Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

OctaMurk posted:

If it looks absolutely splotchy and awful and watery but i did get it everywhere, then I am primed ?

Yeah, it'll look atrocious but the part that the paint sticks to isn't the visible part; give it a couple coats if you're not 100% sure. I think you're also supposed to leave it to cure for a little while (12 hours the bottle says). After that though if you want an even colour just go over it with a proper basecoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Thought it looked a bit too splotchy for its own good, even after multiple coats, but fair point. I'll give it a go for my second attempt with the model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What happened to everyone being wild about gesso lol

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I've had Vallejo white and grey primers be really mediocre-looking coveragewise when painted on, but my bottle of the German Red Brown paints on smooth and even like a painted-chocolate confectionary

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think German Red Brown has a lot more pigment in it, I tried mixing it with their black primer 50/50 and it still mostly came out red I think.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

JBP posted:

What happened to everyone being wild about gesso lol

Oh man I remember that fad as well. The thinking was you'd slather on the gesso and it would shrink as it dried, conforming to all the details on the model. Problem was it would shrink and crack on flat areas, and on really detailed areas it clog up the details. I think the rapid increase in detail on models made it unviable, I could see it working on stuff like Reaper models that are a lot softer sculpts. It was also quite fragile as I recall, handling your models during games would take off entire patches of paint off the bare plastic.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

New mandrakes!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
New Kroot, like four different units. "What's shown today is only some of what's coming." So... I guess they're not showing the hounds?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

five units even. they're talking up a Kroot-only detachment also

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Assessor of Maat posted:

Five units and they said this is "about half" of the new Kroot units they're releasing. So... probably four more? None of these are the big lizard rider they showed in silhouette, and the hounds are also missing.

...would all that plus the kill team make Kroot more supported as an army than the Leagues of Voltann?

(GW I forgive you for not doing a Vespid kill team with this release I guess.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 19, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Stephenls posted:

Five units and they said this is "about half" of the new Kroot units they're releasing. So... probably four more? None of these are the big lizard rider they showed in silhouette, and the hounds are also missing.

...would all that plus the kill team make Kroot more supported as an army than the Leagues of Voltann?

(GW I forgive you for not doing a Vespid kill team with this release I guess.)

lol, it'd be pretty close.

Rider is probably a Knarloc, so if that's for a unit of them, possibly a character on a mount too or maybe Great Knarloc for the other "half"?

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 19, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So tau are going to have a huge melee component? That changes them up pretty drastically.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Welp I've always said I'd be forced to buy into Tau if they ever let me run a pure Kroot list, and it looks like I'm going to have to empty out my wallet. And there's still another wave coming, drat. Absolutely love the old school sci-fi vibe they've got.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Those Auxilia models look great. Wild how much better the Malcador looks than the Dorn, from an IG aesthetics angle.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The new kroot army is legit incredible, very tempting, and the new imperial guard faction they showed off in horus heresy is super incredible.

also that AOS inquisitor squad is 100% gonna be a 40k proxy lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Assessor of Maat posted:

Goddamnit, they got me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kroot look awesome!!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Love those mandrakes, dang

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya those Mandrakes look dope for sure but that Krootbox looks rad as hell. :homebrew:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Krootox Riders are gonna be $40 for one model and you can have 3 squads of 1-3 and they'll be 25 points per model and the kit will have an alt build for a new unit. Where is your Omnissiah now, Admech?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The most important reveal:

a tiny little kroothound puppy :neckbeard:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Geisladisk posted:

It's horrifingly cute.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

Who's a good little krupper?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah the kroot army is a complete homerun from GW and the fact that theyre still gonna anounce four more units is crazy awesome

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Curious as to what my warhammer friends are going to react harder to on our discord, the Mandrakes or the Kroot.

Meanwhile I wouldn't mind the Solar Auxilia box if it wasn't for that goofy rear end sentinel. But the Leman Russ in it's basic configurations is going to see a lot of use as a Command Tank, that's for sure.
Hell, I'd do it too just to paint a different one.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Devorum posted:

Those Auxilia models look great. Wild how much better the Malcador looks than the Dorn, from an IG aesthetics angle.

