Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah exactly. Like yeah maybe it's a 1 in a 1000 shot, but do you want to take the chance, when that 1 in a 1000 shot means your death?

The Bradley has ATGMs that absolutely can kill the T-90 from most angles, including potentially top-attack missiles.

In general if you're basically blind while getting hammered by accurate autocannon fire you probably aren't going to feel super confident that whatever is shooting you *or anything else nearby* doesn't have something spicier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah exactly. Like yeah maybe it's a 1 in a 1000 shot, but do you want to take the chance, when that 1 in a 1000 shot means your death?

As has been pointed out by a bunch of tank historians: Whoever shoots first, regardless of having the better or the worst weapons system, is most likely to win. Being hit by anything is mind numbingly horrifying for the crew subjected to it, so it doesn't matter if it doesn't penetrate, that crew is likely panicking and going through hell, let alone a crew that has received Russia level of training, which is likely not much.

And yeah, the Bradleys that Ukraine has been provided with have TOW missiles as well as an option, they can theoretically take a T-90 out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If I'm not misremembering, you have to be stationary to fire the TOW which can be problematic if you aren't camping in relative safety somewhere out of sight

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Warbadger posted:

The Bradley has ATGMs that absolutely can kill the T-90 from most angles, including potentially top-attack missiles.

Sure, but "even" if they're getting blasted non-stop by Bushmasters which theoretically don't have much of a chance of penetrating a T90. Must loving suck.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The other question to ask is what was the T90 doing operating alone? There didnt appear to be any other vehicles or infantry around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“breakthrough” tank

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Burns posted:

The other question to ask is what was the T90 doing operating alone? There didnt appear to be any other vehicles or infantry around.

It was a special military operation.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Burns posted:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I was only ever under heavy fire once in a tank in Iraq. Instead of returning the fire, we kind of just secured the immediate area and sat in place because:

-We could have ended up firing on non-combatants.
-We could have advanced into mines/IEDs, or an obstacle.
-We could have advanced into an ambush or a new fire zone.
-We could have backed up onto a person, or onto an obstacle that could have gotten us stuck.

So our TC got on the radio with the rest of our platoon as well as our infantry cover, and our command. With everyone working together, we were able to coordinate safe routes and cover one another. It's why whenever I see the "are tanks useless now?" argument upon seeing a lone T-tank in the middle of the Ukrainian Steppes or a city get lit up, I need to bring up the usual arguments that those tanks are not being used right.

Now putting myself in the place of those tank crewmen, I can't imagine what was going through their heads. They're getting pelted. Anything they have from the mechanicals to electronics to optics could be failing or soon failing. They're in a T-tank, so there's no standing room and big autoloader sitting between the gunner and TC (don't underestimate the utility of a TC's boot tapping on the back of his gunner). The driver is semi-isolated and needs directions. The TC needs to decide whether to pull back or engage if he can even do either. Once he decides, does he pop smoke? Our instructors always said that popping smoke can save lives, but what if it just results into them driving into something that gets them stuck? I could go on for pages and pages. This is also why I never really engaged in the pissing and moaning whenever an officer told us to stand down and coordinate with any support.

But now imagine if there were infantry or other tanks supporting that T-90, and it's a completely different situation. It's also why I keep saying that there must be something really hosed up with Russian armor doctrine or command structure to be sending lone tanks out in the middle of nowhere like this. It also reeks of possible recon problems. We always had Bradleys, Strykers, or Hummers at our side, filling in gaps. Granted, we also had air supremacy, but I think my point still stands.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I was only ever under heavy fire once in a tank in Iraq. Instead of returning the fire, we kind of just secured the immediate area and sat in place because:

-We could have backed up onto a person, or onto an obstacle that could have gotten us stuck.

So our TC got on the radio with the rest of our platoon as well as our infantry cover, and our command. With everyone working together, we were able to coordinate safe routes and cover one another. It's why whenever I see the "are tanks useless now?" argument upon seeing a lone T-tank in the middle of the Ukrainian Steppes or a city get lit up, I need to bring up the usual arguments that those tanks are not being used right.

