Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone know if there's a thread for buying dashcams? Or maybe just a couple of recommended models? I've been meaning to get one, but I've been waffling on it because I have no clue what to look for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anybody know if EKR seat covers are truly safe to use on seats with integrated airbags? 2019 RAV4 hybrid limited to he precise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone know if there's a thread for buying dashcams? Or maybe just a couple of recommended models? I've been meaning to get one, but I've been waffling on it because I have no clue what to look for.

You're in luck

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&pagenumber=163&perpage=40

If I recall correctly, vofio makes a well regarded dash cam.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I am trying to replace the battery in my Volvo V70 but ran into a snag. In their infinite wisdom, Volvo have chosen to route some fairly stiff cable bundles right over the battery clamp. I can just about see the bolt for the clamp but cannot squeeze any socket through to it. There is not enough slack to really lift the wires up much. Is there something obvious I am missing here? How am I meant to unbolt the clamp?

The front of the battery box flexes out a bit at the seam you can see but it does not really help much, as the side remains in place. What options do I have here besides just getting more violent with it?

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 15, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What year is that?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Where do you guys suggest getting the a front-end rebuild kit from? I'd prefer cheap, but the garbage on amazon seems to be, well... garbage. Then you have the other end (Kryptonite) which was 1500. Is there anything decent in-between? I don't need something where I'm going to be 4wheeling, and I don't want to fall apart if you sneeze too hard in the truck. This is something that I think should be new rather than pulling off another truck.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

Where do you guys suggest getting the a front-end rebuild kit from? I'd prefer cheap, but the garbage on amazon seems to be, well... garbage. Then you have the other end (Kryptonite) which was 1500. Is there anything decent in-between? I don't need something where I'm going to be 4wheeling, and I don't want to fall apart if you sneeze too hard in the truck. This is something that I think should be new rather than pulling off another truck.

I'd try piecing something together on https://www.rockauto.com. That's a pretty common truck, so parts should be plentiful. Might not be any kits like you're looking for, but the parts themselves are definitely out there.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Colostomy Bag posted:

What year is that?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I have a 1.9 turbo diesel that snapped an injector line. I cannot find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can have one fabricated? I've called around to local diesel places and it seems most of them are just into rolling coal still in 2024.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
IME not many work on "low" pressure diesels anymore.
Maybe try a machine shop or a hydraulics service facility. They're length matched so whatever is made has to be the exact same length. It may be possible to braze a fix but I wouldn't.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Looking at some things..it seems like those cables should be up above running over the battery from the other side...ugh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Luna posted:

I have a 1.9 turbo diesel that snapped an injector line. I cannot find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can have one fabricated? I've called around to local diesel places and it seems most of them are just into rolling coal still in 2024.

Yeah, what CSB said, a hydraulics repair shop should be able to make one for fairly cheap.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Luna posted:

I dunno much about diesels but if this is a passenger vehicle not something from industry maybe try rockauto.com

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It seems to be a pretty popular item at junkyards. suggests it's probably a common issue with little aftermarket.

Some around here have a whole bunch of used sets listed.

https://canadacatalyst.ca/products/...&pr_seq=uniform

e: depending on year, there does seem to be new ones.Determine your engine code (ALH and such) and use that to search.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 17, 2024

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My little brother drives a 2010 Honda Civic. He was told at his last appointment that his car needed to have an engine valve adjustment done. When the dealership mechanics tried to do so, some parts did not move. They had told him as a result, he would need to replace part of his engine but couldn't give him a timeframe.

Since we're both car illiterate, how serious is this problem and/or should he seek an independent mechanic?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Here is my son, at age 15, adjusting valves.

If they are in fact adjustable (e: they are! Whiny dealer fucks can't loosen the locknuts? WTF): absolutely take it somewhere else, preferably with an old gently caress missing a finger and several teeth. Bonus if he has a shop cat loaded with oil stains.

e: A brief search reveals several videos showing how it's done on your brother's car/engine.

If you're anywhere near Philadelphia, and we can find someplace out of the weather, I'll do it for you in a couple hours.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 18, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

God drat I love this forum sometimes.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I don't understand what could be stuck/not move.

There's the valve cover bolts, then the valve adjustment nuts. Remove the cover/bolts, then set the desired clearance with the nuts, then replace the cover, end of procedure. How did they fail???

I'm not a mechanic, does this civic have like the AC compressor on top of the valve cover or some poo poo?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

DTaeKim posted:

My little brother drives a 2010 Honda Civic. He was told at his last appointment that his car needed to have an engine valve adjustment done. When the dealership mechanics tried to do so, some parts did not move. They had told him as a result, he would need to replace part of his engine but couldn't give him a timeframe.

Since we're both car illiterate, how serious is this problem and/or should he seek an independent mechanic?

Is this really still a thing? My '85 E30 needed valve adjustments but even then I wasn't convinced it was necessary.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RadioPassive posted:

There's the valve cover bolts, then the valve adjustment nuts. Remove the cover/bolts, then set the desired clearance with the nuts, then replace the cover, end of procedure. How did they fail???

I'm not a mechanic, does this civic have like the AC compressor on top of the valve cover or some poo poo?

It's a dealership. They're just trying to play them for suckers and clean their wallets out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is this really still a thing? My '85 E30 needed valve adjustments but even then I wasn't convinced it was necessary.

Gapping is to ensure proper valve-train timing. Improper gap means, at the very least, rough idle.

