Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they're updating the die-axis

mods please do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

White Rock posted:

Does anyone have any tips of books/resources of future projections of what is gonna happen in the next 30 years assuming the thread consensus of "we won't do poo poo about climate change"?

vyelkin_climate_change_post.txt

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

you won't find any books written about something like that because, genuinely, the data and effects continue to get worse at a rate so much quicker than expected that any book is out of date before it's published.
i remember when the uninhabitable earth was considered the darkest climate book in this thread and it already looks quaint

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The pictures of the runaway iceberg are spectacular though:

https://twitter.com/BBCAmos/status/1747162539975131196

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

White Rock posted:

Does anyone have any tips of books/resources of future projections of what is gonna happen in the next 30 years assuming the thread consensus of "we won't do poo poo about climate change"?

Most stuff I find is all about "by 2100..." which is probably a reason why people are so not bothered by climate doom.

A quote I've heard in real life many times is "yeah poo poo is gonna suck for future generations".

Bitch you're in your thirties, shits gonna suck FOR YOU, but also especially for future generations of course.

Things will be fine. Great, even.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/375610074_Recalibration_of_limits_to_growth_An_update_of_the_World3_model

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

White Rock posted:

Most stuff I find is all about "by 2100..." which is probably a reason why people are so not bothered by climate doom.

A quote I've heard in real life many times is "yeah poo poo is gonna suck for future generations".

Bitch you're in your thirties, shits gonna suck FOR YOU, but also especially for future generations of course.

collapse, in our global systems world, has zero precedent

systems that reach in to, and rely upon, every single moment of our days will destabilize

what we act in, communicate with, and have expectations for, will be increasingly shocked/traumatized at intervals that will be met with numbness

life will cheapen, manmade horrors will surround us

we will band together as best we can

-

but really, i think hurricane katrina has a lot of lessons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8cCsi01bk

with the reactionary movement, the balkanization and civil war stuff from the 90s is another

but with a lot more meal team 6 guys on those recreational off-road vehicles

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

someone was saying we’ll see another 0.5C in the next 6 months due to aerosol demasking, so summer should be pretty lit

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Man, remember when there was widespread racial violence during Katrina and no one ever faced any consequences or even really talked about it? That's the future of america.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Puppy Burner posted:

Man, remember when there was widespread racial violence during Katrina and no one ever faced any consequences or even really talked about it? That's the future of america.

Future? lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Puppy Burner posted:

it is literally the past and present, as evidenced by the sentence you typed.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Car Hater posted:

We're all going to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTfbPrRZYHs

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

White Rock posted:

not really a projection/what's up book but might be useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SAS_Survival_Handbook

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

^ i'm starting to call this "80s brain"

a certain type of genx/elder-millenial thats still hilariously stuck in rugged individualist survival rambo fantasies

too late for lead, too early for internet, 100% nonstop a-team re-runs going on in their head

the kind of person who made it past season 2 of any zombie show

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Erghh posted:

not really a projection/what's up book but might be useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_SAS_Survival_Handbook

I got this, a Bear Grylls one and a self-defence one when I was watching Japan Sinks 2020 after the first lockdown ended. Fun summer.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

MightyBigMinus posted:

a certain type of genx/elder-millenial thats still hilariously stuck in rugged individualist survival rambo fantasies

too late for lead, too early for internet, 100% nonstop a-team re-runs going on in their head

and its going to make some amazing content

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Um my bug-out bag has a canteen AND a camouflage tarp,... I think I'll be fine when climate change finally happens.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MightyBigMinus posted:

stop doxxing me

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Laterite posted:

stop doxxing me

No, it’s fine. They meant me.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

hey now, walking dead season 3 was good. arguably the best (thanks to The Governor)

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
So since it's getting warmer, that means I should put in a pool, right? I'll probably have a couple years at least to enjoy it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
IMO the only thing worth stockpiling is industrial feedstock chemicals. You'll be the Soap Baron of the struggling farmholds thanks to the two tons of sodium hydroxide buried in your basement. And even that will only last a few months until a gang of raiders murders you in your sleep.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1748346370417901993

nice

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm telling you, cover the ocean with pingpong balls

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

once we get the microplastics small enough it'll turn back into oil and we can burn it

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
https://twitter.com/WandawomanW/status/1748367502617330022

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Some back of the envelope math:

The largest glacier complex in Antarctica, the Antarctic Peninsula Ice Body, has a surface area of about 80,852 km^2. If you wanted to cover this area in aluminized mylar, you'd need about 1.1*10^8 kilograms of aluminum (assuming a deposition thickness of 0.5 microns. Annual production of aluminum is about 6.52*10^10 kilograms. All glaciers total have an area of about 786,800 km^2, which would require 1.1*10^9 kilograms of aluminum.