Now putting myself in the place of those tank crewmen, I can't imagine what was going through their heads. They're getting pelted. Anything they have from the mechanicals to electronics to optics could be failing or soon failing. They're in a T-tank, so there's no standing room and big autoloader sitting between the gunner and TC (don't underestimate the utility of a TC's boot tapping on the back of his gunner). The driver is semi-isolated and needs directions. The TC needs to decide whether to pull back or engage if he can even do either. Once he decides, does he pop smoke? Our instructors always said that popping smoke can save lives, but what if it just results into them driving into something that gets them stuck? I could go on for pages and pages. This is also why I never really engaged in the pissing and moaning whenever an officer told us to stand down and coordinate with any support.

But now imagine if there were infantry or other tanks supporting that T-90, and it's a completely different situation. It's also why I keep saying that there must be something really hosed up with Russian armor doctrine or command structure to be sending lone tanks out in the middle of nowhere like this. It also reeks of possible recon problems. We always had Bradleys, Strykers, or Hummers at our side, filling in gaps. Granted, we also had air supremacy, but I think my point still stands.

I believe it’s called a reconnoitre in farce.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean, to be fair also, your first point of not firing on non-combatants clearly doesn't apply.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Great post. It's always nice to hear from people who have done the thing.

And yeah, it's completely mystifying why a lone T90 is tooling around somewhere, just begging to get blapped by any number of things.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Well you're talking things such as "command" and "support" and "coordination" which I don't believe have been unlocked on the tech tree there.

e: freshly stolen from ncd

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sedgr posted:

Somewhere in Russia smoke rises above a T-14 Armata. Have its engines miraculously sprung to life? Electronics replaced with magic and wishes? Its endless problems resolved? No! But burning the hardware and grifting the budget have been proving successful at keeping the heat going in the winter.

I was told the Bradley was Badley because of Pentagon Wars! It was designed by committee and MIC corruption!

(meanwhile in Russia MOD) General Blyat: "we should fill T-14 full of gold parts so we can steal them"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I swear we have been having the "why is a single tank operating alone" discussion since the start of this. Russia coms are god awful and we rarely see any coordination between groups or units.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
She Bradleys my T90 till I smoke grenade

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Everyone get your weekend airframe loss requests into the Sharepoint site before Friday. Personally I'm hoping they can nab one of those six gussied up Mig-35 Indian Airshow Only shiny variant Mig-34's.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Well you're talking things such as "command" and "support" and "coordination" which I don't believe have been unlocked on the tech tree there.

Pallets haven't been unlocked either.

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Pallets haven't been unlocked either.

Saving their tech points to rush Tesla Towers.

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

I read that the T-90 was alone, had no support. The Bradley was indeed aiming for it's optics, which it succeeded in doing. The thought is that the turret malfunctioned(it kept spinning), also the driver/tank lost control and crashed into a tree. The crew escaped out of the hatch. Afterwards the Ukrainian forces destroyed the tank. The Bradley didn't kill it, it blinded it.

Zeromus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 19, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I believe that is referred to as a mission kill.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Zeromus posted:

I read that the T-90 was alone, had no support. The Bradley was indeed aiming for it's optics, which it succeeded in doing. The thought is that the turret malfunctioned(it kept spinning), also the driver/tank lost control and crashed into a tree. The crew escaped out of the hatch. Afterwards the Ukrainian forces destroyed the tank. The Bradley didn't kill it, it blinded it.

Malfunctioned? Or...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zeromus posted:

The Bradley didn't kill it, it blinded it.

it looked like a RPG attack where you keep hitting something till it falls over.

It's just missing the hit points being knocked of before being stunned locked and getting 1000 points on the screen,

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
TFW you pop smoke and she keep Bushmastering

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeromus posted:

The fact that a Bradley disabled a T-90 and caused wobble to the turret that it's axis control was lost shouldn't loving happen.

The Bradley did get some rather lucky shots but I think this is overall very telling of Russian manufacturing of these tanks. They are literally built like poo poo. These parts have to be rugged and durable especially with kinetics being a big factor in their continued operation. They are probably export models.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
a possibility of what happened with the t-90 was the auto threat thing got hosed up and started spinning the turret all over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqM_LGOyugs

or it could have just been russian things who knows

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Having one of your best tanks neutralized by an IFV's autocannon: #justrussianthings

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kyiv in 3 days baby

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
evergreen

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
thread on the decline in number of scientific publications and the flight of scientists from Russia

quote:

1/ At least 2,500 scientists are reported to have left Russia since the start of the war in Ukraine in February 2022 and the number of published scientific papers has collapsed. This comes as the result of isolation due to sanctions, visa restrictions and state paranoia.

