Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arishtat posted:

What winter projects does everyone have lined up?

Getting fat and forgetting everything I learned in year 1 of mountain biking.

Is it bad to ride if the roads have been salted? We're supposed to have some above-freezing days next week, there's no way I'm gonna hit actual trails as they're probably pure slush but I might take my bike out on a MUP just to get some saddle time in. I haven't ridden since early November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's -4c here but a night ride is on the cards for tonight! There's something very satisfying about frozen dry trails when it should be muddy and wet in January.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Arishtat posted:

What winter projects does everyone have lined up?

Did the rear shock service, and changed the front brake to a 4 pot.
Currently doing a 200 hour service on my front fork and switching to 150mm travel. Just needed the 50 hour service, but got the full kit so what the hell.
Then it's check the bearings, clean and wax the chain, clean the drivetrain, clean the frame, check the torques on everything, and I may change out the shifter cable.

I'm also thinking of trying MTB Strong https://traintoride.com to keep more fit and change my workout up.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I’m my winter project, I’ve got my first enduro in May so I need to be fit right out the gate in spring. Been in the gym 2-3 times a week since October and I’m adding in 7-10 hours on the trainer now doing base training. Will switch to a build in phase mid march and dial back the gym, then I’ve got a week of riding in Italy the first week of May to get comfy on actual trails again.

I normally have trouble sticking to long term goals but all the structure is helping and I feel more fit now than I usually do mid-season.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Swapping my Ripley AF components to a new DV9 frame. So far it’s 7lbs of weight savings I can dedicate to staying fat.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Does going from SRAM to Shimano brakes count? It's very much babby's first upgrades territory but up until now I've only ever used stock bikes. Hydraulic brakes, dropper post, and tubeless are incredible having not used them before. Which I guess is why everyone does them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I’m my winter project, I’ve got my first enduro in May so I need to be fit right out the gate in spring. Been in the gym 2-3 times a week since October and I’m adding in 7-10 hours on the trainer now doing base training. Will switch to a build in phase mid march and dial back the gym, then I’ve got a week of riding in Italy the first week of May to get comfy on actual trails again.

I normally have trouble sticking to long term goals but all the structure is helping and I feel more fit now than I usually do mid-season.

I did something similar last year, where I hit the stationary bike and did some other workouts all winter and it made a huge difference in how well I rode in spring.

It all went to poo poo when my disc fragment attacked my sciatic nerve in April, but those first few weeks I was killing it on the trails.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

gonna try to do more XC races this year so kinda same...there's not really much of a winter off season in the SF Bay Area, but trying to do more work to help my back out and get my body in better overall shape

Then I just gotta actually sign up for and plan for some more races...

Might swap in a new damper for my fork so I can set it up with a remote but we'll see about that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

Is it bad to ride if the roads have been salted? We're supposed to have some above-freezing days next week, there's no way I'm gonna hit actual trails as they're probably pure slush but I might take my bike out on a MUP just to get some saddle time in. I haven't ridden since early November.

hose your bike off after, clean/dry/lube the chain, and it'll be fine

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PoorPeteBest posted:

Swapping my Ripley AF components to a new DV9 frame. So far it’s 7lbs of weight savings I can dedicate to staying fat.

Are you duct taping the shock to the seat tube? More potential weight savings to be had.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hose your bike off after, clean/dry/lube the chain, and it'll be fine

Outdoor water's all turned off and hoses put away for the winter. Maybe I should just take up skiing.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

kimbo305 posted:

Are you duct taping the shock to the seat tube? More potential weight savings to be had.

The shock will be left behind. DV9 is a hard tail.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

prom candy posted:

Outdoor water's all turned off and hoses put away for the winter. Maybe I should just take up skiing.

just take it into the shower with you

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

prom candy posted:

Muc Off makes a waterless cleaner that works well. I'm sure there are others as well. I use that in the winter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

prom candy posted:

Outdoor water's all turned off and hoses put away for the winter.

The portable garden sprayer delivers once again. :smugdog:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the real multitool. going to start bringing one on rides

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just don’t, like, force water and salt and sand into the hubs/bottom bracket/headset/etc.

That goes for hoses, too. You want to get the salt off, not create more problems.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Platystemon posted:

Just don’t, like, force water and salt and sand into the hubs/bottom bracket/headset/etc.

That goes for hoses, too. You want to get the salt off, not create more problems.

Decently sealed bearings shouldn't really have an issue with a garden hose unless you're really blasting right at them for awhile

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
The Ripmo has basically been copping a rest in the frigid cold basement. Anything I need to do to avoid problems come springtime? possibly tubeless tires going asunder? Shocks leaking to beat the band? any winter maintenance needs doing?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Since I just replaced the rear shock, all other winter maint has been fixing up the bike haulin car and getting it tuned so I dont worry that it'll blow up on the highway.

Oh I did get a new top wiper seal for the dropper post so I wont have to clean mud out of the whole thing quite as often.

I also lost said seal and can't find it. Oh well, I have until April.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

What do you guys use for wall hanging helmet storage?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have some cheap little wood hooks taped to the wall. found them at target

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have bike hooks in the garage and just hang the helmets on the seats, but you could just hang them by the straps on any size screw-in hook.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Recommendations for winter riding chain lube?

I have some good dry weather stuff, and some goopy wet weather stuff, but neither seems to handle mud well.

Is it always going to be a battle to keep the drivetrain cleanish out is there some magic oil or grease out there?

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
I really liked Rock N Roll Extreme when I was commuting in everyday through the MN winter. Good ratio of effort to apply and protection.

