Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

One of my gripes with Steeple was that it's kind of unclear to what degree people accept that any of this stuff is actually going on. The biggest example of this, was, of course, the hipster witches, who have committed quite a few no-poo poo crimes using their magical powers, but nobody really seems to consider the possibility of them seeing justice either under normal-person law or supernatural-vigilante law.

Allison's writing has this...issue...or maybe quirk is a better word? Where characters can do some terrible poo poo but rarely get any comeuppance because it leads to Funny and/or Dramatic Situations. Most of the time it works because the writing is so breezy, but sometimes we get Ken Lord from that Bobbins story about Ryan making friends with his fellow teacher and her husband. Ken seemed harmless in that story, ignoring how he's twice his wife's age and they married when she was his student in university. But then you get to that Giant Days issue where Esther almost got date-raped by Ken if it hadn't been for her new friend running interference. :stare: The most anyone acknowledged it was Ken's literary colleagues joking with Esther that it was an open secret he did that.

And it's not just side characters who do that. Colm became a possessive, jealous thug when he was the one who dumped Claire. Or how Susan and McGraw had an affair, and Susan manipulated Esther into choosing between her and McGraw's girlfriend, the aforementioned person who saved Esther from being date-raped.

It's something I've begrudgingly accepted in Allison's works , and I do get that it's depressingly realistic that people do sometimes get away with doing lovely things. Still, I wanted to say you're not alone in feeling this way. IIRC, Maggie's dad was almost going to let her get sexually assaulted by his party friends, so it's bizarre that she's even talking to him in this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 14-18, 2004)

Oh hai mark nat

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is this a good impression of what her from the Cranberries is actually like, by the way?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

I don’t think Billie has gone full blood and thunder preacher. She’s just giving everything a go. Given the reception she’s getting, my suspicion is that she won’t be giving this particular strand a go much longer.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 19-21, 2004)

That's the end of that! Starting tomorrow, things are going to change.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Is this a good impression of what her from the Cranberries is actually like, by the way?

Was :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aw.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Change! What is this thing we call "change"?

Amid blistering, terrifying changes in the real world, there's a new, comforting conservatism in the minds of men. We can't stop the polar icecaps melting, but we can sure as hell complain that they changed the theme song to "American Cop Show".

As a man who makes a tiny slice of the great "entertainment" pie, i witness the white-knuckled fear change causes. grown men and women drinking tap- water full of hormones and chemicals, terrified because you stopped drawing a character a certain way.

Of course, I exaggerate. My readers are generally good eggs one and all. And since I change things every few years, they buy into my ever changing moods. but I've seen people pilloried for trying something even slightly different (and frequently better). Status quo forever!

Scary Go Round is nothing if not a heap of ham-fisted allegories and parables - it doesn't fit together perfectly. It's hard to stay on message when you can't really remember what the message was. But if ever there was a time for the common man to stop sweating the small stuff, I'd say it was now.

Or soon. Once we finish campaigning to get them to bring back "American Doctor Show" from cancellation.

The Child is my favourite Scary Go Round story to date. Characters who I'd created for a single strip somehow came to life, which is always a surprise.

Whether new characters like Erin and Esther will have a part to play in the future, I can't say. Sometimes new people arrive strong and slowly tail off, sometimes they grow naturally in my brain over the years until I can't do a story without them. It's an interesting journey, this business we call "show".

Thank you for being here for this showbusiness journey! Thank you for reading my commentaries! Thank you for reading my comics! You are... my friend!

Sometimes I feel that Allison may have had a few drinks before writing these. For those who haven't read SGR before, this is a pivotal arc! We get some character development, some Tackleford paranormal stuff, and a number of characters being brought to the forefront who become main characters later in the series. And, y'know, a good ol' case or two of Shelley Winters Must Suffer just for bonus points.

Scary Go Round (January 24-26, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, that's one of my favorite SGR stories!

In today's Steeple:

John A posted:

The instant-on boiling water tap (eg “Qooker”) is a real marker of middle class aspiration. I’ve never had one. I’ve used one once. It felt like too much power, to be honest. The kind of move Oppenheimer got himself so chewed-up about.

You can learn much, much more about Reverend Penrose’s relationship with “his writing woman” in the Steeple Summer Special (issue 15, “Reverend In Love”) – available on my Gumroad or to subscribers to my Patreon (direct link to the special) .

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 15, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

things are going to change

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The posting of the different timelines and eras simultaneously has me feeling reaaaaaal Billy Pilgrim rn

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 27-31, 2005)

First appearance: Erin Winters, younger sister of Shelley, classmate and friend of The Boy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 1-3, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Maggie is experiencing deep turmoil here. To escape Cornwall by road or rail, there is no option but to go through Devon. And those guys could close the doors any time. Then it’d be Newquay Airport or nothing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 4-8, 2005)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I feel like Mrs Clovis would be secretly proud of seeing Maggie in rubber gloves.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm guessing the insinuation that Mrs Clovis is in prison is a fake out, and they hit a water main or something rather than found a dead body.

I also think Brian has gone full Jeremy Clarkson.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It's been a long time since I've read Scary Go Round but I remember Erin being my favorite character.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 9-11, 2005)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh no, oh no no no no

John A posted:

Now here’s a sad schism. The old pals, rent in twain. But Brian always keeps a good thought for people and Tom is no exception. I’ve had “Brian goes straight” on my to-do list of Steeple stories right from the start.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

brian... no... that beautiful beard...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (Feburary 14-16, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 17-21, 2005)

Poor Erin :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Steeple

John A posted:

It’s a simple matter to have your hub converted to Dark Web running. Just talk to your ISP. Ahhhh, who am I kidding? Openreach said they’d come back to clip the broadband cable to my house wall back in July, citing a “shortage of long ladders”. No sign. No sign.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kazinsal posted:

Poor Erin :(

I remember reading on one of Allison's websites (it might have been his tumblr) that one of the reasons Erin kept getting Charlotte's name wrong in Bad Machinery was a sort of petty revenge for Sarah's bullying of Erin in Scary Go Round.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 22-24, 2005)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Kazinsal posted:

What did they do to that poor girl's feet?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh... gosh

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 19, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 25-March 1, 2005)

:ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 2-4, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 7-9, 2005)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Steeple

John A posted:

Poor old Tom and the hell of his own making. Though, I suppose, a hell of your own making is the whole point of Satanism. When will WE get to meet the Extreme Freaks?