Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Can you imagine the horrible world that awaits in 2034 when there will be a bunch of different Superman and Batman movies with no connection to each other and people start to associate bad movies and reboots with WB/Discovery?

Also, I had never heard this about the original Snyder DCEU pitch and it is pretty bonkers:

quote:

About a decade ago, Zack Snyder developed a storyline for the DC Extended Universe that involved Bruce Wayne impregnating Lois Lane.

The subplot in which Batman cuckolds Superman was poised to unfold in “Justice League,” with Batman dying in the sequel and Lois raising their spawn with Superman. Snyder’s vision for Wonder Woman was equally unorthodox, with visuals featuring a superheroine who brandished the decapitated heads of her conquered enemies like an ISIS jihadi.

Warner Bros. and DC Studios — which hold a firm grip on their intellectual property — rejected Snyder’s ideas, which were deemed “super creepy,” according to a source familiar with the back and forth. (DC declined to comment for this story. A representative for Snyder did not respond to a request for comment.) But in the next decade, artists and rival studios won’t need permission to create their own take on the characters.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1747717547099930712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That head stuff sounds cool as hell

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Can you imagine the horrible world that awaits in 2034 when there will be a bunch of different Superman and Batman movies with no connection to each other and people start to associate bad movies and reboots with WB/Discovery?

Start to?

Batman now coming in phase 7 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lol There's no way WB/Discovery exists in 2034

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's the same as Mickey Mouse, i.e. Steamboat Willie, what will become public domain in those years isn't really what people now know as those characters, right?

Get ready for Batman to go up against his most dangerous villain yet! A well-to-do, upstate logging company owner! Who will help Batman solve this conundrum of a case? Why, here comes his portly, bumbling butler Alfred now!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe you'll get a lovely batman horror movie out of it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lobok posted:

If it's the same as Mickey Mouse, i.e. Steamboat Willie, what will become public domain in those years isn't really what people now know as those characters, right?

Get ready for Batman to go up against his most dangerous villain yet! A well-to-do, upstate logging company owner! Who will help Batman solve this conundrum of a case? Why, here comes his portly, bumbling butler Alfred now!

Also he uses a gun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

For the first 3 years his name has to be Detective John Comics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

Yes. They can use original villains or villains introduced in his original run, though.

Public domain Superman won't be able to fly for a few years.

I don't know specifically what parts of Batman were introduced later and technically still under copyright.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What's the first recognizable marvel hero that becomes public domain first? Is it Namor?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

twistedmentat posted:

What's the first recognizable marvel hero that becomes public domain first? Is it Namor?

I think Human Torch is technically the first Marvel character. Namor was probably the same year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Waiting for a low budget crappy horror movie about a serial killer who dresses up as a Batman who wears purple gloves.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Waiting for a low budget crappy horror movie about a serial killer who dresses up as a Batman who wears purple gloves.

poo poo, WB will make that themselves

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TwoPair posted:

poo poo, WB will make that themselves

Hell they arguably have already

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Medullah posted:

Don't worry, every Billie Eilish song sounds exactly the same to me and I have at one point in my life said to another human "What does this child know about life experiences???"

go back to bed grampy

Aphrodite posted:

And hundreds and hundreds more you don't remember because they weren't good.

talk poo poo about Skee-Lo again to my face bitch

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think Human Torch is technically the first Marvel character. Namor was probably the same year.

Yea its probably both. Along the Ka-zar. But who cares about Ka-zar? Though I did say recognizable hero and I think Namor is better known than the others. Most people think Johnny Storm when talking about Human Torch, not a synthazoid that catches on fire when exposed to oxygen even if he did burn Hitler alive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

twistedmentat posted:

Yea its probably both. Along the Ka-zar. But who cares about Ka-zar? Though I did say recognizable hero and I think Namor is better known than the others. Most people think Johnny Storm when talking about Human Torch, not a synthazoid that catches on fire when exposed to oxygen even if he did burn Hitler alive.

