Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FuturePastNow posted:

It would be fatal to our country if the supreme court ruled both that presidents are fully immune to being prosecuted for anything and not actually under oath to act in the best interests of the USA, so I don't think they're likely to do so but I do think it would be hilarious

If you want to make a MAGAs head explode, ask them if they think a President should have immunity. When they think you're talking about Trump and they say yes, ask them if they think that applies to Biden too. Then sit back and watch them trip all over themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah, Trump could die and probably still be the favorite.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/kbriquelet/status/1748162959430308283

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but he's a man. Age is much more important for women for totally not sexist reasons.

also they don't really give a poo poo about Trump saying insane gibberish due to his age because they only seem to care when Biden or any other old-rear end Democrat does it

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't believe all the schools are still shut down because of covid. Someone should really look into this.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Any time his age comes up I laugh remembering how he stammered 'seven seven' when being asked his age at his arraignment last year for election interference. You know he wanted to lie about that like his height and age, and struggled with the impulse before caving in and having a rare if complicated truthful moment.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
she is a member of a cult!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Bewwwwwah! Michael Bay Sound - No explosions. No dice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It’s going to be funny in a few more years when all the potential Republican candidates are all weirdos who are personally off putting like Ronnie D.

These people don’t know how to act in public.

Are you new to politics? Every GOP primary is a lineup of failed vote bots

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

JAnon posted:

also they don't really give a poo poo about Trump saying insane gibberish due to his age because they only seem to care when Biden or any other old-rear end Democrat does it

This applies to literally everything, not just age

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hazo posted:

Are those lovely translucent red glasses supposed to be the new Hawaiian shirt or Fred Perry polo or Viper sunglasses or whatever stupid fashion accessory far-right shitheads use to identify each other as violent treasonous fascists?

I dunno, but can't you damage your eyes by wearing them too much?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
ladies and gentlemen speaker JEB

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

War Wizard posted:

I just saw a news slide of Nikki Haley and saw that her slogan is:

PICK
NIKKI

It has a real JEB! energy so I lol'd.

Hey now, polls show that if you just put your name up there emblazoned, it works.

NIKKI !

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I'm not saying you owe me, but...
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1748169463612989935

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

great username posted:

https://x.com/RawStory/status/1748115352125350290

The gently caress is this admiralty fringe bullshit? LOL.

lol. Of all the arguments he could make, this is the worst one! This is the one that lets Biden murder him in cold blood.

The Federalist Society seems to have come to an argument that they like... Removing someone from the ballot deprives congress the ability to waive the restrictions. The idea is that states have to let ineligible candidates onto the ballot, so that congress can chose to vote to waive the requirements or not when they certify the election. It's super dumb and bending themselves into a pretzel not to let Biden get away with whatever he wants but still allow trump to get elected.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

:lol: that they couldn't come up with a single accomplishment for her

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I like this girl, she's got pluck. She should be President.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1748170034302574887

I love how insane this is, like, he is literally arguing that he should be allowed to go to Fort Knox and load up gold bars and there is nothing anyone can do about it because otherwise Presidents might be afraid to murder Osama Bin Laden. Literally no nuance, just, I can just shoot my presidential valet in the head if he brings me a Diet Coke that is slightly to warm and there is nothing you can do about it, presidential duties and all that.

Dude is legit afraid.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 19, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

War Wizard posted:

I just saw a news slide of Nikki Haley and saw that her slogan is:

PICK
NIKKI

It has a real JEB! energy so I lol'd.

Only a matter of time before Trump learns about pick-me's and calls her one.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Everything about the term "Veepstakes" makes me want to throw up in my mouth. Leave it to the reality show president to turn selecting a VP into a reality show.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So... he thinks he's a Wallfacer?

edit - lol as if trump would ever 1) read 2) Chinese sci-fi

TremorX fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 19, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’ve said it before: while SCOTUS isn’t likely to rule in his favour (at least not *fully*) it will absolutely not be a 9-0 decision and the dissenting argument will be a hoot and then some.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Conservatives' requirements for a "good" politician are so goddamn childish, stupid, and shortsighted.

e:

Three Olives posted:

I love how insane this is, like, he is literally arguing that he should be allowed to go to Fort Knox and load up gold bars and there is nothing anyone can do about it because otherwise Presidents might be afraid to murder Osama Bin Laden. Literally no nuance, just, I can just shoot my presidential valet in the head if he brings me a Diet Coke that is slightly to warm and there is nothing you can do about it, presidential duties and all that.

Dude is legit afraid.

He thinks a president without immunity won't be able to do anything because he's talking about himself only. He doesn't realize that every other president isn't constantly looking for ways to line their pockets illegally and brutally punish those who hurt their precious feewings. "The president can't do anything" is simply "I can't keep doing what I'm doing unless I'm shielded from consequences for my actions."

