Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

there's a fake Trump quote about Republicans being the dumbest group of voters, supposedly from a People magazine interview he did in the early-mid 1990s. he didn't actually say it in that interview but I imagine he might've said it in private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JAnon posted:

there's a fake Trump quote about Republicans being the dumbest group of voters, supposedly from a People magazine interview he did in the early-mid 1990s. he didn't actually say it in that interview but I imagine he might've said it in private

i mean he says a much about the evangelicals and he loving hates that his base are a bunch of trog morons boat liner store owners who are "poor". trump desperatly wants to be obama where if he wants to could dinner with most celebrities and other popular rich folks

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Grammarchist posted:

Robert Caro's series on LBJ is really infuriating during the parts where he covers the conservative coalition during the New/Fair Deal Era. Conservative senators, especially in the South, could get away with anything as long as they kept Civil Rights and other progressive bills at bay. This allowed them to control committees through seniority and simply amassing experience with parliamentary tricks, patronage, and networking. First-term liberals were harder to keep in office, because their voters expected immediate results and tended to lose enthusiasm if they failed to produce or compromised.

It puts things into perspective when you realize just how much FDR and Truman failed to accomplish, given how we think of them today. It does make LBJ's power plays a lot more satisfying in the end, even if he was (and had) a colossal dick.

History is both comforting and infuriating for the same reasons: poo poo constantly repeats itself, and humans are incapable of meaningful change in any sort small window of time.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

https://x.com/RawStory/status/1748115352125350290

The gently caress is this admiralty fringe bullshit? LOL.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I wasn't a manager at a restaurant I was a shift lead :smuggo:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lol if they lean into “yea it was insurrection but I’ll get off on a technicality”

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1748146495159710133

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1748145716185153932

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

Fun syphilis talk fact.

The Virus is unusually sensitive to heat. So a severe fever can kill it.

Enter the early 20th century treatment of 'Fever Therapy'.

In which a neurosyphilitic patient was deliberately infected with Malaria in the hopes that the fever would fry the syphilis then the Malaria could be brought back under control with quinine.

25% success rate! Which TBF is way better than the previous rate of 0%. Guy who came up with it was Dr Julius Wagner-Jauregg. Got the Nobel prize for medicine.

What if I got syphilis when I was in my early twenties and ignored it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

great username posted:

the former president is a sovcit :lol:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

great username posted:

:hmbol:

This is loving deranged

What would the President be?

Holy poo poo who actually wrote this legal drivel

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there some legalese about what "technically" counts as an officer of the United States and the president is not mentioned for some reason, leaving it up to interpretation? I'm not saying it's a good argument lol just that this has been brought up a few times in the last few months.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Bottom Liner posted:

the former president is a sovcit :lol:

He's not insurrecting, he's traveling in his conveyance.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the founding fathers clearly intended for this country to be the property of an unaccountable king. it’s in the constitution

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

What if I got syphilis when I was in my early twenties and ignored it

Then you are qualified to be President and/or a famous mob boss

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lmao, totally unflappable. I wish Ingraham would stop flapping her gums.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

great username posted:

Hahahahahaha it's probably been over since the first time he hosed up in office but this is rich.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It would be fatal to our country if the supreme court ruled both that presidents are fully immune to being prosecuted for anything and not actually under oath to act in the best interests of the USA, so I don't think they're likely to do so but I do think it would be hilarious

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

TrashMammal posted:

the founding fathers clearly intended for this country to be the property of an unaccountable king. it’s in the constitution

Some of them, yeah. Hamilton was a monarchist sympathizer. He wanted the president to rule for life as a monarch, like the English (/Great Britain ) system.

Yeah it is easy to say it is ironic that guy has a loving musical about him, but it shouldn't be because that should be expected.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just saw a news slide of Nikki Haley and saw that her slogan is:

PICK
NIKKI

It has a real JEB! energy so I lol'd.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Isn't there some legalese about what "technically" counts as an officer of the United States and the president is not mentioned for some reason, leaving it up to interpretation? I'm not saying it's a good argument lol just that this has been brought up a few times in the last few months.

Yeah. It's hosed up, but probably on of his best legal strategies.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

War Wizard posted:

I just saw a news slide of Nikki Haley and saw that her slogan is:

PICK
NIKKI

It has a real JEB! energy so I lol'd.

Pick
Nik!

then
N I K !

finally
Nik is a mess.

Image of Nikki with her arms spread out in front of a piss colored usa map.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Picnic-y

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Great slogan, surely no one will change it to Picky Nikki or Picnic.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Just laughing that a concern is “age” as Trump is nearly 80.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

kazil posted:

Great slogan, surely no one will change it to Picky Nikki or Picnic.

Bold move, going after the Yogi Bear demographic

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think they mean she is too young.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Look, this is important, do any of the flags in the SCOTUS have gold fringe?

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

"ideologically sound"

you mean the transphobic grifter who tried to push a weird TERFy bill near the end of her term? and sold out to Republicans shortly after?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Blanket the area with advertisements of your hammy slogan. Pick Nikki! In a bit of a pickle right now since the tangerine is winning. Sticky situation. Donors might get antsy. Potato salad.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Elise Stefanik will not win over a single suburban woman voter that wasn’t already voting for Trump.

She’s also obnoxious, so good luck with that.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

elise stefanik looks like a hoa president and would not be agood pick for vp, i think

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

great username posted:

Alright alright alright.

Lets see how this turns out because there's a chance he's successful possibly?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

withak posted:

He continues to campaign and fundraise when not busy with this various criminal and civil trials.

It will be loving hysterical and also very sad if SCOTUS rules against him and he continues to send out fundraising emails claiming to be appealing.

Edit: someone find that tweet where a guy posits that trump will someday look right into a camera and swear he never ran for president.

xarph fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 19, 2024

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Elise Stefanik

Suburban women:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

It’s going to be funny in a few more years when all the potential Republican candidates are all weirdos who are personally off putting like Ronnie D.

These people don’t know how to act in public.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Alright alright alright.

Lets see how this turns out because there's a chance he's successful possibly?

It's better than the previous strategy of having Alina Habba go on fox and say "Kavanaugh, c'mon man!"

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

if Trump loses the Republican nomination I'm going to giggle like a upper-class child from Victorian England

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JAnon posted:

if Trump loses the Republican nomination I'm going to giggle like a upper-class child from Victorian England

Impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah, but he's a man. Age is much more important for women for totally not sexist reasons.