Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Dissociation is something I find very interesting because I feel like I dont experience it much at al, at least not as a coping mechanism. Closest thing I experience is occasionally zoning out or hyperfixating on something.

Most of the time I feel unbearably present when I’m very upset or stressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

MRIs kick rear end imo because it's like an industrial-style white noise machine you get to relax inside of

Al! posted:

magnetic hugbox
omg i never realized why i love being in a mri

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i remember wishing America had those little Japanese motels that're light the size of a submarine bunkbed as a kid so i could be in that little spot and i still do and don't really know why i just do

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

40 times? i've been listening to the nier ost for 15 years

when i was getting really into synths early last year, to self-teach how to play keyboard I pretty much exclusively practiced melodies from the replicant and automata osts the first couple months I was learning. first song I was able to competently play (albeit with one hand and only partial chords) was song of the ancients and i remember feeling so excited when I was finally able to get through it without tripping up :3:

naturally it was the only thing I'd play for hours a day that entire next week, since I was having too much fun going through it again and again. then i'd choose a new song I wanted to do and would repeat that one on loop for days on end, then do it all over again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FirstnameLastname posted:

i remember wishing America had those little Japanese motels that're light the size of a submarine bunkbed as a kid so i could be in that little spot and i still do and don't really know why i just do

suddenly realizing why i spent so much time in a sleeping bag just hopping and sliding around the house

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
being cozy is good for the soul

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I would like a small box inside of a large box. I want the large box but I also want the small box for when the large box is too big.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

nice obelisk idiot posted:

If you don't mind me saying so fnln you are a very astute person

ty btw

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

you are welcome in this thread, friend

tokin opposition posted:

thanks FNLN, this helped

im glad :)
that stuff can be hard, it's hard to catch it but it's v. nice feeling to get out of it. moving around and making noise and stuff usually helps i forgot that. stuff like dancing is prolly one of the best things for it, making faces like if you don't do that stuff, then your brain misses it and won't trigger the associated emotional responses in full strength u just won't notice
stuff like that it reminds you brain which stuff is actually you and not on your mind, then your ability to regulate your diet and activity, sleep all gets easier. it works like a feedback loop in either direction p much

ime disassociation spiral stuff is mostly set off by contextual triggers so if you're where you've been feeling that way snd it keeps happening try changing the lighting, moving to a different spot with different posture, music etc. can all help reduce that
dont get discouraged if you get stuck or slip backward, just try to get yourself going and do a little better than the day before & it gets better `_`

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

unwantedplatypus posted:

I would like a small box inside of a large box. I want the large box but I also want the small box for when the large box is too big.

op gets it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically just have a closet sized bedroom and bedroom sized closet like a Futurama robot but on its side

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i would love to sleep in my very small closet but i dunno if there's enough air in there for that

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Whirling posted:

i would love to sleep in my very small closet but i dunno if there's enough air in there for that

i have to keep my bedroom door slightly open so the cats dont claw at it, so i would be fine

011824_3
Jan 19, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Jan 19, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

011824_3 posted:

I get whatever I want for an entire lifetime Autists

Considering how much money you blow with no supervision on this site I'm guessing trust fund?

011824_3
Jan 19, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Jan 19, 2024

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
welcome to cspam

011824_4
Jan 19, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jan 20, 2024

011824_4
Jan 19, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

011824_6
Jan 19, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

being in a pod ftw. sometimes i wish i lived on a boat then i remember theyre smelly and wet

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

unwantedplatypus posted:

Dissociation is something I find very interesting because I feel like I dont experience it much at al, at least not as a coping mechanism. Closest thing I experience is occasionally zoning out or hyperfixating on something.

Most of the time I feel unbearably present when I’m very upset or stressed

I'm pretty sure I have ASD - spoke with my therapist about it and she seems to agree (she mentioned it to me a couple months ago but I'm obstinate). My brother pretty much needs a caregiver to function (def autistic). I think one of my sisters is autistic, but I'm being kind of guarded about this whole thing.

I used to disassociate a LOT, normally it would happen when an adult would give me a Talk. For me it would be like the world turned into a cartoon - everything in the background flat and static, with the person talking to me moving above the background like an animation cell.

