Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Also prosecutors like are allowed to be biased against criminals. There is no pretense of neutrality. They're supposed to exercise their discretion but that's a high threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

The argument I think is the conflict of interest. Maybe he's qualified, maybe there's somebody more qualified? Maybe somebody would've done it cheaper?

IANAL but I as a corporate drone wouldn't be able to just award a contract to my wife/girlfriend for example without independent review, even if her company had the best offer.

You're not the county District Attorney. You could absolutely do that if your secret boyfriend worked in your office, was a former judge, and is getting paid commensurately with other positions. The DA will have a wide discretion, and there is no conflict of interest between the two parties involved in an unrelated personal matter.

Now is that how it will play out? Who the gently caress knows

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Re: everyone going on and on about "Oh, Alex Jones is still living high on the hog!"

Remember, in addition to everything else about our legal system being slow, Jones has a vested interest in presenting an aura of invincibility. The moment the stink of loser gets too thick his audience (and his ability to grift them) evaporates even more than it already has.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Like this guy is not Ernest T. Bass or anything

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah my only concern is that the replacement(s) might not be suited for the job, but it smells like a conflict of interest on the case and it definitely raises questions about responsible use of taxpayer funds. The latter doesn't really bear on the case but could be a big problem for Willis and Wade personally or professionally.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Yeah my only concern is that the replacement(s) might not be suited for the job, but it smells like a conflict of interest on the case and it definitely raises questions about responsible use of taxpayer funds. The latter doesn't really bear on the case but could be a big problem for Willis and Wade personally or professionally.

i sorta have a suspcion that if this comes down to kemp doing something, he might make a deal of "ill let you wrap up this case and all that if you dont run/resign at some point when next election hits". but who knows. Kemps a ghoul but he hates trump and doesnt owe him anything.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i sorta have a suspcion that if this comes down to kemp doing something, he might make a deal of "ill let you wrap up this case and all that if you dont run/resign at some point when next election hits". but who knows. Kemps a ghoul but he hates trump and doesnt owe him anything.

Anyone would have a hard time right now trying to gain support for her removal, statewide. Kemp will stay out of this publicly. I still tend to doubt that this will affect the GA case at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

You're not the county District Attorney. You could absolutely do that if your secret boyfriend worked in your office, was a former judge, and is getting paid commensurately with other positions. The DA will have a wide discretion, and there is no conflict of interest between the two parties involved in an unrelated personal matter.

Now is that how it will play out? Who the gently caress knows
How does hiring your lover, no matter the "wide discretion", not raise at least to the appearance of a conflict of interest? It's not an unrelated personal matter, you're giving a job to somone you're loving. Even if they're perfectly qualified, that will certainly raise questions as to whether there were other reasons for the choice.

quote:

An appearance of a conflict of interest exists when a reasonable person would conclude from the surrounding circumstances that the ability of the officer or employee to protect the public interest or impartially perform a public duty is compromised by financial or personal interests in the matter or transaction. The appearance of a conflict of interest can exist even in the absence of an actual conflict of interest, which exists whenever the officer or employee knows or should know that he or she has an interest that may be affected by his or her official acts or actions.

I'm not a DA or even a lawyer, obviously so I guess we'll see soon enough how that goes :shrug: But I'm getting the impression that this is an actual problem from various actual lawyers commenting on the issue, for exampe:

quote:

So with that in mind, will Judge Scott McAfee disqualify Wade? I, I would say a hundred percent right? Like I, I can't envision a scenario in which Wade gets to stay on the case. Will he disqualify Willis? I would say I think that's probably more likely than not right now. And if, if the events are as they appear to be, right, and that would be a severe blow, right?
at 48:47: https://app.podscribe.ai/episode/94762121

E: there's no remedy specified for violating this so yeah they could leave her on theoretically I suppose

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 19, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mdemone posted:

Anyone would have a hard time right now trying to gain support for her removal, statewide. Kemp will stay out of this publicly. I still tend to doubt that this will affect the GA case at all.

thats kinda my view. we will see what happens though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

How does hiring your lover, no matter the "wide discretion", not raise at least to the appearance of a conflict of interest? It's not an unrelated personal matter, you're giving a job to somone you're loving. Even if they're perfectly qualified, that will certainly raise questions as to whether there were other reasons for the choice.

I'm not a DA or even a lawyer, obviously so I guess we'll see soon enough how that goes :shrug: But I'm getting the impression that this is an actual problem from various actual lawyers commenting on the issue, for exampe:

at 48:47: https://app.podscribe.ai/episode/94762121

E: there's no remedy specified for violating this so yeah they could leave her on theoretically I suppose

Oh it's surely a problem that needs to be adjudicated. I'm just saying that I think there aren't any valid grounds for dismissing Wade, in the RICO trial, and I think they'll rule that way. In any case Willis won't be disqualified because 1) none of this has anything to do with the case, and 2) the grand jury heard *her* and indicted appropriately. Nobody is getting their charges dismissed here.