They can get tight, which means the valve timing on that cylinder will be a bit advanced. Excessive gap results in a retarded condition.

From my experience, the exhaust valves tend to be prone to tightening up.

RadioPassive posted:

The lock nuts holding the tappets can get wicked tight. Some of the oldest scars I have on my hands are from them breaking loose & my paw would go lashing along the valve train.

Maybe no one at the dealership knew how to adjust valve lash; like working on carburetors, it's a dying art.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 18, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So. New GV70, humming/whistling sound kicks in above 75mpg or so from passenger side. First thought was loose windo or gap in seal, but putting pressure anywhere on the window (I tried it everywhere) does not stop it. Lowering the passenger side window does. So my guess is: passenger side mirror has something loose (doubtful- the sound is less like a mechanical vibration and more like when you blow across the mouth of an empty bottle), or some trim piece has some weird gap that is catching the wind just the right way.

I worked the mirror itself all around its range of motion while driving fast enough for it to make the noise, and it never changed in pitch at all or stopped.

Anybody ever run into something similar?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looking at some things..it seems like those cables should be up above running over the battery from the other side...ugh.

Thanks for checking. I decided to get violent, problem solved. Battery box is not in the way if I cut off the battery box wall!

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

It turns out it was an independent mechanic that told him his engine valves needed adjustment, not the dealership. Regardless, he's getting a second opinion.

Thanks for your advice everyone! I would've taken you up on the offer PainterofCrap but we live in the Chicago area sadly.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Hi car people, I need a reference for a portable car battery booster or charger that can work in the freezing cold, available to ship in Canada.
It's incredibly hard to pick anything since the market is saturated with cheap brands that from the reviews seem to fail below -5c. I'd be willing to pay more for something that will last a long time but I can't even fathom what brands are reliable anymore. I have a 2009 CRV with a pretty small battery so it dies a lot if we only do short distances.

Thanks for the help.

so far this model has the least complaints
https://www.amazon.ca/HULKMAN-All-Around-Maintainer-Desulfator-Lithium-ion/dp/B09N79S3WR/

tripwood fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 18, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Get a Noco Boost GB40.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you're a gambler The gooloo boosters are on sale at walmart right now. They're hit or miss for quality control but you get twice the power for half the price. They're well regarded on redflagdeals.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/GOOLOO...49?from=/search

I got the GT4000s for $140 on black friday and it's pretty hefty. I've only boosted a 3.7 liter gasser with it so far but it worked well.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Is it normal to have different compounds of brake pads on the front vs rear? I have a new mechanic friend whose offered to do my brakes if I provide parts and I'm just going by why autozone says is compatible. The car is a 2008 Subaru WRX and it says the WRX model has semi metallic pads in the front and ceramic in the rear for the cheapest Duralast option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's normal. front and rear are basically always doing different amounts of work anyways.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I ordered this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-33266

I got this:

Weird part is the bag it came in is labeled properly. Any idea what the hell this thing is? I haven't had the corresponding axle entirely apart but have found nothing that looks like this.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

I ordered this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-33266

I got this:

Weird part is the bag it came in is labeled properly. Any idea what the hell this thing is? I haven't had the corresponding axle entirely apart but have found nothing that looks like this.
Close, that's a positrac spring, here is a similar one: $166 at Advance Auto

*Fixed link

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you look at the reviews the other 2 buyers also got different wrong things than you got.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Not Wolverine posted:

Close, that's a positrac spring, here is a similar one: $166 at Advance Auto

Ahh, at least it's in the right ballpark. Points for trying I suppose.

Powershift posted:

If you look at the reviews the other 2 buyers also got different wrong things than you got.

Well poo poo, now I'm tempted to order the other 4 they have in stock and see what else I get. C'mon new diff!

Thanks dudes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

Is it normal to have different compounds of brake pads on the front vs rear? I have a new mechanic friend whose offered to do my brakes if I provide parts and I'm just going by why autozone says is compatible. The car is a 2008 Subaru WRX and it says the WRX model has semi metallic pads in the front and ceramic in the rear for the cheapest Duralast option.

I disagree that this is normal, I've never heard of getting different compounds. It might be fine but I think it's unusual.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, to clarify, a lot of vehicles have mixed pads front/rear, some intentionally, most because only one axle was serviced. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If you don't have the pads yet I would get ceramic all around if only for the reduced brake dust. If you're broke as hell and the price of one or the other is too much they can be mixed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 19, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
$166 for some stamped steel?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

$166 is mostly paying rent on the square footage those stamping dies take up on the shelf, I imagine.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Does anyone know what's behind so many shop manuals suddenly wanting the transmission in neutral to drain a rear diff?

I'm tempted to ignore it, but maybe something has actually changed recently.

Note we're talking about a basic "remove plugs, drain, fill" service here, not one of the zany Mercedes ones involving a scan tool and the wheels being free-spun by hand.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Is it generic verbage if the transmission is part of the rear transaxle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even then it shouldn't matter. I've never seen any transmission where they care what gear it's in while draining, and for automatics you usually have to run them through the range while filling / level checking anyway.

For my fleet of live axle vehicles I also can't fathom any way where rotating the ring gear would help during a drain and refill. Four of the axles I have, have no drain plug and you just pull the cover, and there's nothing more than a film of oil on the gears. The Canyon does have a drain plug on its axle but it's just a slightly beefier Dana 44 inside anyway.