Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
A review of that Yawman controller by a guy who mostly plays DCS with a gamepad (Tuuvas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhYy61tZ--U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Did you try Shift E? I think that auto starts/shuts down

No, I didn't even consider there might be an auto-startup bind. I only tried in-cockpit switches and such.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

One in the Bum posted:

Does anyone have advice on how to restart the TBM following a mid-flight engine shutdown (base Asobo TBM, msfs)?

The MSFS keybind for engine start is CTRL-E, and that should work fine on the stock TBM.

For a longer explanation, the actual TBM POH (which has all of the performance data and checklists you'd ever want) is easily available online, but the general procedure is to switch tanks, turn on the boost pump, and see if the engine relights, since the FADEC should have automatically started running the ignitors when the engine quit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's been an update with honeycomb stuff

https://www.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100064561420592&story_fbid=783024293859611

Sorry for the Facebook link, but that's where it was posted. The gist of it is the same old story, a "friend" invests in the company and says they will handle the business side while the ideas guy handles the product. The product is good, but the business side guy is having money problems and starts grifting from the company and stops paying factories and warehouses. Product guy and face of the company keeps letting it slide until the company can't function anymore.

So it looks like Honeycomb should be a successful business if not for the one guy stealing the money. So if the main guy can get some people to inject money to get products shipped, Honeycomb is back on. If not, it's dead. And by people I mean investors, he's not telling customers to put more money in. He's telling people to cancel orders that are directly from the company and do chargebacks to get refunds and then preorder from retailers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I just got the email and holy moly. I mean unfortunately not an unheard of tale but just lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Probably be best for someone to buy the IP at this point and start making it anew.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
capitalism.txt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Has he considered having the guy who robbed the company arrested and forced to pay back what he stole

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

even if all of that is true, what kind of investor would invest in a company with this poo poo looming over it, completely unresolved?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

even if all of that is true, what kind of investor would invest in a company with this poo poo looming over it, completely unresolved?

It's a company with two good products and more on the way that happens to have a lovely guy causing financial problems. Buy that guy out and take an initial hit and it could be a decent investment later. Despite the issues, people are still clamoring for these things because the rest of the market at this price point kind of sucks.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My dip into X-Plane convinced me to grab one of the "good flight model" planes for MSFS for prettier VFRing with complexity, so I picked up the Blackbird 310R and just adore it.

It looks like a lil rocket ship (I left that door open but forgot to check it on the next flight, persistence is fun)

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 28, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I recently got a flight sim thing for my simrig to attach my T16000 and throttle to. I was having fun with that, but then I thought that I could also use my steering wheel as a yoke. I have the fanatec Mclaren GT3 rim which has analog clutch paddles. I set them to be gas/brake and set the axis to combined in the fanatec settings. This meant I could use them for pitch control, and I set the sensitivity of the wheel to 200 degrees to use for roll so it locks where the in game yoke does. This actually worked really well. I loaded up the 152 in VR and took off. Using the throttle slider on the T16000 for throttle, it was close enough to where the throttle is in the plane that it feels pretty great. I flew around Canberra because that's where the sun is at the moment and had a blast. Using paddles to control pitch isn't the best, but it's good enough without having a real yoke. It really only becomes super important when landing and it works well enough. Having the steering wheel style control really makes coordinated flying a lot better compared to having to use the joystick. And now that I'm away from my desk, I can have a better setup for the rudder pedals. I guess I can put off buying an actual yoke for a while.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 28, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's really wacky imo but if it works for you then i guess it works.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.

Cojawfee posted:

I recently got a flight sim thing for my simrig to attach my T16000 and throttle to

Yo, whats this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Getoutnow posted:

Yo, whats this?

I have a next level racing GT Elite Pro and then got the GT Elite Flight Pack for it. I didn't realize until after I bought the racing seat that they discontinued the flight pack, but luckily I found it elsewhere. They still make a flight pack for their 8020 rig they have.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
Cool. Thanks.
I'm trying to find something similar to mount my T16000 to my Playseat Challenge. That thing might even work!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quick MSFS2020 question.

One of my favorite planes is the Working Title CJ4. I heard that it was rolled into the main sim. And for the most part, the default CJ4 is great. But it seems the passenger briefings don't play anymore or are inaccessible. Anyone know whether that is intentional? I liked those.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Lol, I also have the Fanatec McLaren rim and have have thought about using it as you’ve described several times. I still don’t really plan on doing it but it’s nice to know you’re out there doing it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cojawfee posted:

It's a company with two good products and more on the way that happens to have a lovely guy causing financial problems. Buy that guy out and take an initial hit and it could be a decent investment later. Despite the issues, people are still clamoring for these things because the rest of the market at this price point kind of sucks.
A small company that had such poor oversight to let that happen in the first place does not sound appealing to "invest" in.

They should sell it off to someone established (or someone that can take it over) and go from there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Quick MSFS2020 question.

One of my favorite planes is the Working Title CJ4. I heard that it was rolled into the main sim. And for the most part, the default CJ4 is great. But it seems the passenger briefings don't play anymore or are inaccessible. Anyone know whether that is intentional? I liked those.