If I were Willis' office I would have already had him recuse, but they are going to play hardball I guess.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also prosecutors like are allowed to be biased against criminals. There is no pretense of neutrality. They're supposed to exercise their discretion but that's a high threshold.

I think the argument is that since the special prosecutor receives a substantial amount of money for this case and that money is spent on trips with the DA (and their broader relationship), they pushed the case forward with the special prosecutor to get the money.

I still think that shouldn’t matter for the case itself, either real evidence exists or not. However, it is very questionable behaviour, especially if there wouldn’t be enough evidence to convict.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

rkd_ posted:

I still think that shouldn’t matter for the case itself, either real evidence exists or not. However, it is very questionable behaviour, especially if there wouldn’t be enough evidence to convict.

It has no prejudicial impact on the grand jury indictments, because it could not have done so. It is presumed to have no prejudicial impact on the trial unless the defense can show otherwise, the attempt of which would be amusing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

mdemone posted:

Kemp would like to stay out of this publicly, but if/when Willis gets dismissed he has two things to consider:

1) He's term limited in '26 and what makes the most sense is to challenge Ossoff. To do that he'll need money and thus the good side of the money men, who will also have to take into consideration...
B) Trump is either going to be President or still the head of the Republican Party in '26 and may have a challenger for Kemp in the primary, and it's hard to assume that the challenger will be as bad as Herschel Walker, who still had a fighting chance against Warnock.

Kemp's best play will be to assign someone and give them the instructions to kick the can down the road and dismiss charges after the election, especially if/when Trump wins. If he wants to read the tea leaves and get back in Trump's good graces, he can order the charges be dismissed as an October surprise; combine that with Cannon dismissing the FL case at the same time and it gives Trump a victory lap which would probably put him over the top.

In short, yet another jam wriggled out of by ol' Donnie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

C. Everett Koop posted:

Speaking of which,

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-supreme-court-ballot-brief/

I think this was an expected line of defense and while it seems ridiculous, with this supreme court...

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Trump is gonna argue that he was never legitimately elected president, so the laws about presidents don't apply to him
Masterful gambit, sir

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

Oh it's surely a problem that needs to be adjudicated. I'm just saying that I think there aren't any valid grounds for dismissing Wade, in the RICO trial, and I think they'll rule that way. In any case Willis won't be disqualified because 1) none of this has anything to do with the case, and 2) the grand jury heard *her* and indicted appropriately. Nobody is getting their charges dismissed here.

If I were Willis' office I would have already had him recuse, but they are going to play hardball I guess.

If he has to refuse the Willis' entire team is out per GA law, it taints the whole team.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Kemp would like to stay out of this publicly, but if/when Willis gets dismissed he has two things to consider:

1) He's term limited in '26 and what makes the most sense is to challenge Ossoff. To do that he'll need money and thus the good side of the money men, who will also have to take into consideration...
B) Trump is either going to be President or still the head of the Republican Party in '26 and may have a challenger for Kemp in the primary, and it's hard to assume that the challenger will be as bad as Herschel Walker, who still had a fighting chance against Warnock.

Kemp's best play will be to assign someone and give them the instructions to kick the can down the road and dismiss charges after the election, especially if/when Trump wins. If he wants to read the tea leaves and get back in Trump's good graces, he can order the charges be dismissed as an October surprise; combine that with Cannon dismissing the FL case at the same time and it gives Trump a victory lap which would probably put him over the top.

Kemp is never and knows he is never going to be in Trump's so-called "good graces" (not that he really has anything approaching that in him).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

If he has to refuse the Willis' entire team is out per GA law, it taints the whole team.

Well, gently caress.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump used to call newspapers to brag about how much sex he was having

also trump can't be held accountable for crimes detected by sex havers!!

edit: trump is to lauded as a brave a virile hero for having sex

all the people against trump are evil sex havers!!

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 19, 2024

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mobby_6kl posted:

It... seems unlikely the speech was completely unrelated:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You can just read her sermon here: https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/01/15/read-fulton-county-da-fani-willis-improper-relationship-charges/, where she does in fact talk about the allegations.

To my understanding this case was always on shakier legal grounds compared to Jack Smith's DC case. The big loss here is the perception of bias, but really who is left that hasn't already picked a side in Trump v America?
Huh, TMYK. Admittedly I'd only seen the excerpt of the WaPo summary, appreciate the links!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

mobby_6kl posted:

It... seems unlikely the speech was completely unrelated:

https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/01/15/read-fulton-county-da-fani-willis-improper-relationship-charges/

The argument I think is the conflict of interest. Maybe he's qualified, maybe there's somebody more qualified? Maybe somebody would've done it cheaper?

