Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I keep telling him it's weird and asking him why he's doing it, but he's too busy nibbling to notice. And we give him wet food because of his gluten allergy. Which I still feel silly typing out, gluten allergies in people aren't even real but apparently it's real in this dog

Gluten intolerance is absolutely a thing; just ask people with Celiac. Maybe it's a bit imprecise to call it a gluten allergy, but it communicates the concept pretty well.

And for what it's worth, my dog has some kind of grain-related issue, which might well be a reaction to gluten. I've always just said he's allergic to grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
My girlfriend has a golden retriever that nibbles like you describe. She isn't eating the thing, and isn't trying to. It is almost like she is wiping her front teeth or suckling. She does it mostly to her favorite toy, but if you pet her long enough and she gets excited, she'll do it too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Gluten intolerance is absolutely a thing; just ask people with Celiac. Maybe it's a bit imprecise to call it a gluten allergy, but it communicates the concept pretty well.

And for what it's worth, my dog has some kind of grain-related issue, which might well be a reaction to gluten. I've always just said he's allergic to grain.

He was just itching himself like crazy all the time, the doctor said we should try switching to wet food because it might be a gluten allergy and I was like, "sure pal, should we get him some avocado toast and a drat safe space too while we're at it?" but we tried it and it worked

Boot and Rally posted:

My girlfriend has a golden retriever that nibbles like you describe. She isn't eating the thing, and isn't trying to. It is almost like she is wiping her front teeth or suckling. She does it mostly to her favorite toy, but if you pet her long enough and she gets excited, she'll do it too.

And that dog hasn't died or exploded or anything?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Oh ooh I saw this on Instagram. It's called "fleaing", you have fleas and your dog is grooming you. It's love.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
The technical term for this type of nibbling is "corn-cobbing". :colbert:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

And that dog hasn't died or exploded or anything?

No, but she did run into a fence at full speed the other day.

It was one of those orange temporary construction fences. She was fine.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 15, 2024

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Gripweed posted:

Is my dog dying?

My concern whenever Coco is not actively being entertained or in absolutely perfect comfort

Edit: hers too, generally

Clowner fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 15, 2024

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Meet Archie, our new Bernese Mountain Dog puppy!

It was a long drive to get him so he was tuckered by the whole ordeal.

His dad was 110 pounds of love and the sweetest thing. Can’t wait to see this little guy grow into his giant paws.

He’s my second puppy. I’ve forgotten how much work they are (my last dog was 11.5 when he passed in September). But all the lessons from my last dog are flooding back.

It’s extra tough right now with it being -10 F out. In a week it’ll definitely be easier.

Is nipping just a redirection issue? He’s mouthy as hell but not usually in a bad way. Every time he’s getting a little too much I’ll grab a toy to then play/chew/tug on.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wish I could know what Newton’s past is because every day I find weird stuff. I didn’t teach him this.

https://i.imgur.com/zFo7lAp.mp4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

i own every Bionicle posted:

I wish I could know what Newton’s past is because every day I find weird stuff. I didn’t teach him this.

And you're not going to scritch his belly? Apollo fuckin' loves belly rubs and inner thigh rubs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Crooked Booty posted:

The technical term for this type of nibbling is "corn-cobbing". :colbert:

But they're right...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He wants a stummy rub!
DO IT, COWARD!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This is him literally opening up for you and it's cool and good.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh man, Bernies are my #1 favorite dog. I just don't have the space or hair tolerance for 100+lb of black st Bernard.

He'll grow into the paws, but they'll still be huge.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thwomp posted:

Is nipping just a redirection issue? He’s mouthy as hell but not usually in a bad way. Every time he’s getting a little too much I’ll grab a toy to then play/chew/tug on.

Yup just keep pointing him elsewhere

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

This motion reminds me a little of my dog, when I adopted him, I had no idea if certain things were going to bother him or not. Some dogs don't like having their feet messed with, so, whenever it was wet outside and I had to dry his feet off when we got back inside, I would always go in the same order of paws, thinking that he would at least know it's over soon if he hates it. Well, he was ultimately fine with being dried off, but the secondary effect of using the same order is that now when it's time to dry the hind paws, he lifts each one, in order, just an inch or two off the ground, so you can grab and dry it easier.

Bonus learned drying behavior is that he learned that if he's wet, I'm going to tell him to stop and wait in the hallway, before getting on the carpet. Now I don't even have to tell him, he just does it on his own if he perceives that he's wet. I phrase it like that because sometimes he gets confused, if it's really cold (but dry) outside, he'll stop in the hallway on his drying area. My guess is he's confusing the sensation of his paws being cold with his paws being wet (understandable, I'm sure his paws are indeed cold most of the time that they're wet).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That is extremely wholesome, and makes sense because it is in fact impossible to feel wetness even for humans, we just know that something is wet because of texture/temperature differences.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

my dog does this. he wants belly rubs.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Maybe you guys didn’t play with sound or maybe my joke wasn’t funny

But yea Newton flattered me by allowing half belly rubs after a couple weeks. I’ve only gotten the full inversion once or twice though. Don’t worry, I always oblige.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah if you're just looking in a browser there's no sound, you have to open the video by itself in a new tab to your line, which is admittedly funny.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that’s normal as hell, I wouldn’t leave them alone unsupervised just yet but licking and nibbling is regular friendly behaviour.