2/ Novaya Gazeta Europe (NGE) reports on the outcome of a survey of the international ORCID database, which lists more than 20 million scientists globally. Registration in ORCID is mandatory for publishing employees of large Russian universities.

3/ The data indicates more than 130,000 scientists resident in Russia in October 2023. The share of these changing their residence from Russia to a foreign country was practically unchanged from 2012 to 2021, but jumped to 30% in 2022.

4/ NGE estimates that, based on the trendlines, around 2,500 scientists have emigrated since 2022. The number of foreign scientists choosing to come to Russia has also dropped by over two-thirds.

5/ Many of the emigrants are likely to be younger people, as older, more established scientists face more professional and personal difficulties from emigration. Younger men are also more likely to be subjected to mobilisation and have a bigger incentive to leave Russia.

6/ According to one university professional interviewed by NGE, "the best are trying to leave immediately after completing their bachelor’s, master’s and postgraduate studies." Unlike IT workers, scientists are not exempted from being mobilised to fight in Ukraine.

7/ While most emigrating Russian scientists left for the US, Germany and the UK before the war, since February 2023 other destinations have been prefered, in particular Uzbekistan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and the UAE with a 300% growth in Russian scientific immigration.

8/ The top three destinations are now Germany, the US and Israel – which has had a 175% increase. However, Russian scientific immigration to the UK, France and the US has fallen by more than 20%.

9/ The impact on Russian science is already visible, with a sharp fall in the number and quality of published papers. The share of global science attributed to Russia has fallen from 2-3% to only 1-2%. Russian participation in international scientific conferences has shrunk.

10/ The collapse has been particularly noticeable in the proportion of academic conference papers with a Russia-affiliated author. Around 35,000 had at least one Russia-based author in 2021 but this dropped to about 20,000 in 2022 and only about 11,000 in 2023.

11/ One publication, the UK-based Journal of Physics: Conference Series, illustrates this trend starkly: papers by Russian authors presented in the series fell from nearly 6,000 in 2021 to only 106 by November 2023, despite Russia traditionally being a leader in physics research.

12/ The reasons for this are not hard to find. Scientists are often physically unable to attend conferences due to visa restrictions and bans on direct flights between Russia and the West. Russian scientists were also removed from international collaborative programmes.

13/ Russian scientists report an growing atmosphere of fear and paranoia at home, as well as a shortage of equipment and scientific supplies due to sanctions. Contact and collaboration with foreigners is regarded with increasing suspicion by the authorities.

14/ In some instances, distinguished scientists working on hypersonics and quantum technology have been charged with treason and illegally sharing information in a number of high-profile cases, even though they are said to have had official permission to collaborate.

15/ The impact on Russian science is likely to last for decades. The losses are not all one way, however, as Russia's withdrawal from the global scientific community is likely to hinder collective efforts on issues such as climate change. /end

who needs scientists and research when all you need is meat for drones, recycled Soviet technology (which always was and always will be superior to weak Western technology) and dependence on imports from China

another protest in Bashkortostan, this time in Ufa

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1748268287585141123

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

ded posted:

a possibility of what happened with the t-90 was the auto threat thing got hosed up and started spinning the turret all over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqM_LGOyugs

or it could have just been russian things who knows

As others have stated the main issue isn't that something malfunctioned during combat or that said malfunction was caused by combat. It's more that the t90 didn't spot the threat and didn't fire first, way before the m2s? Why was it by itself?
Why wasn't the crew aware? What's the point of a t90m? Why does it exist?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

B-Rock452 posted:

I swear we have been having the "why is a single tank operating alone" discussion since the start of this. Russia coms are god awful and we rarely see any coordination between groups or units.

I mean we do. There are lots of videos of russian tank columns and infantry trying to break through and every video ends the same way. They get annihilated. As soon as either side starts concentrating forces in an area they get targeted by the heaviest munitions from the enemy.

Traditional tactics that all keyboard generals (and real generals) think is key, have been proven worthless in the Ukraine war.

