Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
MP2 has the best version of the theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u116HbMOF_Y

also :rip: james mccaffrey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm in the middle of mp2 right now for my post aw2 remedy verse playthrough, and this time I'm actually waiting around to watch all the TV shows and it's kinda funny how the game is short enough that doing so has like doubled my play time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

I'm in the middle of mp2 right now for my post aw2 remedy verse playthrough, and this time I'm actually waiting around to watch all the TV shows and it's kinda funny how the game is short enough that doing so has like doubled my play time

i finished the game in one afternoon once, i think legit like 3 hours, when I was just skipping cutscenes etc...

i love that game, i think it's one of the first games i ever bought with my own money

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Max Payne 2 was one of my favorite games in the early 00s just cause of the insane amount of mods and that Matrix gun fueled power fantasy we were all craving in those days.

Dead Man Walking mode was such a blast with the physics engine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Get a load of this nostalgia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8CnxJz2bm8

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FANATICAL just dropped a Bundle Builder with a few things might be of interest here

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-shooter-bundle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FANATICAL just dropped a Bundle Builder with a few things might be of interest here

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-shooter-bundle

That's...quite a savings. Thing is, I own all of the games I really care about already, so right now I'm looking at Viscerafest, Hong Kong Massacre, and Oddworld HD, all games I'm vaguely interested in and would probably never buy piecemeal, but for that price, hey, why not.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Get a load of this nostalgia:
This was my favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jaYCyhwCO4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

MP2 has the best version of the theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u116HbMOF_Y

also :rip: james mccaffrey

It also has Late Goodbye, the first and far from the last time Remedy worked with Poets of the Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsiE44Lz_w

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Sweet, Civvie's out-now-for-patrons video is on the '09 Wolfenstein.

Also didn't want to miss out so just confirming: Max Payne owns.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Angryhead posted:

Also didn't want to miss out so just confirming: Max Payne owns.

I really enjoyed the 09 Wolfenstein. Much as The New Order is good fun, the the pulpy Indiana Jones-esque magical nonsense side of the franchise has always been my preferred bit.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I really enjoyed the 09 Wolfenstein. Much as The New Order is good fun, the the pulpy Indiana Jones-esque magical nonsense side of the franchise has always been my preferred bit.

Big :same:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

but how do people feel about Max Payne 3? A decade later and I'm still not sure how to feel about it. I love the big tonal swings it takes but the shooting never really "clicked" for me like it did in the originals.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Narcissus1916 posted:

but how do people feel about Max Payne 3? A decade later and I'm still not sure how to feel about it. I love the big tonal swings it takes but the shooting never really "clicked" for me like it did in the originals.

I liked the story, it's very Man on Fire but yeah the shooting isn't as satisfying and Max is INCREDIBLY fragile compared to the first two games and there's a lot of doing the same sections over and over again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I played it on Xbox recently and absolutely loved it. I think it's incredible. The story is good and the gunplay feels amazing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The important thing about MP3 (lol) is they got max's voice actor back and he fuckin NAILS IT

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Angryhead posted:

gently caress yeah, love Wolf '09.

"He's got a particle cannon!"

*fwoomph*

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Wolf09's patented "Nazis throw themselves screaming over railings at the slightest provocation" technology remains unparalleled to this day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Narcissus1916 posted:

i played it about a month ago and while the mechanics are good the writing is awful and you can really tell its not a remedy game anymore

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I never played Wolf09 because iirc it wasn't on Steam or something?

Wanna revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstein though. Great game. And Enemy Territory is one of the best multi-player shooters ever. Wonder if it's still going.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolf09 was decent but it was one of those games like Thi4f that had a pointless hub area you were better off sprinting through than engaging with in any way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wolf09 was decent but it was one of those games like Thi4f that had a pointless hub area you were better off sprinting through than engaging with in any way.

Except there’s actually a ton of upgrades and currency hidden around the hubs, which is what stopped my play through. I couldn’t find a good map of the various poo poo to find, so it got frustrating, not fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc the hub town also had the far cry 2 problem of every time you hit a load screen all the guys respawned, so you never really cleared anything out and you just end up having to sprint through guys shooting at you because gently caress you i don't wanna do this again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's been a couple years since my playthrough but I don't recall that being much of an issue. Either I grabbed that stuff early or stopped caring, but I definitely spent the latter half of the game ignoring all the annoying encounters that spawn in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's always confused me is Wolf09's bad reputation. Not to say I think it's a masterpiece, but I remember having a good time and it's Raven doing what Raven always does, putting out a pretty good game.

All I can guess is that it's the 09 part, by which I mean that might've been around the time people were getting sick of Call of Duty and getting sick of "dumbed down baby console games".

I actually wish anybody had paid attention to it just for the format. I always thought the lite open world/big main mission maps/small side mission maps setup was interesting.

e: somewhat beaten

FWIW I don't remember respawning enemies either, at least not in the traditional sense. What I recall is that as you completed story missions the nazi presence would change in the hub. But on any particular visit you could readily clear the maps of enemies. But I also don't remember any of that stuff bogging the game down in the first place. :shrug:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 18, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It ran like absolute poo poo on console so that probably didn’t help its rep

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

catlord posted:

gently caress yeah, love Wolf '09.