They were not able to license the audio for the announcements when it became an official Microsoft product instead of a fan mod.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Cojawfee posted:

To add my 2 cents. I bought the Yoke and Throttle Quadrant back at the end of 2020. Or maybe I got the throttle quadrant beginning of 21. Either way, I was super impressed with the build quality given the cost. As others have said there is definitely a need for a middle ground of products. When its either the logitech yoke that hasn't been changed in 20 years or you're buying replica parts that cost 1000 dollars you're going to miss out on a massive market of people who are maybe like me. I have the money to spend on something that isn't the cheapest thing out there, but I'm also not such an enthusiast that I want to spend thousands of dollars either.

But yeah as it turns out I got very lucky. I got in early, I got the stuff I wanted, and haven't had to RMA anything or wait on some item to be delivered to me. I didn't even realize til about a year ago that they were having so many issues and customers were getting ghosted. I know they talked about supply chain issues back when they launched and it felt credible, but obviously they were loving up bad and using that as cover until they couldn't anymore because we're well pass the supply chain bottlenecks of 2020/21.

All that being said, if what he says is 100 percent true, and a major company audited the books and found it to be true, I think it would possibly make sense to buy in to this. People love a comeback story, the products that actually shipped were actually really solid, and I do believe there is a safe middle ground market that could be sustainable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Caribbean update trailer

https://youtu.be/yqqKZJkosnU?si=HXtvztqxm1mqoFD2

e:
Just checked, I think it's live, updates are pending for MSFS.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 30, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hoo boy, another 22gb world update. Oceania was this big too. Must be the water. Now I really miss the Twin Otter

soggybagel posted:

To add my 2 cents. ....

Absolutely same, I'm thrilled with my Alpha/Bravo setup and am really glad I never dealt with the worst of this poo poo. I really hope they survive, I want to see them survive

EDIT: lol just noticed the seats in the FlybyWire A32nx livery I'm using are backwards

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2024

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Absolutely same, I'm thrilled with my Alpha/Bravo setup and am really glad I never dealt with the worst of this poo poo.

Same here. They're great hardware. My only complaint is that I grossly underestimated their size and footprint holy poo poo they're huge and I have nowhere to put them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My alpha has been great but I've found some annoyances with the Bravo's build quality. Nothing that is crushing or outright broken, just kind of a low-budget feel. I probably would not have noticed if I didn't find my Alpha absolutely delightful in quality. Things just seem to be a little misaligned and either too sticky or too lose on my Bravo. Still though, it is absolutely worth what it delivers. Being able to have a throttle quadrant that is dynamic like that is so awesome.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I get the boot up screens showing off the carribean update but no prompted download and no world update in content manager

presumably they're saving the big release for elite level pilots such as myself?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Have you checked the marketplace? I found a couple updates there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah gotta get it from the marketplace first.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
many thanks, that was the trick. those bastards

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's so clunky

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
With the huge amount of data in all 12? world updates so far I am actually very glad that they do not install automatically unless explicitly selected from the package manager

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No, for sure, but you shouldn't need to go to a marketplace where you buy stuff with real money to get free/included stuff. Not that it's terrible, it just isn't intuitive for those that don't play all the time. But hardly a surprise I guess by this point as they've all basically been like that.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if they're gonna have a big splash screen showing off the new content they could have a lil message saying "go to <whatever> to download"

but im no flight simulator dev expert, just a simple country sim pilot

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

the milk machine posted:

if they're gonna have a big splash screen showing off the new content they could have a lil message saying "go to <whatever> to download"

but im no flight simulator dev expert, just a simple country sim pilot
I feel like they have before but maybe stopped?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is that mandatory update screen that comes up during the splash for patches but not for scenery afaik.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
"World Update" is not really the best term when it's not installed automatically but is just some extra free content you can download. But I don't know what else you could call that sort of thing...

Nope, I got nothing...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can understand Microsofts direction with letting players download that content manually, because its really huge and bloats the game to quite a large install size. But yeah, they just need to communicate it better.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hard to imagine why Microsoft, known for the worst UIs, would stumble on this rare occasion.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Man I can’t stop thinking about Beyond ATC. If it turns out the way they claim - and what I’ve seen so far seems to confirm it, this would be what I’m after since late FS 2004. Specifically, their approach of taking out AI completely and handling in an external sim is a winning idea that will finally make real world EGLL/KJFK busy airspace viable in-game.

Haven’t really played that much in the last 2 years for whatever reason but this poo poo will pull me right back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I upgraded the RAM on my computer from 8 to 32GB and I had to reset some of the game settings as if it were a fresh install because reasons.

I tried to do a flight in the semi-functional but fun 767 to see if it helped things and all I got was knife edge passes and rage quitting when it rolled inverted at FL370 because the autopilot was useless. (The 737 seems to work like a dream now, though.)

slidebite posted:

Caribbean update trailer

https://youtu.be/yqqKZJkosnU?si=HXtvztqxm1mqoFD2

e:
Just checked, I think it's live, updates are pending for MSFS.

Is there a list of the updated airports for the Caribbean update? I've had trouble finding any of them other than SXM. Could be reason enough to dust off the ATR.