Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
"X called in sick. What cost centre do I use for the rest of the team being unproductive as we don't have the minimum number of people required?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Good that worrying guy is gone, and that his self-destruction makes team rebellion less likely.
Good that you didn't have to make the call and get blamed.
Terrible that you are now on barebones staff.

Could have been worse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Maybe they should be down another person and you leave?

Yeah Sundae has a very comfortable pair of handcuffs on, but it might be time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"Everything sucks, business as usual"

unrelated on a 5:45 call with a customer who has the WORST microphone connection I don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I can only imagine the conversation with HR went something like "I don't see why this is such a big deal, I've done far worse! Let me explain..."

I also don't see how freezing the headcount won't backfire spectacularly. There's gonna be a day when someone calls off and it absolutely fucks up a timeline. Is there a scenario where this happens and the blame lies with the people who made the call?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Hotel Kpro posted:

Is there a scenario where this happens and the blame lies with the people who made the call?

If there were, the call probably wouldn't have been made.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hotel Kpro posted:

I also don't see how freezing the headcount won't backfire spectacularly. There's gonna be a day when someone calls off and it absolutely fucks up a timeline. Is there a scenario where this happens and the blame lies with the people who made the call?

there occasionally is (as recently as 2018) in banking: https://www.fincen.gov/news/news-releases/fincen-penalizes-us-bank-official-corporate-anti-money-laundering-failures

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I can only imagine the conversation with HR went something like "I don't see why this is such a big deal, I've done far worse! Let me explain..."

1) "I say stuff like this to everyone! Here, just ask these people. *list of names*"
2) "It's my responsibility as a person to tell people this. You need to be healthy to be a good worker, so of course I need to remind them about watching their weights."
3) "I never had daughters of my own, so she's like a daughter to me!" :redflag:

and my personal favorite and the part that changed my mind from "motherfucking idiot" to "gtfo right now" was...

4)

HR: "One of the complaints here is that, after you asked her and she informed you that she lived with her boyfriend, you told her 'Be careful - if it doesn't work out, guys don't like someone who's tried thirty flavors of ice cream before them.' Any comment?"
Old Guy: "We were talking about ice cream."

No, you weren't. You know you weren't. We all know you weren't. All you did by saying that in the HR interview was convince them that they couldn't trust any of your other answers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hotel Kpro posted:

Is there a scenario where this happens and the blame lies with the people who made the call?

If you left it up to the executives, they'd have a single dude build the Brooklyn bridge with whatever branches he could forage.

And the problem is that, the dude's name is Frank and he's gonna somehow pull it off, thus reinforcing their bad behavior.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 17, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

re: 3/4 why is HR even telling you this poo poo, the exact quotes, is that normal procedure in your corporate world? i figured their communication would just be "we have fired xyz for cause"

pmchem fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dudes are fuckin gross

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sundae posted:

1) "I say stuff like this to everyone! Here, just ask these people. *list of names*"

I laughed.

pmchem posted:

re: 3/4 why is HR even telling you this poo poo, the exact quotes, is that normal procedure in your corporate world? i figured their communication would just be "we have fired xyz for cause"

Probably still want Sundae to make the decision so they can keep their perfect record of making no decisions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

2) "It's my responsibility as a person to tell people this. You need to be healthy to be a good worker, so of course I need to remind them about watching their weights."
3) "I never had daughters of my own, so she's like a daughter to me!" :redflag:

and my personal favorite and the part that changed my mind from "motherfucking idiot" to "gtfo right now" was...

4)

HR: "One of the complaints here is that, after you asked her and she informed you that she lived with her boyfriend, you told her 'Be careful - if it doesn't work out, guys don't like someone who's tried thirty flavors of ice cream before them.' Any comment?"

No, you weren't. You know you weren't. We all know you weren't. All you did by saying that in the HR interview was convince them that they couldn't trust any of your other answers.

A+, no notes.

Like seriously this is what you see in the mandatory training videos about what not to do.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To add to the corporate fuckups, my friend’s Director-level shared his screen at a meeting today.

They had a chat window open where he was mocking the accent of an associate that was also in the meeting

The associate called them out on it.

It is now a thing.

Edit: forgot to add that Director-level is a famous rear end in a top hat at the company who everyone hates but brings in a lot of money so we’ll see how it goes, but it’s some good schadenfraude.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

4)

I know it's harder to see/believe this when you're actually in the situation, but you already knew this was the case:

Motronic posted:

Yeah, if he's using PUA/incel language at work we're way beyond innocence/clueless.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dpkg chopra posted:

To add to the corporate fuckups, my friend’s Director-level shared his screen at a meeting today.

They had a chat window open where he was mocking the accent of an associate that was also in the meeting

It is now a thing.

Goddamn, wow. Hopefully someone was quick on the screenshot key.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

It is now a thing.

Edit: forgot to add that Director-level is a famous rear end in a top hat at the company who everyone hates but brings in a lot of money so we’ll see how it goes, but it’s some good schadenfraude.

Oh drat it is so very very very important to not talk poo poo about people on company computers for several reasons and screen sharing is definitely one of them. I just save the smack talk to deniable discord handles and dead gay forums.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Renegret posted:

If you left it up to the executives, they'd have a single dude build the Brooklyn bridge with whatever branches he could forage.

And the problem is that, the dude's name is Frank and he's gonna somehow pull it off, thus reinforcing their bad behavior.

I've been Frank.