Are the Malcador and Dorn similar in size? I wouldn't mind having one more big tank for my IG, but the Dorn isn't very exciting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Otherwise the Malcador does have rules in the Imperial Armor index as I recall. Which is odd that they didn't mention that when strictly saying there won't be any crossover rules.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Kroot look super cool but I don't think I need another army right now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
What's the lore on the Dorn tank anyways? New found STC? Always been around? Refinement of an older pattern?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Like most other new units, it’s always been there just out of frame

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I like to think that everyone thought they too were Leman Russes, until two armoured regiments from opposite sides of the galaxy meet on some campaign and the enginseers start brawling over the difference.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looks like some guy came up with it 20 years ago https://www.angelfire.com/ultra/world_of_warhammer/rogaldorn.html

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Super Waffle posted:

Oh man I remember that fad as well. The thinking was you'd slather on the gesso and it would shrink as it dried, conforming to all the details on the model. Problem was it would shrink and crack on flat areas, and on really detailed areas it clog up the details. I think the rapid increase in detail on models made it unviable, I could see it working on stuff like Reaper models that are a lot softer sculpts. It was also quite fragile as I recall, handling your models during games would take off entire patches of paint off the bare plastic.

I still use gesso to prime models. It's not really any better or different than another brush-on primer. :shrug: The main advantage is that I can prime a couple models on a whim without worrying about temperature or humidity, and if I gently caress it up it's way easier to clean up than a bad spray prime. I've never had it clog up details any worse than overspraying would cause, both cases it's just a matter of applying correctly. I also haven't had anything flake off that way. You are right about large flat areas, the way it shrinks means you'll often get gaps or cracks form on big areas, so I don't use it for things like tanks.

The biggest issue is that if you are too generous with it on close areas it can sort of web together - like if a arm sits very close to the body and you aren't careful applying, you can end up with a little bridge of gesso between the two pieces. Also applies to small gaps, like a loop of fabric or a mesh panel. Not hard to avoid though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Decorus posted:

Are the Malcador and Dorn similar in size? I wouldn't mind having one more big tank for my IG, but the Dorn isn't very exciting.

Guestimating from photos, I think they might be roughly the same length but the Dorn is taller and wider.
Comparison between the Malcador and Leman Russ:

Comparison between the Russ and the Dorn (and Baneblade)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Geisladisk posted:

Extremely important

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Curious as to what my warhammer friends are going to react harder to on our discord, the Mandrakes or the Kroot.

Meanwhile I wouldn't mind the Solar Auxilia box if it wasn't for that goofy rear end sentinel. But the Leman Russ in it's basic configurations is going to see a lot of use as a Command Tank, that's for sure.

I loving adore the goofy refrigerator sentinel, it owns

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Man I actually love the sentinel. I want to get some of the solar auxilia for use as a kill team actually

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eh, not sold on it myself. Okay with everything else in comparison though. But I'd probably just use the infantry as voidsmen for a Rogue Trader than Guardsmen.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Guestimating from photos, I think they might be roughly the same length but the Dorn is taller and wider.
Comparison between the Malcador and Leman Russ:

Pretty sure that kit isn't too different from the old FW one so there should be plenty of comparison pics of it with Russes around.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure that kit isn't too different from the old FW one so there should be plenty of comparison pics of it with Russes around.

well yeah, that lines up with my photo collage. idk if there's direct comparisons with the Dorn anywhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So 2 of the other 4 Kroot kits are gonna be the Gnarloc and new Kroot Hounds they already teased, but very curious to see what they whip up for the other two. My guess is some sort of sniper and maybe a more elite infantry unit. Other than that all they'd really need is a transport of some kind to be able to cover all the bases - maybe the Gnarloc could have some weird alternate loadout so it's basically a Kroot version of the Hammerhead / Devilfish.