We usually get the opposite behaviour because one of our dogs is a little old man now, he just lies there while one of our cats chews on his ears and licks his face.

Thanks man. Yeah I've kept an eye on the cat afterwards and she seems totally fine. That night she expressed her disinterest by moving away and the pup backed off, today nothing happened other than them doing their usual morning run around.

Here's the pup and cat tax:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Maybe you guys didn’t play with sound or maybe my joke wasn’t funny

But yea Newton flattered me by allowing half belly rubs after a couple weeks. I’ve only gotten the full inversion once or twice though. Don’t worry, I always oblige.

it takes a few clicks to get sound for me so I didn't think to do it until you posted this, I lol'd

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Umbra's go to move whenever I pet her is to roll completely on her back and present the belly. It's adorable and sweet but I picked out a tall dog specifically so I wouldn't have to bend over to pet them all the time.

10/10

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

owned

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Dog thread I need some help. We lost Stella, our 13 year old dog last summer and it was terrible. Recently we dog-sat for some friends and it was really great having a dog in the house again, so we decided to start looking for rescues. We found a nice 4 year old dog for rehoming on Kijiji. We went to meet him and he seemed really nice. Clearly underexercised and not well trained, but friendly and sociable for sure. But I feel like something is holding me back from pulling the trigger. Stella was my first dog and it just feels like maybe I'm not ready for another one, or the fact that I didn't feel the same connection with the new guy means it's not the right move. I remember being all-in on Stella right away when we met her even though the situation was pretty much the same. I don't know why I was so sure back then and I'm not now. I need to tell his family if we're going to take him or not. Any advice?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dogs are family, and you've just lost a member of yours.
You might enjoy other people but it's not the same, it's ok to not be ready for another one yet

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It took me a year to stop looking over my shoulder in the car to check on her after Kedah was gone. Took another year before i felt like i would be able to handle a dog again. Take your time you may not be quite ready yet

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If it's not hell yeah it should be no, right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's up to you to decide, but a new friend can help you through the grieving process too. I still get weepy over Darla every day even though Gabriel's been with me now for six months, and I feel I'd definitely have been a lot worse off if he hadn't been here.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I honestly felt similar with Newton when I first got him. I watched people’s dogs and I knew I was ready for a dog and I knew I liked Newton and that him being skiddish around me was nothing personal. But I wasn’t sure about it for a while even after I got him. Like he wasn’t my dog. Like I was going to decide at any minute that having a dog wasn’t for me and I was going to bring him back.

Now 6 weeks in and I love him to death. I’m so glad I did it and I feel so lucky I found him. I’m away for work for a few days and he’s with my parents (they love him too of course) and I can think about nothing else but getting home and giving him a long walk and a treat and lots of pets.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Talked to my wife some more, shared your comments, thanks everyone. We're gonna go for it! At the end of the day and I don't think there's any way having a nice dog move in with us could do anything but improve our lives.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Best of luck with the new dog.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

It's up to you to decide, but a new friend can help you through the grieving process too. I still get weepy over Darla every day even though Gabriel's been with me now for six months, and I feel I'd definitely have been a lot worse off if he hadn't been here.

I agree with this. Perhaps you're just subconsciously worried about losing another friend. I can entirely understand that, but I'd ask you if the pain of losing them is more important to you than the time you spent together?...

Personally, while we would be devastated at the loss of our pup, I know we would likely get another dog right away, simply because not having one in our life at all seems like it would be much harder for us now. Having a dog has become such a huge part of our family and relationship that I think we would both feel, kinda lonely I guess.

When our dog was at the Vets for surgery the other month, the house just felt so empty without her.

Edit; just saw you decided to go with the dog! Great decision I think and I hope you keep us all updated and share pictures etc..im sure you've made the right call.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

prom candy posted:

Talked to my wife some more, shared your comments, thanks everyone. We're gonna go for it! At the end of the day and I don't think there's any way having a nice dog move in with us could do anything but improve our lives.

Congratulations, and we look forward to pictures and hearing more about him!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I talked with the current owner and she said they've been free feeding him. I'm not really into that idea so planning on switching to set meals. I've never had a dog that didn't just devour their food when it was set down. Do we just take the food away if he doesn't touch it after a few minutes and try again at the next feeding time?

Oh and of course dog tax:

prom candy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 20, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not all dogs need set meals and if the dog is fine weight wise and healthy free feeding isn’t a terrible thing especially since that’s what the dog is already used to doing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Esp when you take him home he might be offput by the change in venue and not want to eat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's wrong with free feeding, anyways?
The only time it was an issue for us is when mice got into the house and he'd leave his kibble over night, an issue that was solved by putting a lid on the kibble at bed time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some dogs are greedy assholes who will just eat forever I guess? Would also be kind of gross if it’s not kibble since the wet food would just be hanging out getting stinky and inedible.

We free feed our dogs kibble without issues so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's free feeding when you just leave the bowl out until they eat it, or...?