Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

apophenium posted:

If Okada does indeed go to AEW I would have to think NJPW might start reconsidering their partnership but I dunno really how all that works. But it does seem bad for a lot of your big stars to keep leaving to work with your partner instead
Okada was already being phased out of the main event scene of NJPW what show are you watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Okada leaving is terrible for Japanese wrestling even if aew gets him. I’ve never understood this place’s general animosity towards the idea that it’s still bad if TK is the one signing everyone away

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

Okada leaving is terrible for Japanese wrestling even if aew gets him. I’ve never understood this place’s general animosity towards the idea that it’s still bad if TK is the one signing everyone away

TK doesn't sign people to his weird walled garden that actively shuns and looks down on the rest of the wrestling world. Simple as that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/CarlMarxPunk/status/1748167754245374390?s=20

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CarlMarxPunk

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

yea ok posted:

Workers getting more money is generally good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

I would prefer that Okada stay in New Japan but with the economic situation in Japan and him hiring an agent my preference is he sign with AEW than WWE. If he were just going to re-sign as normal I'd not love this but he wanted to test the market, and this is the best outcome if NJPW isn't going to step up again. They did when they signed him long term years ago, but upping their payscale for a guy who is on the decline didn't make sense to them.

With that said Okada's decline phase will probably be extremely good.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

yea ok posted:

Okada leaving is terrible for Japanese wrestling

New Japan has booked themselves into a corner, All Japan are imploding, NOAH loving sucks, DDT still can't get the crowds back, GLEAT can't book for poo poo, I don't watch Dragongate

It's 2AW's time to shine baby

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Pylons posted:

Workers getting more money is generally good.

It's terrible for wrestling in general that a couple american companies are the only ones with that money to throw around and so any stars made elsewhere become a part of their overflowing midcard toy collection.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Okada should sign to Zona 23

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Acting like my boy Kenoh can’t carry Japan on his angry shoulders

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think Okada has done all there is to do in NJPW. It's not like Tony is nabbing him halfway through his championship God Run.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

New Japan's loss is ChocoPro's gain

Only registered members can see post attachments!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okada fight Ngannou you coward

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

yea ok posted:

Agreed but I think it's more an indictment of NJPW than it is of WWE or AEW, if they can't or won't make a competitive offer for their Top Guy I'm not sure what anyone else involved is supposed to do

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Okada executing New Japan gang style is Not Cinema dude

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s wrestling people leave companies and go to other companies literally all the time. The people don’t like it in wwe because wwe generally sucks rear end.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Jackie D posted:

Agreed but I think it's more an indictment of NJPW than it is of WWE or AEW, if they can't or won't make a competitive offer for their Top Guy I'm not sure what anyone else involved is supposed to do

It's an indictment that a company in a struggling niche industry in a struggling economy can't afford to outbid two massive American companies with prime time television deals.... can't say I see the logic there to be honest?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

this kid is nuts posted:

It's an indictment that a company in a struggling niche industry in a struggling economy can't afford to outbid two massive American companies with prime time television deals.... can't say I see the logic there to be honest?

I don’t see how AEW is at fault there. If Okada is leaving the company and he feels he isn’t paid enough in his current role he’s supposed to stay there because of loyalty?

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
AEW isn't "at fault", but saying it's an "indictment" of NJPW is a bit much isn't it?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It's never going to be a good thing that an entire country is being demoted to America's Developmental. This is a gigantic deal and it's okay for puro fans to be in their fee fees over it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The_Rob posted:

I don’t see how AEW is at fault there. If Okada is leaving the company and he feels he isn’t paid enough in his current role he’s supposed to stay there because of loyalty?

They didn't do anything wrong per se, but how many top NJPW guys are now in AEW? Even ignore guys like Kenny who left in the Meij era. Jay, Ospreay, potentially Okada. Some partnership.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

this kid is nuts posted:

AEW isn't "at fault", but saying it's an "indictment" of NJPW is a bit much isn't it?