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 19, 2024

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As a reminder, there are legit and strong precedents that "officer" of the United States specifically does not include the presidency under certain specific constructions of con law that posters like Mr. Nice! can better explain because they have the cites and poo poo. I am highly aware of those constructions and where those apply with respect to certain interpretations of what is an officer of the United States. That's current law in a lot of places, and this stems in part from the reality that of the executive branch personnel, only two are actually elected: the President and VP. Everyone else is an appointee, whether politically or using the machinery of the civil service. So that's not insane at all given where we're at in terms of relatively esoteric areas of law that we normally don't discuss like this.

I disagree with the stance, but my opinion is actually the minority position in this regard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Trump is basically just arguing that the trial judge was right except that he didn't participate in insurrection.

There is good reason that the president is not included in the catchall phrase used in the 14th along with constitutional support for the same. Likewise, the presidential oath is specifically distinct from oaths that use the word support. The constitution specifies that all oaths except the president's will use the word "support" while the president's does not.

Trump's arguments that he gets absolute immunity for everything is dumb as poo poo, but his arguments about the 14th are sound enough that the trial judge (not a chudge) agreed with him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If you want to make a MAGAs head explode, ask them if they think a President should have immunity. When they think you're talking about Trump and they say yes, ask them if they think that applies to Biden too. Then sit back and watch them trip all over themselves.

lol they'll just say Biden isn't a legit president

there's literally no point trying to use logic on the MAGA crowd

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Female vp?

Sounds pretty woke to me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yea my understanding that the argument he is not a officer of the United States has legs from what has been posted here.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
lol goons

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/McCormickJohn/status/1748169615450972171

Who is she trying to win over with this answer lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1748170448179699943

I think this is the second tone I've heard on this particular Trump Clarity and Focal Statement™ today. His statement here is totally being made at the Speed of News Itself. The I DO WHAT I WANT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER shtick really is ridiculous, and not going to work at all.

DaveWoo posted:

Simultaneously the Judicial System and Trump both?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 19, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

Yea my understanding that the argument he is not a officer of the United States has legs from what has been posted here.

Honestly I think the SCOTUS punts on jurisdiction and says it's a nonjusticiable political question to boot. Something like the drafters of the 14th expected the voters of the nation as a whole to decide the president so it's different than roles based on one state's votes only.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

kazil posted:

lol they'll just say Biden isn't a legit president

there's literally no point trying to use logic on the MAGA crowd

I don't often run into much MAGA stuff here but I've adopted the "roll eyes, shake head, walk away" strategy in real life, at this point. Like you said, no point in using such insanely radical strategies as "logic" or "information" on MAGAs.

Waffle House posted:

I DO WHAT I WANT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER

ex-president Cartman

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 19, 2024

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Waffle House posted:

I like this girl, she's got pluck. She should be President.

Geez, I don't know...what if she costs Trump the New York vote?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kw0134 posted:

As a reminder, there are legit and strong precedents that "officer" of the United States specifically does not include the presidency under certain specific constructions of con law that posters like Mr. Nice! can better explain because they have the cites and poo poo. I am highly aware of those constructions and where those apply with respect to certain interpretations of what is an officer of the United States. That's current law in a lot of places, and this stems in part from the reality that of the executive branch personnel, only two are actually elected: the President and VP. Everyone else is an appointee, whether politically or using the machinery of the civil service. So that's not insane at all given where we're at in terms of relatively esoteric areas of law that we normally don't discuss like this.

I disagree with the stance, but my opinion is actually the minority position in this regard.

Yes, this has been brought up, but I believe others have also brought up that Trump himself has specifically and vigorously argued that he is in fact protected from certain legal actions in his position as an officer conducting official duties, the official duties being calling E. Jean Carroll a lying whore because the fact that he raped her made him look bad. And he raping her is now legally an established legal fact.

edit: Also, SCOTUS saying he is in fact an officer is a really convenient precedent that they are fully allowed to established that says Presidents can do really awful stuff, like how they love qualified immunity so much, but they can't just like assassinate a political rival. It's the kind of fun squishy line that they get to decide over and over again depending on what Harlan Crow brings up on his yacht in Monaco after flying them there on a private plane for an all-expense vacation that they lie about taking.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 19, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DaveWoo posted:

She won me over, I think she’s the sort of common sense conservative that could really unite the country

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

great username posted:

The gently caress is this admiralty fringe bullshit? LOL.

He's screaming at the wall to disappear.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Comes off like she doesn't want to pardon him, but doesn't want to outright say that and piss off the MAGA crowd that already doesn't like her, so she's giving a noncommittal "well we gotta wait until all the facts come in" answer.

Basically, she's a coward.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

lmao there's no way she tweets about that unless she was involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is there a particular reason it seems like they're pushing for a female VP? I mean, I get Harris is a thing but you'd think that would lose points with their base.