Don't be Frank. It's a fun ride for a while but...don't be Frank.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

pmchem posted:

They're almost certainly going to try and still get Sundae to try and be responsible for whatever happens, so Sundae needs to know all the goings on.
On the bright side it means we get all the tea, so who's to say if it's good or bad :shrug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

priznat posted:

Oh drat it is so very very very important to not talk poo poo about people on company computers for several reasons and screen sharing is definitely one of them. I just save the smack talk to deniable discord handles and dead gay forums.

I threw a slam on an executive to a Director on teams today. Immediately deleted it and resent it over signal from my phone. Sometimes you have momentary lapses of reason.

Other times you screen share stupid poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We've had an official warning from our manager to keep it professional in chat, people screenshot poo poo.

So that's cool

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dpkg chopra posted:

It is now a thing.

Good on the associate, I hope they at least have a screenshot so they can demand severance when they get laid off for unrelated reasons in 3 months.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
As I understand it, several people were in the meeting and the dude started apologizing profusely so it’s pretty much a settled fact that it happened.

I doubt there’ll be actual consequences, though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The guy’s probably received marching orders to have a truly exceptional year of revenue generation to help higher ups memory hole the situation entirely.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

docbeard posted:

I've been Frank.

Don't be Frank. It's a fun ride for a while but...don't be Frank.

I'd like to formally apologize to the thread for just assuming that they'd hire a man for a construction project.

The execs would definitely hire a woman, so they can pay her 27% less.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

priznat posted:

The employer reason:
"I need remote desktop to the company laptop so I can extend the display to one of my monitors. I'm much more productive that way."

The real reason:
Dedicating a third monitor to my personal computer where I have a non company chat window up to talk (non racist) poo poo with a co worker to maintain our sanity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Renegret posted:

I'd like to formally apologize to the thread for just assuming that they'd hire a man for a construction project.

The execs would definitely hire a woman, so they can pay her 27% less.

Ah, the intersection of capital's desire to retain wealth with the patriarchy's desire to belittle women.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Found out today at the dentist my dental insurance is nonexistent, definitely remember signing up for it when I started. Gonna be fun figuring that out

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

priznat posted:

I'm looking forward to the day I get asked why I spend so much time in huddles on Slack. They're not going to like the answer being "I'm trying to work out if your entire revenue generating team wants to jump after less than a year or if it's just me".

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
This afternoon I’m supposed to present my findings on why near miss reporting* cratered last quarter.

Last quarter they rolled out a new reporting structure that generates at a minimum 3 hours worth of paperwork to report a near miss.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

priznat posted:

Reminds me recently when I called out some of our management for being absolute incompetent clowns. The IT Director got pissed about it until I pointed out all the times I'd reached out to him for info/approvals because of legit work stoppages or vendor issues & got absolutely zero replies back. Also called out his manager for all the times she's dropped poo poo on our support desk or systems/network teams at the last minute with zero planning, communication or coordination to any of us about it. Last time it happened was an "emergency" network change she wanted done & told that team they'd have to work after hours...to which all of them essentially replied ":lol: Unless it's gone through the proper channels for testing/approval, it ain't happening". She has a bad habit of trying to force bullshit changes through without following established processes & I hope she gets shitcanned ASAP.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
For the last, like, seven months, engineering has been working on a new apple-coring feature. It's not directly customer-facing; it's being done because some other in-progress, customer-facing features won't work correctly if the apples aren't cored, so we're coring the apples.

I get hauled into a meeting today and learn that sales has been under the belief that the new apple-coring feature will peel bananas. They've been proudly announcing our upcoming ability to peel bananas to customers and putting it in timelines, and have only just learned that while banana-peeling has been briefly, aspirationally discussed, it is neither scoped nor planned. They are blaming the "communication issue" that caused this on us, despite nobody being able to provide any examples of engineering telling them that banana-peeling was in progress. The sole exception is an internal doc entitled "Banana Peeling," which is less damning than it sounds, because the end of the leading summary paragraph says "we are not currently working on peeling bananas." The head angry sales guy commented on the document.

The kicker is that head angry guy also thinks that "apple-coring" is a really misleading name for a feature that peels bananas.

raminasi fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 19, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sounds like you documented things sensibly, and as a result this unfortunate situation is the problem of the assholes who caused it rather than anyone else.

Popcorn o'clock.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Atopian posted:

Sounds like you documented things sensibly, and as a result this unfortunate situation is the problem of the assholes who caused it rather than anyone else.

Popcorn o'clock.

I'd be more sanguine if I weren't in charge of apple coring and up for promotion in six months, and angry sales guy wasn't also the CEO and one of two cofounders. At this point I see this as a moment of truth for the other cofounder, who is the CTO: Your counterpart is trying to blame your organization for his organization's fuckup. Do you go to bat for your people or roll over?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

raminasi posted:

I'd be more sanguine if I weren't in charge of apple coring and up for promotion in six months, and angry sales guy wasn't also the CEO and one of two cofounders. At this point I see this as a moment of truth for the other cofounder, who is the CTO: Your counterpart is trying to blame your organization for his organization's fuckup. Do you go to bat for your people or roll over?

I'm going to make a prediction, and it's not good.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

CTO is going to get a rug burn from rolling over so hard

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Hey I didn't say I was optimistic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
tbh the outcome I would be trying to manage toward in this case is a severance.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
When they ask me where I see myself in five years:

Volmarias posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd bet money AI is in the mix of apple coring and banana peeling. Nothing makes people lose their minds on regular software delivery like AI.