IANAL but I as a corporate drone wouldn't be able to just award a contract to my wife/girlfriend for example without independent review, even if her company had the best offer.

https://library.municode.com/ga/fulton_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOORCORE_CH2AD

As I said, I haven't heard anyone suggest that this would get the case dismissed or even require a new trial, but it might force both her and the prosecutor off the case and the replacement could be a chud and/or not experienced with RICO cases.

E:
just spotted

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24367259-fani-willis-emergency-motion-to-quash

I'm reading through the motion and it seems like Willis is arguing that the Wade's ex-wife is looking for irrelevant information and that is only intended for harassment. The motion is also claiming potential coordination between the MIchael Roman's counsel and Wade's ex-wife. Wade and his ex-wife had an uncontested, no-fault divorce that did not require conclusions about factually disputed issues and Wade's ex-wife admitted that the divorce was due to adultery on her part. She also already received all requested information about Wade's compensation by the DA's office. Also, as of the date, Michael Roman started trying to get Willis disqualified, there were no amendments to the pleadings that would lead to contested issues with the divorce justifying new discovery. The informational requests in the subpoena from Wade's ex-wife are also lack specificity.

Willis is overall arguing that the subpoena is basically a big fishing expedition. It's not very sexy, but she's arguing that Roman's argument and Wade's ex-wife's subpoena are based on nothing, which makes it hard to respond to nothing. This approach seems driven by a desire to avoid giving inadvertent fuel to make Roman's conflict-of-interest theory look more substantial than it is.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 19, 2024

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Besides, there's no way she would keep quiet about this if she was, even if it was to blurt out "I wish the bombs blew you up" to a Dem in the House.
Well...

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1748120580484665574

She sure does know an awful lot about these pipe bombs!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1748155843428618569?t=VvXtjcjNBUe_3wh6RO8kZw&s=19

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O god. I need to send that to all my Dutch friends.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, a living allowance of like $50K a month is insane. Bitch is broke like ten times over, he oughta be living on ramen in a cheap-rear end apartment, not spending half-a-mil yearly.

The reason he's able to push it off so long is because he's got two bankruptcy proceedings (personal, and Free Speech Systems) and he's got a rats nest of different LLCs and Trusts held by varying combinations of himself, his parents, and other Trusts/LLCs in the nest. Plus he's got a bunch of deals where he claims FSS owes other companies he or his parents own like tens of millions of dollars.

Alex Jones is a different case to Trump, because the judgement against him is for far more than he has. The court is now trying to maximise how much money they can get for the victims, and part of that includes having Alex Jones work on his talk show and yell about gay frogs, because it pulls in millions of dollars a year. Since you can’t force someone to work, they need to have a pay incentive to get him to do his bullshit, otherwise he’d just quit.

It’s not the sort of justice we’d like to see, but money will flow to his victims, and there is always the threat looming over Alex that if his show ever fails, then the court can take everything and it’s ramen time.

Trump can keep paying these fines, so they’ll be resolved much faster than Alex Jones’s judgement.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I posted that in the wrong thread but I'm keeping it up.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

pumpinglemma posted:

Last I heard Alex was still spending in the high six figures per year. But I’m sure he’s going on extra double-secret probation real soon now.

Considering Infowars was documented raking in nine figures annually before the suit, that sounds like a pretty massive dropoff actually

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm reading through the motion and it seems like Willis is arguing that the Wade's ex-wife is looking for irrelevant information and that is only intended for harassment. The motion is also claiming potential coordination between the MIchael Roman's counsel and Wade's ex-wife. Wade and his ex-wife had an uncontested, no-fault divorce that did not require conclusions about factually disputes issues and Wade's ex-wife admitted that the divorce was due to adultery on her part. She also already received all requested information about Wade's compensation by the DA's office. Also, as of the date, Michael Roman started trying to get Willis disqualified, there were no amendments to the pleadings that would lead to contested issues with the divorce justifying new discovery. The informational requests in the subpoena from Wade's ex-wife are also lack specificity.

Willis is overall arguing that the subpoena is basically a big fishing expedition. It's not very sexy, but she's arguing that Roman's argument and Wade's ex-wife's subpoena are based on nothing, which makes it hard to respond to nothing. This approach seems driven by a desire to avoid giving inadvertent fuel to make Roman's conflict-of-interest theory look more substantial than it is.

Thanks for this post, I'm a dumb-dumb and couldn't work out her rationale if it wasn't "I'm guilty as hell and need to try and hide this". I always forget that fishing expeditions are a thing, basically :shobon:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Desumaytah posted:

Wingnut Welfare is a hell of a thing.

