.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

That may be an/the issue, but whether it is actually the one or just another symptom (of poor threadiness?) is absolutely an open question. I have 24 cores assigned to my VM with plex and jellyfin and JF has basically never gotten over 100% on a library scan (usually at 68%) while plex will happily consume 1600% or more routinely when doing these types of operations. This would be fine if it just took longer to do background tasks, but what's happening is devastating interactive usage from the web interface and all clients.

This looks like some of the same: https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/6906

While any of this nonsense is happening Plex is absolutely fine and responsive.

Gosh darn it, now I'm going to have to set up Jellyfin again and do more tests. I reckon my weird setup is just about ideal for making this problem show up in a super obvious way.

I did verify that at least the recursive directory walk code isn't triggering thread exhaustion, though. Thread exhaustion may be happening, but if it is, it's not due to directory depth.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I'm really resisting moving away from Plex even though it's increasingly time to at least start preparing.

But I loving HATE dealing with the dipshit morons with god complexes that run open source projects. You don't have to be a douche to eveyone, dude. You don't have to.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

Change for the sake of change is unwanted by most people who are using something as a tool, especially when that tool is pretty much feature complete and mature for the job they're doing with it. There is nothing I can think of that really warrants a full UI redesign for the functionality I use on plex and it's likely to be a huge disruption and hassle for the lower tech family members many of us share our servers with. If it's bad enough it may be the time to switch them to Jellyfin.

This tbh

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It was me. I finally, after 8 years of use, bought a lifetime pass on Black Friday so of course now they poo poo the bed.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Bonzo posted:

It was me. I finally, after 8 years of use, bought a lifetime pass on Black Friday so of course now they poo poo the bed.

The bed was shat for years, they just put a clean sheet over it. It worked for a while but, seepage.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Can I just.. Not update?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
So is the tl;dr here that nothing ruining playback and transcoding of my :filez: has been announced yet so I shouldn't be wasting worries on this yet?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Splinter posted:

So is the tl;dr here that nothing ruining playback and transcoding of my :filez: has been announced yet so I shouldn't be wasting worries on this yet?

I think you've got it about right.

We all like Plex, and there's a consensus that it's going to get crappy somehow, so we're all just waiting for that shoe to drop.

Nothing to realistically worry about just yet. Maybe this won't even be the thing that kills it. But most of us seem to think that *something* will, someday.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Nettle Soup posted:

Can I just.. Not update?

The curve on these things is usually, yes, at first, and then as tech moves on that becomes more of a sacrifice until you're just tethered to a software corpse. Unfortunately Plex is very insistent on keeping itself connected to home base which could complicate or speed up the decline based on the company's future decisions.

Ultimately it's software of convenience and when it stops being that it is time to move on unless you have 'vested interests'.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For like the last few years there's always been something added to Plex that seems to put everyone in a state of doom and gloom, but so far none of those "features" have done anything egregious enough to make me abandon the platform. Maybe it'll happen eventually, but I'm again apathetic to this recent bit of news.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I think this is just another revenue stream, just like the ad supported videos they have now. They are a business that is looking to generate new revenue. I'm not worried.