I'd never even heard of Ka-Zar and googling that reminded me that the first ever Marvel comics movie was technically Conan the Barbarian.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No one cares about Ka-Zar but the fans cry out for more Zabu.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I've never been sure, is it pronounced Kah-ZAR or KAY-zar?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Should be KAY-zar. I believe that's how they pronounced it in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1.

Ka-zar, Human Torch, and Namor all appeared in Marvel Comics #1, which was published in August 1939 (about 3 months after Detective Comics 27 for reference). The Angel (not Warren) and Masked Raider were in there too, for those who care.

Sesq fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sesq posted:

Should be KAY-zar. I believe that's how they pronounced it in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1.

Ka-zar, Human Torch, and Namor all appeared in Marvel Comics #1, which was published in August 1939 (about 3 months after Detective Comics 27 for reference). The Angel (not Warren) and Masked Raider were in there too, for those who care.

Yea, that's why I figured they'd be the first. I learned that from Venture Bros!

Also like Steamboat Willy, they don't get ALL material and verisons of the characters that exist. So a all of Namor's mutantness and being from Atlantis aren't there.

I always joked if Ka-zar appeared in a Marvel thing, it was because they were out of actual heroes to put in things. He's just Tarzan with a cat friend, not a monkey. He's a really useful card in Marvel Snap though.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sesq posted:

Then it's Cap & Bucky in '41 and Patsy Walker in '44. Is there anyone in the long stretch until Willie Lumpkin in '59 and the Fantastic Four in '61?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All that poo poo is so messy I can't imagine you're going to get much. Like so far the only thing people have done with properties like Winnie the Pooh and Steamboat Willie are cheap lovely horror movies.

By then it wouldn't surprise me if Disney straight up owned the DC characters anyway. But I can't imagine they would start using Superman or Batman at their first appearance because they would be completely devoid of the other things that developed them into good characters.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I call dibs on The Whizzer ('41) but only if I can use his chickenhat.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Can't wait for the 2037 Wonder Woman reboot starring pansexual bondage-enthusiast Diana Prince, who is definitely made from clay, fighting Nazis with a cadre of sorority girls

...wait uh. That sounds good. That sounds way better actually

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Esplanade posted:

I call dibs on The Whizzer ('41) but only if I can use his chickenhat.

Just found out recently that in their original origins, this guy was the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. That might be their mother, Lady Liberty being accosted by the scuba diving nazi gorilla back their too.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The Marvels trip report: that was really entertaining. Probably helps that I'm a cat guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://ew.com/madame-web-dakota-johnson-exclusive-preview-8432016
For some reason Madame Web is set in 2003. Like, what is the point of that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

https://ew.com/madame-web-dakota-johnson-exclusive-preview-8432016
For some reason Madame Web is set in 2003. Like, what is the point of that?

Oh there's a point for that.

Because the movie is about stopping a bad guy who wants to kill Peter Parker's parents so he's never born.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh there's a point for that.

Because the movie is about stopping a bad guy who wants to kill Peter Parker's parents so he's never born.

Well I gotta hand it to them that's at least a good reason to not have Spider-Man around in this edition of Sony's Spider-Man Side Characters Minus Spider-Man Cinematic Universe.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Oh sure that’ll solve all of peters problems,parents.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Just found out recently that in their original origins, this guy was the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. That might be their mother, Lady Liberty being accosted by the scuba diving nazi gorilla back their too.

lol this dude got his powers from mongoose blood

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

Before his big movie there better be a disclaimer lest it leads impressionable kids to start drinking the blood of mongeese.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Whizzer's already in the MCU, for certain definitions of the MCU. He showed up in Jessica Jones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sesq posted:

Whizzer's already in the MCU, for certain definitions of the MCU. He showed up in Jessica Jones.

Apparently that's all fully MCU now due to the shuffling on Daredevil.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

And yet he's not the Marvel character named Mongoose.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/hernandy_s/status/1748821906252337427?s=46

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frankly I'd be more shocked if they did ask for permission

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 21, 2024

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently that's all fully MCU now due to the shuffling on Daredevil.

That means Erik is the MCU's first mutant, not Kamala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Channing Tatum recently reconfirmed that he's working on a movie for The Maxx. Although this lead me to wonder, is the comic actually still in print?