The conditions were less muddy, but there is a feel of a lot of sand, salt, and grit around here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

It's fine just wash down with warm water when you get home and re-lube.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

evil_bunnY posted:

It's fine just wash down with warm water when you get home and re-lube.

Thanks but what do I do about the bike

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
:chloe:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

New bike day! 2022 Nukeproof Mega 290 Carbon Elite.

Need to cut off some excess dropper cable and convert tires to tubeless. The brakes also feel squishy so I'm going to have to bleed them.

I was looking for more of a trail bike but the price on this one was too good to pass up. It's not a super aggressive enduro geo so hopefully it still pedals reasonably well. Weather is crap here but should be able to get out tomorrow to ride it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Scrapez posted:

Need to cut off some excess dropper cable

you ain't lyin, dang

I need to shorten up my cables on my Blur though so who am I to talk

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Levitate posted:

you ain't lyin, dang

I need to shorten up my cables on my Blur though so who am I to talk

Yeah I had them assemble it. They have to leave it long enough for someone that runs the seat post at minimum insertion but holy crap. Even at minimum that cable would be a foot too long.

The bike feels just like my Megawatt as expected fit wise. That was a big driver in getting it. The bike fits me perfectly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah I ran all my cables new and just got a little too conservative. it's not bad just...eh, could be cleaner.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Need to cut off some excess dropper cable and convert tires to tubeless. The brakes also feel squishy so I'm going to have to bleed them.

I was looking for more of a trail bike but the price on this one was too good to pass up. It's not a super aggressive enduro geo so hopefully it still pedals reasonably well. Weather is crap here but should be able to get out tomorrow to ride it.

That yellow looks great. It probably won’t ever feel like a sprightly and responsive rocket on the flats, but with that Fox 38 and X2 there’s virtually no terrain you can’t crush. It’s basically bike park ready while still being perfectly fine to pedal, which isn’t a bad compromise.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tacier posted:

That yellow looks great. It probably won’t ever feel like a sprightly and responsive rocket on the flats, but with that Fox 38 and X2 there’s virtually no terrain you can’t crush. It’s basically bike park ready while still being perfectly fine to pedal, which isn’t a bad compromise.

This was my experience moving from an xc frankenbike to my current Ripmo. Downhills are a dream. Pedaling uphill isn't as lightning fast as before, but speed is still mostly dependent on my effort (and current fitness level). And the uphill upshot is that it's a lot easier to tackle uphill technical features.

For a one bike quiver, it's about as good as it gets.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Maudib Arakkis posted:

The Ripmo has basically been copping a rest in the frigid cold basement. Anything I need to do to avoid problems come springtime? possibly tubeless tires going asunder? Shocks leaking to beat the band? any winter maintenance needs doing?

You could service your shock and fork depending on how many hours you have on them.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

This was my experience moving from an xc frankenbike to my current Ripmo. Downhills are a dream. Pedaling uphill isn't as lightning fast as before, but speed is still mostly dependent on my effort (and current fitness level). And the uphill upshot is that it's a lot easier to tackle uphill technical features.

For a one bike quiver, it's about as good as it gets.

I find in bigger bikes that my desire to push through at a hard effort level is pretty low. I’ll put good watts in and still be going kind of slow. Compared to the XC bike there’s a much more immediate feedback there. Still love riding a bigger bike for the fun downhill though. I think if I had one bike, a Ripmo more than I’d want. Probably Tallboy/Ripley type of bike instead.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
For me the uphills are a means to an end to enjoy the downs, so I want to have a bike that feels incredible going down while still being comfortable on the ups. I don't care about speed on the uphill sections but I surprisingly do have a couple of top 10s on strava on uphill segments on my 170mm 18kg enduro rig!

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Sadly didn't get any of pics but had a great ride today with the little on the kids ride shotgun thing that you guys recommended. Now the weather is brightening up a little it's time to hit the trails!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

vikingstrike posted:

I find in bigger bikes that my desire to push through at a hard effort level is pretty low. I’ll put good watts in and still be going kind of slow. Compared to the XC bike there’s a much more immediate feedback there. Still love riding a bigger bike for the fun downhill though. I think if I had one bike, a Ripmo more than I’d want. Probably Tallboy/Ripley type of bike instead.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaame

My "big" bike is a Pivot Trail 429 and it's still only 120mm rear travel with a 130mm Fox 34 on front. Compared to a real XC bike (I have a 100x100 but I think even a 115x120 has similar characteristics) the XC bike just caries speed while pedaling so much better.
Of course in general the Pivot is a lot better going down on rougher stuff and bigger hits and a lot of that is probably just the heavier suspension components, but geometry and overall suspension design plays a big role I think.

All that said, yeah a modern short travel trail bike can handle so much and be a very good pedling bike. Ripley/Tallboy as mentioned, Trail 429, anything in that "downcountry" range, though I think the term is dumb.

I'm a pretty strong rider watts/kg so I like being able to go uphill fast sometimes and enjoy how awesome it is to rip on a fast XC bike on flowy up and down trails.

Tires also make a drat huge difference too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I was worried when i bought the Optic the travel would hold me back going down and it really doesn't at all, I'm not very fast but I can hit the jumps and drops on the blue lines and I've never once thought "gee I wish I had more suspension for that part"

If you're trying to rocket down at mach 1 for sure it'll matter but the compromise is uphill efficiency and imo if you're climbing for 30 minutes and descending for 5 I know where the return on investment is...