"He's got a particle cannon!"

*fwoomph*

Fwoomphenstein

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Wolf ‘09 was late and dreadfully over budget, and I seem to remember the overall reaction as indifference. I thought it had most of Quake 4’s paint-by-numbers problems only worse - I went to the trouble of buying a secondhand copy after it stopped being sold digitally, and thought it looked lousy and was basically treading the same ground as RtCW, but with a hub system faffing things up. Even the clothing and costume designs rubbed me the wrong way, which probably sounds dumb, but I am not kidding when I say that I was very much past any appeal the game had to offer. I can’t say enough good things about The New Order by comparison, even if it has the id Tech 5 problem of looking like an overcompressed JPEG.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 18, 2024

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Tried playing Wolf09 not too long ago and it felt extremely, painfully of its time, which was a good reminder of why the "CoD clone" era sucked so hard since *everything* got dragged into that nasty milsim muck, and hence why threads such as this exist in the first place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Max Payne 3 is the best Max Payne (if patched to allow cutscene skip) and its not even close

I never played Wolfen9 so Im excited for when that barfs out onto game pass.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Civvie's next video is on Wolf '09, so practice your discourse now, before the rest of the internet dives in!

my bony fealty posted:

I never played Wolf09 because iirc it wasn't on Steam or something?

Wanna revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstein though. Great game. And Enemy Territory is one of the best multi-player shooters ever. Wonder if it's still going.
It was on Steam, but was removed from sale at some point during Id getting acquired by Zenimax. I assume it'll return sometime this year.

Enemy Territory is still online, and indeed got a re-release of sorts through Steam and GOG last year, with some official vanilla servers thrown online to poke out of the ocean of mods.

In other news, DuskDev's punted out a slightly enhanced standalone version of another one of his DreadXP compilation games, the made-in-a-week Doom 3 tribute The Pony Factory.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I only played 2009 a couple years ago and I absolutely loved it, easily my favorite Wolfenstein game.

But I also like Quake 4 so take that with a grain of salt.

e: Speaking of that Fanatical bundle - is there anything past the obvious New Blood and Id franchises worth getting? Is Zombie Army playable solo, for example?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 19, 2024

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I loved both Quake 4 and Wolf 09 when I played them years ago but when I replayed Quake 4 more recently I was pretty down on it. I don't think my opinion of Wolf 09 will 180 in the same way but I'm a little afraid to find out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I will note, that as much as I love Wolf '09, I feel it really works in part despite its more modern mechanics rather than because of them. I don't think they ruin the game, but every once in a while there's some annoyance there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've watched Ross's Game Dungeon video on Wolf '09 where he inexplicably has a mod/cheat enabled that replaces everybody's heads with pumpkins for the duration of the 36-minute video, and that's my sole exposure to the game

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've watched Ross's Game Dungeon video on Wolf '09 where he inexplicably has a mod/cheat enabled that replaces everybody's heads with pumpkins for the duration of the 36-minute video, and that's my sole exposure to the game

You unlock that after beating the game.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It was the April Fools Day episode and Ross loves nothing more than sharing the feeling of going insane from incessant gaslighting with his audience.

catlord posted:

You unlock that after beating the game.

Which is hilariously ironic considering how the episode ended with him giving up on the game before finishing it, though that could've just been yet another layer to the big April Fools gag.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember watching the Quake 4 LP back in the day, going "wow this seems pretty neat" and then trying to play it and being unimpressed. You're too slow and the enemies are too spongy in the early game, presumably to make getting stroggified more of a dramatic change, but at the expense of the early game feeling clunky. And I don't think anybody's gonna defend the vehicle levels.

Also the main human AR is one of those awful ratta-tat types that sounds piss weak on top of feeling piss weak.

E: That said, I haven't played it in forever and I vaguely recall playing most of the way through if not all the way, which I can't say for Doom 3.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 19, 2024

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Max Payne 3 had the best shooting of the trilogy packed in a game where Max isn't Max Payne and the setting isn't appealing to me. I don't know but it has the Rockstar touch and I prefer more Remedy on it.

Wolf '09? I've played it three times. It's far from perfect but is a fun romp killing nazis and has that super natural side that I always liked from RTCW-Wolf09-OLDBLOOD-TNO. Slapping a few mods on Wolf '09 helps quite a bit.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Wolf 09 rules, after years of hearing how "bad" it was i plowed through it in a weekend and had an amazing time. The bosses are pretty meh, though. it also has one of the most satisfying bolt action rifles in any game i've ever played. I also played The Old Blood last year and loved it, so i guess i'm just a sucker for sci-fi Nazi-hunting schlock.

Quake 4 is harder to defend. The vehicle sections are awful and every time i play it i think i've accidentally disabled always run in the levels before the stroggification. but the combat and weapons are all better than doom 3. plus, Peter Stormare.