Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy cow, the amount of voice actors listed in the credits is bonkers. That's a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The voice acting is one of the strengths of the game imo, up there with the amount of reactivity and options. There's a bewildering volume of voice-acted branching dialogue for all sorts of choices and character race/class combos, there's even recorded lines for very obscure or specific scenarios that only a tiny fraction of players will ever see.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got two runs going right now. Evil astarian with minthara romance

Good rebel laezel with shadow heart romance.

Does anyone know if the wyll or gale romances are any good?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swen Vincke and his crew decided not to half-rear end it when they got the ip, and it shows

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

The voice acting is one of the strengths of the game imo, up there with the amount of reactivity and options. There's a bewildering volume of voice-acted branching dialogue for all sorts of choices and character race/class combos, there's even recorded lines for very obscure or specific scenarios that only a tiny fraction of players will ever see.

One person pointed out Emerald Grove has a backup leader in case you kill them, and a backup for that backup if you kill them, with some contingencies built in besides.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pellisworth posted:

My favorite are all the origin character responses if you keeping screwing up the instructions to Gale's True Scroll of Resurrection. Some of the funniest lines in the game that you're unlikely to ever hear or see any of naturally.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The voice actor for Hope absolutely knocked it out of the park.

I wonder how many players just miss that entire area, as it’s fairly well hidden and everyone you talk to says “don’t go there”.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DarkHorse posted:

One person pointed out Emerald Grove has a backup leader in case you kill them, and a backup for that backup if you kill them, with some contingencies built in besides.

On my first honour mode run I discovered how many backup voice lines they had because the primary character kept dying. I lost Zevlor, Brithvar etc and there kept being a backup, I was really impressed

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

my comparison is Fallout: New Vegas, where Josh Sawyer has said their design philosphy from the start was to allow the player to go wherever and kill every NPC, basically complete freedom to go full murderhobo if players wished, and the game had failsafes to account for all that. BG3 is way more complex with its branching dialogue and reactivity imo, but it reminds me of F:NV in that way.

I kind of think of BG3 as combining much of the good stuff from D:OS2 with the voice acting, writing, and animation quality of Witcher 3 and the reactivity of F:NV

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Shard posted:

Does anyone know if the wyll or gale romances are any good?

A Wyll AND Gale romance would be good because then they could just be annoying to each other and leave other people alone.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I have 92 approval with Wyll but he hates me narratively. :gonk:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Black Noise posted:

I have 92 approval with Wyll but he hates me narratively. :gonk:

what have you done to deserve the Blade of the Frontiers

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Sloober posted:

what have you done to deserve the Blade of the Frontiers

I saved everyone I could but I kinda promised my space wife that we would share the sunrise. So I uh removed that weakness. Then the Necromancer in our group triggered a dialogue and beat up an old woman with the Paladin. They probably should’ve let me do it but that murder hobo comment rubbed me the wrong way since my choice was calculated and they uh mowed her down to use the elevator.

I recorded the clip of Wyll’s camp dialogue it kinda hurt but he still likes me way more than Lae’zel which is funny.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Now that I've finished the game, I think my favorite line throughout the whole journey was "I don't know, I enjoyed myself. Killing clowns is a rare treat." That made me laugh a lot. The snarky and outright cruel and thoughtless replies in this game can be really funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The circus is definitely the most "classic Larian" segment of BG3.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

playing githyanki this time and its funny, with every other race laezel mostly comes off like a pretty standard blood and honor orc type, but as a githyanki she's chiding you about "not paying attention to the biology slates" and bragging about reading the githyanki equivalent of latin. shes just a big honor student geek

Node posted:

Now that I've finished the game, I think my favorite line throughout the whole journey was "I don't know, I enjoyed myself. Killing clowns is a rare treat." That made me laugh a lot. The snarky and outright cruel and thoughtless replies in this game can be really funny.

mine is probably (paraphrasing) "Jaheira, Marcus had WINGS." Disco Elysium has forever changed how I play RPGs, I will never not be the biggest dumbass in the room when given the opportunity

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Let them cook!

(early act 3 convo with minthara)

The Wicked ZOGA fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 19, 2024

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Hey honor mode if you're gonna insist on this one save file thing could you please actually loving save when I close the game so I don't have to repeat an entire play session

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Deuce posted:

Hey honor mode if you're gonna insist on this one save file thing could you please actually loving save when I close the game so I don't have to repeat an entire play session

I’m actually thrilled that it doesn’t do this because it would’ve on multiple occasions crystallized a run ending bug for me

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Found a way to get around a certain death on durge. Just make my character look like her instead. Head cannon durge is her long lost twin sister

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m sure the shadowcurse will see it that way!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m actually thrilled that it doesn’t do this because it would’ve on multiple occasions crystallized a run ending bug for me

No, I mean when you just quit the game normally, and it's supposed to save the game.

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Deuce posted:

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA
:aaa: literally half to 2/3rds of Tav's carry weight in my first game

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

PUT IT IN THE MOTHERFUCKING OP. Pickpockets we are free!

Free to loot and spend and loot it again!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Deuce posted:

Well gently caress…

Oh well I guess carrying 30kg of gold coins around with me was good for my physique at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deuce posted:

No, I mean when you just quit the game normally, and it's supposed to save the game.

are. you loving serious

I feel like it wasn't always that way, hold on I'm almost sure of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would that include dialogue expenses (e.g. bribes)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Jay Rust posted:

Would that include dialogue expenses (e.g. bribes)

Unlikely? It's the shop interface that just seems to know about the gold pile in my camp.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It definitely doesn’t apply to the forgiveness bribes if approval is low.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any harm in switching to another character, other than your avatar, for conversations for their checks or dialog options if the conversation calls for it? Or is that encouraged?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any harm in switching to another character, other than your avatar, for conversations for their checks or dialog options if the conversation calls for it? Or is that encouraged?

I don't think so. Maybe party approval, but you get unique dialogue and stuff so do it if it feels right. If you're an idiot barbarian and really want to smooth talk someone get someone else to try.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Is anything mechanically happening when my party tells me they’re exhausted? Like, if I don’t take any damage in a fight and I have a party of, say, champion fighters. No need to short rest or anything. Does that affect anything?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

Is anything mechanically happening when my party tells me they’re exhausted? Like, if I don’t take any damage in a fight and I have a party of, say, champion fighters. No need to short rest or anything. Does that affect anything?

as far as i know, it's purely a way for the game to tell you that there's in-camp events available, although it might also be partly related to how long it's been since you long rested

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I got into Mol's hideaway early, before I'd helped the other kids, and she counted to ten and ran away. Did I screw up the possibility of getting her quest to steal the idol? I have no idea where she went.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Probably, you can’t piss her off before she offers you the job, even if you help out some of the tiefling kids later.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Probably, you can’t piss her off before she offers you the job, even if you help out some of the tiefling kids later.

any clue where she runs off to?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

:aaa: literally half to 2/3rds of Tav's carry weight in my first game

It took me a while to realize that money even has a weight value. Kept getting annoyed that my Tav was always overencumbered, turns out it was due to the 80k coins he was carrying

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
goddamn it shadowheart

i specifically told you NOT to do that

now the gates to hell are open and evil has gotten EVERYWHERE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

any clue where she runs off to?

She’ll come back if you help the other tiefling kids, or you can find her at the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I don't know much about doing a dark urge playthrough, does charisma and persuasion and the like ever used when playing as one?