So we have enough aluminum to do it. It would take a non-trivial fraction of our annual aluminum production to do it, but we have the metal. The problem would be producing and installing that much aluminized mylar and not having it be instantly ruined by rocks, weather, plants, animals, people, pollution, dust...

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
SimEarth had a really good climate model for such a primitive game

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honest question why is everyone obessed with surviving 'the collapse' as long as possible? Like if you make it 5 years its not like poo poo gets any easier or better, itll just be worse, hotter, more polluted with less food and access to medicine and aid than when the 'collapse' started. Im queer so I'll be eaten by chuds asap which colors my thinking a bit and i will absolutely go insane without mood stabilizers but im like, honestly confused a bit. Im doing literally 0 preparation that also doesnt apply to a major earthquake. Interruptions to society that last months or years in our current world sorta fall into a living will envy the dead category for me I guess.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

you're right. there's no sense in preparing for a "collapse" because it's not gonna happen in a sudden and dramatic way. but if it does (say, someone makes a boo boo and nukes go off, i dunno), all of your prep would be ineffectual anyway, so it's not even worth it then. the only real prepper tool is a revolver with 1 bullet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i used to watch that doomsday prepper show on natgeo or whatever a decade ago. very entertaining. full of people that think the end of the world is a chance to live out their lone survival fantasies, when really it's just dying slowly of sepsis after you accidentally slam your thumb in a rifle breech

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Jan 19, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Source4Leko posted:

Honest question why is everyone obessed with surviving 'the collapse' as long as possible? Like if you make it 5 years its not like poo poo gets any easier or better, itll just be worse, hotter, more polluted with less food and access to medicine and aid than when the 'collapse' started. Im queer so I'll be eaten by chuds asap which colors my thinking a bit and i will absolutely go insane without mood stabilizers but im like, honestly confused a bit. Im doing literally 0 preparation that also doesnt apply to a major earthquake. Interruptions to society that last months or years in our current world sorta fall into a living will envy the dead category for me I guess.

I was suicidal most of my life and only just managed to fix that so i really wanna just wanna experience life to the fullest. If i just lay down and die thats boring and lame.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I really appreciate daily things like unlimited electricity and safe running water but what I would really miss would be like, restaurants and poo poo

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

silicone thrills posted:

I was suicidal most of my life and only just managed to fix that so i really wanna just wanna experience life to the fullest. If i just lay down and die thats boring and lame.

I mean same, but im not lying down and waiting to die now. Like now is when im living, becauese we will have a mildly functioning biosphere and society (lol). Im asking the people making plans for during or after the collapse happens why. Not now, go live now sure as poo poo hell I'm going to a rave tonight lol.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Source4Leko posted:

Prepping is a coping mechanism for some people.

Also being alive is better than being dead.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Questionable under circumstances I can imagine for myself but I can see your point as well.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

If I give up right away then I won't be able to read posts anymore :shrug:

Thankfully SA will last through the apocalypse

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i have so many books i still want to read

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

dumping all my styrofoam waste in the empty lot behind Albertsons to help increase earth’s albedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

I had a friend at high school in the early 90s who was obsessed with the SAS Survival Handbook. All his pocket money was spent buying mail order army surplus gear.

He had an (admittedly kickin' rad) Black Widow catapult. I remember one time after school he called our house and said I had to come over. Turned out he'd managed to kill a sparrow with it, and proceeded to pluck, gut, and cook it. He ended up with 3 or 4 pieces of meat about the size of a fingernail.

He also ended up seriously ill after deciding to spend the weekend living in a shelter he tried to build following the book and foraging for edible plants and mushrooms.

And yeah, he had detailed plans drawn up on how to bug out and survive in the event of a zombie apocalypse.