Spread out tanks with infantry support end up getting turned to scrap and slurry by FPV drones and cluster munitions, because there is zero counter to these things. There are amazing videos of like 6 russian tanks getting annihilated in a minute by mines, drones, javelins etc. Same goes for Ukraine. There is no "smart" or "safe" way of trying to break through the front right now which is why the war is a standstill with both sides throwing drones and artillery at eachother while hunkering down in trenches

Both sides are also extremely pressed for both personel and vehicles, which is why you see lonely tanks prodding certain areas by themselves. Ukraine does this all the time, too, especially when infantry on the ground need fire support. If you only have a couple of dozen tanks in action at the moment you need to spread them across the (huge) front and can't always afford huge tank columns and combined arms etc.

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 19, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unless you are trying to exploit a breakthrough, tanks and IFV should be behind your infantry, not in front. And we know both sides usually do so. Javelin kills are way down because Russia usually keeps tanks out of Javelin range.

That makes these videos of armour knife fights so weird.

Dwesa posted:

thread on the decline in number of scientific publications and the flight of scientists from Russia

who needs scientists and research when all you need is meat for drones, recycled Soviet technology (which always was and always will be superior to weak Western technology) and dependence on imports from China

We have standing orders that, while the start of new cooperation is banned, we should help Russian scientists leave the country. I'm not surprised that Russia would crack down on scientists, they are all well-connected internationally and usually are more loyal to science than nation…

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 19, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Speaking from the perspective of a former academic in computer science with a couple of publications under my belt and a short career as a doctoral student, this is ... well, not a shame, really. Let me explain.

For as long as I've been in academia, Russia has been a double edged sword. On the one hand, they've had some EXCELLENT researchers in mathematics and computer science, and some absolutely brilliant people have come from Russia and the former Soviet Union. On the other hand, they've also had a streak of publishing some absolute loving horse poo poo that doesn't pass even a cursory glance, because it's not real science, it's some completely idiotic propaganda poo poo formed roughly in the shape of a peer reviewed study. Except the "peers" are also all propaganda guys from some made up Vladimir Putin Institute of Hating on the Gays and Being Masculine. Over these past years the ratio has shifted a LOT towards option B.

But the reason it's not a shame in the big sense is that those brilliant academics didn't disappear from the world (well, at least most of them -- you never know with Vlad's Russia), they just moved somewhere else to continue their work and probably both enjoy a better quality of life, and others get to benefit from their knowledge and research.

But of course this is a shame for the Russian academics who can't get out, but want to publish actual scientific work, because much like every paper coming out of China, their work is immediately looked at suspiciously because so many of their fellow "academics" are just publishing the most hosed up poo poo anyone's ever seen. My heart goes out to them, truly, just like it does to every other Russian who is innocently caught in Uncle Vlad's lovely Ride.

And of course it sucks for Russia in the bigger sense in that after Vlad fucks off, it's gonna be hard for the country to come back from this. They've lost so many important people who aren't likely to return, either because they don't want to risk Vlad II, or because they're dead.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yup, the Gleichschaltung of science is basically a death knell to getting any proper research done. The metrics you are measured by as a scientist are already hosed up as gently caress, but at least some genuine science is still happening. Replace those metrics with a measure of how aligned the conclusion is with state propaganda and you get absolute garbage.

For reference, German science has still not recovered from the damage the Nazis and conservatives did.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Was what I learned as a child true, that the Soviet Union had some pretty big names in the field of medicine, too?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Antigravitas posted:

Yup, the Gleichschaltung of science is basically a death knell to getting any proper research done. The metrics you are measured by as a scientist are already hosed up as gently caress, but at least some genuine science is still happening. Replace those metrics with a measure of how aligned the conclusion is with state propaganda and you get absolute garbage.

For reference, German science has still not recovered from the damage the Nazis and conservatives did.

Package for you here from a T.M. Klapötke, sir.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Was what I learned as a child true, that the Soviet Union had some pretty big names in the field of medicine, too?

They were ground breakers in the study & usage of Phages (an alternative to antibiotics) back in the day, no idea what they're up to currently. :shrug:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Pretty sure I can't order explosives without filling out a form. Return to sender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just Another Lurker posted:

They were ground breakers in the study & usage of Phages (an alternative to antibiotics) back in the day, no idea what they're up to currently. :shrug:

Lots of coprophaging happening, at least.