Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GreenBuckanneer posted:

there's one nearby i'll try to grab, i got the oxen and gave it a cart but i guess i can't ride the oxen it instead just follows me around??
Correct. You can either ride a buffalo or attach a cart. Cart is useful if you're planning a big mining trip or setting up an outpost. Be aware that a buffalo with a cart is slow as poo poo so it may be an overnight trip depending on how far you're going. Moas can't carry much but they are very fast, and the horses are somewhere in-between.

I've been watching a few YT guys play Palworld and it looks fun/funny as poo poo. When I first saw a preview I had no interest but after seeing it actually play I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Palworld is out.

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052175

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So far Palworld runs decently on the deck. The controls feel a bit floaty but it’s not terrible.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I've watched just about every Enshrouded video I could find and I am optimistic. I love the ability to carve down into the world to make underground buildings, which is the main thing I wish Valheim had, even tho I know that'd require an overhaul of the fundamental world generation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Retrowave Joe posted:

I've watched just about every Enshrouded video I could find and I am optimistic. I love the ability to carve down into the world to make underground buildings, which is the main thing I wish Valheim had, even tho I know that'd require an overhaul of the fundamental world generation.

Got a link showcasing how it handles underground building? I am intrigued.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/live/LFq0aLFmzAo?si=UlfIZGtiwJ986Cxf

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

God i'm loving Icarus

That's a sizable base and set up you have there. That's a good few hours of grinding vanilla!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting, never heard of it before but it's now on my list.

I've play a metric poo poo ton of State of Decay (and the sequel) and wish for a game where:
1) You can build either anywhere or in many more locations than the pre-determined sites. Or at least give more flexibility/options within those sites.
2) Be able to send out your colonists with specific objectives. They will passively sometimes bring in a couple items but it's not the same.

Back in the day I spent SO LONG in Fallout 4 in the settlement builder making all sorts of stuff (including a recreation of Paddy's Pub from Always Sunny) but had to stop because it wasn't refined or meaningful. The settlers also were hollow and interchangeable.

I loved SOD 1 and 2, didn't play anywhere near as much of the 2nd one though. It didn't feel as engaging for me. The whole seasonal trader thing etc annoyed me too. I am looking forward to the 3rd one they announced years ago and then haven't said a word about since though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

God i'm loving Icarus

Won't that get wrecked by a big storm event? I'd like to put up decorations like fences, but I'd be worried about having to spend time repairing after every little storm.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Depends on the map, I think that's Olympus and in the normal forest zone.

Basically, on Olympus, stone will survive everything I think, except the biggest storms in the river lands and even then, they'll only need repairing rarely..

The crop plots won't get damaged as they're meant to be outside.

The wooden railing may though, but if you upgrade it to the iron one, it should last forever.

(Concrete can't be damaged by anything on Olympus or Styx if I remember and only takes a little damage on big Prometheus storms)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I loved SOD 1 and 2, didn't play anywhere near as much of the 2nd one though. It didn't feel as engaging for me. The whole seasonal trader thing etc annoyed me too. I am looking forward to the 3rd one they announced years ago and then haven't said a word about since though.

The seasonal stuff is a little annoying but you can always just use a trainer to permanently unlock that stuff. Not an ideal solution but it's easy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Canuckistan posted:

Won't that get wrecked by a big storm event? I'd like to put up decorations like fences, but I'd be worried about having to spend time repairing after every little storm.

deployables that don't need to be kept in a shelter are practically invulnerable to storm damage forom what I've seen. This includes railings, fences, windows and doors (which needs to he placed in a frame but the frame is gonna go first). It's kinda nice tbh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'll eventually upgrade the railings

Dx12 makes my 3070 weep which is a bummer

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Looks like you could use some more pillers though. Lotta places for pillars. Especially on that dock over the water And the walls. And the floors. And the roofing. And the upper half of walls.

Pillars.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This isn't Pillars of Eternity

Edit: I should make a porch

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

heh, wouldn't want it to be.

To elaborate a bit, entirely anecdotally I've noticed that buildings (wood especially) that are well pillared suffer way less storm damage. Think it has something to do with the structural integrity colors and the fact only floor/wall/pillars that directly contact the ground get the blue color which never gets affected by storms (in olympus). The only exception is pillars that chain off of one in contact in the ground, they also get blue integrity and wall/floor pieces that come off those seem to get damaged way less often.