If they aren’t paying their talent enough to keep them there they are going to leave. Same as with every other company out there. AEW is probably the best case scenario for New Japan because there’s a relationship there and AEW can loan those guys out to them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AEW could at least sign Yujiro and Chase Owens and some of the similar garbage along with the top guys

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also wasn’t this news reported a couple months ago? Not to mention Okada has been with AEW since 07’ it’s not like he’s some young up and comer who never got his big break. He’s done everything for that company someone could possibly do.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

They didn't do anything wrong per se, but how many top NJPW guys are now in AEW? Even ignore guys like Kenny who left in the Meij era. Jay, Ospreay, potentially Okada. Some partnership.

AEW should have let them go to WWE to respect the partnership. It’s like they don’t even know how partnerships work

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Also wasn’t this news reported a couple months ago? Not to mention Okada has been with AEW since 07’ it’s not like he’s some young up and comer who never got his big break. He’s done everything for that company someone could possibly do.

Trying to put together the timeline on this in my head

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Sign El Phantasmo Tony.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

The_Rob posted:

If they aren’t paying their talent enough to keep them there they are going to leave. Same as with every other company out there. AEW is probably the best case scenario for New Japan because there’s a relationship there and AEW can loan those guys out to them.

Right but... I'm saying NJPW aren't to blame for simply not being in a good enough position financially to outbid much bigger companies. And you're saying that actually it is their fault because they... aren't doing what they're not able to do? (or aren't you? gently caress knows)

Sometimes it seems like people can't be honest and admit these acquisitions have shades of grey to them... it's a good thing that Okada is probably gonna get a massive pay day, and WWE/AEW are gonna get a world class talent, but on the other hand it doesn't bode well for the struggling Japanese wrestling industry

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

AEW could at least sign Yujiro and Chase Owens and some of the similar garbage along with the top guys

It's within njpw's gift to get rid of these guys any time they want and has been for years.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I suppose the question for me is this: what are people suggesting AEW should do to be a better partner?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tony should just be sending weekly payments to Japan to prop up their failing economy and industries. It's the right thing to do.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Selfishly I want Okada in AEW because I'll get to see him on TV more and, presumably, could see him at a live show one day.

At the same time I do see how it's a bad thing for New Japan to lose (yet another) major draw, but you can't blame Okada for wanting a change of scenery after so many years and to (presumably) get loving paid for it.

I do wonder if this lends any more credibility to the rumors about Forbidden Door 3 taking place in Japan. Seems like AEW would want to throw some kind of bone after getting Ospreay for sure and possibly Okada, and having a major show with both those guys reappearing in Japan would help.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lamuella posted:

I suppose the question for me is this: what are people suggesting AEW should do to be a better partner?

buy njpw off bushiroad and give it to me

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lamuella posted:

don't bid up departing NJPW talent so that the talent gets paid less, WWE gets cheap NJPW talent, and Tozawa gets a dancing partner. its The Right Thing To Do

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Nothing, it's not their problem to fix. It just sucks. It would suck more if they went to WWE (but do you condemn WWE?)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

this kid is nuts posted:

Bushiroad can afford to pay Okada competitively and give him more long term security, they are a huge company. It would be harder, but this isn't offering seven figures to an All Japan guy.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 19, 2024

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Yeah I think some people are looking at it wrong ITT. It's not about AEW being "at fault", they're doing what any logical wrestling company would do by acquiring the best talent they can get. It just isn't great for the Japanese scene, and I don't think fans of Japanese wrestling are weird for feeling unhappy about it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

this kid is nuts posted:

Yeah I think some people are looking at it wrong ITT. It's not about AEW being "at fault", they're doing what any logical wrestling company would do by acquiring the best talent they can get. It just isn't great for the Japanese scene, and I don't think fans of Japanese wrestling are weird for feeling unhappy about it

there's people that are unhappy about him leaving and there's people calling AEW a bad partner. i don't think anyone is mocking the former

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!