Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just Another Lurker posted:

They were ground breakers in the study & usage of Phages (an alternative to antibiotics) back in the day, no idea what they're up to currently. :shrug:

They also tried to domesticate foxes so they have that going for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

They also tried to domesticate foxes so they have that going for them

Did they ever breed out their compulsion to pee on EVERYTHING!!! ? :lol:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I remember it all ended with them putting the domesticated foxes down

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That's considered a feature, not a bug.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I remember it all ended with them putting the domesticated foxes down
Maybe some were but you used to be able to still just buy them as pets before the war at least.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No they mostly just dealt with foxes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:golfclap: that's much better

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wasn't it the Soviets who like, stuck a dogs head on another dog and the dog was okay for a bit then died? Also they weren't bad at space, for a while at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

One time the Soviets stuck their head out a car window and their head knocked off a dog's head

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Physics, rocketry, crystals, radar. Material science as well, iirc.

It should be reiterated, however: Russia is not the Soviet Union.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

It's a Soviet Union.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Poor bastards. To shreds you say.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Oh no, anyway. You're worm food now.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

They were ground breakers in the study & usage of Phages (an alternative to antibiotics) back in the day, no idea what they're up to currently. :shrug:

Still around. https://pha.ge/

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1748319486623498484#m
:dukedog:

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

zone posted:

Oh no, anyway. You're worm food now.

Stupid question, but has Ukraine had 31 (let alone 50) boats at any point since 2014? That seems way higher than numbers I can find for the size of their navy. Unless they're counting, like, inflatables or something?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Visions of Valerie posted:

Stupid question, but has Ukraine had 31 (let alone 50) boats at any point since 2014? That seems way higher than numbers I can find for the size of their navy. Unless they're counting, like, inflatables or something?

Seeing as how it's got a lot of coast, I'd bet there are currently hundreds of thousands if not millions of boats in Ukraina.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

They're counting inflatable rafts yep. Ukraine uses them in some quantity to ferry across troops and supplies, and they're a priority target for enemy drone operators in an effort to stifle the bridgehead at Krynky.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ukraine has been using almost exclusively inflatable boats to cross the Dniepro. Sinking them isn't a particularly difficult job. Ukraine has thousands of them available.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

zone posted:

They're counting inflatable rafts yep. Ukraine uses them in some quantity to ferry across troops and supplies, and they're a priority target for enemy drone operators in an effort to stifle the bridgehead at Krynky.

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine has been using almost exclusively inflatable boats to cross the Dniepro. Sinking them isn't a particularly difficult job. Ukraine has thousands of them available.

Got it, thanks.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1748331906171601102#m
Sucks to be you. gently caress off back home lickety split if you want to continue living.

Burns
May 10, 2008

He ought to go back in a box, as a warning to others.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Burns posted:

You think migrants get boxes?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

No, guys come on. Do not wish death upon people, even idiots like that guy.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Long pork snouts and bacon come in a case. That's technically a box. Yo dawg, I heard you like meat waves, so we put the meat wave in your meat wave but told them its bacon.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You're forgetting canned meat in the form of canned water

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I agree. A cushy passenger train is too good for him, he should have to ride home in a freight car like a hobo, so he can tell people not to go fight for Russia.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone posted:

Sucks to be you. gently caress off back home lickety split if you want to continue living.

Aww diddums, idiot willingly joined in Russia's stupid game and now he doesn't want to play anymore? Get hosed, dickhead.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They never got to the distribution stage, so they gave no foxes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

He can get hosed in non legally-actionable ways for volunteering to go halfway around the world to murder my friends and family!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Goon faceblindness or whatever, but for a split second, that dude reads as Elon Musk to me. I must just see a really loving stupid guy and my brain fills in the blanks.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

Goon faceblindness or whatever, but for a split second, that dude reads as Elon Musk to me. I must just see a really loving stupid guy and my brain fills in the blanks.

Now that you mention it, that guy does look a little like Muskmelon

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

Chinese Caro isn't going to get any sanctioned Russian money for his pain and suffering.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

There is a guy known as 'Chinese Elon Musk' who went viral for being Chinese and... looking like Elon Musk. Then his account got suspended. I can only assume it drove him mad and he went to fight for the Russian army.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Chinese Caro

If only we didn’t have such a strong thread title, that’d be going up

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Caro with Chinese characteristics

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1748362533075923432#m

quote:

⚡️russia has about 21.8 thousand troops near the northern border with Ukraine - the situation remains under control.

This was reported by the commander of the Joint Forces of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, Lieutenant General Serhii Naiev.

"[...] the military and political leadership of Belarus continues to provide all possible assistance to russia in its armed aggression against our country by supplying and repairing weapons and military equipment_ [...]", – Naiev said.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Making new elements too. They did a bunch in the late 90s and early 2000s, even had one as recently as 2010.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

At their current attrition rate, that's basically a 3 week supply.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This really is a very awkward war for Russia, my pervasive thought remains that it was a completely out-of-pocket bitchy and lovely thing to start this fight, and such a waste. They spent a decade fomenting this crap from every angle they could, breaking brains foreign and domestic everywhere in the process, and what they have is basically:

(1) The support of absolutely delusional and insane, pseudojournalist, extremely online self-hating neoliberals who fell for nebulous auspices of being a "leftist" by supporting this putsch
(2) A functional operating meatgrinder of a defeat
(3) Lost the room and the international stage
(4) "Enhanced partnerships" with several increasingly apathetic countries.
(5) Any post-wall-drop/cold war good faith tossed out the window. Not that bombing Idlib to the ground wasn't a big red flag a while back or anything :gonk: but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Wtf is the untreated heart issue he's referring to because double lmao of he can't survive without his meds. loving dipshit, I wonder what china tells its citizens about that dumbass war.