Went from having to constantly repair my wood building to very occasionally having to spot check after 3+ heavy storms, all thanks to proper pillaring. Probably matters less for stone and concrete though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Storms have ranks and while you need pillars for a taller building, which I found out the hard way when stone walls without pillars crumbled eventually automatically once I got too tall, the storm can only damage the tier it's on or lower, the original map doesn't get rank 8 storms so concrete is immune, and you'd need a rank 6 storm (a rank 5 chaos boosted to rank 6) to even damage stone (and it's not much)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

So far Palworld runs decently on the deck. The controls feel a bit floaty but it’s not terrible.

What kinda slop are we talking about? Do the sticks feel like they have a deadzone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What kinda slop are we talking about? Do the sticks feel like they have a deadzone?

It’s mostly the jumping feels really floaty and when you hit things it doesn’t feel quite right.

That being said I’m confident they are going to fix things up.

https://x.com/palworld_en/status/1748378179134427304?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

The game is essentially Ark but with Pokémon and it’s pretty awesome.

Oh but be warned the gamepass version seems to have some issues on the PC so I’d wait on that version.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
drat it, I wanna play it but was gonna play on game pass.

What are the issues and have they given any timeline on when they'll fix it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

drat it, I wanna play it but was gonna play on game pass.

What are the issues and have they given any timeline on when they'll fix it?

Sounds like it's a different build; DLSS is missing, there's curiously no exit button in the menu so you have to alt-f4 to close the game I think. It's probably alright to get an idea of what the game is like on gamepass if you already have gamepass but at this point might want to consider buying on Steam if you like it and think you'll play more.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palworld owns.

There are some pathing problems but most of the Pals do work as expected. NPC raids are neat but traps seem like single-use so far. Thankfully you can set up sentries and such.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Sounds like it's a different build; DLSS is missing, there's curiously no exit button in the menu so you have to alt-f4 to close the game I think. It's probably alright to get an idea of what the game is like on gamepass if you already have gamepass but at this point might want to consider buying on Steam if you like it and think you'll play more.
People are finding more and more differences in the versions. Some recipes and unlocks are different, balance is tweaked across the board, timers are longer, you can't name your pals or even your player. Multiplayer just seems to be half broken? It's rough for anyone on Game Pass.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

explosivo posted:

I've seen this come up a bunch and it looks pretty cool, I might have to check this one out.

Edit: Eh it's $6 why not

It’s very frustrating to play. AI is dumb as a rock, the UI is pretty terrible, and in general the colony management is a pain in the rear end.

I usually ended up playing it effectively solo and using my recruits as canon fodder for scavenging in towns.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Goddamn it, I didn't know this existed but now I have to wait four days for its release. This is not how on-demand consumption is supposed to work.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't have a creative bone in my body, I've never once made a base that looked beautiful or suited the surrounding landscape. Everything I touch turns into ugly square blocks with complete focus on utilitarian functionality. But drat if that video clip of the hobbit home didn't inspire me to at least try to make something beautiful. That was a gorgeously done little base that oozed character.

I totally forgot Enshrouded existed and am excited for it's release.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of goodies for the fan of survival genre right now. I just picked up Palworld, Vintage Story released a new patch 1.19 and I also have Enshrouded on my wishlist. I'd think the latter one will have to wait a bit until I see what it turns out like.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s launch day but it’s throwing up some good numbers. Hopefully the company keeps up with good communication and listens to the feedback.

I’ve only seen minor issues so far and nothing game breaking

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

There's a lot of goodies for the fan of survival genre right now. I just picked up Palworld, Vintage Story released a new patch 1.19 and I also have Enshrouded on my wishlist. I'd think the latter one will have to wait a bit until I see what it turns out like.
Give it a month and Pacific Drive and Nightingale are both coming out on the same day, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spent a lot of time on Palworld and absolutely adore it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

Spent a lot of time on Palworld and absolutely adore it.
I'm hooked pretty hard as well, definitely going to be my game for a good long while.

That said....