Anyway that's my ted talk.

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jan 20, 2024

Jan 20, 2024

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Anyone here have autism?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
nope

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

LuxuryLarva posted:

Anyone here have autism?

No I'm autistic

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I have 2

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Autism has me

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Went to a bar for the first time since covid

Put in my vibes to block out most of the noise, had a nice time :)

Jan 20, 2024

Somebody has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Jan 20, 2024

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ProfessorBooty posted:

For me it would be like the world turned into a cartoon - everything in the background flat and static, with the person talking to me moving above the background like an animation cell.

I do not know how to translate these words into a subjective experience. I suspect that you don’t mean the world literally appears two dimensional. You probably also aren’t just describing being focused on the person talking to you during a conversation

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
What happens with dissociation is that brain processes stop cohering correctly, as there is a stimulus or process going on that is ungrounding one from a more integrated experience of consciousness in some way. Some processes freeze up, some things become hypersensitive, etc. Have you ever watched a long movie in a theater and you need to sort of get your bearings afterwards? Or been told some bad news and you just feel numb in the moment but process it later? That's mild dissociation.

So like soldiers may describe becoming like a pair of eyeballs, and can fail to understand things that don't have the quality of an order or a survival task. Their brain has adapted to surviving in combat conditions that way, because there is a lot of noise and they are focused on visual threats, and their stress hormones are cutting off sensation to the body. Someone who has faced persistent unavoidable distress with no solution or task involved may instead tend to disintegrate and things feel unreal.

On the shallow end of the pool it's like being kind of numb after working in an office all day and needing to get some stimulation. Then there's stuff associated with transient anxiety. Then you have dissociative disorder territory, like simple PTSD, then depersonalization/derealization/complex trauma, and on the extreme end something like dissociative identity disorder.

e: note the dissociative spectrum as I outlined is not burden of suffering- simple ptsd can of course be extremely intense and more complex trauma can be more like constriction than obvious suffering per se

nice obelisk idiot has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Jan 20, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
complex dissociative symptomologies suck incredible rear end but theyre absolutely as surreal as described and while mine did not involve the world becoming animé (during crisis it was more like the world became as viewed through a small crt television) thats a completely believable one

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
as a cptsd haver, I experienced dissociation as a feeling of watching myself do things, especially in "stressful" situations (situations that I realized later were in fact stressful for me, even if I didn't register it as stressful as it was happening at the time). For me dissociation was usually triggered by dealing with some kind of authority figure, somebody who would get my blood pumping, my heart pounding, my adrenaline surging. it's like my perspective would float up to the ceiling and I would watch myself saying and doing things automatically. I wouldn't have any volition in the situation - everything happened like it was a script laid out well in advance. I said things that "I'", the disembodied perspective, knew "I", the actual physical meat husk, shouldn't say, and did things that "I" shouldn't do - should being measured against what would be good for my long-term physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. I find it difficult to remember what actually happened during dissociative episodes. There was always emotional fallout that I experienced later, after the event.

I didn't even recognize these episodes as such until I talked about it with a therapist. It was just weird but regular stuff that had always happened to me. I haven't had one for years now and I definitely don't miss them.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Ohtori Akio posted:

complex dissociative symptomologies suck incredible rear end but theyre absolutely as surreal as described and while mine did not involve the world becoming animé (during crisis it was more like the world became as viewed through a small crt television) thats a completely believable one

I understand you're not being literal but it wasn't the world turning into a cartoon, it was non-person objects losing depth and becoming static, while the person's features, while also kind of flat, were moving in the "foreground". A lot of people say it's like watching a television, yeah, kind of similar. I actually feel a little ashamed (I know I shouldn't) that I was 'hiding' my executive functions but still forcing some part of my brain to experience it without me, I don't remember what was said, just the visuals. I know this isn't how it works, but when I finally get fired for being an emotional wreck of an engineer, maybe I can pursue my neurology degree then I'll have a better idea the physiology of what's happening.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

there you have it. CRT's are still winning over LCD's in 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

there you have it. CRT's are still winning over LCD's in 2024

playing smash on my symptomology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

012024_2
Jan 21, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Jan 21, 2024