Just seize his assets and give the plaintiffs the run of them. Garnish his twitch stream or whatever. Eat his onlyfans. Crush his bones inside of his skin with magic. Use that same magic to make sure he can only extract oxygen from his own skidmarked briefs. Force him to make the skidmarks. Make a hamster wheel of it all. May God, himself, gently caress this guy.

:hmmyes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smoobles posted:

I posted that in the wrong thread but I'm keeping it up.

Makes more sense than 80% of what Alina Habba has said in court.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Alkydere posted:

Re: everyone going on and on about "Oh, Alex Jones is still living high on the hog!"

Remember, in addition to everything else about our legal system being slow, Jones has a vested interest in presenting an aura of invincibility. The moment the stink of loser gets too thick his audience (and his ability to grift them) evaporates even more than it already has.

Jones is very publically self destructing. He's developed a habit of taking 5-10 minute long breaks while on air and comes back either way speedier or audibly slurring his words. When he last had notable white supremacist Nick Fuentes on he claimed he had to adjust cameras. Most recently he did it during his "debate" about Jan 6 and by the end he was barely able to string words togather. He may be holding off the worst of the damages by stalling in the courts but I have a feeling his personal life is a living nightmare for him and everyone around him. Cold comfort, I know, but it will not end well for him.

edit:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2023/02/01/infowars-alex-jones-says-he-lives-hell-texts-show

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ubik_Lives posted:

Alex Jones is a different case to Trump, because the judgement against him is for far more than he has. The court is now trying to maximise how much money they can get for the victims, and part of that includes having Alex Jones work on his talk show and yell about gay frogs, because it pulls in millions of dollars a year. Since you can’t force someone to work, they need to have a pay incentive to get him to do his bullshit, otherwise he’d just quit.

It’s not the sort of justice we’d like to see, but money will flow to his victims, and there is always the threat looming over Alex that if his show ever fails, then the court can take everything and it’s ramen time.

Trump can keep paying these fines, so they’ll be resolved much faster than Alex Jones’s judgement.

i'd rather alex jones not do his show

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Thanks for this post, I'm a dumb-dumb and couldn't work out her rationale if it wasn't "I'm guilty as hell and need to try and hide this". I always forget that fishing expeditions are a thing, basically :shobon:

So you might say you were fishing for answers? :imunfunny:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

i'd rather alex jones not do his show

Me too, but the lawsuit didn't ask for his show to be ended, and the court didn't rule that the show should be ended. The lawsuit asked for him to pay a lot of money, and the court ruled that he had to pay far more money than he actually has.

The result of that is that the court actually wants him to keep making lots of money, so that he'll be able to pay out more of the money he owes to the victims' families. As long as he continues to obey the other condition on the judge's ruling (stop spreading Sandy Hook conspiracy theories), then the victims' families actually benefit from him continuing to run the show, because that's more money for them. If he quits or his show collapses, then the victims' families end up with less money in the end.

Weird incentives come into play when you successfully sue someone for 10x their entire net worth.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I can see how that would make sense in the context of a repayment regime where either his income is automatically garnished or one where if he’s a day late on a payment then bailiffs wander into his house and start grabbing anything that looks expensive, but he hasn’t paid a penny. The plaintiffs aren’t benefitting from his show continuing at all.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
he doesn't have to do his show to pay them. if he worked at home depot he'd have his wages garnished and he wouldn't have a show.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure if Alex Jones, or Trump, tried working at Home Depo they'd be pronounced dead at the scene within hours of attempting to actually do the job.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
win win win

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pumpinglemma posted:

I can see how that would make sense in the context of a repayment regime where either his income is automatically garnished or one where if he’s a day late on a payment then bailiffs wander into his house and start grabbing anything that looks expensive, but he hasn’t paid a penny. The plaintiffs aren’t benefitting from his show continuing at all.
Isn't this where it's all headed once the bankrupcy stuff is dealt with?

As for shutting down the show, if the plaintiffs didn't seek it, I don't see why the court would demand it as a remedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't this where it's all headed once the bankrupcy stuff is dealt with?

As for shutting down the show, if the plaintiffs didn't seek it, I don't see why the court would demand it as a remedy.
i was responding to this:

Ubik_Lives posted:

part of that includes having Alex Jones work on his talk show and yell about gay frogs, because it pulls in millions of dollars a year. Since you can’t force someone to work, they need to have a pay incentive to get him to do his bullshit, otherwise he’d just quit.
with "GOOD"

i'm ok with making the paycheck for his show so small he wouldn't do it. he doesn't need half a million a year to do the only thing he can do.
"here's fifty bucks a week to do your show"
"i'll just quit and work at home depot!"
"ok"
"...i'll get back on air..."