I want some kind of tranquilizer ammunition and a "subdue don't kill" mode for my pal. It's really common for me to kill the things I'm trying to capture and that adds up to a lot of frustration when it happens over and over.

Armor also breaks way too god drat fast. I just gave up even trying to repair the stuff.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm really digging Palword. Played 8 hours on day of release, and I am having a great time. The prospect of further EA updates is just a bonus at this point. The AI buddies are more fun/satisfying than Dragon Quest Builders 2, and the sense of progression is fantastic too. I haven't even found one of the friendly NPC towns yet, though I don't think there's much to them beyond a couple merchants atm.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I got the game purely on these recommendations and right off the bat I love having cute little Pokémon doing all the tedious scutwork while I go off murdering their cute brethren elsewhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The animation work is really good in Palworld. I actually feel kinda bad murdering some of these little fuckers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052175
There's a dedicated Palworld thread! It's pretty fun, join us.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I dunno what you mean, I am only knocking out all the little critters who fall over.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Coming from Icarus to Palworld, I keep wanting to reach for a knife and skin the pals.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve been revisiting Forever Skies, and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised by the level design/procgen. I don’t think it’s the best thing ever, but it might be the best for what this game is trying to be.

Like, revisiting some of the towers I’ve found ways to traverse them (for the wreck+loot) that I haven’t noticed before. Some of the more set piece locations (generally your first visit) have multiple ways to the goal that aren’t immediately obvious. And while the new Underdust area seems to lack procgen satisfaction at the moment, it is really satisfying (once you solve the oxygen problem) to traverse the area and find all the nooks and crannies they hid materials in.

I think I’m near the end of existing content, I’m satisfied with the experience. I’d place it between Raft and Void Train with a touch of parkour but I wouldn’t want to compare it against other titles with a more contiguous world.

With how busy Jan & Feb are going to be for survival, I’m not in any hurry to recommend it to any but it’s a solid & satisfying experience with a worse inventory system than Return to Moria.

It may be EA but lack of quite sort, quick deposit, etc is kind of game stopping at times. The true plot line of the game is really the pursuit of enough storage space that your chests and freezers are no longer an unholy mess. Food spoiling before you get the freezer is actually a hidden blessing.

The hidden tax of needing to build more ship to get more storage can overtake you if you’re careless and ever let yourself store things wherever for too long.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 21, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How has V Rising progressed? Seemed like that one had a lot of potential. I sort of forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Been playing a bit of this one's playtest and it's pretty good! Like a mix of survival/adventuring and base building. When you are scavenging as a team, you can easily assign tasks to each person (ex: walk up to bush, press "A" button to assign Frank, press "X" to Assign Steve, "Y" to assign mark) You can preset all the actions in combat (so set who you want everyone to shoot) and then trigger them all at once. However, it is NOT turned based, and all real time combat. So you have to be hella quick when giving commands.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1579340/Survive_the_Fall/

quote:

Scavenge, Craft, Build and Fight! Survive the Fall is an open-world action game with a rich story. Collect loot & fight to rebuild your community and its base. Uncover the secrets of the fallen world after a meteorite strike!

no commentary gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvfM6VCDT9Q

quote:

SURVIVE
Gather precious resources so you don’t die of hunger or cold.
Light fires, craft weapons and items, hunt and don’t get killed.

EXPLORE
Explore an open world full of dangers, secrets, and valuable artifacts. Admire the views and the wildlife that dominates the land. Be careful in the forests... it’s easy to get lost.
The asteroid left behind more than a big hole in the Earth... Beware!

BUILD AND MANAGE A SETTLEMENT
Create a new settlement that will grow and the resources it produces will help you in your missions.
Remember, only a good commander who wisely uses limited resources will be able to win the respect of others.

ASSEMBLE A TEAM
Assemble a team that will help you survive and support you in battle. Decide whether you want to go on missions with support, or if you prefer to leave your companions to guard and take care of the base. Take care of their health and condition.

AVOID DANGERS
Sneak around and, if necessary, face opponents in open combat. Remember, however, that ammunition is severely limited, medicine is scarce, and every companion is worth his or her weight in gold. Is it worth the risk?

Main Features:
- a world full of secrets
- a survivalist approach to gameplay
- team and resource management
- construction and development of the settlement

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 21, 2024